PDA

View Full Version : TV: The Legend of the Seeker

SamuraiOdin
Tue, 02-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Edit: See http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=401332&postcount=9 for news on 10/09/08

A letter to all my fans RE: TV Mini-Series!

www.sanctuaryslight.com/mystarpics/Mock-up-1.jpg

Dear Readers,

Now that the announcement about the TV series has been officially released, I would like to take this opportunity to put it in perspective and fill in some of the details. (Please keep in mind that some of this might change as things evolve.)
The first season will be 22 one hour episodes, on Saturday evenings, probably at either 8 or 9 pm. Since this is a syndicated program you will need to check your local listings for the station in your area.
The first season will cover the story of WIZARD'S FIRST RULE. Along with exciting opportunities afforded by the air time in which we have to tell the story, the TV series also brings unique challenges. All film formats — TV series, mini-series, or feature films — must, to a greater or lesser extent, alter the novel in order to translate the story from words to pictures. A feature film has severe limitations of time, requiring major parts of novels to be cut out. Sam Raimi knew that a feature film of WIZARD'S FIRST RULE could never work to tell the story. That's why he wanted to do a long format TV show. I'm especially pleased that we are going to be doing 22 one hour episodes to tell this epic story — much more time than a mini-series would have afforded. That said, there must still be changes, yet within those changes lie exciting opportunities.
You may have noticed in the press release that Sam Raimi said "produced with compelling, self-contained episodes." The nature of TV syndication requires that each week's episode be a story in itself, meaning that while the TV series will follow the background story of the book, it will not be able to follow the book exactly because there would be parts that would make an incomplete episode.
Therein lies the opportunity. The TV series, being visual, will actually require that we expand on the book in order to make each of these episodes work. Since each episode will have to be able to stand alone, some places will require additional material, so, as an example, we may incorporate some of the backstory into the show, showing, say, George Cypher going to get The Book of Counted Shadows. This means that the series will actually have more story content than the novel.
No series (or mini-series, or feature film) can follow the underlying book exactly. Sam Raimi and his team want to keep the TV series true to my vision, so rest assured that I am going to be intimately involved in the writing of each of the episodes. If you love the book just the way it is, then enjoy the book for what it is and come to the TV series prepared to enjoy the show for what it is.
Besides Sam Raimi, Josh Donen, and Rob Tapert, (see their credits in the press release) Disney ABC Domestic Television was excited by the prospect of the series and they wanted to be involved. Besides being involved with producing the series, Disney also wants to be able to develop WIZARD'S FIRST RULE and the characters into a franchise. To that end they have bought all the rights to my work (except book rights, of course). That means everything from merchandising rights to game rights to feature film rights all based on the books and the characters. Like many studios, Disney will not become involved in any project of this nature unless they can obtain all the rights, and those rights must all be clean. This is the reason I've never allowed any portion of the rights to be sold or used. To maintain the value of pristine rights it was necessary not to allow, for example, anyone to make copies of the Sword of Truth, or to buy game rights. In order to make a deal like this the rights had to be virgin.
With Disney now on board we have some of the most gifted people in the world working to make this project not just exciting but successful.
All this said, I would like to interject a note of caution. In projects of this nature involving vast sums of money there are always things that can go wrong. For example, while the rights to many books are sold or optioned very few of these ever see the light of a bright screen. Many books, even though there is initial enthusiasm, in reality are simply not a good fit for film. Announcements of book rights being sold are quite common; having such rights ever end up as a finished product is actually exceedingly rare. Because so much money is involved in the production of films there are countless stages at which a project can be stopped cold.
In this series for WIZARD'S FIRST RULE, for instance, the production team may come up with a great script, and I may love it, but Disney, because they are financing the project, could for any reason decide to kill the show. Because of the quality and skill of the people involved I don't think that will happen, but I want you to understand that it is always possible. The fact that we have gotten this far, and that production is being put in place, is a testament to how much this book is sincerely loved by everyone involved, right up to Sam Raimi, Josh Donen, Rob Tapert, and the top executives at Disney.
Also, keep in mind that while Disney is excited and wants to possibly do a lot more with my books and characters, it may take quite some time for those other things to develop — if they ever do. The more popular the TV series is the better the chances there will be spinoffs, feature films, video games, and merchandise. Disney now has the rights to all those things and we will all have to wait and see what comes of it.
For now we have the TV series starting production and that's very exciting.
By now I'm sure you have noticed the beautiful accompanying art. This is the preliminary art for the show. Because I think it looks great I wanted everyone to see it, to see the beautiful work done by the people at Disney, so we were able to obtain special permission to post it. Keep in mind that this is preliminary artwork. The kissing couple, for example, will eventually be replaced by the actual actors playing Richard and Kahlan.
The series is going to be filmed in New Zealand. American actors will have the major parts, while some of the minor parts may be actors from that part of the world.
While the first cuts of the auditions will be handled by casting people, Sam Raimi assured me that he and I will both be involved in the final selections of the actors.
If I know in advance when the auditions will be held I will try to get permission to post that information on the website. Keep in mind that this is a professional production, not American Idol. Sam Raimi will not be casting parts based on how much a person loved the books, or that I got a scribbled letter begging that they please, please, please be allowed to play Kahlan. That's simply not how these things are done. If you want to try out for a part, then ask your talent agency if they can get you an audition.
I have heard from a lot of people appealing for my help in everything from getting them in front of a camera to getting them a job working on the set. I have a big part to play in this production but it is in the creative area, not the human resources department. I hear all the time from people who tell me things like how they simply must play the part of Richard because no one loves the books more than they do and all their friends tell them that they think just like Richard. Well, let me tell you, none of you love the books as much as I do and no one thinks more like Richard than me, and they still aren't going to let me play the part of Richard. The part is going to go to an actor who is right for the part, period.
If you want a part in the series, or a job with the production, please do not waste your time writing to me imploring my help. I'm not the person to contact about such things. I have no involvement with those aspects of the series. Please be advised that with all I have to do I can no longer answer letters about acting parts, auditions, or production jobs. If it's all right with the casting people I will post audition information as it becomes available. With as tight as the time schedule is that may not be possible.
This is a professional production. If you want to be involved, and you are a professional, then you already know what you need to do.
I'm truly fortunate to have the opportunity to help shape this series. It's humbling that such experienced and talented people want my creative input. It's an exciting time and I promise to work my hardest to make it not just the best show on TV but to keep it true to the spirit of the book and especially the characters.
I must confess that to a degree it's rather daunting to have other people now developing a TV series from my work and possibly doing a great deal more with it. However, there is no way I could have more talented and visionary people than those now involved with the filming of WIZARD'S FIRST RULE. I look forward to being able to tell more of the story than just what is in the book.
I know that I have the support and best wishes of my readers, and even though I rarely get the chance to tell you so, it sincerely does mean a great deal to me to have your support and encouragement. You all give me strength. Without all of you I would not be able to do any of this. Through your love of the books you have helped make this next step possible.
As things progress and there is any news I will try to keep you all informed. Stay tuned to www.terrygoodkind.net or www.terrygoodkind.com

All best wishes,

Terry Goodkind

Kraco
Wed, 02-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Goddam that dude loves his own voice (in a written form). The books, especially the last ones, could have been edited to a third of their length and you'd have never noticed something was missing (I think selling millions of books has made his publisher release his novels without any editing). The same with that letter. He's saying he'd be involved in making the TV scripts but fortunately the director has the last word.

KitKat
Wed, 02-27-2008, 06:07 PM
This is the first I've heard of this, but it sounds like this could be really good. I read quite a few of these books until I got caught up to what had been written a number of years ago, and didn't feel like reading all the beginning ones again when the next book came out. So, I haven't read the past few newer ones, but eventually will one day. I'm very interested to see how this translates into television format.

And who knows, Kraco, this could be a vast improvement, since a live-action story will cut out most of the verbiage :P

Assassin
Wed, 02-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Well, im not going to read that giant blog post from the author, so someone please give me a quick summary of what these books are about.

Inazuma
Thu, 02-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Well, im not going to read that giant blog post from the author, so someone please give me a quick summary of what these books are about.

Yes, please.

SamuraiOdin
Thu, 02-28-2008, 01:56 PM
First book of the series (Wizard's First Rule of the Sword of Truth series), taken from Wikipedia (Obviously contains spoilers)

The primary protagonist in Wizard’s First Rule is Richard Cypher, a young woods guide. Richard lives in an area of the world known as Westland, which is the only part of the world that at the time contained no magic. The Westland is separated from the other lands by a dangerous magical boundary that prevents anyone from passing through it. On the other side of the boundary lie many sovereign nations, jointly known as the Midlands, and the empire of D'Hara. Richard works as a woods guide leading important political figures through dangerous forests, while his brother's interests lie entirely in politics.

Richard is naturally compelled to investigate the mysterious murder of his father when he happens upon a woman named Kahlan Amnell, whom he helps keep alive as she is being hunted by a group of four men known as a quad.

After saving Kahlan’s life, it is revealed that Kahlan has somehow come through the boundary and is now searching for the First Wizard, who is rumored to have crossed into the Westland before the creation of the boundaries. Richard feels that this woman is in need of protection and takes her to the only man he can trust, his best friend and mentor, Zedd.

Richard discovers that this close friend of his has kept many secrets from him for his entire life; Zedd is not the simple man that Richard had presumed him to be, but rather the wizard for whom Kahlan is looking.

Kahlan tells him of the events taking place on the other side of the boundary. An evil leader called Darken Rahl is leading his army against the Midlands. At the same time, Zedd comes to the decision that Richard is the one Seeker of Truth and gives him the Sword of Truth. They begin their journey together to stop Darken Rahl and prevent him from opening the boxes of Orden, magical devices which could destroy the world.

However, due to a series of events, Richard and Kahlan are forced to cross the boundary alone and go on to the village of the Mud People in hopes of finding out where the third box of Orden is hidden. From there, they learn that only the witch woman, Shota, in Agaden Reach, has the power to reveal to them the location of the last box of Orden.

The story continues as it follows the team of Richard, Kahlan, Zedd and Chase as they attempt to collect one of the mysterious boxes of Orden and prevent Darken Rahl from gaining absolute power.

Sapphire
Thu, 02-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Well this sounds pretty awesome. I know Terry Goodkind is an aclaimed author, though I've never read anything by him. I just hope the series doesn't turn out like the Earthsea movie from a couple years back. (Am I the only one who hated it?)

Munsu
Fri, 02-29-2008, 06:38 PM
This looks quite good...been trying to get the book in my local Borders so I can read it when I go to the beach, but haven't had any luck.

SamuraiOdin
Wed, 10-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Well, after about 7 months it's time for an update.

Show starts November 1st, cast includes: Craig Horner (Richard), Bruce Spence (Zedd), Bridget Regan (Kahlan), Craig Parker (Darken Rahl), Jay Laga'aia (Chase), David de Lautour (Michael Cypher).

Official Site: http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/

IMDB Page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844653/

You can see the promo and short spots on Kahlan, Richard and Zedd, at: http://www.terrygoodkind.net/

Munsu
Sun, 11-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Well, it'll no longer be called The Wizard's First Rule, but The Legend of the Seeker:

Here are the first two episodes... hopefully they'll be good:
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1968628

SamuraiOdin
Mon, 11-03-2008, 03:15 AM
I've watched the first episode and have the second tivo'd to watch later. My initial thoughts on the series are fairly mixed. First off, the TV show does not stay true to the books, and instead goes it's own direction... sort of. The characters are still recognizable, and the plot is similar to the book, but it isn't the same, and some of the motivations are different (and while the characters are, as I said, recognizable, there are still differences). Still, it's been a while since a light fantasy show has been on TV (last I can remember is Hercules, though I'm sure there have been others), so I'm willing to give it a chance.

If you haven't read the books, the series seems more enjoyable (note the more, the series is still worth a look if you have read the books). While the acting seemed a little forced in the first episode, I'm willing to give this a little more time (4 or 5 episodes at least), to see how it all develops. It shows promise, and I'd advise people to stick with the series.

Munsu
Mon, 11-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Just watched them both... and I'm not liking it. It'll probably ruin my reading experience, so I don't think I'll watch any more.

Assassin
Mon, 11-03-2008, 07:44 PM
i've seen about 30 min of the first ep, and i'd have to agree with munsu. Even though i haven't finished reading the book, i have read enough to see the differences, and im not particularly enjoying them. They've pretty much destroyed the original storyline. The seeker isn't even 'the seeker of truth' anymore, they've made him a guy who 'seeks evil and destroys it'.....lame.

I thought the author was gonna keep an eye on things and make sure the show stayed true to the book. what a waste of a potentially good fantasy show.

Munsu
Mon, 11-03-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm with you...

Hated the lack of "Truth" with the Seeker... hated that he felt no pain when using the Sword of Truth. As SamuraiOdin explained, I didn't like the difference in the motives for the characters. And more than anything, it felt very very rushed. Even though the author of the books talked a ton of garbage in his books, the books are somewhat slow paced and the details are very important... the episodes screwed over the details of things. One thing that is really important in the book is the actions and it's consequences... the show lacked the consequences portion, there was only action and whatever.

How dumb was the boundary? Something that took like 3 days to cross, they took like two steps and that was it... foolish.

But I can see people unfamiliar with the book enjoying this for what it is... I thought the action was fairly good, and the effects were not bad. I can only imagine when more awesome spells are performed that it might look somewhat impressive.

But I'm still reading the books, and this vision of the series will ruin my experience.

animus
Tue, 11-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Never read the book or heard of the series. But, man they really ham up the acting.

I'm probably spoiled, but I just can't watch medieval series with American accents.

SamuraiOdin
Tue, 11-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Well, true to my word, I watched the second episode that I had tivo'd.

Contrary to my word, I will not give the show until episode 4 or 5. No more watching for me.

Inazuma
Tue, 11-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Format this shit series already.

KitKat
Mon, 11-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Finally got around to watching this. I'd rank this above Xena or Hercules, but not too far above. It's been long enough since I've read the books that I can completely separate this as it's own story, but I can see how it would be completely unbearable if I was currently reading the series. I think I'll stick with it because my roomie enjoys it, and we don't expect that it's going to be anything more than superficial characters and cheesy dialogue. It's a good background show to have on while I'm knitting, so that I can work on a bit more complicated knitting patterns without having to pay too much attention to the show.

Penner
Sun, 12-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Thought i'd ressurect this thread since season two is well underway.

Anyone else following this?

Season 2 is way better than season one, and i'm really liking this, its way better than Xena or Hercules now :D

Logrus
Sun, 12-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Really i only watched this because i heard somewhere its the Modern Xena but dont really like it anymore now that i have heard the difference between the book and the show.

They havent really explained why the Sword of Truth feeds of rage, or something about Richard having magic in him. Even worse in the early series they trained with invisible fruit to let Richard use his "seeker powers" but that wasent followed up.

Seems like the show is destroying itself, kinda a shame since i was looking for a substitute for Xena without a Gabriel character:P
(or maybe Kahlen seems to be evolving into a nagging Gabriel character)

Also they said something like "tho the seeker is alone he fights with he strength of many", thats like the biggest bull in this show. All the sword seems to be is the same as any sword. Bummer right there thought it would at least have some sort of higher cutting ability.

Follow up: Got pwned since the following episode followed up on all witch i whined about :P