PDA

View Full Version : Gotwoot's web site?

itadakimasu
Tue, 02-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Can somebody tell me how to set a website up like gotwoot..... in the since that you have background on either side and each page is a set width/height?

how would i set a page to be displayed like that with the page centered and a background color/design on either side?

FuzzMop
Tue, 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM
I know of a great resource for finding out how to do this. You can use this website (http://google.com) - I use it frequently.

complich8
Wed, 02-27-2008, 05:04 PM
right click, view source?

But seriously, the front page is wordpress using a fairly basic stylesheet. Googling for css tutorials would be a great start...

Augury
Wed, 03-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeah, look up .css if you've never heard of it - I would recommend learning from http://www.w3schools.com/.

If you're already familiar with css, basically you need to do 5 things for centering a div and 3 for a min-height:
1. define the width of your "holder" or "wrapper" divider
2. use text-align: center; in body
3. set margin: 0px auto; in your holder div - these two steps will center your holder div
4. set text-align: left; in your holder div - this puts your text and content back to the normal left alignment in your holder
5. put a min-width on body (same as your width, i think) - this is for IE, which doesn't recognize one of the above steps, I forgot which.
So, something like:
body {
text-align: center;
min-width: 600px;
}

holder {
width: 600px;
margin: 0px auto;
text-align: left;
}

For height, you can either set a definite height (which I wouldn't recommend in case of content overflow), or you can set a minimum height by doing something like:
height: 400px;
height: auto !important;
min-height: 400px;

Rather late, but oh well. Hope this helps.

James314
Sat, 03-08-2008, 05:04 PM
It is a simple wordpress page. If you are getting into web design it is an invaluable tool... get it at wordpress.org. It is nice, free, and used by many professional sites like CNN and yahoo.

itadakimasu
Fri, 04-25-2008, 04:19 PM
We're starting to redo our website here at work and I was tasked with the first phase of the project which was to identify a template to use....

well, i did. And it seems we're going to use it. We presented today to the owner and co-owner and they really liked it, the main page... which was a template but I completely re-did it and added pictures and text ;) woot...

anyhow, i made this thread trying to figure out the whole background thing. My partner on the project figured it out by putting an img into a style sheet that the site uses...

it works! i want to do blue scanlines but i tried and it doesn't look as good as what my partner put up on the site, its blue fading to white... looks really good w\ our site.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-06-2009, 08:32 AM
The title's appropriate, so I'm hijacking.

Has this website been acting erratically lately (as in <24hrs), or is it my connection that's gone crappy?

It's a bit better now, but a few (5-7?) hours ago, gw sites were usually stuck on "waiting for forum.gotwoot.net...." for up to a minute before it would load, according to Firefox's status bar.

Browser: Firefox 3.5

Kraco
Mon, 07-06-2009, 09:58 AM
It has happened before. The servers hosting Gotwoot are also hosting something else (or otherwise used for something else), though I don't remember what, and apparently occasionally there are burden peaks from those other uses. Or maybe Complich was just doing some maintenance. Even that is known to happen.

Marik
Mon, 07-06-2009, 11:52 AM
The title's appropriate, so I'm hijacking.

Has this website been acting erratically lately (as in <24hrs), or is it my connection that's gone crappy?

It's a bit better now, but a few (5-7?) hours ago, gw sites were usually stuck on "waiting for forum.gotwoot.net...." for up to a minute before it would load, according to Firefox's status bar.

Browser: Firefox 3.5

Yeah, this site has been loading slowly for me during the past 24 hours. It happened to me the other day as well.