PDA

View Full Version : Astrology

Junior
Fri, 02-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm curious. Any of you really into it?

Astrology - Star signs, tarot reading, dream interpretation books, palm readings etc. (well, this thread for that anyway ^^; )

I own loads of information on it. A massive file, a huge birthday book, runes, tarot cards...o.o; Some of it ca be quite true but some is just...complicated. O.o I can read tarot cards very well and all the readings I've done have come true. It gets a bit annoying tho...when your friends are like OMG SHOULD I TELL MY BF??? DO A READING QUICKLY

^Actually happened. And dream books don't make sense to me. I don't believe that. I do believe in palm readings. My dad can do it except he doesn't use books or anything, he has a natural ability for it. He did a few readngs in the past, and they all came true. Which is hilarious because my dad is the most moody, serious, anti-social person ever... I can't picture him doing palm readings. XDDD

But anyway, are you into it?

Board of Command
Fri, 02-22-2008, 01:51 PM
To answer your question: no.

XanBcoo
Fri, 02-22-2008, 01:54 PM
my dad is the most moody, serious, anti-social person ever... I can't picture him doing palm readings.
You really have no idea what kind of people do palm readings, do you?

Also I'm not into astrology, but my step-aunt did a star chart for me and all of my cousins. It makes predictions about my life, and it's pretty hit and miss. Just like all predictions.

Kraco
Fri, 02-22-2008, 01:56 PM
I have tarot cards along with a book describing how to use them, but I haven't bothered to learn pretty much anything from that book, and the cards are... somewhere. I have zero belief in such things but I just thought it would be cool to own such cards. I think too scientifically for such things even though I love fantasy in art.

saman
Fri, 02-22-2008, 02:02 PM
i'm with kraco on this one. the only reason i would ever own tarot cards would be to look at the art.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 02-22-2008, 02:08 PM
No.
Not a chance, and if someone tries to make a prediction about me, I'll be sure to hit him afterwards with a baseball bat (or an iron rod, whichever comes by hand first), and ask him "didn't see this one coming in your reading, eh?".
I think I might actually pay for a reading just for a chance to do this, it'll be worth the time in prison.

all that doesn't count if it's a girl doing the reading, then it's just a chance.

Junior
Fri, 02-22-2008, 03:11 PM
No.
Not a chance, and if someone tries to make a prediction about me, I'll be sure to hit him afterwards with a baseball bat (or an iron rod, whichever comes by hand first), and ask him "didn't see this one coming in your reading, eh?".
I think I might actually pay for a reading just for a chance to do this, it'll be worth the time in prison.

all that doesn't count if it's a girl doing the reading, then it's just a chance.

Well...you've got it wrong. They predict your future, not theirs. And it depends on the reader and if they know what they're doing. And for some reason, your reply is a very common reply. o.o;; The whole U CANT PREDICT MY LIFE thing. *shrugs*

You really have no idea what kind of people do palm readings, do you?

No. I don't go reading up 'what type of people read palms'. What kind of question is that?

i'm with kraco on this one. the only reason i would ever own tarot cards would be to look at the art.

Some of the art is so beautiful. I've even seen an anime tarot deck. XD But it was like...350 bucks. Funny.

In the end, I suppose it's more for open minded people. Or, I'm just a freak. Huzzah.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Well...you've got it wrong. They predict your future, not theirs. And it depends on the reader and if they know what they're doing. And for some reason, your reply is a very common reply. o.o;; The whole U CANT PREDICT MY LIFE thing. *shrugs*

sorry, I've got to call BULLSHIT on this one.

in this case, once I ve decided to get a reading with an iron rod and then go to prison becuase I hit the damn bitch (according to holywood, all readers are women, and are from a minority, like gypsies) it's part of my future, so it should be predicatble. tough luck.

also, if you try to say that by meeting with them I've changed my path and we've created a 'new future' that they don't read about, then getting a reading is pointless.

Junior
Fri, 02-22-2008, 03:24 PM
sorry, I've got to call BULLSHIT on this one.

in this case, once I ve decided to get a reading with an iron rod and then go to prison becuase I hit the damn bitch (according to holywood, all readers are women, and are from a minority, like gypsies) it's part of my future, so it should be predicatble. tough luck.

also, if you try to say that by meeting with them I've changed my path and we've created a 'new future' that they don't read about, then getting a reading is pointless.

Can you try not sounding rude? ^^;

anyway, you're getting confused. Tarot readings is when you ask a question, and the answer is given. The first 5 cards tell you what type of person they are, and the next 6 have to do with the future (well...somehow along the lines). It's not COME LET ME DO A READING. I SHALL REVEAL YOUR FUTURE.

That's crap. They're conning you if they tell you that. o-O I don't see how they can predict things without having guidelines.

My friend went for a reading. And it was crap, I swear, those people that make you pay, they just pull shit out of their asses. >.>;

Death BOO Z
Fri, 02-22-2008, 03:39 PM
ok, now we're going somewhere, you want to take this cow-by-cow.
we both agree that if you go to some astrolog/coffee reader/numrolog/graphologist and he tells you your past and future, it's bullshit, right?

so next we have "ask a deck of 40 cards a question and get someone to make an answer out of six cards that come out".
give me freakin' break.
I'm willing to bet you that if I "Open" these 11 cards and give them to 100 tarot readers without reveling any information about me, half of them will say the openning was done by a woman, half will say adult (over 40), half will say I'm about to meet someone new, half will say I'm about to have a fianncial breakthrough.
I'll have a better chance with flipping a coin or a magic 8-ball.

unless, of course, my gender, age, appearence, social statue have nothing to do with 'what type of person' am I.

of course, if you know someone who's prediction are always 'right on' and you insist that this someone is never wrong and has a 'gift', then it's just a belief situation, which I can never argue about.

I can be less rude, but when I call 'Bullshit' on something, the entire point is to be as stingy as possible.

KitKat
Fri, 02-22-2008, 04:41 PM
If the predictions are vague and general enough, or open to interpretation, then it's guaranteed that some if not all will be perceived as coming true. *shrugs* Personally, I find no truth or meaning in this kind of thing.

David75
Fri, 02-22-2008, 04:59 PM
I would be more interrested in what such a person could tell about myself... if they are any good at it.
Cause it seems that most of their gift is that, being able to see what people are.

Then I believe in auto-persuasion.
If the tarot girl is good enough, she should be able to help me persuade myself having more optimisim for my goals for example, or help me being less lazy or anything of a mental self persuasion thing that help you overcome things easier.

All of the rest is hit and miss and when you think it works, it's only because you tend to lie to yourself and don't want to be very clear in distinguishing reality from desires...

XanBcoo
Fri, 02-22-2008, 07:35 PM
No. I don't go reading up 'what type of people read palms'. What kind of question is that?
The idea of you thinking you need to "read up" on social experiences made me laugh a little. And assuming you've never met anyone else who's into the occult, I'll cut you some slack and tell you it's overwhelmingly "moody, anti-social" people.

Tarot readings is when you ask a question, and the answer is given. The first 5 cards tell you what type of person they are, and the next 6 have to do with the future
During a family gathering, one of my cousins (an admittedly moody and very anti-social girl) did Tarot readings on the rest of us. Turns out that every single card has several different interpretations, like, "This is the ___ card, it represents fortune, but it could also represent changes in your life, or sometimes it means you're worrying about something. If it's sitting next to this card then it also means something very bad."

Yes, it's that ridiculous.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-22-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm guessing Chinese Zodiac counts as astrology. Every time my mum goes at me for whatever reason, she occasionally refers to my being born in the year of the whatever, and goes they're always slack, and what not. I always end up saying that there's more statistical variation within each year than there is between each one, let alone people twelve years in age apart sharing a common flaw or future. Though, I have to admit, it does describe my character quite well. Coincidence of course.

Psyke
Fri, 02-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Most forms of zodiacs are generic enough to suit different people, giving the perception of accuracy. Like many here, I don't believe in any of these, including chinese zodiacs, signs, feng shui, etc.

Just to side track a bit..... As far as I know, successful politicians and tycoons have sworn by feng shui, but if you really want to believe in it, you've gotta lose a lot of freedom and it kills creativity.

Anyway, a quote from The Matrix:

Morpheus: Do you believe in fate, Neo?
Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why not?
Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

I feel the same way.

Animeniax
Fri, 02-22-2008, 11:48 PM
If the predictions are vague and general enough, or open to interpretation, then it's guaranteed that some if not all will be perceived as coming true. *shrugs*
Is this a direct quote from Water Boy?:D

I don't believe in astrology, but I do feel something out there controls everything. Like we're a giant ant farm, and occasionally the big hand prods us this way or that.

Junior
Sat, 02-23-2008, 09:40 AM
The idea of you thinking you need to "read up" on social experiences made me laugh a little. And assuming you've never met anyone else who's into the occult, I'll cut you some slack and tell you it's overwhelmingly "moody, anti-social" people.

During a family gathering, one of my cousins (an admittedly moody and very anti-social girl) did Tarot readings on the rest of us. Turns out that every single card has several different interpretations, like, "This is the ___ card, it represents fortune, but it could also represent changes in your life, or sometimes it means you're worrying about something. If it's sitting next to this card then it also means something very bad."

Yes, it's that ridiculous.

I had no idea. ^^; Thanks for telling me.

And you actually got it perfectly. One card has so many meanings, you WILL hit the jackpot when doing a reading. AND there are so many different ways of reading...@_@;

I would be more interrested in what such a person could tell about myself... if they are any good at it.
Cause it seems that most of their gift is that, being able to see what people are.

Then I believe in auto-persuasion.
If the tarot girl is good enough, she should be able to help me persuade myself having more optimisim for my goals for example, or help me being less lazy or anything of a mental self persuasion thing that help you overcome things easier.

All of the rest is hit and miss and when you think it works, it's only because you tend to lie to yourself and don't want to be very clear in distinguishing reality from desires...

Tarot girl. XDDD Omg that cracked me up. But I suppose mostly women do it since it requires intiuition? *shrugs* Anyway, most of the time, tarot readings tell you the most obvious things about yourself. e.g.

Question: Should I ask Sarah out?!
First card: You're nervous.
Second card: You're faced with decisions.
Third card: You worry about the outcome.
Fourth card: The past is playing a part in how you currently feel.
etc. etc. etc.

That's an example. 0_o Not a very...spot on one, but you get the idea. If the tarot reader is good enough, you'll be like OMG HOW DID U KNOW???WW?ERErmslgjkskgr

without reveling any information about me

You're not even talking about tarot readings now. You have to provide a question. I don't think you understand WHAT a reading is. It's not giving information about your money, or love, it's giving insight about your current position and answering your question. If your question has nothing to do with money, the reader won't mention money. Understand?

The question is how tarot readers are able to do a reading. You can't just talk a bunch of random shit. o_o If they do, then you can bring out your baseball bat.

Death BOO Z
Sat, 02-23-2008, 11:36 AM
anyway, you're getting confused. Tarot readings is when you ask a question, and the answer is given. The first 5 cards tell you what type of person they are, and the next 6 have to do with the future (well...somehow along the lines).

And then you say.

You're not even talking about tarot readings now. You have to provide a question. I don't think you understand WHAT a reading is. It's not giving information about your money, or love, it's giving insight about your current position and answering your question. If your question has nothing to do with money, the reader won't mention money. Understand?

If the reader gets the cards (order of draw, side of flop, whatever variabiles that might count) without meeting me in person or knowing anything about me, then the reader will probably won't be able to tell jack shit about me.

here's a question for the tarot cards... "should I quit my job?"
answer:

First card: You're nervous.
Second card: You're faced with decisions.
Third card: You worry about the outcome.
Fourth card: The past is playing a part in how you currently feel.
etc. etc. etc.

OMFG YOUR'E A GENIOUS!!!!1!!!!!1

we aren't talking about intuation/insight the person might have, that's simple advice or council. If I wanted these I'd go to someone I trust, not a crackpot woman (someone already spilled the beans, so it's not streotyping).

yep, I'm being rude again, the BULLSHIT card is still faced up.

Junior
Sat, 02-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Alright, take it easy. Jeez. It's discussion, not flame war.

If the reader gets the cards (order of draw, side of flop, whatever variabiles that might count) without meeting me in person or knowing anything about me, then the reader will probably won't be able to tell jack shit about me.

I've done readings for people I've never met and it seemed to work for them. And of course, my readings are not as simple as the example I gave. And... the example was a simple reading, a detailed one takes a lot of time.

Once again, depends on the reader.

(another thing I've noticed is, if you dabble in Psychology, you can do tarot readings. o_O)

You need to experience a reading by someone who can do it. It's not all that bad. And it's for FUN, why get worked up over it? If the reader did nothing for you, just let it go. It was your decision to go to some random 'tarot girl'.

Death BOO Z
Sat, 02-23-2008, 12:19 PM
(with absaloute no to connection to the hot pic junior posted)
Bullshit card is still on, so I get to be a jerk about the subject, I hope you weren't offended, but 'people who claim to be able to tell me how I should live my life' is one of the things that make my blood boil.

that wasn't a reading at all (simple or detailed). people are always nervous, are always faced with decisions, are always worried about the outcome, and are always effected by the past. it's the normal human condition. it's like saying: "you've been experincing some diffculties in your life, but this isn't the end of the road".
it's so vague that it fits anywhere in my life, or in my cat's life.
dabbleing in psychology (note: if you use an online spelling program, be sure to drop the Capital P ;) ) shouldn't teach you to do a reading (meanning of cards, meanning of the order of draw, etc), it is possible to lie better and become a better salesman with it, though.

what I tried to say earlier, is that if I challenge a reader to tell me "facts" about me without direct connection, they'll have a 50% to be right on the easiest questions; and if I can't trust the cards on telling you my gender/age, how can I trust the cards to reveal (and suggest about) more complex issues? I'd be better off just talking to the 'reader' on my problems and drop the 'middleman' (the cards).

If someone goes to get a reading for fun, that's non of my buisness, but I'm entitled to have an opinion about it, and that's what I'm sharing with you (= point of the topic, what we think about astrology).

did I mention that graphology (the "science" of getting information based on hand writings) is also idioticy? and so is numbrology (information based of numbric values of the name/date of birth). becuase we can argue on those as well.

Assassin
Sat, 02-23-2008, 01:31 PM
i think Death Boo Z was touched in the wrong place by tarot cards.

Anyway, in regards to astrology, i find it hard to believe that the movements of various balls of gas a bajillion miles away have an impact on my life. That being said, if you look at in a purely scientific way and take into consideration some of the modern theories about the nature of the universe, and the fact that we still dont know jack about how it really operates.....well then in that case it may be possible, although still very very far fetched.

From the point of view of newtonian physics, and every action having an equal and opposite reaction, you could say that predicting the future is possible ("but quantum mechanics blows that outta the water" - Samantha Carter, SG1 :p)

In short, i wont dismiss that its possible, but i also dont believe some old lady sitting in a tent can do it.

saman
Sat, 02-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Anyway, in regards to astrology, i find it hard to believe that the movements of various balls of gas a bajillion miles away have an impact on my life. That being said, if you look at in a purely scientific way and take into consideration some of the modern theories about the nature of the universe, and the fact that we still dont know jack about how it really operates.....well then in that case it may be possible, although still very very far fetched.

:OOO you totally stole that balls of gas thing from me! get out of my head!

("but quantum mechanics blows that outta the water" - Samantha Carter, SG1 :p)

ahaha such a geek

masamuneehs
Sun, 02-24-2008, 02:28 PM
lots of what I expected in this thread: people defending their convictions.

well, seriously, you'd have to be a dumb piece of shit if you think that everyone born in the same month is going to be more or less the same as each other. Knowing only the Zodiac signs, I rejected astrology as pure BS for a long time.

About two years ago, I met a girl who was really into astrology and all that hippy stuff, and she taught me a few things about it. She told me that, for example, horoscopes pertaining only to the main Zodiac sign are pretty much useless, but that if I did an entire horoscope using the date, time, and location, then you could draw up a star map for what it looked like when I was born. Surprisingly, there were a great deal of interesting tidbits in there that did ring true.

I use tarot cards when maybe once or twice a year, when I'm feeling confused or apprehensive. I use them as a way to find out how I really feel about certain things more than I use them to predict shit. If I "ask the deck a question", pull a card, I pay more attention to my reaction regarding the card's meaning and the question than the actual meaning of the card.

I think it's another tool you can learn to find out more about yourself. But if you're looking for guidance from the stars, you're probably just grasping at straws.

Assertn
Sun, 02-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Most forms of zodiacs are generic enough to suit different people, giving the perception of accuracy. Like many here, I don't believe in any of these, including chinese zodiacs, signs, feng shui, etc.
This is true....however a friend of mine was always pretty good at pulling a reverse-prediction with zodiacs: He could guess which zodiac you are based on your outward personality. He also observed that how well or how bad he gets along with someone strongly parallels the relationship between their corresponding zodiacs. Of course he usually comes to the conclusion as to whether or not he will get along with someone way before his suspicion of their zodiac is confirmed.

It's pretty strange...

Junior
Fri, 02-29-2008, 04:02 PM
(with absaloute no to connection to the hot pic junior posted)
Bullshit card is still on, so I get to be a jerk about the subject, I hope you weren't offended, but 'people who claim to be able to tell me how I should live my life' is one of the things that make my blood boil.

that wasn't a reading at all (simple or detailed). people are always nervous, are always faced with decisions, are always worried about the outcome, and are always effected by the past. it's the normal human condition. it's like saying: "you've been experincing some diffculties in your life, but this isn't the end of the road".
it's so vague that it fits anywhere in my life, or in my cat's life.
dabbleing in psychology (note: if you use an online spelling program, be sure to drop the Capital P ;) ) shouldn't teach you to do a reading (meanning of cards, meanning of the order of draw, etc), it is possible to lie better and become a better salesman with it,though.

what I tried to say earlier, is that if I challenge a reader to tell me "facts" about me without direct connection, they'll have a 50% to be right on the easiest questions; and if I can't trust the cards on telling you my gender/age, how can I trust the cards to reveal (and suggest about) more complex issues? I'd be better off just talking to the 'reader' on my problems and drop the 'middleman' (the cards).

If someone goes to get a reading for fun, that's non of my buisness, but I'm entitled to have an opinion about it, and that's what I'm sharing with you (= point of the topic, what we think about astrology).

did I mention that graphology (the "science" of getting information based on hand writings) is also idioticy? and so is numbrology (information based of numbric values of the name/date of birth). becuase we can argue on those as well.

(haha thanks ^^; )

haha, you're actually getting it now! XD It's all about method and making the person believe you're a OMG REAL TAROT CARD READER. That's kinda what a skilled tarot reader is basically. I think they call it...the 'warm and cold reading' method, or something. Like that John Edward used to do. o_O

And yeah, you kinda got a point. *shrugs* I don't really think too much on it. Things like this shouldn't be taken too seriously. That just...causes problems. =/

Well...I don't know about Numerology, but graphology? I heard about that, but does it have any real...uh...credibility? o.o

Assertn, this friend of yours sounds amazing. D: I'm jealous. :(

Death BOO Z
Tue, 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Junior, if that's the point, why can't I go and SPEAK to this person, and have him analyize me the normal way? why do I need the middleman (middleman being the cards)? I didn't say that people aren't smart and emphatic and what not, I merely said that Tarot cards are crap.

Graphology, suprisingly, has a majorr acceptence and credibilty, a lot of job 'tests'/'auditions'
use it. It can tell you alot about a person, but if you hear someone saying that the writing hints perssonality traits ("this guy has a napoleon complex" or "this guy just broke up with his girlfriend"), then he's probably wanking your tail.

Kraco
Wed, 03-05-2008, 02:38 AM
Junior, if that's the point, why can't I go and SPEAK to this person, and have him analyize me the normal way? why do I need the middleman (middleman being the cards)? I didn't say that people aren't smart and emphatic and what not, I merely said that Tarot cards are crap.

When you go to a psychiatrist or psychologist I doubt they will approach you with a deck of cards. However, an intuitive layman may need something like the cards as a medium to be able to "analyse" you, especially and maybe essentially if the person believes in those cards. Such a person might be unable to consult you without the cards (or other medium) because of the lacking special training (in psychology or psychiatry or something else) or because it wouldn't exactly fill the same purpose.

If an average person happens to pay a tarot card reader for some probing, I doubt he/she is really doing (or should be doing) it instead of going to a psychiatrist or psychologist or some special consultant (bankruptcy, marriage crisis, whatever). So, it's also a matter of attitude on both sides.

Well, that's just how I see it. No doubt there are also people who see tarot cards with dead seriousness.