PDA

View Full Version : The usage of the term "yarou"

Nadia
Tue, 02-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Hehe... Ive been meaning to ask this...cuz its really annoying and confusing. Whats the general understanding of the term yarou amongst Japanese speakers? Kono yaro is translated to 'you ba$tard' , but if it really means that, then why is it used in anime/manga for 12-13 year olds? And then I rememeber Sasuke addressing Kakashi as 'Kakashi no yaro' in the Naruto OVA 3 and also the Tazuna arc. If it really means that then thats pretty rude, even for Sasuke's standards dont you think? What I mean to ask is what sort of shock value it carries in the Japan and is it appropriate enough to be used to adress your teachers.

TheBladeChild
Tue, 02-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Iv heard some translations that uses "why you!" instead of "you bastard!"

saman
Tue, 02-19-2008, 12:58 PM
as far as i can tell, it seems to be a really informal, almost insulting way of addressing someone

David75
Tue, 02-19-2008, 02:00 PM
It seems that in asian culture, anything that implies the slightest devaluation of the person you're talking to is highly offensive.
That's how I understand it.
So to me "yarou" should be considered an insult.

But I can be really wrong.

Also keep in mind the warning that language in anime seems to be far away in its informal way from the actual everyday language.

Board of Command
Tue, 02-19-2008, 07:00 PM
It seems that in asian culture, anything that implies the slightest devaluation of the person you're talking to is highly offensive.
That's how I understand it.
So to me "yarou" should be considered an insult.

But I can be really wrong.
You are wrong. At least in China, people insult each other all the time.

David75
Wed, 02-20-2008, 01:21 AM
You are wrong. At least in China, people insult each other all the time.

Ok so it was japan only?

Board of Command
Wed, 02-20-2008, 02:00 AM
Possibly, since everything is super polite in Japan.

Nadia
Wed, 02-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Mmmhmmm, I'm from South East Asia, and there is a word we use their, Sala or Sali: it literally means 'wifes brother/sister' but can also be used as a soft cuss word among friends and family, (not something that'll make your parents mad) but takes on much stronger connotations when u use it as a fighting word. Maybe 'yarou' is the same thing. Its ok within friends and family, but the tone of the voice and the situation is what decides whether its a bad word or not. Am I right? (To anyone who knows Japanese culture)

Buffalobiian
Wed, 02-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Can someone translate that phrase into kanji? I could have a guess at it then.

Psyke
Wed, 02-20-2008, 08:22 AM
野郎, or yarou, is a impolite or rude way of address a male. It doesn't directly mean bastard, but since there isn't as many different levels of polite/humble speech in English, translators often use bastard to get the meaning of hostility or impoliteness across.

For people wanting to know more about the different Japanese pronouns and the different ways of saying "you" or "me" (such as watashi and boku), check out this page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_pronouns).

Assassin
Wed, 02-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Mmmhmmm, I'm from South East Asia, and there is a word we use their, Sala or Sali: it literally means 'wifes brother/sister' but can also be used as a soft cuss word among friends and family, (not something that'll make your parents mad)

I dunno about that, my parents wouldn't appreciate me using sala/sali in normal conversation :p...although i have heard my dad use it on occasion, when he's riled up about something.

Nadia
Wed, 02-20-2008, 10:23 AM
So.... if someone you know well refers to u as "(insert name here) no yaro" waht sort of 'shock' value will it have to the avg Japanese person? I mean, will it be the same as "that damned (name)", or "that rascal?"

I dunno about that, my parents wouldn't appreciate me using sala/sali in normal conversation :p...although i have heard my dad use it on occasion, when he's riled up about something.
Hehe! Uh huh... well my dad doesnt mind much, but my mom frowns, but its not like a really bad word is it? It might be considered impolite, but its not like your mom will try to shove a bar of soap down ur throat if you say it.. (That happened to my brother once, he was 10 and muttered an obscenity. my mom heard it and pushed him to the bathroom and then...wellll:eek: )

By the way are u from India or Pakistan?:D

Psyke
Wed, 02-20-2008, 10:35 AM
So.... if someone you know well refers to u as "(insert name here) no yaro" waht sort of 'shock' value will it have to the avg Japanese person? I mean, will it be the same as "that damned (name)", or "that rascal?"

Someone who knows you well won't use yarou, and will use your name directly. Anyway, you don't use it like that. Kono (この) means "this", and yarou means something like "guy", or "fellow". Doesn't really sound rude, but it's far from polite.

Nadia
Wed, 02-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Someone who knows you well won't use yarou, and will use your name directly
But can it be used among friends, like jokingly, in a casual sort of way? What sort of shock value does it carry for the average Japanese person? It might not be as bad as b****** cuz they use it in anime and manga all the time...
And yeah, I know anime/manga speech is different, but still the moms in Japan like all other moms in the world, won't want their kids to watch anime in which the main character cusses like a sailor, right?

Assassin
Wed, 02-20-2008, 12:50 PM
I think the english equivalent of that might be something like "this man"....its not rude per se, but you wouldn't refer to a stranger, like that.

And nadia, im from pakistan. you?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Breaking down the Kanji literally, 野郎 means wild/barbaric/unrefined male. It doesn't really mean that, but it gives an indication of the rudeness I guess. I'd put it on par with calling someone "What, like this idiot here?" when you're quite pissed at them for something.

edit: thinking about it, the word that I think matches best is "punk"

Nadia
Thu, 02-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Okay thankyou guys I get it now. Ive been watching anime for a long time and Ive been hearing yarou and up till now I dint kno what it meant. So thankyou!!

And nadia, im from pakistan. you?

Same here! Hey! Nice to meet you! Didnt kno I'd find a fellow Pakistani on this forum!!

Animeniax
Sun, 03-02-2008, 12:18 AM
I think half the forum members are pakistani.

It's weird in the Japanese language but there are so many ways to say "you", with different levels of respect implied according to what you choose. It's kind of neat really, and speaks to the hierarchical nature of Japanese society.

I've always wondered what they were saying in anime when they say "timmay" and it is translated as "you bastard".

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-02-2008, 08:54 AM
It's more than just that though. There are all the suffixes (or the significance with a lack of one), various genders and levels of saying "I", and the 15 different ways of bowing to show anything from respect, the standard, 30° bow, to your own deepest shame, the dogeza. [Though bowing is not part of the language, it goes way beyond most Western apologies.] Their entire language and culture are backed by tradition.

Japanese syllables are phonetic, and most (if not all) the vowels are short. the "you bastard" is 'Teme.'

I kind of wish English had the same level of complexity that Japanese does. It makes it a lot easier to convey expression in written form or over the internet. We have to rely on emphasis because all our expressions are set by tone and inflection. It's almost as if English is a spoken language, and Japanese is a written one.