PDA

View Full Version : Movie: There Will Be Blood

masamuneehs
Sat, 02-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I really liked it. Even at almost three hours long, it didn't feel like a movie that dragged on too long.

One of the most excellent soundtracks in a recent film. The movie manages to show so many details without feeling long partly because of the music. You're constantly faced with rather ordinary affairs, but the off-kilter, tension building music makes you feel like it's not just ordinary affairs, that there's something in the details worth paying attention to.

Good acting performances all around. Was surprised at how well the boy did in some scenes. I have some problems with Eli as a character, but I thought the actor who played him did well.

The only scene I have any complaint with is the "baptism" scene. I really thought it could have been stronger. Somehow, most of that scene felt comical to me, and I thought it could have really been a nasty, gripping, moving scene. It's too bad too, because I think if that one scene would have been a little better it would have set up the rest of the movie to be even more epic.

Oscar worthy? Definitely for the music. Sure as hell beats the crap out of The Departed.

Genma
Sat, 02-16-2008, 01:33 PM
I watched this a few weeks ago and, though I'd never spend my own hard-earned cash to see it, I thought the movie was decent. Daniel Day-Lewis and the kid who played H.W. were the only actors I felt stood out in this movie... even though H.W. rarely talked and after his accident didn't say anything at all. Eli was the most annoying character I've seen in a movie in a long time, and his actor needs to go back to playing roles like Klitz from Girl Next Door.

Again, I think it's another movie that's just too profound for me or something. I didn't understand the Oscar appeal of No Country for Old Men, and the same goes for this one. For some reason I think the movies nowadays are just trying too hard to be profound, but luckily I liked this movie a lot more than No Country.

Anyways, the abrupt ending was a total WTF? moment for me. So far, nothing has topped Rambo and if I had it my way (which would result in the apocalypse), I'd give every Oscar to Rambo because every other movie made from late 2007 to early 2008 tries too hard... when good ol' Rambo keeps it nice and simple.

If you have a choice between this, Cloverfield, No Country, or Rambo, go see Rambo. I feel like I'm the only one who's seen it because nobody posts on the thread I made.

But yeah... summed up, this movie was decent I guess.