PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interrested in the EEEPC?

David75
Thu, 02-07-2008, 08:59 AM
I may need something like this for work.
The advantage being the ultra portability and the fact that it's easy to put XP inside if needed.
Also SDHC cards tend to become cheaper and cheaper, or even a usb 2.5 drive (though drawing more current)

a 2Gb DDR2 stick is cheap too.
That thing can go back to its 900Mhz CPU spec (underclocked from factory) and be a decent thing to handle around for commercial purpose I have with my job.

Is there somone here playing with one of those things?
I know the screen is small, as the keyboard. But that's also a big advantage when you have to get in and out your car every hour visiting a new customer... that wants pictures for chosing anything you may sell them.

Board of Command
Thu, 02-07-2008, 09:30 AM
A classmate of mine owns an EEE, so I've seen it first hand. It's intend very small; in fact, it looks like a toy. It's about as heavy as a bag of potato chips. Despite its size, the battery only lasts about 2 hours. Smaller the laptop, smaller the battery.

With that said, for $400 this is an excellent value for a true UMPC. Build quality seems pretty decent and it has most of the functions of a regular laptop.

Assertn
Thu, 02-07-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm actually not too familiar with them...

So they're really small, cheap laptops?
As in, EEE!!! ^_^ PC!?

David75
Thu, 02-07-2008, 03:22 PM
A classmate of mine owns an EEE, so I've seen it first hand. It's intend very small; in fact, it looks like a toy. It's about as heavy as a bag of potato chips. Despite its size, the battery only lasts about 2 hours. Smaller the laptop, smaller the battery.

With that said, for $400 this is an excellent value for a true UMPC. Build quality seems pretty decent and it has most of the functions of a regular laptop.

Asus made quite a clever move.
As of yet the thing is just on the verge of being very attractive.
It has limitations, but can be practical and useful. Price is a tad high as of yet. This will evolve for sure.

Why am I stating clever?
Well the screen will be bigger in the future. Room is already there.
Procs will consume less and less power for better performance
We are right at the beggining of SSDs and Wireless broadband.

By starting now with this little thing they create their niche and start gaining experience from it before everyone else. Very clever.

I did not have the chance to try one because they started sales at the end of january in France.
I do not think the market is that huge yet here. With a bigger screen that would be a powerful simple internet access... With that screen it's more for niche use and geeks :D

I'll wait for a nice offer, cause I have lots of things I could do with it. it's a true pc after all.

There's already a very strong community creating nice hardware mods like integrating bluetooth inside by stripping a USB BT dongle and cleverly putting it inside.
The same could be done for a GPS dongle I guess...

That thing might become a great tool from its 3rd gen on... it already is, but I can't help dreaming ahead;)