PDA

View Full Version : JDrama: Kamen Rider/Sentai Thread

Phoenix20578
Mon, 02-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I realize that this might be a strech, but there might be some other Kamen Rider/ Sentai fans here than just me and Psyke. If not, become one. TV-Nihon subs most of the series that are released.

TV-Nihon (http://www.tv-nihon.com)

This year, there is a new Rider and a new sentai.

Kamen Rider Kiva seems....a little off so far. t's not as good as Den-O initially was.

The new sentai has yet to release, but I'm already sceptical of it. It looks.....idk >_<

Psyke
Mon, 02-04-2008, 11:48 AM
I was wondering the same thing recently, about whether anybody else here watches Tokusatsu.

Super Sentai is too aimed too much for kids, sadly.

Garo is a nice start for beginners, due to its mature themes. After that, Kamen Rider Kabuto and Kamen Rider Den-O make good series to start too. Den-O just ended its run in Japan last month, and it's a runaway success. I loved the series and bought everything associated with it. :p

Phoenix20578
Mon, 02-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Yea, most sentai is way to kiddy. Hence why I dont like the look of Gonger, the new sentai. Gekiranger was so awesome, but this looks so...meh.

Den-O brought so many characters into the mix with different personalities. Thats what did it for me.

Psyke
Mon, 02-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Gekiranger was good, and the only sentai which I can swallow of late. Still, there are plenty of good tokusatsu shows nowdays, including late-night slots catered for adults, such as Garo and Cutey Honey The Live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PsHy-xXieU), which I feel is absolutely fantastic. :p

Garo's ended for quite some time now, but here's a clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxWhcZEGBBU) for those interested to know more.

Phoenix20578
Fri, 03-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Well, Kiva has started and I like the story so far. It keeps flipping between the two time, and the more the show progresses, the more you get. So far, I like the new rider.

Psyke
Sat, 03-08-2008, 06:37 AM
Well, Kiva has started and I like the story so far. It keeps flipping between the two time, and the more the show progresses, the more you get. So far, I like the new rider.

I can't really get into Kiva yet, and the whole violin playing thing is getting boring. Guess I'm still comparing it to Den-O. Not started on Go-onger so can't comment, but Cutie Honey is awesome. Check out this scene in a recent episode, with a Gundam reference. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aetBZ_2D8xw

Phoenix20578
Mon, 03-10-2008, 12:28 PM
I can't really get into Kiva yet, and the whole violin playing thing is getting boring. Guess I'm still comparing it to Den-O. Not started on Go-onger so can't comment, but Cutie Honey is awesome. Check out this scene in a recent episode, with a Gundam reference. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aetBZ_2D8xw

ROFLMAO!!! That was awesome.

The violin in Kiva is great. But yea, if you compare it to Den-O, its nowhere near as good, but few things are better than Den-O.

As for Go-Onger, I refuse. It looks way to kiddy for me to even stomach.

darkshadow
Sun, 08-02-2009, 05:51 PM
I cast ressurect on this thread >_>---------------------------*.
Though I don't really expect much discussion since it seems there are only 3 people (me included :( ) watching these shows.

Man I just got to watching the cross over between shinkenger and Decade and it was utter badass, heck all of Decade so far has been great and I'm actually quite dissapointed its going to end so soon just to make way for Kamer Rider Double ;[.

Looking forward to ep 26/27 with the Black/RX crossover, should be good =D.
Also I'll definitly check out the upcoming Kamer rider: climax heroes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamen_Rider:_Climax_Heroes) for the ps2.

Psyke
Sun, 08-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Kamen Rider W looks gay and I want to punch the 2 main leads whenever I see them. Still, Decade rocks although Tsukasa is getting a little boring, and is no where as cool as Tendou was in Kabuto :p

Johnbear
Wed, 08-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Gekiranger was good, and the only sentai which I can swallow of late.

-

darkshadow
Wed, 08-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Kamen Rider W looks gay and I want to punch the 2 main leads whenever I see them. Still, Decade rocks although Tsukasa is getting a little boring, and is no where as cool as Tendou was in Kabuto :p

Indeed, but I think Tsukasa is the way he is, because he doesn't really have a purpose, he is just wandering around.

Anyway 26/27 were badass, really nostalgic seeing black RX. I also noticed so far Decade final form hasn't been hit once, he is pretty much the rider god so far, even if Kuuga's ultimate rising turns out to be more powerful, Decade could just henshin into him as well ;P.

Psyke
Wed, 08-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Black was the first rider I've ever seen, think I was around 8 or 9 years old. Minami Koutaro is still awesome and his henshin sequence still kicks ass. Kuuga, on the other hand, is becoming a joke, haha.

And yes Johnbear, Geki was pretty awesome. The story was very good, and so were the action sequences. I watched Go-ongers after that for the humor, but I can't get myself started on Shinkenger. :(

Dark Dragon
Sat, 08-29-2009, 04:42 AM
I recently started watching Den-O and found it to be awesome. This is my first experience with Kamen Rider.

Is there a particular need for me to watch the series in order or are they loosely related like the sentai series. Can you guys also recommend which are the ones i should be watching first?

darkshadow
Sat, 08-29-2009, 05:55 AM
Well if you plan on watching decade, which you should, then watch all of them, I personally would start with Kuuga.

Psyke
Sat, 08-29-2009, 08:48 AM
I've never watched Kuuga, but I've watched all the Heisei Kamen Rider series, except for Ryuki but I'm about to complete it soon.

Den-O is one of my personal favourites, due to the imagins and their interactions with Ryoutaro. I'd recommend Faiz or Kabuto as they're pretty easy to pick up. Pick Hibiki later as it's very much different from the rest, but still really good.

Psyke
Sun, 09-06-2009, 01:33 AM
Kamen Rider W (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq9cbqSFVFs) (Double) debuts in Japan this morning. I'll miss Decade but at least he still has one more movie coming by the end of the year.

Dark Dragon
Sun, 09-06-2009, 08:10 AM
I just finished Kiva and am half way through Decade. Did you guys get a chance to watch All Rider vs Dai Shocker? the movie was suppose to premier last month.

darkshadow
Sun, 09-06-2009, 08:19 AM
I just finished decade and it is really by far my favorite rider show so far, and it's really obvious it could've lasted at least another 10 eps, but at least he still has the movies.

Also watched the first ep of double and it was actually a lot better then I thought, prolly cause I was set out to hate it.
I liked the jazzy tunes, the detective vibe and the gaia chips calling out like decade and double had a pretty interesting rider kick. I still really dislike philip though, so gay ;(.

Also double was pretty cool with the double voice, too bad it only happened once

Dark Dragon
Wed, 09-09-2009, 11:17 PM
I just finished decade too and it was awesome! I can't wait until the december movie since there's still a lot of mysteries left unanswered (damn sea cucumber).

I'd have to say that Den-O is probably my favorite since it was just pure joy to watch. I was dying when Decade was using his Den-O cards in kabuto's world and Ore Sanjou showed up. Kiva has the best costume designs though, Emperor form just looks so wicked.

I watched the first ep of Double and thought it was pretty good, i was initially impressed with the monster design since i thought they would keep the fire CG the entire time, but that was too good to be true.

Dark Dragon
Fri, 09-10-2010, 03:03 AM
So W just Ended and OOO (http://taikutsu.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/kamen-rider-ooo-oz/)is the new rider.

How do you guys feel about Kamen Rider Traffic Light?

Psyke
Fri, 09-10-2010, 09:03 AM
The finale episodes of W were awesome.

Psyke
Wed, 10-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Kage Bunshin inspiried Rider Kick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEB2GPSrprI). OOO is pretty awesome so far.

Dark Dragon
Wed, 10-20-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm waiting for RaToraTah since he finally got the Raion medal. From the looks of it though he probably won't use another combo anytime soon.

fireheart
Thu, 10-21-2010, 04:10 AM
Well I just recently started watching a couple of these shows, started with Gekirangers purely because I actually liked the intro song as well as Shinkenger. I did also watch Decade after I started with Shinkenger and thought it was only so so since it was the first Kamen Rider show I've sen so didn't get who all the Riders were etc which made the whole thing seem disjointed not to mention the fact that sometimes the episodes wouldn't pick up where they left off rather somewhere further down leaving me kinda confused. I did however like W a lot more since it felt more coherent with it's story and characters, not sure what to make of OOO though.

Anyway any other of these shows I should pick up? Can't say that I liked the sentai shows that much other than Gekirangers, the others were ok I guess but yeah maybe a bit too much on the childrens side.

Dark Dragon
Thu, 10-21-2010, 08:35 AM
I would have to agree with the suggestions given to me in this thread that Den-O is probably the easiest to start with simply because the humor is great.

Since you already watched Decade though, just watch them in any order. The main kamen riders featured in Decade are from the "Heisei" period. Heisei series in order are: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO.

In my opinion Kabuto has the best characters and Faiz has the best story. Those two are my personal favorites. Kiva has the best suit designs and is really flashy. Hibiki is a bit different than the rest, but it's very good in it's own way. Den-O is very humor driven and makes jokes even during some very serious moments.

I have yet to watch Kuuga and Agito because all the links for Agito on the site i use got taken down. I think Kuuga isn't fully subbed in English yet since i can't seem to find a torrent of it.

Psyke
Sat, 10-23-2010, 03:28 AM
Blade has a very nice plot as well. But I agree that the better ones to start with are Kabuto and Den-O. Decade is a horrible series to start since it's supposed to pay homage to the previous series, and it's unlikely that you will notice them unless you've watched them.

oyabun
Thu, 11-04-2010, 10:33 PM
I agree that Decade is a horrible series. And what's up with the costume? The final form was worse.. I have high hopes for 000. The women are pretty too.

darkshadow
Fri, 11-05-2010, 05:00 AM
I think you are wrongly agreeing here. Nobody in here actually thinks Decade is horrible, since it's not. Psyke was just pointing out that it was a horrible series to start with >_>.

Psyke
Fri, 11-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Yup that's what I meant. Though, I kinda agree on the suit think. Despite Tsukasa's sincerest attempts at declaring that it's not pink, it could have been a better colour......

Dark Dragon
Mon, 11-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Decade regular suit isn't that bad, but final form is just ridiculous. I think Decade focus a bit too much on fan service rather than actually making any sense. The ending along with the 2 movies makes the storyline even more confusing rather than actually explain anything.

fireheart
Tue, 11-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Does Ryotaro get better as a character? Only seen about 9 episodes of Den-O but not really liking him so far.

I do agree with Dark Dragon about Decade not making any sense and about the ending though since I haven't seen the other shows I have no idea if it makes any more sense for the people that seen most of the shows. By the way just who was the guy that keep cursing Decade? I never really got what his role was other than go around and tell people that Decade is evil and that he's going to kill all riders.

Dark Dragon
Tue, 11-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Watching the other shows first will only help you get some of the jokes and references
(Den-O catchphrase attack rides). Narutaki is something of an ongoing joke in Decade. He shows up with some ridiculous plan that usually fail and then blame Decade for everything. I'm pretty sure the writers just said screw it half way through and decided to focus on introducing as many cameo as possible.

Ryotaro isn't going to change much, that's just how his character is. Momo and the other Imagin feels like the real main characters and Ryo just serve as a container for them. In Decade's Den-O world, they forgo the human altogether and just had all the Imagin transform into Kamen Riders.

edit: If you have trouble watching Den-O because of the main character then i suggest you try Kabuto first. Den-O is a very jokey series that never takes itself too seriously and that kinda throw some people off. It's my personal bias, but Kabuto has good humor while also maintaining a very serious storyline. Kiva and Double are other series that follow the "traditional" formula and might be easier to take in. Faiz and Blade are rather light on humor and the story gets very dark, so that might be more your thing.

fireheart
Tue, 11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Ohh well he still made no sense to me at all since it seemed like he had a purpose at least at first and I didn't get the how the end of Decade connected with the second (?) movie or what happened between nor did I get the first movie where does that take place anyway?

Well I don't really have a problem watching Den-O I'm just not fond of Ryotaro, he's kinda too wimpy for my taste and the way he speaks. But I'll try some of the first eps of the other shows and see what I think. Did watch all of Double at least and I really liked it, hopefully the others will be as good.

Psyke
Sun, 11-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Den-O is great for the humour. I loved it. But if you like strong hero archetypes, you'll enjoy OOO. It's the first true hero type protagonist since..... Hibiki and Kabuto. Den-O and Kiva were wimpy, Decade was grumpy, and W was gay. Well, there were all great series still. :)

fireheart
Sun, 11-14-2010, 02:59 PM
I actually liked Shotaro as a lead a lot more than the others, Eiji is fine but yeah enjoyed W more. Wataru may be wimpy but I like him more than Ryotaro since he's wimpy on an whole other level (ep12) but it could be because as as Dark Dragon said about Momo and the others being the main characters so that Ryotaro hardly ever have to man up so far. Though I disliked the random changes in personality in Kiva mostly in Nago since it felt like he got obsessed with the buttons and went mad all of a sudden for nothing or did I just miss something.

By the way what's up with the guy who plays Wataru in Kiva and his role in Decade?

Well currently watching as you might guess Kiva as well as Den-O also got the first 18 eps from Kabuto and Blade.

Psyke
Mon, 11-15-2010, 06:21 AM
There really isn't any link and I guess it was more for convenience since Kiva was just before Decade. I've watched all the heisei series except Kuuga, and most of the are pretty good, in their own way.

Dark Dragon
Wed, 12-08-2010, 03:55 AM
I'm curious as to how long time fans feel about W and OOO. I really enjoy both, but it just feel like they are becoming too toned down.

Agito was stopping angels who were murdering people. Kabuto fought aliens who steal people identity after killing them. Kiva fought a race of glass vampire who feed on humans (sucessfully). Kuuga was stopping an ancient race from killing people for sport. Faiz was essentially fighting zombies/reborn monsters who are trying to replace the human race. Hibiki fought demon spirits that consume humans. Blade was fighting to stop another species from taking over the world. Ryuki was fighting to stop all out war between a bunch of riders. Decade was trying to save 9 worlds. Even the comedic Den-O was about trying to stop monsters from altering the past.

W and OOO enemies just seem so non-threatening in contrast. OOO is really awesome so far, but the Greed and Yummy have been more of a nuisance than an actual threat. W was fighting a bunch of doped up humans.

I just feel like it'd be nice to have a serious story again. Decade was mostly for the purpose of fan service and didn't make too much sense, W was like watching a buddy cop movie and OOO has more in common with the Sentai than older KR series.

Psyke
Wed, 12-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Agreed, but I'll have to say it's still much darker compared to other toku series such as the super sentai. My girl gets frightened by maki's doll actually. :p

Dark Dragon
Wed, 12-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Agreed, but I'll have to say it's still much darker compared to other toku series such as the super sentai. My girl gets frightened by maki's doll actually. :p

I definitely still enjoy it, i'm just not particularly fond of the direction that i see KR is heading toward. If they go back to a darker story after OOO, i'll definitely have no problem.

That doll frightened me too, it's the stuff that fuel nightmares.

oyabun
Wed, 12-29-2010, 08:33 PM
I thought W was quite refreshing cause the main mission of W was to protect the city. It was more acceptable to me unlike the other series where it is always "Save the World" theme.

I think OOO will have a new enemy besides the greeds we have now.

fireheart
Thu, 12-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Ok so I managed to finish Kabuto, Den-O and Kiva well still got some of the movies left to watch though other than that I'm done. So far I still liked W the most though the others were fun to watch.

By the way I've been wondering for quite some time, does anyone know what's the name of the gekirangers theme that plays when Jan meets Suugu?

Psyke
Sun, 01-02-2011, 06:54 AM
You have the youtube link?

fireheart
Sun, 01-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Don't have a youtube link since they seemed to have removed all the episodes but found it elsewhere, it starts around 7 minutes in (http://www.myvideo.de/watch/5279133/Juken_Sentai_Gekiranger_Lesson_40_2_3)

Psyke
Sun, 01-02-2011, 11:09 AM
I have no idea but you can download quite a bit of songs here (http://fcti.multiply.com/music).

atnguyen001
Wed, 01-05-2011, 01:45 AM
I watch this series Kamen from a young age but also enjoyed the movie with superheroes tu bep (http://www.bepxinh.vn), tu bep dep (http://www.bepxinh.vn/c_126/Tu-bep-cao-cap/), tu van kien truc (http://www.xaydungkientruc.vn).
Do anyone watch series: Superman of Japan with gao ranger. I like it

Dark Dragon
Sat, 06-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Is anyone watching Gokaiger? This show is several kind of awesome at once. I feel like this a much better tribute than Decade and having a coherent plot really helps. Is it just me or does this show have more in common with Kamen Rider than other sentai? It plain doesn't take itself seriously and there were some rather heavy stuff compare to the previous sentais.

Psyke
Sat, 06-04-2011, 02:36 AM
I am. I just bought the GaoLion + Gokaioh set too :p

Dark Dragon
Sat, 06-04-2011, 02:43 AM
I'm jealous of your collection, i recently got the MG KR Skull figure it's glorious.