PDA

View Full Version : "Top" feature

Raven
Mon, 01-28-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm not sure if there's one built into the forum software, but if there is can it please be enabled?

I know it's just laziness on my part, but if you're reading an exceptionally long thread and you get to the bottom of the page, there's no link to go back to the forum so you're forced to scroll up to the top of the page again. A 'top' button at each post or even a forum link at the top and bottom of each page would help.

If it's something that's gotta be coded especially, don't worry about it, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

David75
Mon, 01-28-2008, 03:37 AM
if you have a desktop, I think your keyboard has a key that will help you go to the top directly...
Maybe you'll have to use the shift key... but it's only 2 fingers :cool:

Kraco
Mon, 01-28-2008, 05:15 AM
I always use the Back button unless I posted something. And the Back button being the thumb button of my mouse, nothing could be easier. Even if you read a few pages and had to jump through them all back to the forum. After all, going back is still faster than loading the main page again.

Raven
Mon, 01-28-2008, 06:44 AM
if you have a desktop, I think your keyboard has a key that will help you go to the top directly...
Maybe you'll have to use the shift key... but it's only 2 fingers :cool:
Yeah, true. But the Top button is so common, I just hoped it's already built into the forum code and can be easily enabled. I'm weird like that.

I always use the Back button unless I posted something. And the Back button being the thumb button of my mouse, nothing could be easier. Even if you read a few pages and had to jump through them all back to the forum. After all, going back is still faster than loading the main page again.
True also. I do like to actually use a button to go back to the forum because it refreshes the list if other posters are posting at the time. Force of habit for me, I guess.

complich8
Mon, 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
top button would be a link to "#poststop" ... pretty easy to implement... I'd just have to figure out what to make it look like and where to put it. Give me clean answers to those questions and I'll consider it ...

Assassin
Tue, 01-29-2008, 12:06 AM
make it look like the edit post/quote post/qreply buttons and put it rite next to them.

you can actually put it to the right of the 'qreply' button for maximum convenience.

*looks are Raven*

I got your back home fry :cool:

Raven
Tue, 01-29-2008, 01:58 AM
Exactly what I was gonna say. In the same style as the Edit/Quote/Qreply would be great, to the right of them I'd imagine would be good.

Kraco
Tue, 01-29-2008, 03:22 AM
As long as not to the left of them. Because I'm used to clicking the first button to get the quote form. It would drive me crazy if the page jumped to the top every time I tried to click a quote button.

XanBcoo
Tue, 01-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I say put it on the opposite side of the screen of the New Reply button, underneath the last post. That's always where I expect to see it.

complich8
Tue, 01-29-2008, 08:18 PM
I don't want to make it part of any given post (or every post) since adding more hard-to-read buttons serves little purpose and that functionality isn't coherent with the other things the red buttons do...

I'm thinking opposite the new reply button would be better. I'm also thinking that flipping over the blue down-arrow image at the top and having just a text link there would be better. Maybe putting it right-justified after the "previous thread | next thread" links ...

still debating though. Thoughts?

XanBcoo
Tue, 01-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm thinking opposite the new reply button would be better. I'm also thinking that flipping over the blue down-arrow image at the top and having just a text link there would be better.
I like this idea the best.

I didn't even realize that blue arrow existed until you just pointed it out.

Munsu
Thu, 01-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Well, I don't know if this is new but if you scroll down to the very bottom of the page... there's a "Top" link...

complich8
Thu, 01-31-2008, 03:25 PM
I wonder how many people actually use the "forum jump" menu, when you get down there...

for that matter how many pay attention to the "posting rules" section (which can be minimized)...

Munsu
Thu, 01-31-2008, 05:34 PM
I don't think anyone goes further than the "Post Quick Reply" botton.

complich8
Thu, 01-31-2008, 09:26 PM
so yeah .... since it's already there, I don't think I'm gonna bother implementing it :p

Raven
Thu, 01-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Oh well, thanks anyway. I just thought it might be good to have one at each post, as sometimes you'll be three quarters down the page of a long thread and not always at the bottom. I'm not that fussed though.

complich8
Fri, 02-01-2008, 12:24 AM
yeah, I wasn't going to put one on every post anyway. There's already enough going on in that space.