PDA

View Full Version : Heath Ledger Dead

Munsu
Tue, 01-22-2008, 05:14 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01222008/news/regionalnews/heath_ledger_dead_916418.htm

Shadow Skill
Tue, 01-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Ya, just saw it on my ISP's front page. Police think it's drug related.

Abdula
Tue, 01-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Its just sad, these random deaths are an all too common occurrence these days and they are almost always drug related.

Animeniax
Wed, 01-23-2008, 12:41 AM
Dude was an A-list Hollywood actor making millions, living in a $23k/month home, had a maid and masseuse and a sweet little daughter, and he was depressed?

It seemed to be drug-related, but it's the new legal way to get high: doctor prescribed anti-depressants.

TheBladeChild
Wed, 01-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Kinda sad really, I liked the movie A knights tale.

Assertn
Wed, 01-23-2008, 04:17 AM
I wonder what a 23k/mo 3 br apartment looks like.

David75
Wed, 01-23-2008, 04:36 AM
Dude was an A-list Hollywood actor making millions, living in a $23k/month home, had a maid and masseuse and a sweet little daughter, and he was depressed?

It seemed to be drug-related, but it's the new legal way to get high: doctor prescribed anti-depressants.

Regardless of your surrondings, depression will strike if no one helps you in the right way.
And if you are able to get out of it all by yourself, it probably wasn't a real depression and/or your just nearing another bigger one to follow.

It's true that being poor, with a very bad and dirty flat, no one to talk to, lots of debts and no work is really harmfull for a depressive person... and they often go there due to their depression.
But since depression litterally prevents you from feeling any hapyness or comfort... even for birthdays, christmas, hollydays, or anything that you should enjoy, you'll just go on with your depression and go deeper and deeper. And at some point you may have a fatal action in mind...

The next hardest thing for a depressive is to ask for help and actually initiate the process. Something as trivial as washing your teeth can become a tremendous hassle, a task you have to fight for, so that it's done. Not every depressive person has this problem, but it's an example of how disproportionnate things can become.
So that person left with next to no willpower and energy; has to ask for help... and going the pyschiatry way is taboo for almost everyone. A depressive person will use that taboo as an excuse/fear to not go there.
Then there's the medical system that can really screw things also... by not taking the actual state of that person into account, or really telling them they are allright and just need to fight and stop being so whiny.
And someday, some of those suffering beings do something lethal to themselves.

I don't know if it's really what happened. But if he was depressive, keep in mind that he was wearing darkening glasses on anything happening to him in his life. Always extracting the bad things from anything.

Depression can occur thanks to mishaps, maybe a genetical background, thyroïd problems (largely underestimated, sadly enough) and so on.

Rip man.
I've never seen any movie from you, nor know you. But Rest In Peace.

Animeniax
Wed, 01-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Come on, admit it, you saw Brokeback Mountain.

Luckily I've never been that depressed, though with certain aspects of my life, it's kind of a surprise. I've probably never been clinically depressed where I had no control over it or any way to make it better. I can hardly imagine what that would be like.

David75
Wed, 01-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Come on, admit it, you saw Brokeback Mountain.

Luckily I've never been that depressed, though with certain aspects of my life, it's kind of a surprise. I've probably never been clinically depressed where I had no control over it or any way to make it better. I can hardly imagine what that would be like.

Never saw BrokeBack Mountain, because I admitt I tend to avoid stories around homosexuality.

However I experienced dark moments that I would not have overcome if my wife wasn't there. Just beware of Docs, they can have you loose a considerable amount of time if you don't check on anything they tell/prescribe ;)

So to summ things up:
Having money and displaying an image of wealth and apparent happiness isn't a protection against depression and dark thoughts someone may have. There's a bit
of luck from you and helpful people in the process. You may fall short for both...

We'll have a clearer view later, when we know for sure what happened.

Animeniax
Wed, 01-23-2008, 10:21 AM
If you remove the homosexual stigma of the movie, it really is just a story of forbidden love, kind of like Romeo and Juliet. It was also about loneliness and being an outsider, which is what appealed to me. I thought the director could have conveyed the message better without the graphic gay action. It would have reached more audiences that way too.

David75
Wed, 01-23-2008, 10:39 AM
If you remove the homosexual stigma of the movie, it really is just a story of forbidden love, kind of like Romeo and Juliet. It was also about loneliness and being an outsider, which is what appealed to me. I thought the director could have conveyed the message better without the graphic gay action. It would have reached more audiences that way too.

If there's graphical gay action, I may never watch it.
I can read about gay subjects and so on, but as soon as it goes too graphical (even just kisses), I can't stand it.

I hope BrokeBack mountain isn't related to his death. Because such a film, even if it was awarded, deals with matters that can engenger great levels of wrath from many people. Then inflicted on someone fragile, a great deal of pain.
When young, and even older, it's difficult to deal with it. And it also seems that he had
been a "star" for a short time. So overcoming such a strong wave may be very harsh.
Yet we know nothing but: Death, pills.

Abdula
Wed, 01-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Wow, David you obviously were depressed for a very long time and you had a hard time getting over it too. It appears that its still a problem for you though and I suspect it always will be.

Junior
Wed, 01-23-2008, 01:30 PM
That's quite sad to hear. He wasn't such a bad actor.

Poor guy.

XanBcoo
Wed, 01-23-2008, 01:39 PM
I really haven't seen anything this guy's been in. Seems like it's pretty stunning news though.

I spent a long time thinking of a pun to make about this, but then I thought better of it.

David75
Wed, 01-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Wow, David you obviously were depressed for a very long time and you had a hard time getting over it too. It appears that its still a problem for you though and I suspect it always will be.

I did. And as for alcoohol, drugs and so on, I guess one is only on the verge of falling again.
I wanted to input this, because it's not totally off-topic per data we have and it's important to know about those things because they can storm in your life even when very young and are really dangerous for oneself and sometimes others. I do so too, because sadly society isn't well prepared to help those people and often does the exact opposite of what should be done. I won't even mention docs that sometimes you wonder if they do harmful things in purpose :mad:

Depression should never be taken lightly as it may result in the death of at least one person (and potentialy others if in a vehicule for example...)

Abdula
Wed, 01-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Know whats funny now that he is dead all these people are so quick to go on tv and comment about how troubled he was, how he battled depression and how dark and moody he had become lately but no one mentions ever having tried to help or talk to him.

They already began comparing him to River Phoenix and James Dean.

darkmetal505
Wed, 01-23-2008, 06:20 PM
As long as the new Batman comes out, it really doesn't matter to me.

Abdula
Wed, 01-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Thats really insensitive and the movie already finished filming.

Assassin
Wed, 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM
i agree with darkmetal....as long as it doesn't effect the movie, i dont really care

Raven
Wed, 01-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Another Aussie celebrity to bite the dust... we don't have many left.

So long, Heath. I've been a fan for a while. Sorry to see you go.

Munsu
Wed, 01-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah, some Aussies that make it big are killing themselves... Michael Hutchence is my most notable one out of the top of my mind.

Assertn
Wed, 01-23-2008, 11:29 PM
It's interesting to get my roommate's perspective on this, because my roommate is a method actor. He was talking about how many actors try to replicate the personality of the person they are acting as, usually through association of their own feelings or experiences. Taking on the role of the Joker probably resulted in some personal anxiety and depression, which also could have affected his sleeping habits. Supposedly other actors have experienced similar problems, when they take on the role of particularly deranged villains. In cases like that, you'd really just have to power through it and then take a long vacation.

Animeniax
Wed, 01-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Wow, that adds a new dimension to the story. But then you have wonder what roles Owen Wilson might have been working on.

Assassin
Wed, 01-23-2008, 11:42 PM
maybe he was depressed cuz he always plays this lovable scamp who ends up with a hot girl, and in reality he couldn't do that....for whatever reason.

darkmetal505
Thu, 01-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Thats really insensitive and the movie already finished filming.

I didn't know the guy so it's hard for me to feel sorry for him. Also, overdosing on drugs doesn't exactly put out a good message. Maybe if it was some tragic accident I would feel some sympathy.

XanBcoo
Thu, 01-24-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm all for believing the method acting angle. Playing a pychotic criminal might have had something to do with it.

Also the Westboro Baptist Church is at it again!

Heath Ledger is in Hell! (http://www.wwtdd.com/photo.phtml?post_key=3425&photo_key=5755)

Abdula
Thu, 01-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Yes indeed method acting may have had alot to do with it especially if he was good at it. I could totally see someone getting lost in the role especially if they already had personality issues to begin with. Though I doubt its that simple.

Heath Ledger is in Hell! (http://www.wwtdd.com/photo.phtml?post_key=3425&photo_key=5755)

Those people piss me off, I hate people who hide behind religion and use it as an excuse for ignorance. I like that they always quote the bible but none of them appear to have ever read it

XanBcoo
Thu, 01-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Those people piss me off, I hate people who hide behind religion and use it as an excuse for ignorance. I like that they always quote the bible but none of them appear to have ever read it
I was pissed off until last year when they picketed the funerals of the V-Tech students, I watched this documentary on Youtube about them. It's really not their fault, the whole family is indoctrinated from birth to think the way they do. It's kind of depressing. Even the young members, who are capable of reasonable conversation, have this road block in their mind because of their upbringing. It's their absolute, undeniable truth in the face of everything else that "God hates fags".

So yeah, don't take their shit seriously.

Abdula
Thu, 01-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Thats just sad maybe someone should put them out of their misery.

kAi
Thu, 01-24-2008, 01:55 AM
He died from alcohol poisoning, too many cock sucking cowboys.
Oh noes! they've started!!

Sad to see him go, will be missed, so young also.

Abdula
Thu, 01-24-2008, 01:58 AM
Alcohol poisoning seriously how pathetic is that, he literally drank himself to death, how sad.

David75
Thu, 01-24-2008, 05:31 AM
Know whats funny now that he is dead all these people are so quick to go on tv and comment about how troubled he was, how he battled depression and how dark and moody he had become lately but no one mentions ever having tried to help or talk to him.

They already began comparing him to River Phoenix and James Dean.

That was what I was thinking, no one to help for any reason.

Munsu
Thu, 01-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Jack Nicholson apparently had warned him about taking the Joker role... and when asked for comments recently he said "I told him so".

Animeniax
Thu, 01-24-2008, 11:25 PM
I hope that's an internet hoax because Nicholson didn't exactly do the role justice with his portrayal. There was nothing dark or psychologically disturbing about his role as Joker.

Munsu
Thu, 01-24-2008, 11:33 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/01/24/2008-01-24_jack_nicholson_warned_heath_ledger_on_jo.html

Animeniax
Thu, 01-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Isn't the nydailynews one of those sham news outlets, like the Onion?

The pictures of Nicholson and Ledger's Jokers say it all. How can anyone compare the two, especially Nicholson? I think it's a bit of arrogance on Nicholson's part, and what he supposedly said to Ledger might have been a childish snipe for not being consulted about the role. The snipe might not even have actually been said to Ledger, but just a parting shot from Nicholson about the entire production. Based on his portrayal in the original movie, what could Nicholson possibly have to say about the role that any comic fan couldn't tell you?

Munsu
Fri, 01-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Heck if I know... AOL is claiming that the warning was about ambien:
http://entertainment.aol.ca/article/jack-ambien-warning/67635/
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23100803-5015809,00.html