PDA

View Full Version : TV: How I Met Your Mother

SamuraiOdin
Sun, 01-20-2008, 11:19 PM
With the writers strike going on, and impacting the amount of new shows coming out, I find myself dipping into those that have been out for 2 or 3 seasons already, and renting them from Blockbuster, or downloading them. I recently stumbled across How I Met Your Mother, and I've got to say that it is HILARIOUS.

Basic plot summary for the pilot was:

Egged on by his best friend's upcoming nuptials, Ted (Radnor) believes he finds the woman of his dreams in Robin (Smulders) -- though destiny might have something different in mind.
and so far (I've only seen the first season), the show seems to follow in that vein.

What makes this show great though, is not the lead actor (Josh Radnor who plays Ted Mosby), but rather the supporting cast. Alyson Hannigan playing Lily, Jason Segel as Marshall, Cobie Smulders as Robin, Bob Saget as Old Ted are all great, and the one who really steals the show is Neil Patrick Harris as Barney.

If you haven't seen the show, I highly recommend it.

Season 1: http://www.mininova.org/get/1017652

---------------------------
Ted: So, who are we picking up?
Barney: I dunno... her? Or maybe her...
Ted: Wait, so when you said we were going to pick someone up at the airport, you meant we were going to *pick someone up* at the airport?
Barney: Yeah...
Ted: You're kidding!
Barney: False!

Munsu
Sun, 01-20-2008, 11:48 PM
I've heard good things about this series, it's on my "to watch" list... but it's going to be quite some time before I get to it.

Yukimura
Mon, 01-21-2008, 02:06 AM
I 've been watching this every week since season 2, I love it, and for the same reasons you said. Barney, Robin, Lily & Marshall. Ted centered episodes tend to impress me the least unless they involve Robin, who is awesome. I think it's a great show for most people 21-30ish and I'm actually somewhat surprised it's still on CBS.

Assassin
Mon, 01-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Ya, love this show. I honestly thing it has the potential to be the new Friends....everyone i've recommended the show to simply loves it.

Shadow Skill
Wed, 01-23-2008, 03:26 AM
I caught an episode the other night on TV, I could not stop laughing. I think the infor bar for it said it was the first episode of Season 3. So I'm thinking of watching the past episodes now.

Archangel
Fri, 03-21-2008, 04:57 PM
This just came to my country and i really like it.

kAi
Fri, 03-21-2008, 09:28 PM
I've seen a few episodes of this and have been meaning to get it and watch it all, because the eps that I have seen are great.

I remember watching that Airport one, that was great.

Assassin
Fri, 03-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Lol ya, its a great show. The new eps (or rather the remaining eps from season 3) just started airing. Seems like we're getting close to the actual story.

Shadow Skill
Tue, 03-25-2008, 07:55 PM
I've kind of lost interest in the show since Britney Spears is on it for a few episodes. Let me know when she's gone, I'll start watching again.

Assassin
Tue, 03-25-2008, 08:04 PM
ya that kinda threw me off too...as awesome as this show is, it still can't do anything to make her seem even remotely not-pathetic. luckily her part in the previous episode doesn't deter from the proper storyline.

speaking of which, i think stella mite be the girl he ends up with. in last nites ep there was a not-so-subtle reference to a st.patrick's day party which im assuming is the same party ted and barney were at.

still not sure how the 8-year old daughter thing will work out though...maybe the future kids have a stepsister we dont know about yet.

kAi
Wed, 03-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Just finished watching season 1, and

Awesome!!!

"These are one of the things you have to do before your 30!"
"What? Sleep with a prostitute?"
"No, lose your virginity!.......what up!"

HAHA, fucking legendary!

Munsu
Sun, 09-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, spent the last couple of weeks catching up on this show, and I have to say it's great. Neil Patrick has nailed his part in this series... has he gotten an award for it because he completely deserves it?

What I like most about this series is that it has a knack for telling a good story... I mean, the story is executed very well. I also like those flashforwards, it gives out a sense that the series knows where it's heading and that it has a goal in mind... that they're not simply winging it from episode to episode. It's like they've already the whole series planned out, and all that's left is a way to tell it in an interesting manner.

Anyways, great stuff so far... and season 4 started last week, here's the first episode:
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1833210

Munsu
Sun, 10-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Any of you guys up-to-date? I just caught up to episode 5, last week's episode...

So apparently Stella is not going to be the mother. And I don't know why, I always think Robin will end up being the mother for some reason... like they'll do a plot twist somehow and change some names around and what not. We haven't seen her in the future, right?

Assassin
Sun, 10-26-2008, 03:21 PM
i dunno, they're referred to her as aunt robin a couple of times, so i dont see that happening. i think in the future robin and barney will be together.

Munsu
Sun, 10-26-2008, 03:53 PM
I know I know... but that may not stop them from doing the old switcheroo... Like the person we're calling Robin is not really Robin or some shit like that. Yeah, yeah, very far fetched and unrealistic, but I just can help to notice that every time they're supposed to move on, they're drawn back to each other.

Assassin
Mon, 10-27-2008, 05:48 AM
I see what your saying, it does happen alot....any that would be by far the last thing i expect, so it does work well as a surprise.

Munsu
Tue, 12-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Just caught up...

The naked man was great, and yes the rumors are true. According to the show we'll have lightsabers in 3 to 5 years from now.

Munsu
Tue, 05-05-2009, 09:44 PM
So... who's still watching. Just caught up once again, watching episodes 15-22:

15: Barney's family?
16: Marshal no pants, and Ted is a complete douche.
17: Lily sabouteur.
18: The Frozen Snowshoe? Old King Clancy? Sacramento Turtleneck?
19: Murtaugh List, Lethal Weapon.
20: What's the difference between peanut-butter and jam?
21: Gay dreams.

I think that sums up the episodes so far. And then we get to 22. The yellow umbrella is back, pivotal moment concerning The Mother... oh, and Stella's back. Two more episodes to the finale, so maybe we'll finally get to see How I Met Your Mother.

Penner
Wed, 05-06-2009, 05:56 AM
You met my mom?

Lame jokes aside, yeah totally following this show, and ofc Barney is mah favourite character, followed by Marshal. ^^

Penner
Tue, 09-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Ayay, new season has started and things are progressing for Barney/Robin.

Munsu
Tue, 09-22-2009, 10:41 PM
I think the actress that plays Robin is pregnant. So the mother was in Ted's first class, but it wasn't his real class so once again we're not going to see her for the time being.

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Sun, 09-27-2009, 12:29 AM
I think the actress that plays Robin is pregnant. So the mother was in Ted's first class, but it wasn't his real class so once again we're not going to see her for the time being.

I know that her and Lilly were both pregnant at the end of the last season, but they are both not now, or atleast did not appear to be to me.

That was almost too embarrassing to watch. Definitely a Michael Scott (Office) moment.

Favorite Funny Ep so far would have to be the Price is Right ep.

Anyone else ?

Penner
Thu, 11-19-2009, 12:46 PM
....and it is on!

Barney is too awesome.

Archangel
Tue, 11-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Lol, this episode was great

"Dead to me look" reminded me of when she played the witch on Buffy and went darkside on that geeky dude

Penner
Tue, 11-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Ya it was great, her dad is awesome, i would totally play his weirdo games ;D

Archangel
Wed, 01-13-2010, 11:27 AM
The musical in the end was pretty good

And they cockteased us to the limit with this one, we actually got to see her foot!

Assassin
Wed, 01-13-2010, 11:28 PM
That yellow school bus thing made me think.....are they gonna do an interactive type thing with the the future backdrop and all the items you see behind the kids. Cuz it seemed to me like the school bus being highlighted in the background was an invitation to a scavenger hunt of sorts. Try to locate the various items seen there during the course of the show and maybe piece together who the mother is/will be.

or maybe im just thinking too much.

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Thu, 01-21-2010, 08:03 PM
This show is really good at getting you so close to seeing their mother and nothing! Still a great show. Love the "But Um" drinking game.

Munsu
Mon, 09-20-2010, 10:01 PM
You guys still watching?

Show returned tonight, and certain events made this one of my favorite episodes of the series. Plus Marshal was hilarious in this one.

Archangel
Tue, 09-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Funny, i'm watching it right now

Still gotta check the new season though, will get back to you on that one

Assassin
Tue, 09-21-2010, 09:43 PM
wait, so whose wedding was that? marshall and lilly already got married, and if ted is meeting his wife to be at this shindig, then it cant be his wedding.

Munsu
Tue, 09-21-2010, 09:49 PM
wait, so whose wedding was that? marshall and lilly already got married, and if ted is meeting his wife to be at this shindig, then it cant be his wedding.

I'm guessing it's Cindy's wedding, since it's there where it would make more sense to meet the future Mrs. Mosby.

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Tue, 09-21-2010, 11:07 PM
I saw it. Could always be Robin and Barney's wedding. ;)

Archangel
Wed, 09-22-2010, 06:57 AM
I saw it. Could always be Robin and Barney's wedding. ;)
I was thinking that too, or just one of them at least

Munsu
Wed, 09-22-2010, 09:14 AM
And of course, the yellow umbrella is going to show up once again in the wedding.

Assassin
Wed, 09-22-2010, 05:22 PM
ya....i wonder if this will be the last season. I dont see how they can get thru an entire season from this point, without finally introducing the mother.

Dark Dragon
Thu, 09-23-2010, 07:59 AM
I hope this is the last season.

Season 5 was particularly underwhelming mainly because the show has lost most of its steam. Another reason is because of plenty of baiting with nothing to show for it. I really hope the show gets a proper ending instead of becoming a dragged out mess.

Munsu
Thu, 09-23-2010, 12:11 PM
I think the problem with season 5 was Barney and how he was used.

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Thu, 09-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Monday night's episode was just ok. Then again the really good episodes are about Ted and his relationships it seems. I did like Barney singing and at the end when he had the auto-tuner that was priceless. I am hoping the show picks up more steam next week.

Munsu
Wed, 11-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Two beavers are better than one.

Penner
Thu, 11-18-2010, 06:32 AM
I laughed sooo hard watching this episode, especially when Ted and Barney watched the dvd together with Robin and they were trying so hard to keep from bursting out laughing... hilarious episode ;D

Archangel
Fri, 11-26-2010, 05:03 AM
Bliiiiiiiiiiiitz...

Penner
Fri, 11-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Aww maaan..

Animeniax
Sat, 11-27-2010, 11:38 PM
I never really got what was so charming about this series. Then on this one special: "TV's Funniest Holiday Moments", they had the "slapdown" episode or running gag as #6 or #7 funniest all time in TV history. It was so funny, the audience laugh track wasn't even running so there was no laughter during the scenes for slap #3. I don't think I'll be checking out this series.

Archangel
Sat, 11-27-2010, 11:49 PM
You came to drop a word saying you won't be watching this series?

Animeniax
Sun, 11-28-2010, 12:33 AM
You came to drop a word saying you won't be watching this series?

Gave my opinion on the series, yes.

Assassin
Mon, 11-29-2010, 07:36 PM
too bad...its a funny show. but dont judge it based on one clip. watch a couple of episodes then decide.

Archangel
Mon, 11-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Well to his valor he did watch a compilation, it's not a stretch to say that if he didn't like that he won't enjoy the show

Animeniax
Tue, 11-30-2010, 12:51 AM
It's weird because I am a fan of Jason Segel, Neil Patrick Harris, and Alyson Hannigan, but not in these roles (from what I've seen of the show).

Penner
Sun, 01-30-2011, 11:05 AM
John Lithgow to play Barney's Dad (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/john-lithgow-play-neil-patrick-94145)

Munsu
Tue, 01-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Are you guys still watching this?

The series lost a bit of steam in the last couple of seasons for me, and this season so far has it been its weakest in my opinion... that said, it's the final season so I'm glad we're on the homestretch, and it carries a bit of weight because of it.

I thought this week's episode was very much worth watching, we saw an episode dedicated to what has occurred in the series in these past 9 or so years, but from the mother's perspective... we saw the other side of the equation as it pertains all the clues the series has given us so far. The deal with yellow umbrella, the mention of the mother being in Ted's class, the day they were at the same party, when Ted dated her roommate, etc... but all seen from the mother's perspective. I thought it was a nice touch and everything we've gone so far in the series finally comes full circle.

In any case, looking forward to the last remaining episodes... series finale will be an hour long on March 31.

Death BOO Z
Mon, 02-10-2014, 03:04 PM
still watching, even decided to watch it weekly on the internet instead of waiting for my cable provider to show it (about a week difference).
most of the season was pretty bad, with some good bits ('How your mother met me', 'sunrise', and maybe a few other).

I'm trying to hatch a 2000 words long post about how what we see is actually the twisted way that Ted chooses to portray the weekend rather than the what really happened.
Spoiler: in my version of events, Ted is actually the one with the Kennedy Package.

Archangel
Mon, 02-10-2014, 07:12 PM
The name of the episode was "How you mother met me" and yes it was a good one, about the only good one so far actually. I'm glad they're ending this, it's grown stale and it was just one season away from just being bad.

Munsu
Mon, 03-31-2014, 11:29 PM
So, the series has come to the end. Haven't watched the last episode yet, probably tomorrow.

This last season has been pretty shitty, yet it has been a satisfying close to the series I feel.

Worst part is how they've wasted the slaps from the slap bets.

Death BOO Z
Tue, 04-01-2014, 03:15 PM
bad, bad, worst episode.

I mean, sure, I like Ted & Robin. but this episode was mostly a super bad evil joke at the fans expense. "sure, you've waited ten years to meet the mother, here you go", and we were kinda happy with her, because they actually managed to cast someone who'l likable and has special chemistry with josh randor,"and now she's dead"

Like john Inenicus killing that fat lady in the dream scene of Baldurs gate 2, or what those whatever god-aliens did in Gantz.

Archangel
Wed, 04-02-2014, 01:56 PM
The ending gave sense to the story, i for one liked it.

Munsu
Thu, 04-03-2014, 08:40 AM
I'm with you here, I liked the ending too. It wasn't a great episode from an entertainment / funny perspective, a bit dull at times, but story wise I really don't have any complaints on how everything transpired in this last episode. And I very much liked the twist.

Overall, much like the last couple of seasons, the final season was a poor one... it just wasn't as funny as before, and sillier (and not in a good way) than ever.

All that said, the final season was very satisfactory for me. Everything came full circle, and the story managed to have proper beginning and ending, and that's so hard to find on TV. I for one was one that was very unimpressed when they made the choice of who'll play the mother, after all the build-up. But I have to say that the actress fit the role perfectly, and the interaction and chemistry with Ted was very good, so that was a pleasant surprise.

All in all, going to miss the show. Even at its worst, it provided a semblance of entertainment every week for me... but also glad that it managed to end, and end properly.

Penner
Thu, 04-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Indeed, very good finale. No complaints.

I gotta say though, that scene when Barney held and talked to the baby... damn, that hit me right in the feels. Got all choked up lol

DarthEnderX
Fri, 04-04-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm just glad that it's over so that four of these actors that I love can stop being on this show I don't care about and can hopefully go do better things.

rockmanj
Sat, 04-05-2014, 04:06 PM
The ending gave sense to the story, i for one liked it.

I liked it as well. It was a little neat, but does show how messy and random life can be.

TwisT
Sat, 04-05-2014, 06:00 PM
I'm just glad that it's over so that four of these actors that I love can stop being on this show I don't care about and can hopefully go do better things.

4? Who's the one you don't care for (it's Josh Radnor isn't it)?

Splash!
Sat, 04-05-2014, 08:23 PM
A lot of people seem to feel that way and I find it odd. In this particular show, I liked Josh Radnor alot more than the other 4.

And I was quite happy with the ending too, other than the fact that they crammed quite a bit into the last episode and felt rushed. It was good to see that even to the very end, this show really wasn't about the mother at all but about who Ted was BEFORE the mother (and how his earlier life didn't suddenly become meaningless once the mother came along, but in fact a very important part of his being).

TwisT
Sun, 04-06-2014, 07:01 AM
I was quite happily surprised that they had the balls to kill of the mother and divorce Barney & Robin. Usually they make the fairytale ending where everything works out perfectly in the end and everyone lives happily ever after. I feel this ending was much more grounded and realistic.

Josh wasn't bad, but i though compared to the others he was the least funny. Also outside of HIMYM he is the only one i haven't seen do anything good. What did he do before and in between HIMYM? Nope nothing comes to mind. Maybe i just haven't watched his stuff, but i doubt he made anything noteworthy. Jason had parts in several comedies i have seen. Forgetting Sarah Marshall was good and he was the staring actor. Cobie looked good in the Avengers movie. Neil Patrick Harris was awesome in the Harold & Kumar movies and also Starship Troopers. And the fact that he might be the best show host there ever was. Do i even need to mention Alyson? She made the biggest impact before HIMYM and is probably the one i expect the most of after.

UChessmaster
Sun, 04-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Describe the ending to someone that doesn`t sees the show but knows the premise.

Splash!
Sun, 04-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Josh wasn't bad, but i though compared to the others he was the least funny. Also outside of HIMYM he is the only one i haven't seen do anything good. What did he do before and in between HIMYM? Nope nothing comes to mind. Maybe i just haven't watched his stuff, but i doubt he made anything noteworthy. Jason had parts in several comedies i have seen. Forgetting Sarah Marshall was good and he was the staring actor. Cobie looked good in the Avengers movie. Neil Patrick Harris was awesome in the Harold & Kumar movies and also Starship Troopers. And the fact that he might be the best show host there ever was. Do i even need to mention Alyson? She made the biggest impact before HIMYM and is probably the one i expect the most of after.

Depends on what you find funny. I found Ted and his mannerisms to be more funny than any of the other characters (not to say the others weren't funny too).

The other actors being popular outside the show has no bearing on my opinion that Josh did a good job with Ted. As funny as I found the rest of the gang, I would have long given up on this show if it weren't for the fact that I liked Ted Mosby.

rockmanj
Mon, 04-07-2014, 10:59 PM
I was quite happily surprised that they had the balls to kill of the mother and divorce Barney & Robin. Usually they make the fairytale ending where everything works out perfectly in the end and everyone lives happily ever after. I feel this ending was much more grounded and realistic.

Apparently Randor won a Sundance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Radnor#Awards_and_nominations) award for his writing and directing. He was on a podcast that I heard and actually seems like an interesting guy.