PDA

View Full Version : Favorite anime of 2007 poll

fireheart
Sat, 01-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah this might be a rude thing to do I'm not sure, but seeing as I never liked people who advertise I'm about to like me less right now.

Anyway there's a favorite anime series of 2007 poll going on, on anime-source so if you know your favorite show click here and start voting. Personally I'm having a hard time deciding since honestly hardly remember what happened anime wise 07 or what was really good. Or maybe it's just that nothing stood out as much as the ones from 06. What do you all think? (http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1673&mode=&order=0&thold=0)

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-19-2008, 10:56 PM
I find an issue that they included any series that started in 2007 (thus excluding any that started in 2006). Many of the series on the list are still airing. Typically, these lists are complied from series that ended in 2007, so you get a better feel of how good a series actually is. Consider Bamboo Blade for instance. It's on the list, and it has only passed 15 episodes. One of my favorites so far this year, but I can't vote for it, I have no idea how it will turn out. The majority of Code Geass was in 2007, but it is not on the list since it began in Fall 2006. Worst, Kiddy Grade 2 is on the list and it hasn't even aired, and may not even this year.

That aside, I voted anyway.

Not putting Byousoku 5 Centimeter somewhere in your top five would be a mistake. Usually movies are not considered on lists of these types, but it was far and away my number one. Beyond the visuals that absolutely floored me (more than any of his previous films), I found the somewhat simple plot to be incredibly moving. Brought me to tears more than once. You owe it to yourself to see it if you have not.

The rest of my list from their choices:
ef - a tale of memories
School Days
Gurren-Lagann
Minami-ke

shinta|hikari
Sat, 01-19-2008, 11:12 PM
I liked Byousoku 5 centimeters a lot, but not enough to replace Baccano! on my list. Rest is the same as above post.

Munsu
Sat, 01-19-2008, 11:23 PM
I agree, the choices to vote for are poorly selected... anyways, my choices were:

Seirei no Moribito
Ookiku Furikabutte
Gurren-Lagann
Baccano!
Darker than Black

Board of Command
Sat, 01-19-2008, 11:31 PM
5 cm per second
ef - A Tale of Memories
Genshiken 2
Darker Than Black
Minami-ke
Baccano!

In that order.

Munsu
Sat, 01-19-2008, 11:33 PM
5 cm per second
ef - A Tale of Memories
Genshiken 2
Darker Than Black
Minami-ke
Baccano!

In that order.
Great job voting for SIX anime.

Anyways, I don't like 5 cm per second being voted that much... it's a movie and I don't think it's fair comparing it with a tv series.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-19-2008, 11:48 PM
I think it is fair, if you consider it in the right way. Films have dramatically better visuals, but they have far less time to develop characters and plot. Yes, 5cm looks beyond fantastic, but I found both ef and Gurren-Lagann to be very competitive in terms of visuals, only stylized.

What they sacrifice in eye-candy (though ef didn't lose too much in certain scenes) they make up for in time to develop plots. What ef had four hours to do, 5cm had one. Both had three story lines, one looked better, and one went deeper.

If you can level the playing field, it becomes possible to compare them. Now that I've said that, I'd probably have switched their orders (as I just remembered the phone message scene from ef).

DDBen
Sun, 01-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Hmm from that list I'd have to say.

1. Gurren Lagann.
2. Code Geass 24-25*
3. Bokurano
4. Clannad TV
5. Claymore (only because the last few episodes detour from the manga was nowhere near as good as the rest of the series and it wasn't even needed to keep it self contained.)

*Now I can't fully agree with the list Code Geass should be on that list somewhere even if your only counting 24-25 as a special. I guess its the "end" of season 1 which technically started in october but when your counting random movies like that and being it was released completely on its own this year I think it needs to be counted on its own.

Board of Command
Sun, 01-20-2008, 02:25 AM
I think it is fair, if you consider it in the right way. Films have dramatically better visuals, but they have far less time to develop characters and plot. Yes, 5cm looks beyond fantastic, but I found both ef and Gurren-Lagann to be very competitive in terms of visuals, only stylized.

What they sacrifice in eye-candy (though ef didn't lose too much in certain scenes) they make up for in time to develop plots. What ef had four hours to do, 5cm had one. Both had three story lines, one looked better, and one went deeper.

If you can level the playing field, it becomes possible to compare them. Now that I've said that, I'd probably have switched their orders (as I just remembered the phone message scene from ef).
I thought 5 cm had amazing development for a 1-hour movie. The development style was very reminiscent of Voices of a Distant Star, where very little to no background info was given about the characters, and the viewer is thrown right into the "action" from the get-go. Much of the development relied on the viewer's inferences and imagination. This style gives the movie a very surreal feeling, and combined with the artwork (very much like ef) it made the ordinary environment seem like fantasy. This is extremely difficult to pull off and only the best of the best do it successfully.

masamuneehs
Sun, 01-20-2008, 02:41 AM
Seirei no Moribito counts for 2007? Then, it is certainly my number one pick.

Otherwise:
ZETSUBOU-SENSEI
Baccano!
Gundam00
Bokurano

kenren
Sun, 01-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Top 5 anime for 2007 :)
No order though,

1) Seto no Hanayome
2) Baccano!
3) Bokurano
4) ZETSUBOU-SENSEI .. XD
5) Gundam 00

Yukimura
Sun, 01-20-2008, 04:29 AM
Gurren-Lagann
School Days
Genshiken 2
Minami-ke
Nodame Cantabile

Favorites vs best changed my choices a lot more that I would have thought, these five made me the happiest.

Shinji Ikari
Sun, 01-20-2008, 04:36 AM
Top five 2007 (no order)

1. Claymore
2. Lucky Star
3. Shakugan no Shana II
4. Tales of Symphonia
5. Naruto Shippuuden

fireheart
Sun, 01-20-2008, 08:02 AM
I thought Byousoku 5 Centimeter was only ok, it started good and the second story was good as well but didn't quite like the last part and in the second part it felt weird the way he was acting. Don't know most just felt off after the first part.

And talking about movies one thing I didn't like is that I can't vote for Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, now that at least was a great movie imo, it would have been among the top for my list if I could. Also Kara no Kyoukai since it aired December in cinemas I think, so a subbed version won't be out until sometime this year... one of the movies I've been looking forward to a lot so a shame I can't vote for it since I haven't seen it yet. But yeah Code Geass <3 it placed fifth on the one last year so at least it was in there.

If I remember right the reason you can only vote for shows that started that year is because otherwise you can vote for all those long series as well that just kept going and going like Bleach, Naruto and One Piece, so it's restricted in it's own way, but more free in another. Sure maybe we haven't seen all episodes but don't know does that really matter if we enjoy it a lot? Thinking that we have to see everything before voting isn't that a restriction as well? I don't really mind either way since it's just a minor thing, besides if most do it one way if someone does it another way isn't it more fun? Since at least we get a different kind of list in that case instead of one that everyone else uses as well, then again my opinion is kinda biased.

But I do agree sometimes the end will alter how much you like a show, like Claymore which I enjoyed quite a lot until the end came about then it just plunged and Raki was so damn useless and annoying that I wish someone would kill him already just to shut him up. Just that from all the animes I've seen there's been quite little amount of endings that disappointed me other than those that start using fillers instead since most shows are somewhat predictable how they're going to end. To me it's more about the ride until the end than the end itself that makes the anime, of course the ending have to keep up the same tempo as the rest as well but yeah like I said it's not that often they don't.

Somewhat surprised no one mentioned Dennou Coil, granted I haven't seen it yet but from what I've heard isn't it one of the better animes this year?

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Dennou Coil I really liked a lot at first, but then you began to wonder why Yasako was even the main character, as she stopped appearing in most of the episodes beyond a few minutes. The series lost focus for me, and just couldn't compete with a lot of the other shows that came up at the same time as it did or after it started.

I get that you wouldn't be able to vote for the super long series if you only went by when the series ended, but that doesn't make it right to have to judge a series by a small a portion of it's story.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-20-2008, 10:04 AM
@Ryll - did you finish Dennou Coil? I found that it lost velocity in the middle, but picked up the pace and ended really well.

I also think that the ending is very important, since it can make or break a show.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-20-2008, 11:25 AM
I did finish it, but I still didn't think it came back together quite right. Part of it was an large gap between releases from Ureshii somewhere in the high teens, but that wasn't all.

Enough about Dennou Coil, this is not the place to discuss it.

fireheart
Mon, 01-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Ryll: I don't know about that, to you it might be a bigger thing while to me as I've said it's just a minor thing. Because we do judge anime from the moment we start watching them, if we don't how do we know if it's something we want to keep watching or not? We judge things accordingly to what we've seen, whether it's anime or anything else and sometimes we have the whole picture sometimes we don't. That's why I think your way of thinking is a restriction as well that's not saying mine isn't nor that there's anything wrong with your way of thinking. I write reviews on animes that I haven't finished simply because no one else have so it's more of a this is what I've seen and think about it so far, some can probably claim it to be comments since it's not a proper review if I haven't seen everything and I'm to lazy to go in and change it after the shows finished. Obviously there are flaws in that way of thinking but if I seen a good anime and notice no ones written anything about it then sometimes I just do it. Who knows if I'm lucky someone will start watching that anime even though it's based on just a portion of the anime. Simply put nothing is 100% fair and you can't make everyone happy with these things because someone will always disagree.
And yeah if everyone does it the other way then I'm actually glad that we're doing it that way. Everything shouldn't be done in just one way, you find the options restricted while others might find the kind of options you want to be restricted. Naruto ended 2007 but I sure wouldn't call it a 2007 anime just because it ended that year nor call it anywhere near the top of 2007.

Barcode120x
Tue, 01-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Code Geass
Seirei no Moribito
Darker Than Black
Devil May Cry
Touka Gettan-it's hard to understand, but I'm slowly getting the order of it and I think it's great

kooshi
Thu, 01-24-2008, 07:10 PM
My top 5 from that list:

1. Lucky Star
2. Seirei no Moribito
3. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
4. Nodame Cantabile
5. 5 Centimeters per Second

Lucifus
Wed, 01-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Code Geass - Majority was '07.....I have to vote for Geass. :cool:
Baccano!
Darker Than Black
Nodame Cantabile
Claymore

Sapphire
Thu, 01-31-2008, 06:30 AM
There were just so many amazing anime last year, I don't know if I can pick a top five..

Dennou Coil
Toward the Terra
Nodame Cantabile
Clannad
Claymore

I also love Tengen Toppa, but only the beginning. I never actually finished because I felt the end was dragging on a bit.. I plan to some day though. I moved Claymore down a little because though I feel the series is awesome, the first few eps before the flashback weren't that great. Shakugan is awesome but I never finished it (only watched the first few eps). D:

I don't even see Geass on there, because that would have been on the 2006 one, prolly. There's also many amazing anime that came out in '06, like Death Note.. :(

Edit: lolz, oops, I forgot Darker than Black. That would have been #1.

I came across this thread (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=12397). Good times.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I guess the top five without order for me would be:

Code Geass
Claymore
Darker than Black
Clannad
Gundam 00
(ef a close 6th)

It wasn't satisfied with lists following the started in/ended in 2007 method, so I broke the rules and any that aired in 2007 counts.

Everon
Thu, 02-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Seirei no Moribito
Nodame Cantabile
Gurren Lagann
Code Geass
Lovely Complex
(Toward the Terra) honarable mention.