PDA

View Full Version : TV: The Wire

Munsu
Wed, 01-16-2008, 04:21 PM
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/2240/wlogogw5.jpg

Wondering if anyone here watches this show... season 5, the final season just started a couple of weeks ago; three episodes are currently out.

This is one of the smartest, if not the smartest, tv show out there. Great acting and it has a little bit of everything. It has a drug war, a political war, labor wars, police bureocracy problems, red tape, school system problems... you name it; this has pretty much everything. Although the police department and the drug lords are the focus of the series... we see the crisis in Baltimore through many points of view. First season was mainly through the police, second season was seen mainly through a port company, third season mainly through drug trafficers, fourth season mainly through politicians and the school system, and the fifth season mainly through a newspaper company. During all these seasons, the police and the drug corner wars are still the focus of the story, but each season brings in a new perspective and player to the the plot.

Show is quite realistic and it really has some great characters. It might seem slow at first, but if you stick to it then you'll see how great it is. Everything is connected. Plus it's a show on HBO, a Premium Channel... most shows on networks like this are greatly done.

So anyone watches this show?

Set in Baltimore, this show centers around the city's inner-city drug scene. It starts as mid-level drug dealer, D'Angelo Barksdale beats a murder rap. After a conversation with a judge, Det. James McNulty has been assigned to lead a joint homicide and narcotics team, in order to bring down drug kingpin Avon Barksdale. Avon Barksdale, accompanied by his right-hand man Stringer Bell, enforcer Wee-Bey and many lieutenants (including his own nephew, D'Angelo Barksdale), has to deal with law enforcement, informants in his own camp, and competition with a local rival, Omar, who's been robbing Barksdale's dealers and reselling the drugs. The supervisor of the investigation, Lt. Cedric Daniels, has to deal with his own problems, such as a corrupt bureaucracy, some of his detectives beating suspects, hard-headed but determined Det. McNulty, and a blackmailing deputy. The show depicts the lives of every part of the drug "food chain", from junkies to dealers, and from cops to politicians.

Munsu
Mon, 03-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Well, finally watched the last 3 episodes... That's it, the series is done and the final season was great, just as the ending was great. Great conclusion to the season and series, something that you guys know is extremely rare for tv shows.

So, if you're one of those people that complaint about how tv shows are made for dumb people by dumb people, then this is a series you should check out... really one of the smartest tv shows ever created. Five seasons, 60 episodes total... go watch.

So no one here watches this show? You guys are missing out.

Xrlderek
Thu, 03-20-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm in the middle of season 4 right now. Was originally going to wait for the DVD to come out(already ordered it), but decided to just download it instead. The second season is my favorite so far.

rockmanj
Thu, 03-20-2008, 08:38 PM
I've watched it since the beginning, and I've always thought it was THE most important show on television. But I didn't think that and GWers would be into this kind of thing. It really was a masterpiece.