PDA

View Full Version : School's Back In Session

BurnHavoc
Tue, 01-08-2008, 10:49 AM
For all you Uni/College students out there, I suspect you're all returning to school for your second semester of the school yar. I'm back myself, sitting in my Introduction to Intelligent Systems class, being bored to death by a prof who has a terrible asian accent.

So, lets start this off with classes ;). My list looks like this:

Introduction to Intelligent Systems (3rd Year Comp Sci Class)
Computer Graphics (4th Year Comp Sci Class)
Preliminary Latin II (1st Year Latin Class)
The Roman Revolution (3rd Year Classical Studies Class, Dropping it cause the prof is terrible)
Greek Tragedy and Comedy (3rd Year Classical Studies Class)
Principles of Disease (3rd Year Pathology Class)

What's everyone else sleeping throu... err taking?

Animeniax
Tue, 01-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Why aren't you taking a Japanese language course instead of Latin? When are you ever going to use Latin? When you time travel to ancient Rome?

You'll miss these times. After college, it's a day in and day out rat race for the rest of your life. You think attending 3-4 hours of classes a day is bad? Try 8-10 hour work days, plus commute in heavy traffic, paying for everything, etc, etc. It sucks. Enjoy the easy life while you can. Get out and do something cool. Smoke some weed maybe. Take some risks. Anything you try in the future will have too many consequences or won't fit in your life.

DB_Hunter
Tue, 01-08-2008, 01:11 PM
He's taking Latin because its considered a Classical language.

BurnHavoc
Tue, 01-08-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm taking Latin because I take Classical Studies courses, several of which have the original texts in Latin available in a component course. I'm going to probally do a second degree in Classical Studies next year while I'm working on a Masters in Comp Sci. I'm not too interested in Japanese. I like Anime and all, but I can live with subtitles. I suck with learning languages, Latin is hard enough as it is and it's one I've always wanted to learn.

And I do enjoy life on the side man. I'm on the Exec for our Uni's FLASH (Fantasy, Literature, Anime, SciFi, Horror) club and run events (including organizing a big Anime North trip), have big parties at my place every month or so, I chill out in my basement with friends smokin weed out of the Jade Goddess (our 3-hose Hookah) playin games on my Wii or PS2. I run a guild that plays TF2 , Tabula Rasa, and are waiting for WAR to come out. I go out the the bars all the time, I've worked day jobs with a few of the DJs so it always makes for good fun being able to jump the line when it comes to song requests, and never pay covers :P

Yeah, I'll probally miss these times, but nontheless I'm probally gonna end up in one of two places: Chillin as a Systems Administrator at some tech business or gov't, something I've done in the past and like doing and usually have alot of free time with.... or teaching, which is more of the same as what I'm doing right now, just at the front of the class instead of in the seats.

darkshadow
Wed, 01-09-2008, 02:57 AM
3rd* semester:
Presentation and communication
Conceptualising and designprocesses
Project 3
Objectoriented programming
2d-Animation
Graphical design for games 1: Texture

BurnHavoc
Wed, 01-09-2008, 10:42 AM
3rd* semester:
Presentation and communication
Conceptualising and designprocesses
Project 3
Objectoriented programming
2d-Animation
Graphical design for games 1: Texture

ohhh, sexysounding. A game design program I take it?

Ziggy
Wed, 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Modelling and programming 1

Logic

Linear algebra

Bases of technical computer science 1

Algorithms and data structures

Animeniax
Wed, 01-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Do you have to be pretty good at C programming before taking these courses, or can you learn it from these classes? Is it still C++, or some other language?

Ziggy
Wed, 01-09-2008, 02:08 PM
We are learning JAVA and I didn't take any pre-courses for it. So yes, you can learn it from these classes.

BurnHavoc
Wed, 01-09-2008, 04:32 PM
It really depends on the prof too, some prefer a certain language for their class, others just give you concepts and let you program in whatever language as long as you can get a resultant program and a nice thick documents to explain it ;)

I know in my Uni it's the 2 intro programming classes that teach general concepts that can be applied across most languages.

itadakimasu
Wed, 01-09-2008, 05:19 PM
1: Implementing and Managing a 2003 server infrastructure
2: 2003 Active Directory infrastructure
3: CCNP3 : Multi-layer switched networks

and with the 2 microsoft classes thats going to put me in the position of having to pick between which secondary degree plan i want to follow... the microsoft track requires 8 classes vs 4 ccnp courses but the ccnp stuff is really dry material and the microsoft stuff i get to actually use on the job.

Board of Command
Wed, 01-09-2008, 06:28 PM
School started up on Monday and...uh...differential equations..........FTL

Ryllharu
Wed, 01-09-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm so glad that's all over and done with, and now I get the joy of taking online training classes at work!
/sarcasm

I learned more about differential equations in all my engineering courses than the actual mathematics course.

KitKat
Wed, 01-09-2008, 07:38 PM
It's pretty awesome to be in grad school and actually loving the courses I'm taking. Here's my second semester lineup:

Acoustic Phonetics: Kinda like the physics of speech, analysing soundwaves and using that to contrast phonetic features and such.
Advanced Phonology: How sounds affect each other in a language. A lot of looking for patterns, which appeals to my engineer self.
Syntax and Semantics: Ok, maybe not as fun.....syntactic theory is rough to read....you'd think linguists would be able to communicate in a more engaging way.
Discourse Analysis: Looking at texts and stories, and how they are told, and what holds them together.
Russian: This semester includes a field trip!

DB_Hunter
Wed, 01-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm so glad that's all over and done with, and now I get the joy of taking online training classes at work!

I know your pain.

It's pretty awesome to be in grad school and actually loving the courses I'm taking.

I bet it is. I think by this point if you are going to continue studying its going to be an area you enjoy, rather than something you do to make a career and some money.

Animeniax
Thu, 01-10-2008, 12:16 AM
It's pretty awesome to be in grad school and actually loving the courses I'm taking. Here's my second semester lineup:

Acoustic Phonetics: Kinda like the physics of speech, analysing soundwaves and using that to contrast phonetic features and such.
Advanced Phonology: How sounds affect each other in a language. A lot of looking for patterns, which appeals to my engineer self.
Syntax and Semantics: Ok, maybe not as fun.....syntactic theory is rough to read....you'd think linguists would be able to communicate in a more engaging way.
Discourse Analysis: Looking at texts and stories, and how they are told, and what holds them together.
Russian: This semester includes a field trip!
Wow, I didn't know linguistics had so many options as a course of study. When do you get to learn ventriloquism?

BurnHavoc
Thu, 01-10-2008, 10:52 AM
hehehe, I'm glad I never had to take Diffyes. All my eng buddies bitch and moan about it. I just giggle.

Animeniax
Thu, 01-10-2008, 11:45 AM
I've always heard horror stories about diff-eq. But I also always heard horror stories about organic chemistry, which wasn't that hard.

Assertn
Thu, 01-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Why aren't you taking a Japanese language course instead of Latin? When are you ever going to use Latin? When you time travel to ancient Rome?

You'll miss these times. After college, it's a day in and day out rat race for the rest of your life. You think attending 3-4 hours of classes a day is bad? Try 8-10 hour work days, plus commute in heavy traffic, paying for everything, etc, etc. It sucks. Enjoy the easy life while you can. Get out and do something cool. Smoke some weed maybe. Take some risks. Anything you try in the future will have too many consequences or won't fit in your life.
I'm enjoying the rat race far more than college.

Animeniax
Thu, 01-10-2008, 01:19 PM
That says a lot about you, mostly negative.

Just kidding. Of course there's the money, and the concrete potential for success, rather than just the abstract future possibility of it. Also, you're building for your future, gaining experience and life lessons that you can only get at a work place and with adult friends.

But the grass on the campus lawn is greener, once you've left it.

darkshadow
Thu, 01-10-2008, 01:41 PM
ohhh, sexysounding. A game design program I take it?

pretty much, Game Design and Development.

Board of Command
Thu, 01-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I've always heard horror stories about diff-eq. But I also always heard horror stories about organic chemistry, which wasn't that hard.
The instructor for my class blows chunks. I don't really know if DE, as a topic, is hard or not. However, the instructor doesn't know how to teach so that certainly won't make it easy.

Animeniax
Thu, 01-10-2008, 11:27 PM
The instructor for my class blows chunks. I don't really know if DE, as a topic, is hard or not. However, the instructor doesn't know how to teach so that certainly won't make it easy.Just curious, is he yellow or something else?

Too many professors are experts in their field but can't teach. Unfortunately their egos are too big to realize that, plus being a university professor is almost as cool as being a Navy SEAL, at least when you're trying to impress chicks.

Assassin
Fri, 01-11-2008, 11:18 PM
hmm, courses...lets see.

Municipal hydraulics - fairly self explanatory...designing water delivery systems for a city

Reinforced concrete - all about designing reinforced concrete structures

Steel structures - designing members for use in steel buildings

Engineering systems - even after 2 lectures, i still dont know what this course is about

Geotechnical engineering B - soil mechanics, stress/strain loads on foundations

XanBcoo
Fri, 01-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Linguistics:

Language and the Brain: An anatomy-related class dealing with how speech is processed in the brain, upwards and downwards. Will be fun.

Sound Patterns: Analyzing sound patterns in other languages. Sounds boring and useless. I also hate the professor.

Spanish:
Advanced Grammar and Composition: Typical Spanish class.

Intro to Spanish American Lit. through Modernism: Spanish-speaking literature class similar to one I've already taken. An easy A and something I can hopefully use to appear cultured.

I also want a Psychology class and some sort of PE, but registration is a bitch.

Wow, I didn't know linguistics had so many options as a course of study.
The problem is that 50% of them are kinda wishy-washy and will only serve as a means to correct people's misunderstandings about language.

Animeniax
Sat, 01-12-2008, 03:30 AM
hmm, courses...lets see.

Municipal hydraulics - fairly self explanatory...designing water delivery systems for a city

Reinforced concrete - all about designing reinforced concrete structures

Steel structures - designing members for use in steel buildings

Engineering systems - even after 2 lectures, i still dont know what this course is about

Geotechnical engineering B - soil mechanics, stress/strain loads on foundations
Sweet, you'll be able to get Pakistan out of the 3rd world with your new skills.

The problem is that 50% of them are kinda wishy-washy and will only serve as a means to correct people's misunderstandings about language. Some of these courses sound very interesting, if not practical for making money.

Junior
Tue, 01-15-2008, 01:35 PM
School starts for me tomorrow.

it looks like I'm the only one still in...HS. >.> LAST YEAR. WHOOOO

KitKat
Wed, 01-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Some of these courses sound very interesting, if not practical for making money.

Linguistics is a really interesting area of study because it can encompass courses ranging from acoustics to psychology to sociology/anthropology, and any other area that deals with language in some way. It can be extremely structured and scientific, to very open to interpretation.

There's actually some potential to get grants to study dying languages right now, since protecting and cataloging linguistic diversity is a really hot topic in the linguistic community right now. On a less academic side, you can also get very well-paid jobs working as a translator. I have a friend who graduated from linguistics who is working for a software company right now, writing their help files. It's his job to basically 'translate' what the engineers and program developers tell him about the software into something that's readable and comprehendable by the general population.

@Jr: The highschoolers here probably outnumber those of us who are older. We just keep them locked in the Naruto forum.

itadakimasu
Fri, 02-01-2008, 07:35 PM
turns out i'm the only person in my ccnp class.... i started to hope it would just be cancelled and take another class but they said they're going to have the one instuctor kind of jump between classes or something like that.... meehhh hopefully it goes ok, lots of boring reading though.

my 2003 server class is going good though, it is the 70-291 which covers dhcp, dns, seurity and idk what else, then next half is all active directory wOOT

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-01-2008, 07:54 PM
meehhh hopefully it goes ok, lots of boring reading though.
Just wait til you get to the working world...