PDA

View Full Version : TV/Movie: Dead Like Me

Munsu
Tue, 01-08-2008, 02:08 AM
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/2017/deadlikemerd6.jpg

Well, this is a series that aired in Showtime 2-3 years ago, quite a cool one. Don't know if anyone here has seen it, and if you haven't you should take the time to check it out. Some great characters in it, and quite funny at times while a bit messed up at other times. So in general, if you like dark comedies and drama you might want to give this a look.

18-year-old George Lass (Ellen Muth) dies when a toilet from the MIR space station falls from the sky and hits her. However, soon she discovers that afterlife really does exist... she becomes a reaper - she helps in catching the souls of people moments before they're destined to die. Then she meets a group of reapers who collect people's souls. The main reaper is Rube (Mandy Patinkin), who is always playing smart, Roxy (Jasmine Guy), a reaper with an additude, Mason (Callum Blue), a confused and funny reaper and Daisy (Laura Harris), a beautiful reaper full of mysteries. The other characters include George's family - mother Joy (Cynthia Stevenson), father Clancy (Greg Kean) and sister Reggie (Britt McKillip), who each have their own way to deal with George's death.

Anyways, the show was cancelled after the second season for lame reasons, it was getting quite good ratings. The main reason for this thread is that it has been brought to my attention that a sequel movie has been made and it will be released directly to DVD sometime this year. It also seems that the show might get picked up again to air as a series after the movie, probably depending on how well it sells.

So some good news here for those that have seen the series, and if you haven't go try it out.

Here's the trailer for the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu35AKC-eGI

Abdula
Tue, 01-08-2008, 01:19 PM
It also seems that the show might get picked up again to air as a series after the movie, probably depending on how well it sells.

Oh Please let this be true. A straight to DVD movie is one thing but if the show gets picked up again:D

Munsu
Tue, 01-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, that's a possibility that Ellen Muth had on her blog last summer. I know reruns are being shown or had been shown on Sci-Fi. So even though I doubt it would return to a Premium Channel, I think there might be a good chance in some other type of network. The bad thing is that if this were to be done, the swearing and probably the graphic gore would be removed from the series. And if that's the case, I hope there's like an unrated version of the DVD. Now this is all wishful thinking, but it would be cool if a third season gets done. Here's hoping for the movie to sell well.

BurnHavoc
Tue, 01-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Out of what I understand the creator of Dead Like Me quit because he wanted to work on his new project idea, which turned out to be Heroes.

Munsu
Tue, 01-08-2008, 05:17 PM
That's false, he left because he was fighting with the Studio, MGM was fucking them up.
http://www.mediavillage.com/jmentr/2005/06/06/jmer-06-06-05/

But other than being involved with Heroes, his real new baby is Pushing Daisies which has some similar elements to Dead Like Me and it has some abilities that he had planned for some characters in DLM.

SamuraiOdin
Tue, 01-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Teaser for the movie looked good. I loved the series, only problem with the movie is that they seem to have recast Daisy, and it looks like Rube is no where to be found (he was always one of my favorites)

Abdula
Tue, 01-08-2008, 11:01 PM
I don't know the trailer didn't look very impressive but I'm not basing anything on that. Since they have a new boss I'm guessing Rube filled his quota and moved one. Didn't that happen during the series I honestly can't remember.

Munsu
Tue, 01-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Teaser for the movie looked good. I loved the series, only problem with the movie is that they seem to have recast Daisy, and it looks like Rube is no where to be found (he was always one of my favorites)
Well the actress playing Daisy is currently on a TV Show, so they probably couldn't get her to do the part. But I like Sarah Wynter, so I really won't be bothered much by it.

As for Rube, I highly doubt Mandy wanted to reprise his role just because he has a history of getting bored with roles and moving on to the next one. He recently did it with Criminal Minds. But the new boss is Desmond from LOST, and I think he'll do a fine job. Of course Rube will be missed, but that doesn't mean having a new boss will suck. A surely Rube probably will have passed on, he was the oldest one there after all... it was about time anyways.

Lucied
Tue, 01-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Dead like me was one of the best shows I've ever seen... The movie should be good, it has enough of the original cast so it should be good... All I can say is the actress who plays George's sister has really grown up, I didn't think it was the same actress at first but it is! She's turned out be a pretty nice hottie.

Assassin
Tue, 01-15-2008, 07:29 PM
wtf, its the same girl? damn

Munsu
Tue, 01-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah, she's growing up nicely... she'll be 17 in a couple of days.

Ryllharu
Tue, 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM
wtf, its the same girl?
That's what I thought the first two times watching it, but her features are similar enough, and her voice is exactly the same.

damn
Indeed.

Munsu
Fri, 01-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Well, good news shitheads... the movie Dead Like Me: Life After Death is OUT!:
http://torrentz.com/89e6226ec60bf6adf81bb90c027368a16293c52b
http://torrentz.com/166e40a1438acb30c39e5e60ca4f8a28ad8ac4fc

Discuss.