PDA

View Full Version : Gundam 00 Episode 12

Death13a
Mon, 12-24-2007, 12:27 PM
http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Kidou_Senshi_Gundam_00_-_12_%5BB175245D%5D.avi.torrent

and Nyoro~n Subs are up as well

Yukimura
Mon, 12-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Alright I've finally come to accept that CB 'laser' weapons aren't the same as SEED type lasers and they don't just pass through matter like it's tissue paper and then cause it to explode.

The Grahah vs Lockon Battle was very interesting, I really liked how it showed a physical toll being taken on Grahams' body for dodging those shots. Though I still don't understand how he can be reacting in time to dodge a shot that's traveling at least as fast as his own bullets if not faster, but at least there are still some physics governing his reaction to the dodging.

As to the plot, I have completely lost interest in it at this point. Boo war, yay intervention, religion makes people crazy, etc, etc. Get on to the next battle soon please.

Phoenix20578
Mon, 12-24-2007, 05:45 PM
As to the plot, I have completely lost interest in it at this point. Boo war, yay intervention, religion makes people crazy, etc, etc. Get on to the next battle soon please.

Well, this was a good intro episode for whats about to happen. I think Setsuna is going to evolve as a pilot, since I think he's facing his old master/instructor.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Menclave's release.

HD (http://bt.mendoi-fansubs.com/torrents/%5BConclave-Mendoi%5D_Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00_-_12_%5B1280x720_H.264_AAC%5D%5BEB9127A3%5D.mkv.tor rent)

SD (http://bt.mendoi-fansubs.com/torrents/%5BConclave-Mendoi%5D_Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00_-_12_%5B704x400_H.264_AAC%5D%5B0BEE3681%5D.mkv.torr ent)

KrayZ33
Tue, 12-25-2007, 01:54 PM
i dont know why but setsuna does remind me of

http://www.hollywoodstandups.com/images/Eeyore.jpeg

for example when the old man yelled at him "you dont belong here go away"....

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Dual wielding Dynames looked pretty awesome.That twirly shield thing on the flag was interesting. We've seen it before, but it does make a lightweight and less cumbersome shield. I just don't see how normal pilots would be able to react like Graham did and block them all, a bit like blocking shots with a sword. Yeah, Yuki mentioned that the Gundam's lasers don't have godly penetration. I wonder how well it'll work out for Lockon though if he gets a shot in after transferring full power to his weapons system.

Seeing Setsuna saying "I'm not Gundam." was pretty interesting. It makes sense too. He was saved by a Gundam when he was a kid, and has been admiring them like a God ever since. Being chosen as a Gundam Meister, he thinks of himself as the rightful person to carry out this god's task. But having failed to rescue the children in such a way that the first Gundam had rescued him, he now sees himself as unfit for the role.

No Gundam next week...*sigh*, which series isn't taking an Xmas break?

masamuneehs
Wed, 12-26-2007, 01:31 AM
honestly, i'm of the same opinion about the plot... I don't really see a whole lot in it. It's got a great setting, taking some modern day and historical precedents and creating a rather thorough world stage for the events to unfold on...

But I just don't care. I mean, we know no side is really good or bad (although Ali and whoever is behind him continue to evolve into pure villains), but why should we care? Care about the pilots? Bah. Care about Marina and her country? For all the facts we know about the country's history and Marina's role in her government, I still don't think we've got a real reason to give two shits about her.

This show doesn't seem to be doing a good job investing us in the characters or parties involved. We're showered with facts (sometimes to repetition) about how things came to be, where the characters come from, etc., but there've been only a few scenes were we could actually sit down and say "THIS makes me care about the character or country!"

Setsuna's child soldier opening scene, Allelujah's spook space shuttle past, Sergei's somewhat guilty compassion towards the HRL Super Soldier Girl (and his initial horror at the project), Hal and Al's excellent dialouges, Ali appearing as a jihadist in a flashback after we know he's a selfish, money hungry weasel... Aside from these scenes, I've yet to see anything convey information and emotion to the viewer.

the exception continues to be Graham Acre. The way he talks, the things he says, we're constantly learning about his personality. He has yet to have a big flashback or any personal history revealed, but all of his scenes continue to slowly build him up as someone who we're supposed to care about.

Also, Marina's assistant. Goddamn that woman just oozes strength! You can tell she's the type who would be best suited to be in a position of power, but is denied that because of circumstances, so works as hard as possible to have be an impact player anyway.

Take the Azadistan opposition leader in this episode. The guy is central to the entire episode. Everything that happens revolves around him in some way. Yet, aside from the first scene where we're shown he's reluctant to use force, what do we really learn about him? What do we care if he lives or dies? We're set up to think of him as a compassionate person from Marina's flashback with him, but that's too little too late. So long as central plot events hinge on characters that we don't care about, it's like we're watching some weird glittering news cast: the events might be complex, the stage massive, the consequences important, but the people are just names and the events remain distant to us.

This show plows through plot events and showers us with information, but it doesn't give us enough small things for character development. Honestly, I think I know more about Saji, Louise, and her mom than I do about main characters or countries. Show us some conversation about meaningless stuff (like Felt and the other CB girl had about shopping that one time), show us some humor based on character actions / mood (like Louise's mom developing a thing for Saji).

Seriously, it isn't hard to make viewers care about your characters and the world they live in. Almost every single movie and anime I've seen has made me more invested in it (even if I didn't like it) than this show does.

And, I swear to God, if I see one more scene with that CB Union rep where nothing new is revealed or said, I think I'm going to flip out. Nothing you haven't heard before or haven't figured out for yourself has ever been said by him. Complete waste of time.

Psyke
Wed, 12-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Graham Acre was awesome. Seems to me he'll eventually be getting a Gundam of his own. Or at least something better than a "mere Flag".

Ryllharu
Fri, 12-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Graham definitely stole this episode. He showed Lockon that he's a true master of mobile suits. A lot of the other pilots all around, and even that CB NAMBLA pedo who just drinks and makes snide comments without doing anything, have all commented once or twice that Setsuna (the supposed "main" character) pretty much sucks at piloting. The other Meistars have made some stupid mistake or another.

Graham displays his absurd ability in this fight. Putting aside how a beam weapon fires slow enough for him to react, he has an amazing repertoire of skills, from transforming his mobile suit to dodge a shot (proving he knows every inch of the Flag, and how and in what way it configures itself) to his insane reaction time. While his body can't entire handle the strain, he puts everything into his piloting and battle.

Yeah, the plot isn't always so cohesive. But to be honest, that's what I like about it. It's a good reflection on our own world. Leaders aren't perfect. Shirin is a better leader than Marina. No one appears to be truly good. The "heroes" aren't the best in their field by a long shot. A lot of people are in it for themselves, that HRL asshole that Sergei arrested, Al-hisnameistoohardtospell, everyone in the AEU. War is messy, sloppy, and a lot of innocent people get involved. Human exploitation that was supposed to be kept secret.

It's the reactions that everyone has to whatever the incident of the week is that makes the show. Saji and Louise, vaguely detached from it all, involved in a space disaster and a subsequent terrorist attack. All of a sudden they care. Then her mom drops in and they're back to only idly watching it all unfold on the news. If they're not directly involved, most people don't give a shit.

Christina losing it during the space battle, she's always been a civilian, not a soldier. Felt, child of soldiers, is barely effected by anything, just gets the job done. Sumeragi has ghosts of her own, copes by being an alcoholic.

Each of the Gundam pilots have their own little thing that makes them a little nuts, and then we're back to Graham. He's apparently always been the best, and he damn well doesn't want to be bested by someone just because they have better technology. He's egotistical. He sees each news item as a chance to prove his own worth against the Gundams by taking one down. He gets pissed when he misses his chance.

There doesn't really need to be a cohesive plot at this point. It's one, enormous character study.

Kraco
Mon, 12-31-2007, 07:18 PM
There doesn't really need to be a cohesive plot at this point. It's one, enormous character study.

While that could work under different situation (like Lucky Star or Minami-Ke), I don't see it working here, and I agree with Masa. Well, it's all fine to build a good psychological study of the human mind in real politics, but this is supposed to be an entertainment TV series, not a text book.

I see as the main problem here the fact this concentrates on pretty much nothing, like has been said, and presents an endless list of characters who do a multitude of different things for a total of three seconds before their screen time ends. You can't really build a story like that, not even a setting for developing characters. For Ryllharu's sake I will admit you can portray a cavalcade of characters like that but hardly develop in a manner that would spark any interest.

But I suppose if they had just concentrated for this one desert country for most of the series it wouldn't have given much of a global impression. Maybe they didn't have any alternatives with so many uninteresting characters, after all.

Ryllharu
Tue, 01-01-2008, 01:02 AM
I do agree with you both, just to a certain extent.

Anno Domini is a new universe to the Gundam metaverse. It's understandable if they want to take some time and establish...well, everything. I haven't seen a Gundam series in a long time, but they have taken their time establishing everything before in the past. G (the last series I watched) took a long time establishing characters in each of the nations before getting into the Devil/Dark Gundam main plot.

So yes, it is about time that Gundam 00 decided to give us a focus on the plot, since it is so far only listed as 25 episodes.

However, now that they have introduced us to all the characters, established their relative views, positions, and opinions on the world, CB, and their effect, more complicated plots can be covered without having to reestablish the viewpoints of the already large cast.