PDA

View Full Version : Movie: I Am Legend

Assassin
Sun, 12-16-2007, 02:54 AM
Wow. Thats all i can say about this movie. I watched it tonite, and just wow. I was expecting it to be another typical zombie flick ala RE or 28 days later, but it takes a rather simple and one dimensional genre and turns it into so much more....comedy, drama, action, and human emotion. Will smith really delivers in this movie....he's a uniquely talented actor, and almost no other actor could have made it work the way he did.

I recommend it to everyone....and watch it in the theaters. The over priced ticket is definitely worth it.

XanBcoo
Sun, 12-16-2007, 02:22 PM
I really want to see this movie. The concept alone is something I've always wanted to see. Looks good.

Will smith really delivers in this movie....he's a uniquely talented actor, and almost no other actor could have made it work the way he did.
I've actually thought before, when was it that Will Smith transformed into such a brilliant actor? There must have been some definitive moment where he stopped being "the Fresh Prince" and a bad rapper, and became the guy I saw in Pursuit of Happyness.

Genma
Sun, 12-16-2007, 08:13 PM
I was lucky enough to be in some detached mountain town when I saw this movie, and the tiny theater I went to had tickets so cheap that I was able to buy a medium popcorn... and still pay over a dollar less than what I would have for a matinée where I live.

Best $6 movie ever, seriously.

That aside, the CG was pretty crappy, but Will Smith's good portrayal of "the last man on earth" was excellent. Ending was a bit over the top, but hey, still turned out pretty good.

rockmanj
Sun, 12-16-2007, 08:20 PM
I think reading the book kinda ruined it for me...Like the first 75% of the movie was fantastic, but the ending was, IMO pretty bad. Like, there were elements from the book, but the whole meaning of "I am Legend" was totally changed, to something less poignant in the movie. Not that I didn't enjoy the movie, but yea...

Assassin
Tue, 12-18-2007, 04:36 PM
what was the original meaning of it rockmnj?

itadakimasu
Tue, 12-18-2007, 10:44 PM
I may be going to see this friday or saturday... Does Will Smith kill any aliens or bad guys at all?

That was my main beef with the last movie he did... i dont want to see emo will smith, i want to see will smith talking shit and killing people. anyhow...

The Omega Man (1971) Starring Charleston Heston... once I found out what the plot of this movie basically was I remembered having watched this rediculous movie a while ago.

Abdula
Tue, 12-18-2007, 11:50 PM
I really want to see this movie. I doubt I'll be able to actually go see it before the holidays are over but I'm really interested in it, the concept alone is enticing. The fact that he is the only actor in the movie and that its been getting great reviews makes me more interested. I'll have to wait till after the holidays to see in theaters though and I haven't been able to find any good quality streams or downloads.

I
I've actually thought before, when was it that Will Smith transformed into such a brilliant actor? There must have been some definitive moment where he stopped being "the Fresh Prince" and a bad rapper, and became the guy I saw in Pursuit of Happyness.

I think it was in 96, after independence day that was his "break out" film and he only got better after he did Enemy of The State

Genma
Wed, 12-19-2007, 11:55 AM
I may be going to see this friday or saturday... Does Will Smith kill any aliens or bad guys at all?

Yeah. It's part action, part emo... but I think the action sequences are more prevalent.

Not to spoil it too much, but he kills a good amount of "zombies," or whatever they are.

XanBcoo
Thu, 12-20-2007, 01:26 AM
Just saw this. Thought it was pretty great.

I only read the plot of the novel after I saw the movie, so I wasn't worried about how the meaning of the title was changed. Though I can see it was a seriously drastic departure. It's completely different.

That aside, I still liked it, despite some things not making sense - like the hispanic woman.

part emo
:rolleyes:

Idealistic
Sat, 12-29-2007, 03:57 AM
This was a great movie indeed. Saw it today. Some people have told me it sucked, but they just don't have taste! I was told this movie is Resident Evil, but with no action.

Might not have as much action, but the story/plot/dialogue/etc and all that crap was a hell of a lot better than the pathetic shitty Resident Evil movies.

Great movie overall. Will Smith did a hell of a job. And hey, Fresh Prince was the best ok? I still watch it. Never gets old. Funny stuff. And uhh.. His rapper days weren't that bad. Compared to the rappers today, Will Smith is a legend. lol... Crank that soulja boy!

Killa-Eyez
Sat, 12-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Dope stuff! Good movie, I really got cracking at the puppet part in the video store, while some people were crying (you know, when he says hello to it after Sam died). :p
Stupid ending with the handgrenate and all, would've love to see Will Smith going at it like Rambo. :p BTW, you can see that dude is getting older...

animus
Sat, 12-29-2007, 10:21 AM
The movie kinda went downhill after Sam died. It went from a interesting movie to a typical zombie flick. Besides, Sam shouldn't have died =*(

DB_Hunter
Sat, 12-29-2007, 10:28 AM
I think the movie was a bit slow at times. There wasn't enough focus on how the woman and her son survived all this time. I mean Will Smith was supposed to be a soldier and scientist. He was trained for survival. What about the woman and her son?

Besides, I didn't understand why he decided to die in the end. He done what he wanted, he could have just chucked the grenade at them and hid in with the other two.

NM
Sat, 12-29-2007, 01:11 PM
while some people were crying (you know, when he says hello to it after Sam died). :p

I'll admit, I felt like I was about to cry when Sam died. That was just really really sad. :( I mean, Neville pretty much lost the last person (or dog) to call family. And it was his daughter's dog nonetheless.

I thought this was a great movie, a different take on the already developed "zombie's take over" genre. It had some funny and sad moments, with some ok action. Will Smith did a really great job in it, I really can't see anybody else delivering in this movie like he did.

Testarossa Autodrive
Sat, 12-29-2007, 09:53 PM
I can't say I was completely awed by this film like some of you were, but I wasn't entirely disappointed. For one, I didn't like that there was a "leader" type figure within the Dark Seekers, even though I know they were probably just trying to create an obvious "villain" (since movie goers are retarded I guess). And also, although I know Neville had to come in contact with some human beings eventually, it was annoying having...what's her name, Anna? and the little boy come into the picture. I seriously thought there was going to be some romance in this film, but I was happy they didn't go that route.

There were actually a few things that I was impressed by. One, is like what I said above, how there was no romance twist. Also, the fact that the hero didn't make it out of this one alive. I really liked that Neville didn't survive, even if he had to sacrifice himself. It was a nice change for once.

Other than that, it was okay. Sometimes fast paced, sometimes slow. I'd give it maybe a C+/B-.

Assassin
Sun, 12-30-2007, 02:08 AM
i thought the point of having a leader for the zombies/vampires was to show that they weren't just violent, mindless animals, and infact had some understanding of hierarchal society....which was in sharp comparison to the fact that Neville thought otherwise when he captured the zombie girl and was making a recording of the incident. He said something along the lines of "i still can't see and semblance of human society in them".

Psyke
Sun, 12-30-2007, 02:57 AM
Having a hierachy doesn't mean that they have any traces of human semblace left. Animals also establish leaders based on strength, etc. I just saw the movie, and perhaps some of the posts here gave me a very high standard for the movie. It wasn't as good as I had expected, and I would actually prefer I, robot over this. I thought the movie ended too abruptly, and that the cgi wasn't really convincing.

XanBcoo
Sun, 12-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Like most of you, I thought the movie pretty much sucked 2/3 of the way in, after Sam died. Everything up to that point was amazing. It was creepy as hell and really gripping, and then all of a sudden...

Psychic-Hispanic woman shows up despite the lack of access to the island! Oh hay, a mute kid just like in all horror movies! Why are they there? Who cares, it will wrap things up nicely.

And what's this?? Heavy religious themes out of fucking nowhere??

It really didn't sit well with me and I couldn't figure out why until I read the synopsis and ending of the original book. It just felt tacked-on and poorly handled. Too much Deus-ex-machina = lazy writing imo.

Y
Wed, 01-02-2008, 05:04 AM
Good film. The third act stops it from being a great film, but still a wonderful exploration of isolation and survival.

The vampire leader was obviously intelligent - the ending was rewritten to delete a subplot where the female vampire that Neville captured ends up being his mate, he domesticated the dogs to a degree, he rigged up a copy of Neville's trap with the mannequin, he came outside to get a glimpse of Neville when he captured the girl so he knew what he looked like, etc.

Raven
Fri, 01-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Enjoyable for me, but not absolutely omg-fantastic-amazing.

It felt a bit run of the mill, like it had stolen parts from 28 Days Later, Res Evil and Silent Hill and mushed them all together. The head zombie guy was totally Pyramid Head without his helmet or sword. ;)

It did keep me entertained, I just felt like it lacked a certain something. Depth? Twists? Not sure really. They should have elaborated more on the flashbacks, maybe showed how the world’s population was wiped out. They should have explained about how the mother/son survived and got onto the island. His wife and child didn't need to die in the helicopter, they could have just flown away or even separated when she first didn't get scanned properly.

Btw, the CG seemed really, really crap to me. It seemed to have frames missing from the animation or something and ruined the whole scary/creepy feel. And why would a human, infected by a virus developed to kill cancer, be horribly allergic to UV rays?

rockmanj
Fri, 01-04-2008, 07:35 AM
All of that was explained in the book...I'm not sure why it wasnt touched on in the movie...well, maybe general viewing audiences would get it. who knows?

Raven
Thu, 01-10-2008, 01:31 AM
I should probably read the book actually. It probably explains a lot more than I realize.

Spiegel
Thu, 01-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Good film overall, though the ending after the... well.... you hide here part was just not the best in my opinion. Not sure what it was that was lacking but it just seemed like it did have something else they could have done. But whatever, worth the money to see in theaters.

Junior
Tue, 01-15-2008, 11:07 AM
I saw this movie awhile ago and I really liked it. My family thought it was boring but I thought it was well done.

It's a whole new experience and definitely not your average everyday zombie movie. It focuses a lot on Human emotion and what it's like to be in that situation.

And that damn dog. I loved her. D:

XanBcoo
Tue, 01-15-2008, 12:02 PM
It did keep me entertained, I just felt like it lacked a certain something. Twists?

And that damn dog. I loved her. D:
I don't know about you guys, but that twist had me floored.

[The vampire leader] rigged up a copy of Neville's trap with the mannequin
Apparently there's some controversy over this point. I read that it was actually Neville who set that tarp and mannequin as a trap (and in his madness, jumped to conclusions and forgot about them). I guess it's possible that the vampires were able to reverse-engineer that trap after only seeing it once, but it seems more likely to me that it was the former.

Y
Wed, 01-16-2008, 02:17 AM
Apparently there's some controversy over this point. I read that it was actually Neville who set that tarp and mannequin as a trap (and in his madness, jumped to conclusions and forgot about them). I guess it's possible that the vampires were able to reverse-engineer that trap after only seeing it once, but it seems more likely to me that it was the former.

Only once? Neville had trapped hundreds, possibly thousands of vampires. Neville's routine seems to show why this isn't a vampire trap he set: he doesn't hide the trigger mechanism because they're not intelligent enough to avoid it, he baits the trap with his own blood which draws vampires pretty much immediately, he sets his traps in dark areas because you don't catch vampires by putting a trap out on the middle of the street in broad daylight, and the trap was baited with a mannequin to draw Neville in specifically (the mannequins have clearly been left outside for quite a while without being attacked by the vampires, so baiting a trap for a vampire using one seems silly).

XanBcoo
Thu, 03-06-2008, 12:13 AM
I Am Legend alternate ending (http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/03/05/must-watch-i-am-legends-original-ending-this-is-amazing/) from the DVD release of the movie.

Wow, I can't believe they threw this one out in favor of the crap I saw several months ago.

Assassin
Thu, 03-06-2008, 01:19 AM
damn that was good....i guess they chose to cater to the mindless drones who just want explosions instead of making a proper ending.

XanBcoo
Thu, 03-06-2008, 05:21 PM
damn that was good....i guess they chose to cater to the mindless drones who just want explosions instead of making a proper ending.
More like the chose to cater to an audience craving deus-ex-machina plot devices and a Christ-like hero who sacrifices himself.

My favorite part of the alternate ending is that it leaves out the survivor colony bullshit and opts for an ambiguous ending as they drive out of New York. The fact that there were other survivors in the movie at all bugged the hell out of me, and the colony just added even more plotholes for the sake of a "feel good" ending.

Alicia Braga's character shouldn't have even been in the movie, but at least this ending doesn't validate her claim of psychic powers given to her by God and having Faith.

Sapphire
Thu, 03-06-2008, 07:22 PM
I always thought the theatrical ending was horrible and illogical. America needs to try harder to make films that actually have some emotional and psycological depth. Maybe they could try their hand at being, omg, profound!

...Or is there srsly no money in that? I know we are capable...

rockmanj
Thu, 03-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I definitely thought the new ending was an improvement...still not really satisfied with the tone of it, but you cant have everything, i guess.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 03-06-2008, 07:29 PM
much better than the film version, though I liked the glass butterfly better.

so what, WIll smith and the girl drive off to look for other humans, and leave new york to the zombies? and in few years 'Humanland" and "Zombiestan" will exist and political leaders would meet and discuss about the ecologic crisiss?

Abdula
Thu, 03-06-2008, 08:01 PM
That was nice.

I always thought the theatrical ending was horrible and illogical. America needs to try harder to make films that actually have some emotional and psycological depth. Maybe they could try their hand at being, omg, profound!

...Or is there srsly no money in that? I know we are capable...

Thats why we have foreign films, no?

Idealistic
Thu, 03-06-2008, 08:33 PM
My favorite part of the alternate ending is that it leaves out the survivor colony bullshit and opts for an ambiguous ending as they drive out of New York. The fact that there were other survivors in the movie at all bugged the hell out of me, and the colony just added even more plotholes for the sake of a "feel good" ending.

Same here. I liked the fact that in this ending there is no colony and Will Smith really was the last man on Earth... Or I think he was. I didn't read the book.

Reading the article though, makes it more clear as to why the title is "I Am Legend". I always wondered what kind of name that was for a zombie-flick prior to having no knowledge of it being based on a book.