PDA

View Full Version : Watch your fansubs on your XBox 360

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Just a heads up for any of you 360 owners out there.

A recent XBL update has added a bunch of DivX/XVid codecs to the 360's video player.

Which means that now, most of your fansubs can be played on your 360 from a burned DVD data disc. No need to try and recode the format or anything.

I've been checking out my library and almost all of my stuff runs.

It's quite awsome as I'm finally able to watch my HD episodes of One Piece on my HDTV. I've started rewatching the Water 7 arc.

Just wanted to let everyone know. If you own a 360 and an HDTV(normal tv's cut off most of the subtitles in most fansubs because of the picture shape), you'll be in heaven.

Ryllharu
Tue, 12-11-2007, 01:46 PM
I watched a couple episodes of Lucky Star on it. Looks great even on my SD TV. You don't even need to burn them to a dvd if you have a legal copy of Windows XP with Windows Media Player 11. Just have it scan your drives, and you can stream it over a wireless network (or use an ethernet hub for the same results).

I agree that it is amazing...

Unless you had generally preferred the x264/h264 format in the .mkv container due to their better compression ratio and support of softsubs...

A lot of the older stuff doesn't run either. Anything encoded in less than DivX 5.0 or the equivalent will not run.

Now if we can only get Microsoft to support Matroska, I'll be in heaven.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah, my very early episodes of Naruto didnt run. The ones subbed by Toriyama's World. But all the rest seem to run right up through Shippuuden.

I haven't tried any of the h264 ones I have...

Kraco
Tue, 12-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Now if we can only get Microsoft to support Matroska, I'll be in heaven.

I wonder if that's ever going to happen, because mkv in general isn't used by the industry, only by private individuals, and most likely private individuals = pirates in Microsoft's vocabulary...

YaGaMi
Tue, 12-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Thats great news, somethings better than nothing.