PDA

View Full Version : Kimi ga Nozomu Eien season 2

TheBladeChild
Thu, 12-06-2007, 03:58 PM
The promo is up on crunchyroll. I dont wanna link it because I got in trouble for linking something last time. So what are your thoughts on this guys?

David75
Thu, 12-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the news.
I'm pleased with it, however, I wonder what trick they'll use to have an interresting plot to a story which end was quite closed.
Well, it's always possible they say Haruka was lying to herself and Takayuki and that at some point the burden is too heavy and she storms back in Takayuki's life

Ryllharu
Thu, 12-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Wasn't this just the alternative ending retelling that results in a happy end for Haruka?

I believe it is also only an OVA.

I'm still totally looking forward to it.

Kraco
Thu, 12-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Hmm... I don't really know what to think of it. While KGNE is a series worth its praise I only got a depressed and ugly feeling after watching it. I wonder if I could even dare look at the second season. According to the ANN article, it will be a retelling with a different ending, so chances are... well, chances are it will be just as depressing.

David75
Thu, 12-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Hmm... I don't really know what to think of it. While KGNE is a series worth its praise I only got a depressed and ugly feeling after watching it. I wonder if I could even dare look at the second season. According to the ANN article, it will be a retelling with a different ending, so chances are... well, chances are it will be just as depressing.
I hope it will, with style and nicely done.
After all, this anime in its 14 episodes is a gem.
I wonder if they can be up to what the first series was. All the more with a short OAV.

Since it's an anime where the main guy can't choose beetween 2 different yet both sweet girls and fate choose for him at first... I wonder if they'll have him suicide at the end of the OAV. That would be very dark, yet possible from what we had in the first season. But I guess killing the main character is never good on sales.

Yukimura
Thu, 12-06-2007, 07:03 PM
I probably going to end up saying boo to any retelling but I'm excited to see the characters again. I felt the ending to KGNE was perfect. If it had happened any other way (i.e if Takayuki had decided to stick with Haruka instead) it would have resulted in an unfair situation for everyone involved. Haruka wouldn't get to take responsibility for her own state and would probably remain a coddled little princess, Mitsuki would get unfairly cheated out of her boyfriend, and Takayuki's life would become one of penance for something that ultimately wasn't his fault. Bad for everyone.

TheBladeChild
Mon, 12-10-2007, 01:21 AM
I probably going to end up saying boo to any retelling but I'm excited to see the characters again. I felt the ending to KGNE was perfect. If it had happened any other way (i.e if Takayuki had decided to stick with Haruka instead) it would have resulted in an unfair situation for everyone involved. Haruka wouldn't get to take responsibility for her own state and would probably remain a coddled little princess, Mitsuki would get unfairly cheated out of her boyfriend, and Takayuki's life would become one of penance for something that ultimately wasn't his fault. Bad for everyone.

I still didnt like the ending of the first season. That doesnt mean it wasnt good IMO, it just means that I wanted Haruka to end up with Takayuki and also I hated Mitsuki. Friends dont do that to friends even if she was still looking for her own happiness, which she got, it still kinda felt messed up. I dont know its hard to judge, if you dont go through a similar situation yourself.

Board of Command
Mon, 12-10-2007, 01:24 AM
How come a majority of people hate Mitsuki? I certainly liked her a lot. I felt she was the most realistic character in the series.

TheBladeChild
Mon, 12-10-2007, 01:35 AM
Your right she is doesnt mean we cant hate her. I know she had feelings for Takayuki even before Haruka and Takayuki were dating but still it just feels wrong that she took her best friend's boyfriend while Haruka was in a coma. Keyword: feels, many may argue that given the same situation, they would fight for their love no matter what. Its just my opinion that it was wrong of her to do so given the circumstances.

David75
Mon, 12-10-2007, 02:13 AM
Your right she is doesnt mean we cant hate her. I know she had feelings for Takayuki even before Haruka and Takayuki were dating but still it just feels wrong that she took her best friend's boyfriend while Haruka was in a coma. Keyword: feels, many may argue that given the same situation, they would fight for their love no matter what. Its just my opinion that it was wrong of her to do so given the circumstances.

If I remember correctly, Mitsuki did endure a lot of self torture before really starting to date Takayuki. We speak in months, years maybe...
All the while, she had to support Takayuki on the verge of suicide, she had to care for him as if he were in an asylum, but she did it alone. This is an awful weight on a young girl becoming a woman. After winning against all of this, Takayuki gets better and then she just lets herself go... and thinks to herself she has the right to do so!

Now for the Takayuki/Haruka relationship? in the first place, Takayuki wasn't deeply in love. It seems to me he liked her, no more. But it takes time as they say.
I don't remember clearly, but Haruka and Takayuki are together for 4/6 months at max?
Well, Mitsuki supported and lived with Takayuki a lot more.

Any side you take it, Mitsuki didn't do things the wrond way for others, she only terribly torturred herself in the process.

Kraco
Mon, 12-10-2007, 03:03 AM
How come a majority of people hate Mitsuki?

Is that even true? I kept hoping for the whole time she would get Takayuki. It's too bad Haruka was in a coma, but such things happen in life, albeit rarely, but still it means the relationship can't go anywhere (that is, it will most likely diminish). And if the coma lasts for a very long time it's pretty selfish, even if understandable, for the patient to think everything will be as it was after all that time. Especially when we are talking about a high-school romance. Like David75 said, I also felt it was more like that between Haruka and Takayuki; they both wanted someone to date and seemed to find the other likable. But there was no doubt of how much Mitsuki cared for the zombie of a man, Takayuki.

TheBladeChild
Mon, 12-10-2007, 03:46 AM
Is that even true? I kept hoping for the whole time she would get Takayuki. It's too bad Haruka was in a coma, but such things happen in life, albeit rarely, but still it means the relationship can't go anywhere (that is, it will most likely diminish). And if the coma lasts for a very long time it's pretty selfish, even if understandable, for the patient to think everything will be as it was after all that time. Especially when we are talking about a high-school romance. Like David75 said, I also felt it was more like that between Haruka and Takayuki; they both wanted someone to date and seemed to find the other likable. But there was no doubt of how much Mitsuki cared for the zombie of a man, Takayuki.

I think what it comes down to is your friend or the love of your life. She obviously chose the latter and ended up finding happiness. Haruka though she find her love she found some semblence of peace in the end. Personally I felt that love was blooseming between them when they were dating it just it didnt get anywhere because of her accident. All I know is that if your friend goes into a coma and you have a secret crush(or love) for his/her girl/boy-friend you dont go on a date with them.

And ya Kraco, I do believe most people hate Mitsuki, I cant site my sources but when I look around various forums and sites hosting this series a lot more people hate Hayase then Haruka. I may be wrong though.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-10-2007, 04:19 AM
I personally like Mitsuki a lot mroe than Haruka.

I do understand how many people would like Haruka more though, since she doesnt really show many dirty/dark sides of her personality, at least compared to Mitsuki. She simply didnt have the time to, being in a coma and stuck on a bed all ignorant for most of the series.

It wasnt a choice of her friend over her desire for love. In the first place it wasnt determined whether Haruka would wake up or not. If lets say there was a set date or if the chances are high that she would return/wake up, I would agree that Mitsuki cheated Haruka in a way. But that is not the case in KGNE.

TheBladeChild
Mon, 12-10-2007, 04:38 AM
Dang its sounding more and more like people here like Mitsuki more then Haruka >.<

Im obviously a Haruka sympathizer, I just seems out of all the characters, she seems to be the one that got royally screwed. Loss of her friends, boyfriend, and not to mention the loss of those 3 years.

Kraco
Mon, 12-10-2007, 05:03 AM
Strictly technically speaking Mitsuki probably cheated by taking Haruka's boyfriend - after all, being in a coma Haruka wasn't there to let Takayuki go. A break-up could have happened at some point for one reason or another between them, who knows, like going to study in different, far away places. But the coma prevented that from happening cleanly.

However, if we are totally realistic the zombie man Takayuki would have probably died if Mitsuki hadn't been taking care of him. So, Haruka would have found only a tombstone after waking up from her coma, and I doubt she would have been that happy when somebody would have eventually mentioned her Takayuki never learned to accept what happened and withered away.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-10-2007, 05:20 AM
The problem with an indefinite absence, like a coma, is the fact that it is indefinite. The high possibility that Haruka will never wake up ever again should be taken into consideration. Its like cheating on a dead person (since they will never wake up, interact, or do anything ever again), which is obviously not an issue of cheating at all.

TheBladeChild
Mon, 12-10-2007, 05:35 AM
If it were anyone else then I wouldnt dislike Mitsuki as much as I do. If she were some aquantance rather then Haruka's best friend then I wouldnt be so eh.....

David75
Mon, 12-10-2007, 06:21 AM
That "no clean solution" love triangle is the core idea of the show. So I guess we can argue to death to wether T or M were right or not.

What amazes me is that H can wake up from 3 years coma with seemingly no mental or physical dysfunctions. But again, that's what make the core idea work.

So my opinion is that M was right. But I understand those who think it's wrong and she cheated on her best friend.

Ryllharu
Mon, 12-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Now discussion on this series is something I haven't been involved in in a while. (Brings out the big guns)

I find it hard to hate anyone in the series. They all have perfectly legitimate reasons for doing what they do. I used to hate Mitsuki for a long time. Subsequent rewatchings changed my mind.

Mitsuki loved Takayuki because Mitsuki wanted to get close to him in order to make it easier for Haruka to confess. As a result, Mitsuki spent so much time with Takayuki that she fell in love with him. Takayuki also very clearly liked Mitsuki first, going as far to assume she was going to confess to him rather than Haruka. At this point, Haruka still only had an unrequited crush on him, but she understandably was too shy to ask him herself long ago.

Mitsuki felt obligated to fulfill her self-imposed promise to Haruka, but couldn't help herself and selfishly asked for a present on her birthday, leading to Haruka's accident. Was it a terrible thing? Yes. But Haruka's lack of courage pushed her into that in the first place. I hated her for keeping the ring, but it was the only thing that she had ever received from someone she loved, and she cherished it so deeply, she couldn't part with it, even as it became a reminder of her guilt.

Takayuki did fall in love with Haruka. At first, he wasn't sure whether he cared for her or not, but somehow, he fell deeply for her over time. He was incredibly hurt by her accident, blamed himself, and vowed to stand by her. Her family liked him a great deal too, but couldn't stand to see him so devastated by her condition. In order to prevent him from ruining his own life, having a tragic accident destroy two lives, they told him to go away.

Mitsuki wanted to comfort him in his grief, but stay at a bit of a distance. As he became more and more dependent upon her, she fell more and more in love with him, vice versa with Takayuki. I found it (after a lot of reflection) perfectly understandable for two people who were not very close to become so involved when comforting each other in a time of grief. Mitsuki just looks bad because of the incident with the ring. When Haruka wakes up, Mitsuki is incredibly torn. She wants to go see her best friend, but Akane makes her feel so much worse about comforting Takayuki.

In the end, Haruka realizes with her speech about the picture book that she fell behind. Selflessly, she unburdens all of them by withdrawing. Sad, but it was the right thing to do.

One of the most interesting characters is Akane. She gets pulled in the most directions all at once, and it ends up hurting her the most. She loved all three in the triangle a great deal, and the aftermath of the accident tore her apart. She became very attached to Takayuki when he was dating her sister (perhaps bordering on love of her own) and Mitsuki was her idol of idols. She was probably hurt the most by seeing Takayuki's breakdown and that twisted worse and worse until she lost it, flipped out at her sister, and put her back into a coma. Akane loved her sister, was very happy to see her back, but hated seeing her ruin Takayuki's life again. She could see he was slipping into the same way he was during the breakdown.

Her feelings about Mitsuki are the most important. Mitsuki was everything to her. A swimming goddess, her sister's best friend, someone to truly admire. Then she "stole" Takayuki from Haruka. Akane knew that in a coma, Haruka was ruining Takayuki's life, but she couldn't help but hate Mitsuki, who had gotten him out of all that.

Finally, just as a footnote, we've got AyuAyu. A tsundere in its purest form, Ayu surprisingly is quite fond of Takayuki, and though she outwardly hates him, respects him. He's the only person who is harsh with her, perhaps the only person to ever be harsh with her. So, when he's in trouble, she uses her economic clout to get him the book.

If you want to see a humorous version of Takayuki's inner thoughts, watch the second episode of the Akane Maniax OVA. A great imaginary mecha fight ensues.

EDIT: Minor details corrected.

Yukimura
Mon, 12-10-2007, 11:19 AM
I have to speak up since Iwon't let Mitsuki be dragged through the mud. Mitsuki was my favorite character by far in this series, even when she let me down by succumbing to the immense pressure she was under. Still, of all the characters in the show I feel like she made the least bad decisions for the group, while still trying to make the best decisions for herself. I don't assign blame to anyone because most of the decisions made in the show where made based purely on emotions and not on thinking things through so I can't hate anyone for being a douchebag.

Takayuki made the wrong choice when Haruka woke up, it would have been better for everyone (except maybe himself) if he had stayed with Mitsuki and let Haruka's parents tell her that he had to move on while she was in the coma. It would have been hard for him since he did care about her, but in the end it would have destroyed Mitsuki and she didn't deserve to be tossed away like that.

Haruka couldn't really make the choice to give him up since everyone lied to her, but you can't live in the past. She needed to accept reality or just go back into her coma or die. If she can't face reality why should everyone have to play along in her fantasy at the expense of their own happiness. Is it nice? Yes. Does it demonstrate a very deep love? Yes. But is it an ultimately stupid and doomed course of action, causing more aggregate pain to everyone involved then just forcing her to deal with life... YES!

In taking care of Takayuki, Mitsuki started to become dependent on him. Her dealing with him seemed to help her deal with her own problems and feelings about what had happened and she was able to move past them while she was with him. When he started to leave her for Haruka she started losing her resolve and headed right down the path Takayuki took after the accident. I can't see anything that would validate Takayuki sentencing Mitsuki to the exact fate that she rescued him from, it's just too wrong. He may have felt he owed Haruka for their short relationship and for not being there to keep her from being hit by that car, but I think he owed Mitsuki his life and sanity which I feel counts more.

I think everyone in this show made poor decisions based on their emotions, but in trying to look at it from an objective standpoint I think the final outcome of Haruka letting go and Takayuki staying with Tatsuki was the best course of action.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Your analysis of Haruka is unfair. Her situation is not her fault at all (unless being unable to dodge a fast-moving vehicle is a shortcoming). The issue of her going back to a coma if she receives the shock of being told the truth is not in her control either. She cant just "move on", since even the doctor recognizes the danger of telling her the truth. Its not that she was a wuss and cant accept facts, but her condition at that time is just too risky, being unstable both mentally and physically. Time would have gradually solved this problem. It just took a greater toll on everyone else than they expected.

Ryllharu
Mon, 12-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Takayuki made the wrong choice when Haruka woke up, it would have been better for everyone (except maybe himself) if he had stayed with Mitsuki and let Haruka's parents tell her that he had to move on while she was in the coma. It would have been hard for him since he did care about her, but in the end it would have destroyed Mitsuki and she didn't deserve to be tossed away like that.

Haruka couldn't really make the choice to give him up since everyone lied to her, but you can't live in the past. She needed to accept reality or just go back into her coma or die. If she can't face reality why should everyone have to play along in her fantasy at the expense of their own happiness. Is it nice? Yes. Does it demonstrate a very deep love? Yes. But is it an ultimately stupid and doomed course of action, causing more aggregate pain to everyone involved then just forcing her to deal with life... YES!
You are free to defend Mitsuki all you want (I didn't do a bad job just going over it objectively) but attacking Haruka is not the way to defend Mitsuki.

There wasn't a choice for Takayuki. He did genuinely love both girls, which is why he's often attacked as wishy-washy. He liked Mitsuki first, loved Haruka first, and loved Mitsuki later. He's not so cruel a person to leave Haruka alone, thinking she woke up days after the accident. The doctor's analysis was correct, she needed to be eased back into the present. Akane proved that when she broke down from all the pressure.

Mitsuki didn't get tossed aside. Akane forced her away. She refused to let her anywhere near Haruka after "what she did" and that's what allowed Takayuki to so easily fall back to Haruka. It forced them to separate.

In the end, Haruka knew that from the start. The picture book was one of her favorite stories, and she recognized that she had become one of the roles immediately after she woke up the second time. She had become trapped in the past, and came to terms relatively quickly. Well, not so fast if you watch the Akane Maniax OVA (which takes place in between the end of the series and its epilogue during the final credits). She knew that she couldn't keep Takayuki captive, it wasn't fair to anyone. Haruka made the selfless decision to let him go, all on her own.

The doctors made the correct decision to keep Haruka uninformed. They were right. Luckily, Haruka came back out of it again, and reached the appropriate conclusion quickly.

Unlike School Days where no one was innocent, KgNE has characters with consistently good intentions. Akane feels awful at being so cruel to Mitsuki, her idol. Misguided anger is the only thing that lets her pull it off. Akane prevents Mitsuki from overcoming her guilt at indirectly injuring Haruka. Why? She doesn't want to see her sister hurt by Takayuki's change of heart. Takayuki feels the same, and that's why he goes back to Haruka. Mitsuki took the opportunity to comfort Takayuki because she didn't want to see him kill himself.

If she had wanted to, Mitsuki could have stolen Takayuki back in high school. She didn't have to let Haruka confess first. She could have coldly turned her back on Haruka long ago, and confessed to him. It would have worked, he liked her too. Akane could have never forgiven Mitsuki, but she proudly proclaims her to be her idol during the epilogue. Haruka didn't have to let Takayuki move on. She could have clung to him even after she woke the second time.

Yukimura
Mon, 12-10-2007, 01:29 PM
I understand it is unfair but I don't mean to blame her personally for her condition. However her condition created a similar situation as what would have been created if she was an ordinary girl who abruptly went away from her bf for three years without a word and then came back and became obsessively clingy to the guy as if nothing had been changed between them by her three year absence. Such a girl would cause strife in the lives of all the people around her. In that situation I would say the girl was being selfish and needed to accept that time had moved on while she was away and she had lost the right to pursue the relationship with her old boyfriend.

In Haruka's case the parameters of the situation are very similar, yet it's completely not her fault that she acts the way she does. There's no malicious intent, which means instead of hating her for being a weak willed clinger, I pity her for being a weak-willed, mentally unstable clinger. However, I don't think the proper course of action changes. The fact that she might not have been able to handle the situation does not make it 'right' for her to continue to disrupt the lives of all the people left behind. It's so much more tragic in Haruka's case, since she's so innocent, yet I still feel the burden of responsibility falls on her. I agonized over this when I watch the series because life was so unfair to Haruka, forcing her into the situation she was in, but still, she was in that situation and as hard as it must have been I think she took the only proper path.

EDIT: @ Ryllharu: It wasn't my intent to attack Haruka to defend Mitsuki, it was my intent to lay the responsibility of controlling the outcome of the situation on her and point out what I think the best choice she could make for everyone involved was. I can't attack Haruka because she got the shit kicked out of her by life and it sucks balls, but I don't let the amount of shit that has been kicked out of someone absolve them of responsibilities.

If Akane never snapped, Haruka could have held on to Takayuki for God only knows how long unwittingly destroying Mitsuki and increasingly burdening Akane and her parents. I think Takayuki would have stood by her indefinitely out of both duty and the remains of his love. If this had continued eventually my pity would crumble and I would begin to feel anger (just like Akane did). I know it wasn't Haruka's intent to cause all this pain but the results are what they are.

MORE EDIT: Where do you all think Akane fits in here? By my thought process the terrible thing she did to Haruka was for the greater good, but it was still a terrible thing to do. Supposedly it could have killed Haruka, but instead it forced the situation into a state where it could more easily be resolved. If not for Akane I have little doubt I would have eventually come to hate Haruka even knowing how unfair it was to her.

Ryllharu
Mon, 12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
You can't blame Haruka for anything. She doesn't even know she's a "weak-willed, mentally unstable clinger." To her, it's only been a week. That's what the doctors tell her anyway. She has no idea it's been three years.

If they had told her right away, and she didn't fall back into a coma, I believe she'd come to the exact same conclusion she did at the end of the series. She would let him go. That's the kind of character she is.

Granted, it seems to take her another 2-3 years to finally get over losing Takayuki to the flow of time, but she knows it was the right thing to do.
------------------------------

I wonder what will happen to Mitsuki in the alternate ending...She's not quite as selfless as Haruka, right now I can't see a good ending for her at all.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-10-2007, 01:40 PM
@Yuki - Being innocent means that you have no burden of responsibility. She didnt know she was disrupting their lives, and had no intention to do so in the least bit. She couldnt have done anything even if she wanted to.

Its not even about her being pitiful, or getting the short end of the stick. I really dont understand how the responsibility can fall on her, unless you are going to say that her very existence/life is wrong, which is very very contentious.

TheBladeChild
Mon, 12-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Dang i never imagined that this thread would grow so quickly. Anyway all I want from this season is for her to have some sort of peace and for everyone not to have their lives so screwed up.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-10-2007, 01:46 PM
I guess no one really expected a second season (a real one), and now that it is coming all the pent up feelings about the show simply resurfaced.

Ryllharu
Mon, 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM
We've already exceeded the number of posts in the old thread.

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=12364

I see I wrote an equally long-ass post in there as well. Interesting to see what I thought of the series then compared to now. At least I remembered the details a little more clearly. I've got no exams today, so I'll probably spend some time rewatching the series once more.

Yukimura
Mon, 12-10-2007, 06:24 PM
You can't blame Haruka for anything. She doesn't even know she's a "weak-willed, mentally unstable clinger." To her, it's only been a week. That's what the doctors tell her anyway. She has no idea it's been three years.

@Yuki - Being innocent means that you have no burden of responsibility. She didnt know she was disrupting their lives, and had no intention to do so in the least bit. She couldnt have done anything even if she wanted to.

I must disagree with you two because of my own personal beliefs about blame and responsibility. I think we're going to start going down the path of the School Days thread soon, but I'm not MFauli so I think we can discuss this civilly.

After having Oedipus rammed into my conscious back in high school I felt he got a raw deal. He didn't know, he couldn't have known, and it shouldn't have been held against him yet he did commit a crime, and when he found out he manned up and faced the consequences (most people wouldn't rip out their own eyes, but hey Oedipus was pimp like that). Anyway, by the same logic I can't brush aside the fact that Haruka, while she didn't know what she was doing and couldn't really do anything else, was still hurting people left and right. Though she was completely ignorant of this I feel she must still bear the blame of committing the 'crime' of hurting the people around her.

The situation is complicated greatly by the catch-22 that if any of her loved ones had told that she was hurting them it would have hurt her which would have in turn hurt them. The whole cast chose to accept the pain Haruka caused them in order to spare her (and potentially themselves) from suffering even more pain. That was their choice to make and I can see how it . The whole situation was basically a perpetual pain machine with the off switch being Haruka finding out that she was 3 years in the future and Takayuki was with Mitsuki.

To explain how my blame system works I'll make a crime analogy. There are some crimes where the victim has to press charges for the perpetrator to be tried and punished, and there are some where it doesn't matter if the victim doesn't want press charges the perp will still be tried. I see the pain that Haruka caused as the latter type. To me, her ignorance and mental frailty are not an absolution of the blame she is be due for hurting others, because hurting others is 'wrong', and if you do something is 'wrong' you are a wrongdoer.

I don't think either of you are incorrect in presenting a defense based on her circumstances because I think you both see what happened as something that can be forgiven completely based on the circumstances. But to me a crime is a crime and a criminal is any person who commits any crime, the only place circumstances would come into play for me would be in the assignment of punishments.

While I believe causing someone pain gives you the blame for that pain no matter the circumstances I also believe that only the intent to cause pain or willful negligence that leads to pain warrants some sort of penance being owed.

If I were judging the cast I would find them all guilty of causing undue pain for somone else, but the only person who I wouldn't think owed a penance to anyone would be Haruka
I don't think that my belief system is fair nor do I think everyone else should have this same belief system (that would actually be pretty terrible), but I believe it is the 'right' way to deal with accountability, as laid down by the old white people who decided what 'right' and 'wrong' meant a long time ago.

If you see the pain Haruka caused as something that you can't get away with no matter what the circumstances then she holds blame for the consequences of her own condition, even though it was completely out of her control. If you see the pain Haruka caused as something that was a product of a situation and don't assign blame without intent/knowledge then she deserves no blame. It all depends on personal values.

Ryllharu
Mon, 12-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Have you seen Akane Maniax, Yuki?

Haruka suffered pretty badly as far as I'm concerned, as did Akane. Haruka lost the one she loved, came to the realization that her accident, which wasn't even her fault, ruined 3 lives (Takayuki's, Mitsuki's, and to a less extent, Akane's) and had to deal with the knowledge of that for another 2-4 years. We see her in the KgNE epilogue happy (if a little sad still) but certainly functional. The Akane Maniax OVA takes place in between and shows a rather different picture. She sits in the dark, clutching the picture book, alone.

If anyone is to blame for all the tragedy of the series, it is of course, Mitsuki. Moreover, she knows it, and paid a huge price for it.

Mitsuki delayed Takayuki in order to have him give her a "birthday present." A ring is far more symbolic than a simple birthday present to a friend, especially considering what finger she puts it on. Furthermore, she hesitates just a little when she tells him it is her birthday, so we can't even be sure she's truthful about that.

Mitsuki had to deal with all that guilt. She quit swimming (and as a result, angering Akane further) and never went to college, where a she would have gotten a free ride on a sports scholarship. She became a simple OL, and had to deal with everything that she knows she was the cause of. That's part of the reason she goes to comfort Takayuki. Then, even though she knows she liked him for a long time, Mitsuki still feels awful for "stealing" her best friend's boyfriend. All this guilt is magnified when Haruka wakes up, and Mitsuki eventually breaks down.

Yukimura
Mon, 12-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Lol, no I haven't and after reading all that I don't think I would want to. It sounds like an even bigger pile of depression than KgNE. I think everybody in the story got bent over and reamed in the ass something fierce, which is why I found it so moving. When the shit hits the fan it really hits the fan, and it screws over everyone involved, much like a real life scenario would.

What I really liked about Mitsuki is that she's able to deal with it. She does show a penchant for distracting herself, but she is at least able to live a productive life even with all the guilt somewhere in her heart. Takayuki, I felt, could have just blamed Mitsuki for delaying him, turned his sorrow into anger, and used that to get him through the loss without turning into a Hikkikomori. In the end he would probably still be an empty shell of a person, but at least with anger at Mitsuki replacing sorrow and guilt he might have been able to function without her. Though I think this scenario could still lead to Takayuki and Mitsuki together after he realizes he can't really hold it against her that Haruka got hit by a car and sees how she is an empty shell of a person thanks to her suppression of all her feelings.

On a random note, do they ever mention anything about the person who hit Haruka? I hope that person at least paid for the medical bills or something.

Ryllharu
Mon, 12-10-2007, 08:27 PM
I don't think we watched the same series. (Didn't want to say it but after that, I have to)

Mitsuki couldn't deal with it at all. That's why she has that awful scene where she's about to get raped by some random guy after drinking so much, but she just starts laughing and crying at the same time outside a love hotel.

Then Shinji has sex with her after saving her. (ref. eps 10 and 11)

And Akane Maniax is a comedy. The main character of the animated version has no appearance in any of the games, is a parody of sports/mecha lead characters, and only serves to get Akane out of her depression. Haruka appears for all of 2 minutes, if that.

Yukimura
Mon, 12-10-2007, 08:38 PM
When it all started to go to crap and she was falling apart I already liked her. I started liking her from what I saw of her right after the time skip before Haruka woke up and in the flashbacks when she was helping Takayuki not die. She certainly had her shit more together than he did, though I suspect a good deal of that was "faking it till you make it". I liked the flash back Mitsuki, and so I could empathize more with the fucked up Mitsuki because she basically got abandoned by her primary support mechanism at the same time that she needed him the most due to the weight of all the shit catching up to her at the same time.

In a way I guess she got the same deal Haruka would have gotten if Takayuki never came back to play lie land with her.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Believe it or not, I actually to a certain extent agree with your sense of values. I also believe that ignorant people who cause harm and pain to others deserve to be held responsible for it even if they didnt know it was happening (the law calls this negligence). But that is only because if they had been smarter such pain would have been avoided, in a sense tilting the balance of accountability towards their shortcoming.

Haruka's case was clearly different as you stated, which makes it impossible for me to put blame on her. She wasnt ignorant, she was innocent. There's a big difference. She couldnt have known, and she couldnt have done anything to stop it, even if she had been a genius or a zen master.

Your argument is clearly bordering on blaming her very existence at that point as wrong and that she should be held accountable, not for her actions or choices, but for simply being herself. I do indeed agree that it is a matter of personal beliefs. I also think that there is no right or wrong in opinion, just a better or worse one.

Kraco
Tue, 12-11-2007, 03:23 AM
Well, I always thought the doctors were unrealistic anyway in the way they wanted to keep her in the dark. It was a textbook method that works only under perfect circumstances, which don't exist in the real world as was illustrated by this series. The patient could take it but the others couldn't. However, it wouldn't even have started without the others agreeing to it, which was pretty much a question of common sense not requiring special knowledge, making the doctors free of guilt.

In short, I don't think Haruka was to blame because she wasn't free to make her own decision as long as she was fed false information by the others. Kind of like if somebody secretly sabotages the brakes of your car during night and in the morning you cause a traffic accident because you couldn't stop. It could be said it's your car and you should know whether it works or not and if it doesn't, don't drive it. But at the same time your knowledge was that it works and it didn't only because somebody damaged it.

In this particular case the others themselves took out the brakes of Haruka's car and she then crashed into their cars... Who do you blame?

shinta|hikari
Tue, 12-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Yup, yup. Though the final analogy of Haruka and the car is kind of stretching it. :)

Yukimura
Tue, 12-11-2007, 11:21 AM
I also think that there is no right or wrong in opinion, just a better or worse one.

What is your criterion for judging one opinion better or worse than another?

Anyway, I do believe the state of her existence 'wrong', even though it was through no fault of her own that she was in such a state. If she had awakened and started spontaneously infecting people with a deadly airborne virus I would be in the front of the line advocating she be either isolated completely or killed to remove the threat she represented (unless of course she was in my family in which case I probably wouldn't behave rationally). This is a much more extreme example but to me the same logic applies.

I am however inclined to agree with Kraco now. It occurred to me that though she was around the age where personal responsibility kicks in, Haruka was still at the mental level of a minor the whole time she was being lied to. I had always thought of her as an adult who had a social imperative to bear responsibility for her actions. But it's easier to relieve her of that responsibility remembering that she was basically a teenager and thus her parents were the ones ultimately responsible for her.

They were essentially doomed to make a harmful decision either way though. Either hurt Haruka by telling her the truth before she was ready, or tear up their own lives and the lives of Akane and Takayuki to give Haruka the time she needed to recover.

animus
Tue, 12-11-2007, 12:08 PM
TBH, if I happened to have a wife/girlfriend I loved dearly and I either died or went into a coma for an extremely long time, I'd rather her be with my best friend. A friend that has been with you thick and thin, that has always been there for you and someone you trust will treat your lover equal or better than you can.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 12-11-2007, 01:36 PM
@Yuki - Criterion for judging the quality of an opinion is how well you can defend it, and if it makes sense to people who listen to it. If it doesnt stand up to criticism, then thats that.

Killing that virus spreading person isnt because she is at fault, but because you have no choice. It isnt because she is"wrong" but rather because you dont want to die that you choose to kill her.

EDIT: I realize I dont really care, thus the edit.

Kraco
Tue, 12-11-2007, 02:47 PM
A good point, Animus. I have to agree. It would suck to wake up and find out she's taken by another (anybody), but it'd also be quite unreasonable and uber selfish to expect a person to wait forever, and certainly would prove you aren't thinking what's best for that person but only what you want yourself. That's something only the villains of stories always do.

David75
Tue, 12-11-2007, 04:39 PM
It's true that having the love of your life living with a scum when you wake up may be hard to accept... nice thought animus.

Bread-sama
Wed, 12-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Meh... I thought it was gonna be a full season 2.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Watched the raw.

Do not watch this unless you are an absolute Haruka lover, was what I thought until the last minute of the episode. I suggest for everyone who has watched KGNE to give it a try. Might be an interesting ride depending on the next episode.

Ryllharu
Sat, 12-22-2007, 07:52 AM
[Bakawolf-m.3.3.w] KgNE Next Season eps 1 (http://m.3.3.w.fansub-torrents.com/%5BBakaWolf-m.3.3.w%5D%20Kimi%20ga%20Nozomu%20Eien%20OVA%20%7E Next%20Season%7E%2001%20%5BC1F4B1C5%5D.avi.torrent )

My biggest complaint is that the story jumps so far to create a Haruka epilogue. If you're not at least familiar with the ero-game's arcs, you'll be pretty confused. A quick synopsis for any who need it:

Story is identical to the anime, up through the part where Haruka falls back into a coma and Mitsuki has sex with Shinji while she's drunk. The difference is that Mitsuki visits Haruka and leaves the ring that represents her guilt and the actual cause of the entire mess. She then leaves. The ring ultimately ends up on Haruka's finger

Here, Mitsuki has kept the ring for now, but has still run away.

More of a side note than anything, which they never mentioned it in either series, but the tiny nurse died from the terminal illness that was keeping her short. The other nurse did somewhat allude to her condition in the original series, but they skipped over the rest of the issue.
--------------------------------------------------

The issue so far should be clear. Haruka still feels that she's dragging everyone down with her recovery. Akane's hobbies are suffering, Takayuki does nothing but care for her, and everyone else dotes on her a little as well. It's the same thing that happened in the original ending, only Mitsuki fled out of guilt.

It hurts her, but Haruka was doing the right thing by breaking up with Takayuki at the end of the episode. Yes, it's his own choice to dote on her, but Haruka still feels awful for ruining the lives of everyone.

I think this is off to a good start. I would like a little more time with Akane maybe, but she already had her own OVA.

Yukimura
Sat, 12-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Oh thank God. I made it 8:13 in before I became fed up thinking about how this was going to play out with Haruka dragging everyone down and decided to see if anyone posted a synopsis. With your revelation about the ending I think I can stand to watch the rest.

As a Mitsuki fan for life the scene at the beginning hurt especially bad.

EDIT: Well after pretending Mitsuki is not a viable solution to this equation I must say I'm a bit skeptical about the turn of events at the end of the episode. I too think it would be better if Takayuki didn't devote his every waking moment to Haruka just on principle, but I don't see them not ending up together.

Haruka never struck me as particularly hardy mentally, and Takayuki strikes me as a high level clinger. There's little doubt in my mind that he will simply keep pursuing her through the next ep. She is not in a mental state to keep having her desires pressed against over and over so she will probalbe end up giving in and staying with him, especially when she sees him start destroying himself without her.

Board of Command
Mon, 06-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Episode 2 is out by Bakawolf&m33w, but I don't have a torrent link. I got it from IRC.

Anyway, I'd just like to say that I'm completely at a loss for words here. As an OVA, this episode is completely garbage. For the first 5 minutes or so, I thought I downloaded the wrong file because it was pretty much identical to episode 1. I then skipped through the rest of the episode and found that it was indeed a different episode. They simply recapped episode 1 using episode 2. There's about 30 seconds of new footage.

wtf is this shit?

David75
Tue, 06-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Episode 2 is out by Bakawolf&m33w, but I don't have a torrent link. I got it from IRC.

Anyway, I'd just like to say that I'm completely at a loss for words here. As an OVA, this episode is completely garbage. For the first 5 minutes or so, I thought I downloaded the wrong file because it was pretty much identical to episode 1. I then skipped through the rest of the episode and found that it was indeed a different episode. They simply recapped episode 1 using episode 2. There's about 30 seconds of new footage.

wtf is this shit?

I planned on waiting for all eps to be released before watching anything from it.

I do hope it's a mistake or something... because they can't kill that show!

Yukimura
Tue, 06-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Lol this came out in March.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien OVA ~Next Season~ - 02 (H.264) - [BakaWolf-m.3.3.w] (http://tracker.anirena.com/download2.php?id=5336)

Basically Mitsuki explains the original series from her perspective (which was an interesting perspective) and some rude, jealous girl from the high school times listens to her. Then the rude jealous girl decides to stop being rude and jealous and says some useful stuff. The useful stuff at the end seemed worth sitting through the summary for me, though I will admit it was difficult to come to the decision it was worth it.

Board of Command
Tue, 06-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Oh wait... I already saw episode 2 back in March. That's why it felt like a huge recap...

Damn I'm trippin' out.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-10-2009, 11:04 PM
The Heart-wrenching(?) Finale.

[m.3.3.w] Kimi ga Nozomu Eien OVA ~Next Season~ 04 - Final (H.264) (http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5Bm.3.3.w%5D%20Kimi%20ga%20Nozomu%20Eien%20OVA%20 ~Next%20Season~%2004%20-%20Final%20(H.264)%20%5B5EE905CC%5D.mkv.torrent)
[m.3.3.w] Kimi ga Nozomu Eien OVA ~Next Season~ 04 - Final (Xvid) (http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5Bm.3.3.w%5D%20Kimi%20ga%20Nozomu%20Eien%20OVA%20 ~Next%20Season~%2004%20-%20Final%20%5B959D8AAC%5D.avi.torrent)

EDIT: Content heavy below.
---------------------------------------------

I found this really hard to watch.

It's been nearly 5 years since I watched the original series the last time, and quite frankly, I have next to no emtional attachment to any of these characters. It was hard to care about Haruka's reservations about still being in the past, her mother's worries, and Akane's guilt about following her own dreams. The scene at the train station was also unbearably lame. What the hell kind of bystander claps at that kind of situation? Where you've got one girl freaking out every time a car drives by, and another psycho going into a panic state because he didn't see his girlfriend the very second he stepped off the train. Narumi didn't even get 20 feet from the station before he starts yelling for her. Try and look maybe?

I have to say, this ending really sucks compared to the original.

Sure, Narumi and Haruka are fine, Akane is okay, but where does Mitsuki stand? She's alone, no job, living with a person who pretty much despises her. I can't help but forsee her untimely death, from alcohol poisoning. At least the original ending had Haruka (able to deal with her losses and move on with her life) knowing she'd be hurt, but able to survive, while two very broken people were able to heal each other's emotional scars.

Yukimura
Sun, 01-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Well I went into this remake expecting to hate it and it didn't disappoint. Around a third of the way through the last ep I started to really look forward to deleting all four eps. I felt like there was just too much talking and not enough actions taken by people. For the first two eps my empathy for Mitsuki and my pity for Takayuki managed to carry me through and make their situations meaningful to me but eps 3 and 4 were all about Haruka and Akane. Considering how detached I have always been from Haruka and how loosely attached I am to Akane all their talk just didn't hold my attention as well. I'm glad that the Haruka fans got to see the ending they wanted though but I won't feel bad about forgetting about this OVA over the course of the next week or two.

David75
Mon, 01-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Well I went into this remake expecting to hate it and it didn't disappoint. Around a third of the way through the last ep I started to really look forward to deleting all four eps. I felt like there was just too much talking and not enough actions taken by people. For the first two eps my empathy for Mitsuki and my pity for Takayuki managed to carry me through and make their situations meaningful to me but eps 3 and 4 were all about Haruka and Akane. Considering how detached I have always been from Haruka and how loosely attached I am to Akane all their talk just didn't hold my attention as well. I'm glad that the Haruka fans got to see the ending they wanted though but I won't feel bad about forgetting about this OVA over the course of the next week or two.

I feel the same, with a bit of anger for the wait that has been so long for just that.
I would have liked to have a little more Mitsuki (nothing in that ep...) and Takayuki was almost totally absent too, which is very strange.

All in all, those OVAs hold together and tell about a happy ending, but the first end was so much stronger.
I guess that if they had flipped both ends, you'd have rage on the internets about how it's immoral to have such a last end with Mitsuki, but really I would have loved it.

The problem with that last ep is that they were not able to cope with the greatness they accidently created in the first series... It was ok, but just ok.
There's so much about character development they forgot to show that it pains me too (anime wise)