PDA

View Full Version : AdobeUpdater problem

David75
Fri, 11-16-2007, 04:53 AM
On 2 of my many comps, AdobeUpdater.exe is a major problem.
This process launches with any adobe soft: mainly reader.
Then it goes 100% CPU and is totally unkillable (process kill, tree kill, APT etc...)
The only way of getting rid of this guy is shuting down the comp and then remove any trace of this process in the system before opening any adobe soft.

Do you know this problem and is there a cure better than just erasing the thing?
I've tried googling the problem, but had no real solution or good thread about it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Edit: Funny how as of yet I'm trying alternative pdf readers. As far as I know Adobe does not communicate on this problem appearing with reader 8...

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Have you updated to 8.1? I haven't had any problems with it, save for one thing. When you print either "all odd pages" or "all even pages" of a pdf file that has and odd number of pages, you'll miss the last odd page, and have a double last even page. But this problem was absent in number 8.0. Never had the problem you're describing. Have you tried contacting Adobe? Are you saying that there's no such problem listed on Adobe's support site, or that they say there's no such problem (well, prior to your case.) Try uninstalling it and downloading the latest version. That sometimes works. My brother has a case where upon exit, Oblivion would freeze, and later pop up with an error. I had that with F.E.A.R. Updating to the latest version, and un/reinstalling seemed to help both cases.

btw, what other pdf readers are out there?

edit: "unkillable" you say...Have you tried Process Explorer? Windows Task Manager isn't exactly the best process monitoring tool around.

David75
Wed, 11-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Well as of yet I use foxit reader that seems ok.
I loads quite fast and I've had no compatibility trouble as of yet.

Regarding the AdobeUpdater problem, it seems that Adobe does not reply.
I've read on some firewall support forums that this prog opens a lot of connections in parallel, which causes the problem.

When I used it, I had to erase or at least rename the updater exe so that it's not launched each time I use reader 8.1 (yest last version...)

The task is totally unkillable. I used many software solutions... to no avail.
the only way is shuting down the comp.

So for now I use another solution (foxit) and will see if next release is still a problem.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Sorry that I can't be of more help. I've never had this problem. If foxit works fine for you, then the most painless option is to wait for the next release.

If you have time on your hands, I'd still give that complete uninstall, delete all files, then redownload the latest .exe and reinstall a go. Sometimes it can be just a stuffed up file, reg entry or a completely lost file. Usually it will give error warnings, but sometimes, it just uses cpu forever.