PDA

View Full Version : Game: Super Mario Galaxy

RedX1z
Wed, 11-14-2007, 02:14 AM
This game was just released today, and it's actually pretty good.

Anyone got their hands on this game today or planning to at all? The game is a mix of the old -n- new, from Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Sunshine. The Wii-mote control set up is nearly perfect, if not perfect, and nothing goes to waste. It's Mario, what more can anyone say?

Some Videos.. (http://kotaku.com/gaming/mmmm%2C-chocolate/super-mario-galaxies-videos-309794.php)

Abdula
Wed, 11-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Was interested in this game, if the controls are good I'll try and get my hands on a copy but I don't play video games much and with the frenzy over 360 and the abundance of good games it has, the Wii and this game especially has really gone under the radar even is more interested in Brawl, I haven't even seen a commercial for this game yet there are commercials for Mario and Sonic at the Olympics:rolleyes: to get back on topic, I'm not a fan of Mario games but I can't see how it can go wrong if its a mix of Sunshine and 64 besides I need a light relaxing game to play so I'll try and snag a copy from someone this weekend.

Assertn
Wed, 11-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm enjoying it. In fact I just got home and I'm gonna play some more now.

Carnage
Wed, 11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
I want to get it for the holidays. I've heard good things about it.

Assertn
Thu, 11-15-2007, 03:47 AM
33 stars so far....

RedX1z
Thu, 11-15-2007, 10:59 PM
That's rather impressive.

I only have 28 stars at the moment, and I've probably spent more time than anyone. Only 92 more stars to go..

Assertn
Fri, 11-16-2007, 01:01 AM
I think I'm at about 44 now.

There's just too much stuff to do in that game

RyougaZell
Sun, 11-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Would the game be enjoyable for someone who hasn't touched a Mario game since Super Mario World on the SNES?

RedX1z
Sun, 11-18-2007, 03:47 PM
It's a little difficult to say, since basically the mechanics of the game are no where near similar to the Super Mario World for the SNES. It's somewhat an entirely new experience for someone who hasn't touched the recent titles up to this point, but it should be pretty fun and a good gamin' experience for new comers and old comers. So, you should pick up a copy or at least rent it.

Just reached 44 a few hours ago.

Assertn
Sun, 11-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Oh, I beat the game a few days ago. I think I'm in the 70s now though.

RyougaZell, if there was any reason to not play a newer game within a series (the two of which I could imagine being plot or nostalgia oriented), it wouldn't apply to Mario Galaxy.

There's plenty of nostalgic references to earlier games, but they don't serve any more purpose than to just be fun little visual/audible elements.

RyougaZell
Sun, 11-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I never played Mario 64 or Sunshine because I didn't buy a N64 nor a GameCube. But I do own a Wii.

The thing is that I haven't played a game like this since the SNES, and have sticked to RPG, Survival Horror and somewhat fighting games.

I'll think about it. It looks good, but I somewhat have too many games unplayed currently.

Assertn
Sun, 11-18-2007, 05:50 PM
You can always buy Mario 64 off the wii shop :]

Mario 64 is still the most unique experience I've ever had with a video game. But I'm sure that sentiment wouldn't have the same effect nowadays, since it was the notion of fully immersive, 3D environments that gave it a lot of appeal back in the days when the only competitors were games like.....Croc....and Kid Chameleon(?)

The great thing about Mario Galaxy is that it holds true to a LOT of the original gameplay elements of Mario 64.

BioAlien
Sun, 11-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, I rented the game for 2 weeks, only have 57 stars so far, I'm at the toybox galaxy.. I hate it. Should have the game finished in about.. 2 days or so. (Not 100% completed, but main story done at least)

Does anyone know where the hell Luigi is on the third picture?
(He's climbing on a Tree of some sort.. there's a fountain behind him.. I know this is not much..)

Assertn
Sun, 11-18-2007, 08:44 PM
I'll PM it to you

RedX1z
Mon, 11-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Toybox Galaxy was awesome or maybe I just liked the remixed theme too much.

AssertnFailure: Send me that PM as well, because I don't have a clue either. Thanks in advance.

Mr Squiggles
Mon, 11-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Hmmm, so I take it from the general enthusiasm in the posts that this game is worth getting, am I right? Is it "super mega awesome pop-tarts marshmellowery goodness" good, or just pretty good?

My poor wallet :(

Abdula
Mon, 11-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Its Mario, its not a must have game and I won't consider it worth getting especially if you're short on cash, its just a fun game but that is just my opinion.

Assertn
Tue, 11-20-2007, 03:54 AM
Its Mario, its not a must have game and I won't consider it worth getting especially if you're short on cash, its just a fun game but that is just my opinion.
Most certainly is just your opinion. Let's see what professional game reviewers have to say about it....

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/915692.asp

Hmm....98% average score after 53 reviews....

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp?rankings=y

Hmm....beat the previous all-time 1st place game of all platforms, which was OOT?
Yeah...it is just a fun game.

Turkish-S
Tue, 11-20-2007, 06:04 AM
Anyone heard about the U R MR GAY ?? And do you think this shit is on purpose?
(and could someone calculate the chances for it, if it was an accidant..?)

LaZie
Tue, 11-20-2007, 11:25 AM
I think it was just the person who did the logo playing tricks on us or Nintendo is calling all Wii owners gay. :p

Abdula
Tue, 11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Wow Assertn! You certainly take your Mario games seriously. I don't care about a trumped up rating its just a Mario game, hardly consider it a necessity.

RedX1z
Tue, 11-20-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't see why everyone should be makin' a big deal of all this. The reviews are just opinions themselves, hell, most of those people could just be hardcore Nintendo fanboys trying to make the system itself looks superior to the others. Enjoy it or don't, it's that simple.

Super Mario Galaxy is a good game, and no where near bad, leave it at that.

BOT: Tryin' to collect everything now in order to unlock Super Luigi Galaxy.

Assertn
Tue, 11-20-2007, 04:02 PM
I don't see why everyone should be makin' a big deal of all this. The reviews are just opinions themselves, hell, most of those people could just be hardcore Nintendo fanboys trying to make the system itself looks superior to the others. Enjoy it or don't, it's that simple.
Reviews carry their weight in exactly the situations where someone asks "what do you think of this game?" If someone wants to know what other people think, then people who do it for a living will probably give the most reliable and comprehensive response.

Anyway, I was drunk when I posted that.
However, Abdula, I can't help but detect a trend of bitterness and resentment from your posts these days.

Carnage
Tue, 11-20-2007, 06:14 PM
I just started and I have 4 stars :\ .

Its great so far, but better than OoT? Thats pretty hard for me to believe :(

I'll see I guess.

Assertn
Wed, 11-21-2007, 11:58 PM
woo......i have like.....87 stars now....
Holy shit......some of these are hard....

The white comet for melty molten galaxy was a real bitch, but...
the toy galaxy's purple comet is definitely the hardest one by far. Ended up losing all my lives and now I have to wait for it to show up again :(

RyougaZell
Thu, 11-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Im still debating whether to buy this or not...
I have until the end of month to decide... one of my older brothers and my mother are going to McAllen to check on his future wife wedding dress... already decided to ask for RE: Umbrella Chronicles, FFT Lions War, FFXII Revenant Wings and Disgaea PSP... but still debating about Mario Galaxy...

BioAlien
Thu, 11-22-2007, 09:33 PM
I finished the game in less than a week(Not 100%, but still finished).
I would say, it's worth buying if you plan on getting all the stars and if you want a challenge, but if you are like me, and just play a game until you finish it and then almost never touch it again, just rent it.

(Done with 75 stars)

Assertn
Fri, 11-23-2007, 05:32 AM
You can beat the game even with less than half of it completed. However, to stop there though, you'd be missing out on so much content, that you could barely even consider the game beaten.

RyougaZell
Fri, 11-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Ok... Im sold. I'll buy it.
Will talk about it when I get my hands on it... in december.

I wont pay 750 pesos (70+dlls) here in Mexico for it.

Assertn
Sat, 11-24-2007, 05:21 AM
Man....there's seriously no end to this game if you're trying to get everything

I just got all the stars and now.....something else has just been unlocked for me to beat xd

Carnage
Sat, 11-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Wait you don't need to get all the stars? Oh well :)

I don't know about you guys but Im going to milk all I can out of this game.

Assertn
Sat, 11-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Wait you don't need to get all the stars? Oh well :)

I don't know about you guys but I'm going to milk all I can out of this game.
You'll probably end up sinking 30-40 hours into this game then :]

RyougaZell
Sat, 12-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Started it yesterday.
13 stars so far.

EDIT:

37 currently.