PDA

View Full Version : TV: The Boondocks

kaosoner
Thu, 11-24-2005, 10:36 PM
anyone seen the boondocks on adultswim?

This is actually a TV show based on an american comic strip, not Anime. Moved to Movies and TV.

GotWoot Moderator

Assertn
Fri, 11-25-2005, 03:16 PM
yeah, i saw a little of it. It's just as race-oriented as I expected it would be.

masamuneehs
Sat, 11-26-2005, 05:19 PM
I actually give this show some props. It's not all that bad and while it is race-oriented I don't find it terribly offensive (though I'm sure they'll cross the line when they need to get higher ratings...)

The one thing that bothers me about this show is that I sometimes feel that they get different people to write the side-characters and occasionaly fail to have a smooth dynamic between the animation and the character's speech/SFX/music. This was particularly evident to me in the "Guess Hoe's Coming to Dinner" episode, where side-characters comments seemed totally unrealistic and we got several seconds of characters staring at each other/standing around while no sound/talking was going on. On the other hand they sometimes cut to an awkward angle or still and then have characters speak, making me get the feeling that there's some communications problems between the animators and the writers.

Anyhow, I'm still watching this show on Sunday night's on Cartoon Network's AdultSwim.

EDIT:

Originally posted by: The Heretic Azazel

Originally posted by: masamuneehs
I actually give this show some props. It's not all that bad and while it is race-oriented I don't find it terribly offensive

It's not that race-oriented humor is offensive, it's just that it's not funny.

Race-oriented humor can be funny. References include: South Park, Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, half of Mel Brook's movies, anything with Dave Chapelle, Chris Rock, Jackie Chan, Carlos Mencia, George Lopez, and about 3/4 of all stand-up comedians.

Not everyone might find all various kinds of race-oriented humor to be funny but that's just a matter of personal taste. Like almost everything else it depends on personal taste, upbringing and opinion.

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 11-26-2005, 05:20 PM
I actually give this show some props. It's not all that bad and while it is race-oriented I don't find it terribly offensive

It's not that race-oriented humor is offensive, it's just that it's not funny.

Uchiha Barles
Sat, 11-26-2005, 11:26 PM
I've seen a couple of the episodes that came out. In one of the episodes there was this rich guy that the grandfather was trying to befriend. His son was fucking hillarious. I'm gonna start looking for torrents to dl the eps I missed.

Paulyboy
Sat, 11-26-2005, 11:58 PM
Yah, I like the show. Everyone has to watch the episode of the R.Kelly trial. It was hilarious. While he is on the phone he is pissing on the girl. "Hang the Ni**er! I got the rope right here!"

XanBcoo
Sun, 11-27-2005, 03:36 AM
I just saw the episode where Granddad falls in love w/the Hoe Cristal (like the Champaigne). I actually like the show quite a bit, even though I find almost no racey humor funny at all.

I'm just suprised I heard the word Nigga said about 7 times on CN though. Great stuff.

milfhunter
Sun, 11-27-2005, 08:56 AM
(though I'm sure they'll cross the line when they need to get higher ratings...)

Yep, because that would just make The Boondocks even more awesome, if possible. I love how it's so politically incorrect, but wish it was even moreso. Hell, if it stirs up controversy, Time Warner who owns both HBO and Cartoon Network can just move it to HBO, where it would definitely find a home (no one can argue that). I'm surprised that Time Warner hasn't already done that because the writers would have even more freedom to go apeshit on "political correctness" and it would get more subscribers for HBO (it worked with Real Time With Bill Maher), making all of Time Warner's competitors pissed off because Rupert Murdoch's DirecTV will have to carry it and he hates niggers and liberals. And isn't one of Time Warner's executives, like the highest top-level one, a nigger? Oh shit, it would just be so ironic, comedic, and orgasmic all at the same time. Oh God, I love HBO.

aznimperialx
Mon, 11-28-2005, 07:26 AM
I saw the one esp. Last night. It had a lot of cursing...and it wasn't even funny. Why didn't it have cursing in the comic strip? The eps. sucked

mage
Mon, 11-28-2005, 05:50 PM
boondocks would be a lot better if they removed all the black characters.

User is warned for racism.

GotWoot Moderator

ChaosK
Mon, 11-28-2005, 08:21 PM
gotwoot would be a lot cooler if mage was dead.

aznimperialx
Mon, 11-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo
gotwoot would be a lot cooler if mage was dead.

i think so too

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 11-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Some people never learn..

aznimperialx
Mon, 11-28-2005, 11:14 PM
wasnt he supposed to be banned? Or that he pleaded to stay and said he was a good guy?

mage
Tue, 11-29-2005, 12:30 AM
i love the world!!!

masamuneehs
Tue, 11-29-2005, 01:52 PM
...guys, don't bash mage............at least not in this topic!

Resurrect the old "Should Mage be banned?" thread for discussion of his racist and annoying antics!

Seriously, put your posts in the proper place...

I thought the "Grandpa's Fight" episode from this Sunday was pretty damn hilarious. Come on, it paid so much homage to samurai movies (the blind samurai movie, Huey's nightmare, the final fight) Hell, it even had music by the Wu-Tang clan in there! Riley cracks me up, he's almost as evil as Master Shake from ATHF, and some of the things they say (though always exaggerated dramaizations) really do send a pretty good message to the African-American community.

If they toned down the use of the N word and stopped trying to come off as "We're so black!", I think this show would be more popular. Right now its shooting itself in the foot by narrowing its target audience so much and overemphasizing its racial posture.

aznimperialx
Tue, 11-29-2005, 03:19 PM
they made Boondocks just intended for blacks. Too much useage of the N word and yes the grandpa fight was kinda cool...but come on...even the old guy started cursing and crap

XanBcoo
Tue, 11-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Let's see who can name one black comedian (other than Bill Cosby) that hasn't relied on the race-card to get laughs.

In any case, I agree that it's being too narrow right now, but I still like the show.

Paulyboy
Tue, 11-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Yeah that episode was funny, "OKay this is a Ni**a moment," and they get shot up by the cops. It was a cool episode, and the blind guy dies lol.

OFF TOPIC: Yeah back then racism wasn't that much of a big joke, because it was really serious back then. But now most of the jokes are all stereotypical.

Assertn
Wed, 11-30-2005, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by: XanBcoo
Let's see who can name one black comedian (other than Bill Cosby) that hasn't relied on the race-card to get laughs.

In any case, I agree that it's being too narrow right now, but I still like the show.

The most talented comedians are straight caucasian males.
Simply because they don't have any minority card to rely on, so they need to come up with more creative ideas i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I've seen black comedians always use black jokes, i've seen women use female jokes, I've seen gay comedians always use gay jokes (although they usually hide the gay card until they use a creative way to announce that they're actually gay in the first place), and I've even seen a blind comedian use blind jokes. WTF?

aznimperialx
Wed, 11-30-2005, 11:21 PM
comedians always use sterotypes

complich8
Sun, 12-04-2005, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by: aznimperialx
they made Boondocks just intended for blacks. Too much useage of the N word and yes the grandpa fight was kinda cool...but come on...even the old guy started cursing and crap

Whoever the target audience is, I think it's hilarious and reasonably insightful.

XanBcoo
Sun, 12-04-2005, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by: aznimperialx
black comedians always use sterotypes

Fixed.

And I agree with complich8. Good show. I also like the art style.

aznimperialx
Mon, 12-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Last night's esp was pretty retard...the shootout was really gay too

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 12-05-2005, 05:12 PM
lol, finally got around to watching this show, it was surprisingly funny.

I STEPPED ON YO NEW SHOOS, WHATCHU GAWN DU NYYYYIGGGGUHH!!!!

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 12-05-2005, 08:22 PM
From what I've seen of the boondocks I've been extremely impressed. Very nice acidic satire. It's the kinda show I'd make if I had artistic talent and a large animation studio at my bidding (but alas I lack both those things, for now!). I love how it really doesn't take any prisoners practically no one is spared. I was at first afraid that it was going to be a one sided representation like Spike Lee the animated series. But surprisingly there has been some really good satire on the less savory aspects of black culture. Good stuff good stuff.

stos289
Tue, 12-06-2005, 04:31 PM
To comment on what masamuneehs said about how the animation does not really line up with the voice/SFX, the show was actually sent to Korea to be animated, that is why the art style is very unique and different from standard American shows. Also, with not having the animation and voice acting being developed in one place, it allows for flaws in the synching of the two, thus creating points where the characters movements don't match up with how the voices were created.

Other then that, I think the show is hilarious. I loved the newest episode, especially the part where Riley picks up the phone:

Riley: Hello?

Tom: Riley, I need to talk to your brother, I'm in jail!

Riley: ...Ha Ha Ha! Don't drop the soap!

*hangs up phone*

Classic stuff.

Assertn
Tue, 12-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by: stos289
To comment on what masamuneehs said about how the animation does not really line up with the voice/SFX, the show was actually sent to Korea to be animated, that is why the art style is very unique and different from standard American shows.

I'm pretty sure the art style was meant to reflect the style of the original comics. Which it does quite well from what I saw

Mite Gai
Wed, 12-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Does anyone know where I could download this online? I would like to have copies on my computer to send to send to my PSP to carry them on the go. Oh, and this does not belong in Anime Downloads because as the moderator stated on the first page this is not anime so this would seem the most appropriate place to put this.

stos289
Wed, 12-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by: AssertnFailure
I'm pretty sure the art style was meant to reflect the style of the original comics. Which it does quite well from what I saw

Well, that too. I read the comics also and I realized that the show reflects the art style of the comic. The main reason I mentioned that the animation was done in Korea is the whole thing with the synching of voice/SFX and animation.

EDIT: Torrentspy (http://ts.searching.com/search.asp?uid=&h=F15D538AC57CDE43&query=Boondocks &submit.x=0&submit.y=0) and NewNova (http://www.newnova.org) should have all the episodes.

XanBcoo
Wed, 12-07-2005, 10:58 PM
I heard something about how the animation director or something worked on Samurai Champloo. Anyone know anything about that?

Edit: Thanks a lot for the links Stos. Just downloaded "The Garden Party". Funny episode.

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 12-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Lol!! I just saw the episode with the "nigga moment." "Every nigga moment begins, with the nigga. Without that key element, all you're left with is peace, and quiet." Lol, I had to stop my self from suffocating to death on account of laughing after the beginning of that episode. "Ey SQUEEEZE it nigga!" Lol, its funny cuz its true.

Carnage
Fri, 12-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by: stos289

Originally Posted by: AssertnFailure

Well, that too. I read the comics also and I realized that the show reflects the art style of the comic. The main reason I mentioned that the animation was done in Korea is the whole thing with the synching of voice/SFX and animation.

EDIT: Torrentspy (http://ts.searching.com/search.asp?uid=&h=F15D538AC57CDE43&query=Boondocks &submit.x=0&submit.y=0) and NewNova (http://www.newnova.org) should have all the episodes.

thx a bunch. This show makes me shit my pants its so funny. But on torrent spy, why are there episodes in the 100's?

stos289
Fri, 12-09-2005, 08:45 PM
That is just a simplified way to express the season and episode number. For example, episode 1 of the first season would be labeled "Boondocks - 101," the first number being the season (first season in this case) and the next two numbers being the episode number (since a season can have more than 9 episodes, they leave two digits for it). Hope that cleared things up.

complich8
Sat, 12-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles
Lol!! I just saw the episode with the "nigga moment." "Every nigga moment begins, with the nigga. Without that key element, all you're left with is peace, and quiet." Lol, I had to stop my self from suffocating to death on account of laughing after the beginning of that episode. "Ey SQUEEEZE it nigga!" Lol, its funny cuz its true.

What did you...? Wait a minute .... hahaha I'm WHITE!

XanBcoo
Sun, 12-11-2005, 03:31 AM
The episode that was on tonight was so awesome. This was a rerun of the one last week, where Samuel L. Jackson guest starred as the wigga with corn rows. The one with the gun fight with the terrorists that aznimperialx thought was retarded (no idea why...).

I think probably the best part was the homage to one of my favorite movies:
Sam Jackson: "What country you from!?"
Riley: "what?"
Sam Jackson: "What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?"
Riley: "...what?"
Sam Jackson: "ENGLISH motherfucker! DO YOU SPEAK IT?"
Riley: "...what?"
Sam Jackson: "SAY WHAT AGAIN, I DARE YOU..."

...and so forth. Loved it.
The comedy was also pretty funny, what with the unknown-unknowns and terrorists and anal-rape. hehehe. This is becoming a favorite show of mine.

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 12-11-2005, 09:27 PM
I sure hope nobody missed it, but the episode in its entirety was a commentary on the search for Osama Bin Laden, and the Iraq war, as well as racial profiling. "I be dead on his ass like Spencer for fuckin' hire! I hunt em down and feed him his own TESTICLES. AAAAAND, I'll do it in a JIFFY! I don't care if his momma there, his grandmomma there, innocent bystandards, lil kids, babysitters, billcollectors, WHAT-EVA! I I leave his WHOLE BLOCK filled with hot brass if I HAVE TO. And you wanna know WHY? Cuz I...JUST....DON'T....GIVE A F*CK!" Rofl! You have GOT to love Samuel L. Jackson!

masamuneehs
Mon, 12-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Tonight's episode was absolutley hilarious.

Guest starring Mos Def

"I mean, hell nah, ya know, if, like the cops was around i'd probably shoot dem or sumthin'...but, I mean, they out there right? I mean, not scar'd o nuthin', jus' I-I want them out der , can you go check make suhh they out der?"

Gangsters: (all aiming guns) "Where's Gangstalicious's room at?"
Ruckus: (blank stare) (bizarre rumbling/splashing noise)
Pause
Ruckus: "Uh, excuse me you gonna have ta say dat again, I couldn't hear ya over the sound of my shittin myself."

In the fray, both rappers were shot ...by themselves...

Narrated from Riley's perspective, pretty damn funny episode.

Carnage
Mon, 12-12-2005, 03:41 PM
This show is my new family guy. Not that its anything like family guy, but its now to me the funniest show on tv. Family Guy just isnt as good as it used to be.

stos289
Tue, 12-13-2005, 09:28 PM
The newest episode was pretty funny, featuring Mos Def. The end was messed up though, I wasn't expecting what had happened to happen.

By the way, I personally liked the theme song for the Boondocks, so I uploaded it to Rapidshare (http://rapidshare.de/files/9136243/Boondocks_Theme.mp3.html) for you guys to listen to. If you didn't know, the song is by a rapper named Asheru.

Carnage
Thu, 12-15-2005, 09:21 PM
yea the theme song is pretty good. I cant believe what happened at the end. That was just nasty nd uncalled for, but if you just think about it its pretty funny. But dont visialize it. i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

darkmetal505
Mon, 12-19-2005, 10:48 PM
the adventures of black jesus.... HILARIOUS

Carnage
Wed, 12-21-2005, 03:35 PM
MERYY CHRISTMAS NIGGA! LMAO!!!

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 12-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Man, every episode is damn near classic. "Dear Santa, you are a bitch nigga..." *erases and edits* "Dear Santa, you are a bitch ass nigga...."

"Praaaaaaaaaise Santa!"

LobsterMagnet
Thu, 12-22-2005, 12:20 PM
What I like best about the show is how it dosen't take a single stance on complex issues of race. Multiple viewpoints and facets are shown. Best example would be the R.Kelly Trial which is an absolutly brutal satire of the less inteligent and savory aspects of the African American community. Despite how brutal the satire can be there is still a great deal of empathy and love that comes through by the end of each episode. One of the best shows I've seen in a long while I'd even go as far to say that it's the best piece of original programming put on Adult Swim.

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 12-27-2005, 02:23 AM
The show is really not all that complicated. It has the main character, whose nature is to be wary of the government and the relatively priveleged position of whites in society. But the main point of the show to me, seems to be to point out a lot of the negative aspects of black culture. There are a few criticism's of the system and whites (tom dubois getting arrested in the x-box killer case), but mostly, its been almost like "you're wondering why blacks have such a terrible image? This might be a significant part of the reason..." Kind of a what not to do guide for black people. "ey...SQUEEEEEEEEEZE it nigga!"

dantheman62
Mon, 01-30-2006, 12:45 AM
Good animation, top notch V.O. and great stories, although a little on the racial and vulgar side for me, but still good.

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 11-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I swore I saw a thread on this show some time ago when the last season was aired, but I can't find it now. The new season is 5 episodes in, and after last night's Thugnificent episode, I have to say it's the funniest damn thing on television today. Check it out http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/3875048/The.Boondocks.S02E05.DSR.XviD-SYS_%5Bbadb0y%5D.3875048.TPB.torrent

masamuneehs
Tue, 11-06-2007, 02:51 PM
only saw one episode this season, and it was the 'Don't Snitch' episode. I'm not a big fan of Rummy (Samuel L. Jackson) and the Onceler kid, so I didn't like that episode very much. I'll check out some of the episodes, as I do like the show. The best episode is still "The Passion of Ruckus"

"And I want you to reach out to the nigga next to you and lay hands on him! But before you do, make sure that hand is in a fist; so that you might smack the black out of him!"

Yukimura
Wed, 11-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Masa you'd like "Stinkmeaner Strikes Back" if you liked "The Passion of Ruckus" it was the 4th episode of the new season and the funniest so far I think.

Eddie_Brock
Wed, 11-07-2007, 04:18 PM
"what's good njigaaaah?" excuse me "what's reallyy good njiggaaah?"
Ep 4 of this seasons rocks laughed my ass of. I liked the last ep too, granddad got some skills.

Carnage
Wed, 11-07-2007, 05:43 PM
The Rummy and Stinkmeaner episodes were amazing.

XanBcoo
Sun, 11-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Just saw the Thugnificent episode last night. Didn't actually make me laugh as much as the first few episodes of this season. The first one has actually been my favorite. I rewatch the Soul Plane 2 trailer to cheer me up when I'm depressed.

I was happy to see Rummy and Wuncler back, and Rummy's ranting about Bluetooth had me rolling. Love it.

Jaitne
Sun, 11-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I was happy to see Rummy and Wuncler back, and Rummy's ranting about Bluetooth had me rolling. Love it.

Their rants are always something to tune in for.

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 11-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Just saw the Thugnificent episode last night. Didn't actually make me laugh as much as the first few episodes of this season. The first one has actually been my favorite. I rewatch the Soul Plane 2 trailer to cheer me up when I'm depressed.

Damn, is you yellin at me or shittin at me?

XanBcoo
Sun, 11-11-2007, 10:23 PM
I love how they managed to work John Witherspoon into that segment as well.

I also suddenly remembered my love for A Pimp Named Slickback. He and Riley were perfect in the Tom, Sarah, and Usher episode.

"Has not hitting the bitch been workin?? I mean, scientifically speaking, has not hitting the bitch achieved the desired results?"

toonice714
Mon, 12-03-2007, 11:42 AM
is it me or has there been a lot more fighting. i love it but huey keeps getting fucked up

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 04-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Season 3 of the Boondocks comes on this Sunday night on Cartoon Network, don't forget to tune in.

Sapphire
Thu, 04-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Finally! I can't wait.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 04-29-2010, 05:51 PM
great.I could use a good cartoon to watch.

XanBcoo
Thu, 04-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Shit, I've known about this for a while and I completely forgot to post about it.

Here's the trailer for season 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOCaLPAVK0Q

The animation is spectacular. The first episode is supposed to riff on Obama's campaign.

Testarossa Autodrive
Thu, 04-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Totally watching.

Sapphire
Thu, 04-29-2010, 10:51 PM
That... was.... amazing. I need more now! I had forgotten how gracefully amazing this show is. I have no words for it's awesomeness.

XanBcoo
Fri, 04-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Wil.I.Am featuring Thugnificent: Dick Riding Obama (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08S4poMGvwA)

Not particularly funny, but I lost it at the white guy dancing around. Apparently that's meant to be George Clooney?

And the new clips featured in the intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0fk8nTY_LE&feature=channel

Assassin
Fri, 04-30-2010, 12:39 AM
whats the song thats playing during the trailer?

XanBcoo
Fri, 04-30-2010, 01:29 AM
Exhibit C by Jay Electronica (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc09HB7nEbA)

XanBcoo
Mon, 05-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Eh...I guess it was an ok episode. I think South Park did the whole "Obama fever" thing just as well in a shorter amount of time.

There were some impressive cameos in there. I liked the Bill Maher bit until I found out it was actually him. He's a smug twat, and the fact that he might acknowledge it and embrace it somehow made that scene less funny. I love how they got Herzog to narrate, though.

I think there were some funny bits like Thugnificent's interviews and Tom being a lesser-Obama, but the whole Huey leaving the country, being disowned, and grandad saying "don't taze me bro" was stupid. It seems like the characters might be entering that point where they're just caricatures of themselves.

Overall it was ok.

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 05-03-2010, 10:45 AM
The problem is there is so much time between seasons that it's hard to keep current (though, the don't taze me, bro phenomenon is probably old enough to have been parodied last season) while an episode of South Park only takes a week to create.

As usual I'm loving Bill Maher and I could really tell that was his voice.

I find it particularly funny knowing Robert makes over 250K a year (Obama promised to raise taxes on people making that much, and the interviewer corrected Robert's assumption that his taxes would be lower) but he's ready to beat someone's ass over drinking his orange juice. The old man always wants to act like he's broke.

Dick ridin' Obama wasn't that great, thanks to that synthesizer shit new rappers use to fool dumbasses into thinking they can sing. IT'S SO FUCKING ANNOYING.

XanBcoo
Mon, 05-03-2010, 02:08 PM
The problem is there is so much time between seasons that it's hard to keep current (though, the don't taze me, bro phenomenon is probably old enough to have been parodied last season) while an episode of South Park only takes a week to create.
It's more that it took an entire episode to convey the same sentiment that South Park did in 1/3 of their similar episode. It's not that it wasn't topical, it just didn't do all that much with a concept we're all pretty familiar with.

I think most of the episode was based on this interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

Like I said, there were funny parts, but overall it wasn't that strong of an opening episode. Nothing really interesting or profound, and although I get that Huey was silent in order to let us project ourselves into the episode and share his frustrations, he really has become a boring character.

Dick ridin' Obama wasn't that great, thanks to that synthesizer shit new rappers use to fool dumbasses into thinking they can sing. IT'S SO FUCKING ANNOYING.
Vocoder, or autotune. I love when Colbert uses it:
KANYEEEeeeEEEEEeeeeEEEEEeeeEEEEEEE (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/247478/september-14-2009/kanye-west-interrupts-taylor-swift-at-the-vmas)

at 1:00 in.

Yukimura
Mon, 05-03-2010, 03:55 PM
The only way I can think of to salvage this episode as well done is to see it as an attempt to convey McGruder's malaise about the whole Obama bruhaha by making us feel similarly 'meh' about the first episode of Boondocks in however long. Overall I felt like the episode wasn't terrible but it wasn't remotely special either. When the credits rolled without Huey even delivering an Aesop speech I was left with a that same feeling of 'meh' it seemed like Huey was feeling.

Uchiha Barles
Mon, 05-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm kind of also pretty 'meh' on this episode, but for slightly different reasons. This episode seemed more like a third eye squeegee first, and a comedy show second. I kind of watch boondocks for the opposite priority. There were plenty of funny moments, but past episodes had me in stitches over the entire length, and some episodes had jokes I was still laughing at by the end of the episode. I think that aspect suffered because of the serious tone of the episode.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 05-05-2010, 11:35 AM
it looked like a really low budget episode. I'm used to more flashing animation from boondocks.
not many funny parts either, sure, I get that the point was that Obama is just another president, who happens to be black, and how stuff is still going to be pretty much the same. but that could be told in five minutes, not 20.

Sapphire
Wed, 05-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I actually sort of liked it. Not necessarily for the powerfulness of the message, but because it was sort of a nice and comfortable transition back into the amazing Boondocks world.

I've always sort of been annoyed at flavor of the month episodes, but I took this episode to be a somewhat nostalgic reminder of all the hilarity that happened these last years. It's the Boondocks, they were going to have to comment on a black president somehow. The only thing is, time was against them, so sadly, they ended up broadcasting the "wrong" commentary too late.

I'm looking forward to more of Boondocks "powerful" episodes that aren't related to current events though.

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 05-23-2010, 10:48 PM
This is what I waited 2 years for?

Is this supposed to be some kind of fucking joke?

Carnage
Mon, 05-24-2010, 04:30 PM
There is some hope, especially after the kickball episode. Each season has had its shitty episodes.

Death BOO Z
Mon, 05-24-2010, 04:43 PM
the kickball episode was great, although I'm not sure if it was supposed to be mocking or playing it straight.

while it was fun and all, it was still a one-character episode, all huey and no one else. him speaking Chinese was an extra nail down the coffin.

I prefer the 2nd episode, at least some people talked there, had more heart in it.

special mentions of funny: Tibet guy (Caucasian wife!, moral victory), and the ref, who strangled himself, jumped of the bridge and O.Ded, at that order.

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 06-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Did I lose my sense of humor or has the boondocks become mostly unfunny?

Genma
Fri, 06-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Did I lose my sense of humor or has the boondocks become mostly unfunny?

First two episodes were horrendous. This latest one, Stinkmeaner Part 3 or whatever, was actually pretty good.

Sapphire
Sat, 06-05-2010, 11:31 AM
The Kanye West one was a total failure, whoever wrote the script should know people only talk about that sort of thing for four months max!

The racist episode was pretty enjoyable to me. I was a little bit touched by "I met one good n*". Boondocks always goes to extremes to drive home a "point" or the use of racism though. Reminded me of Dave Chappelle.

The kickball episode was simply amazing. I nearly screamed in ecstasy when the two kids were having their own private show down in the woods. That episode was one epic moment after another, even the minor scenes of the Chinese people throwing a ball around were epic. My favorite was, "I don't like it when people try to make a fool of me". This is what Boondocks needs to be doing instead of trying to remain current. Because when they don't, they get something timeless.

The Heretic Azazel
Fri, 06-18-2010, 01:50 PM
I really liked this week's episode, especially Riley's f-bomb tirade to the president of the school's chocolate company.

On a separate note, and one that I found to be most appropriately fit for this thread...

OH MY FUCKING GOD, COUNTRY MUSICIANS ARE USING AUTO-TUNING. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utZj09ZL9qg)

I flipped through a country music channel and heard it immediately. I dropped the remote and just sat there in awe. They were not light on it, either.

XanBcoo
Fri, 06-18-2010, 04:11 PM
OH MY FUCKING GOD, COUNTRY MUSICIANS ARE USING AUTO-TUNING. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utZj09ZL9qg)

I flipped through a country music channel and heard it immediately. I dropped the remote and just sat there in awe. They were not light on it, either.
lmao

The future of music, right here. You couldn't make it up.

Assassin
Sat, 06-19-2010, 08:28 PM
this is sad considering country singers could always, y'know.....sing.

Its one thing for rappers with no talent to use it, but for someone who actually has a voice that doesnt sound like a garage door opening, its just retarded.

Music is dead.

XanBcoo
Mon, 06-21-2010, 12:05 PM
I loved last night's episode. I feel like I completely understand Tyler Perry's movies now. They railed on him in a way that's only been done by Matt Stone and Trey Parker.

I loved that guy's line in the waiting room. Something like "I need work. I can't sit around and wait for another Akeela and The Bee to come out".

And it's always funny to here Granddad talk about Friday.

rockmanj
Mon, 06-21-2010, 01:52 PM
I loved last night's episode. I feel like I completely understand Tyler Perry's movies now. They railed on him in a way that's only been done by Matt Stone and Trey Parker.

I loved that guy's line in the waiting room. Something like "I need work. I can't sit around and wait for another Akeela and The Bee to come out".

And it's always funny to here Granddad talk about Friday.

I think that was actually Kadeem Hardison too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_Wayne

XanBcoo
Mon, 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Haha, I checked his imdb page and it was. I love little touches like that.

No homo.

Yukimura
Mon, 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Well I guess now we know how Aaron McGruder feels about Tyler Perry. I don't think the show is able to be at its best when it's being so specific in its attacks. By that I mean when it's making fun of a particular individual or specific institution as opposed to the fandom of or general situation involving a certain individual or institution (e.g. the whole R. Kelly situation including reactions vs just R.Kelly's behavior).

For that reason this latest episode felt rather weak to me. In the first few minutes it felt like they exhausted their supply of criticisms and the rest of the ep was just rehashing the same stuff over and over.

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 06-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Strong ending, but I agree the episode wasn't that funny. McGruder was RIGHT about Tyler Perry movies, everything was pretty spot on, but it just tried too hard.

XanBcoo
Tue, 06-22-2010, 12:39 AM
It definitely wasn't the funniest, but I think the episode was good in its character interactions. I liked the running No Homo gag, at least. I think the weakest part of the episode was the end, where they had the Tyler Perry proxy say "I just want some ass." or whatever. That felt really forced.

I'm not usually a fan of Grandad episodes, but I liked that one.

I also just caught up on the rest of this season. I think the kickball episode will be the best of the season, followed by Riley's fund raising.

"What if this was a movie..."

Assassin
Tue, 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM
The fundraising the the funniest episode by far...i always love riley centered eps. The kickball one was good too cuz it had the classic Huey fight/martial arts stuff, but definitely not as funny as Fund Raising.

Sapphire
Tue, 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM
All right. I'm picking this series up again. It seems that everyone dropped it. I'm not sure which episode I'm on, so I'll start on episode 5.

rockmanj
Tue, 06-07-2011, 10:24 AM
I never dropped it; it ended. Great show though; definitely one of my all time favorites.

Sapphire
Sun, 11-06-2011, 03:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcqOgnQyXp4&feature=feedrec_grec_index

Smoke w/ cigarettes!

Animeniax
Sun, 11-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Tosh gave this kid a web redemption a couple years ago.

lelouch
Sun, 09-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Having a boondocks episode made after you is legendary. I would kill for that

Sapphire
Tue, 12-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Really? I would be humiliated for the rest of my life if that were me, lol.

When's the next season?~! Oh, apparently next month (http://www.junkiemonkeys.com/the-boondocks-season-4-arrives-january-2014/)! I hope it's better than last season.

Carnage
Fri, 12-27-2013, 03:51 PM
I really hope it does come back next month, has there been any word since?

Sapphire
Fri, 01-03-2014, 09:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=m5LsFwD8x14

Here is an awesome score from season 4, supposedly made for when Huey falls in love at first sight! (i guess the title of the vid spoils it

There's some stuff thrown in on top to discourage you from bootlegging it I guess, but you can still hear the awesomeness under.

Carnage
Sun, 01-05-2014, 01:11 AM
Do you know when the actual premiere date is?

Sapphire
Sun, 01-05-2014, 10:38 AM
I have no idea, there's been no word of it whatsoever other than the commercial and some shady-ass sneak peaks (like the one above) here or there. :(

At this point I'm guessing it's going to be delayed for a few months at least. I mean, they're not just going to air it randomly with no advertising of any sort, right?

Sapphire
Wed, 01-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Official air date now apparently April 21@ 10:30 (http://colorlines.com/archives/2014/01/the_boondocks_season_4_has_an_official_air_date.ht ml).

Prepare your bodies, people!