PDA

View Full Version : NBA 2007-2008 Season: Celtics vs Lakers Finals

Munsu
Tue, 10-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Well, the NBA season starts tonight and it looks like it'll be one of the most exciting season we've had in the last couple of years. The East got much better this season, and there are plenty of legitimate contenders. The Celitcs are relevant again, and for sure they'll win it all.

So who are you guys rooting for? Who are your picks to take the East, the West, who's your NBA champion and who's your MVP?

From the East, I pick the Celtics, there's no doubt. I've watched all their preseason games, and I tell you now that team is a beast. All the analysts that doubt them haven't seen them play and don't know shit about the team

From the West, I picking the Suns. I think this year they'll finally put it together in the playoffs, but I think Denver will surprise a lot of people and catch them sleeping. Spurs keep winning, but they've never convinced me so I can't pick them.

NBA champion, the Celtics... they'll be unstoppable.

MVP, this one's tough... I want to say Paul Pierce, but it'll probably be Kevin Garnett. I really think Kobe will deserve it, but with all the offseason drama it might hinder him getting votes, etc.

rockmanj
Tue, 10-30-2007, 09:36 PM
I don't think the Celts are going all the way...I mean they have the big 3, but besides Posey and House, that's about it. As of right now, they have no decent PG, no bench, and Garnett's not going to rebound the ball 40 times a game, although Kendrick Perkins might throw in about 7-10 boards (hopefully). They'll definitely make the playoffs, barring some horrendous injuries, but I don't think they have what it takes this year to go all the way. I actually think the Bulls can come out the east...

Of course I have to pick the Suns in the west; they're my favorite team, and they're fairly deep. I just hope they can keep the speed up; and actually, I'm very intrigued with the Grant Hill addition, because as you know, PHX loves the 3 pointer, but Hill's like at a career .250 from 3. He's a good player (formerly a great one in his Piston days), but he'd have to pretty much totally change his game to mesh with D'Antoni's system. And Barbosa's just getting better and better. I'm expecting 20 ppg out of him this year. But screw it, the Spurs always win anyway...even with their dirty tactics (I hate the spurs).

And as for MVP...it's tough to say as of now. I think Yao could get it, if he doesn't get hurt. When he's healthy, there isn't too much you can do against him; plus he's still relatively young. If not him, then the field is left pretty wide open. Baron Davis could get it, if he plays consistently and stays healthy. Amare could even get it, if he plays defense like someone of his size and ability. Last year, I didnt expect Dirty Dirk to get MVP, but it happened, so...

Zati
Tue, 10-30-2007, 10:32 PM
My choices would be : King James, KG, Stevie Nash, or Kobe for MVP, with Nash being my no.1 if I had to choose.

I like Houston Rockets, if only T-Mac and Yao can stay healthy for the whole season...Tracy McGrady is still one of my favorite players, so I hope he comes back strong this year. Anyway, my choice for NBA champs this year would be the Suns. Suns all the way!

I'll also be rooting for my Raptors of course, they have a great group of players. I love how my Raptors are rebuilding nicely after the Vince Carter trade. Chris Bosh!

lilphatboi88
Tue, 10-30-2007, 11:27 PM
I'd say Celtics got a decent pg in Rajon Rondo.

Munsu
Wed, 10-31-2007, 12:14 AM
I don't think the Celts are going all the way...I mean they have the big 3, but besides Posey and House, that's about it. As of right now, they have no decent PG, no bench, and Garnett's not going to rebound the ball 40 times a game, although Kendrick Perkins might throw in about 7-10 boards (hopefully). They'll definitely make the playoffs, barring some horrendous injuries, but I don't think they have what it takes this year to go all the way. I actually think the Bulls can come out the east...

Of course I have to pick the Suns in the west; they're my favorite team, and they're fairly deep. I just hope they can keep the speed up; and actually, I'm very intrigued with the Grant Hill addition, because as you know, PHX loves the 3 pointer, but Hill's like at a career .250 from 3. He's a good player (formerly a great one in his Piston days), but he'd have to pretty much totally change his game to mesh with D'Antoni's system. And Barbosa's just getting better and better. I'm expecting 20 ppg out of him this year. But screw it, the Spurs always win anyway...even with their dirty tactics (I hate the spurs).

And as for MVP...it's tough to say as of now. I think Yao could get it, if he doesn't get hurt. When he's healthy, there isn't too much you can do against him; plus he's still relatively young. If not him, then the field is left pretty wide open. Baron Davis could get it, if he plays consistently and stays healthy. Amare could even get it, if he plays defense like someone of his size and ability. Last year, I didnt expect Dirty Dirk to get MVP, but it happened, so...
Again, spoken by people that haven't seen the Celtics play. Rajon Rondo is an awesome point guard. Pass first player, who can very well be the quickest player with the ball in the NBA. And don't let me start with how he rebounds and defends, he'll lead the league in steals too. Sure he needs to work on his shot, but that's not important, all the other things he does extremely well. Kendrick Perkins will have a great year if he can stay out of foul trouble, with Garnett's passing ability I'd be surprised if he doesn't lead the NBA in FG%. I don't know why you're talking about rebounding, because Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Garnett, and Perkins are all great rebounders for their positions.

Saying that they don't have a bench is an overstatement. It's not like the whole bench will be playing by themselves out there. They'll always have at least 1 or 2 of the star players on the floor. House is a great offensive igniter off the bench, Posey is a great defender and 3pt shooter, the rookie Big Baby is already impressing... he'll be a tough match-up and he can really get to the line and hit his free-throws. The only question mark is wether Tony Allen can come back to form after his knee injury. And most importantly, they haven't finished their roster yet, they'll do a mid-season addition to address any weakness that becomes evident during the season.

No one can defend them, and their defense will be off the charts this year. Just wait till Ray Allen heats it up, we'll be destroying the opponent.

Anyways, I bought plane tickets and got some tickets for the Celtics home opener, and íf that's not a sign of the upcoming 17th banner, I don't know what is.

lilphatboi88 knows what he's talking about.

Idealistic
Wed, 10-31-2007, 01:04 AM
Coming from the New England side of the states, I have to cheer for the Celtics. Along with the Red Sox who recently won, and the Patriots who are going to win as well.

hehehe... Go Celtics!!!!!!!!!!!

Munsu
Wed, 10-31-2007, 02:43 AM
Coming from the New England side of the states, I have to cheer for the Celtics. Along with the Red Sox who recently won, and the Patriots who are going to win as well.

hehehe... Go Celtics!!!!!!!!!!!
Another sign that the Celtics are going to win... the New England area looks like it can't lose.

masamuneehs
Wed, 10-31-2007, 11:31 AM
if only you could get winnage by osmosis like that...

I lost all interest in pro basketball once Ewing left the Knicks. I wanted that guy to get a ring. I can't even name anyone involved with the Knicks currently besides Isiah Thomas (only because I remember him from NBA Jam and he's in the news everywhere) and maybe Allen Houston?

After seeing a few March Madnesses, and just college basketball in general, i've really found the pros to be flat and yawn-inspiring outside of the last ten minutes or so of a game... I know people go on and on about how much tougher the defense is in the pros and all the talent and etc., but it just bores the shit out me.

Only thing I'm interested in is to see which player rapes a girl this year and how the new dude from China pans out.

rockmanj
Wed, 10-31-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm not bashing him...but I think Rondo needs a bit more experience before he's able to run the offense well...Its true i havent seen him play this year, so I'm going off of last year. He definitely has potential, but the 1 is a position that takes some time getting used to.

Munsu
Thu, 11-01-2007, 12:33 PM
if only you could get winnage by osmosis like that...

I lost all interest in pro basketball once Ewing left the Knicks. I wanted that guy to get a ring. I can't even name anyone involved with the Knicks currently besides Isiah Thomas (only because I remember him from NBA Jam and he's in the news everywhere) and maybe Allen Houston?

After seeing a few March Madnesses, and just college basketball in general, i've really found the pros to be flat and yawn-inspiring outside of the last ten minutes or so of a game... I know people go on and on about how much tougher the defense is in the pros and all the talent and etc., but it just bores the shit out me.

Only thing I'm interested in is to see which player rapes a girl this year and how the new dude from China pans out.
Houston has been retired for quite some time now, he tried to return this year but he didn't make the cut. The Knicks should be surprisingly good this year, so you might want to check them out.

ian_sanzo
Thu, 11-01-2007, 03:29 PM
No offence guys but i really haven't got enough time on reading news about the NBA lately. The recent i heard was about Kobe leaving the lakers? What's gonna happen to Kobe and the lakers?

Munsu
Thu, 11-01-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't think they'll trade him because of his "no trade" clause. No one is offering the value the Lakers want for him, and the ones who do Kobe stops the trade, so he won't be going anywhere. They should stop the nonsense already so that all basketball fans can actually focus on what really matters, and that's the Celtics.

rockmanj
Sat, 11-10-2007, 02:35 AM
They are looking good..but so is Nash...consistently dropping 30 point games. I doubt he can keep that pace up the whole season, but if he can...that's another trophy for his case.

Munsu
Tue, 11-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Nash can suck my balls, I hate his game... hate people that play zero defense.

That aside, the Celtics are kicking ass left and right. Only undefeated team left. I've always liked the Clippers too, so I hope they can keep it up until Brand returns.

The Bulls suck, they are not going anywhere. They are a strictly jump shooting team, and their shooters are not particularly impressive. Detroit has been looking so solid so far, but they've been bad in the playoffs since they've won it all so nothing to worry about there.

I've liked the Hawks and Portland a lot so far, young exciting teams that are getting results. The Wolves and Seattle suckass, but the Wolves are playing a bit better than I expected, Seattle looks horrible though.

Tomorrow, Celtics versus NJ again. Man I hate that team, especially that clown called Jefferson. He needs to learn to keep his mouth shot, before starting to look even more foolish than he already does. At least he's playing well, so that's going for him.

ChaosK
Wed, 11-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Nash can suck my balls, I hate his game... hate people that play zero defense.

*starts singing* Meet the knicks...meet the knicks...comon down and meet the knicks!

K, that's enough. Denver looks like a really good team but the song can also apply for them. Even though they got their asses handed to them on a silver platter by boston, I still think they're a good team.

I'm looking for Lebron to wreck this year, D-Wade came back today but he'll be injured within the next 3 months. And honestly, AI has been in the league for like 10 years...will he ever slow down?

rockmanj
Fri, 11-16-2007, 02:10 AM
Denver is really lighting it up this year, scoring over like 100 points in most of their games (which is what they should be doing with that kind of talent). And, yes the Celts are 7-0, and are playing every game like its a playoff game (and KG terrifying everyone within 1000 feet of him). And of course, im still all about the Suns...but STAT needs to get his act together.

Munsu
Mon, 11-26-2007, 11:49 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LvdJoT18nAs

animus
Tue, 11-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Noice. Haven't followed the NBA this season, since I was without a PC and I don't have a NBA Live Pass or Cable for that matter. Anyways, is there a good way to stream/dl these games?

Munsu
Tue, 11-27-2007, 06:17 PM
I downloaded a program called Sopcast, and I look for links for the games in this site:

There are other options, but I'd say that Sopcast works the best. Just read the forum for more information, etc.

http://myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=basketball

rockmanj
Tue, 11-27-2007, 10:00 PM
The C's were looking a little shaky out there, even though I dont really like Lebron's game. It seems like he doesn't have any confidence in his teammates. Like, I look at the Spurs, Suns, and Celts, and they seem to be motivated by their big stars...but Cleveland doesn't seem that way to me. L.A., for that matter too.

Munsu
Fri, 11-30-2007, 01:15 AM
The C's were looking a little shaky out there, even though I dont really like Lebron's game. It seems like he doesn't have any confidence in his teammates. Like, I look at the Spurs, Suns, and Celts, and they seem to be motivated by their big stars...but Cleveland doesn't seem that way to me. L.A., for that matter too.
Well, did we look shaky against the Knicks?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=271129002

That was just plain ugly.

rockmanj
Fri, 11-30-2007, 01:34 AM
yea, yea, yea..that was just plain wrong.

Munsu
Thu, 12-13-2007, 04:08 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds <--- Celtics, 63.8% of being champs lol.

rockmanj
Fri, 12-14-2007, 02:20 AM
Freaking Mass.....I'm sure you all will get to the finals, but Hollinger's been wrong before. And the Lakers at 50 wins this season? Hmm...Golden State having a better chance than Phoenix?? Yea, they pay that guy too much.

Munsu
Fri, 12-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Freaking Mass.....I'm sure you all will get to the finals, but Hollinger's been wrong before. And the Lakers at 50 wins this season? Hmm...Golden State having a better chance than Phoenix?? Yea, they pay that guy too much.
Ýou've got to understand the tool before understanding the results... all the tool is saying is that IF the current conditions remain pretty much as they have been now, those are the probable results... but the thing about the tool is that it gathers data and adjusts itself for changes as the season goes along. So, the current projections will be off, but once half the season has gone by, they should be that much accurate.

Munsu
Sat, 01-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Don't miss the Celtics vs Pistons tonight. The first game was great, with a playoff atmosphere... should be the same this time around, especially the way these two teams are playing and their winning streaks.

Speaking of winning streaks, that recent streak by the Blazers was great... they look like they'll make a run this season, but the future does look very bright.

Munsu
Mon, 02-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Fucking Gasol to the Lakers... that's bullshit. On the other hand, a Lakers-Celtics final would be interesting.

TwisT
Tue, 02-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Well i have been told I'm a Celtics fan now so Go Celtics! \o/ \o/ \o/

Munsu
Thu, 04-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Well, the season is now over and it's time for the real thing... who are you guys picking? As you might now, the Celtics are going to win it all... now with Cassell and PJ and all.

Here are the matchups for the first round, the ones in green are my pick to win the series:

WEST

Lakers vs Nuggets
Hornets vs Mavericks
Suns vs Spurs
Jazz vs Rockets

EAST

Celtics vs Hawks
Wizards vs Cavs
Raptors vs Magic
Pistons vs 76ers

animus
Thu, 04-17-2008, 07:05 PM
My choices are the opposite of yours except the Celtics and Magic.

Munsu
Sun, 04-20-2008, 02:33 AM
Man, the first day of the playoffs was amazing. All the games were great. Great tough game between the Cavs and Washington... a ton of intensity and hard fouls. Chris Paul completely dominated Dallas. Houston and Utah was alright, nothing spectacular. But man, the Spurs and Suns game was amazing, truely one of the best games in the history of the NBA... if you guys didn't watch it, put ESPN right now... they're repeating the game. Double overtime, and Duncan hitting a clutch 3. What could be better?

What could be better is tomorrow, when the Celtics take the floor. Come one people, make your predictions... this is going to be a great playoff this year, one of the better ones in quite some years.

darkmetal505
Sun, 04-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Woot, go Chris Paul and Hornets.

I have the Lakers taking the Western Conference and the Celtics taking the Eastern with Celtics winning the whole thing.

rockmanj
Sun, 04-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Freaking Tim Duncann!!!! ARRGH

darkmetal505
Tue, 04-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Man, the Hornets rizzzaped the Mavs tonight. Go Chris Paul!

rockmanj
Wed, 05-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Geez, what's up with Jesus Shuttleworth's shot? You would think there would be some worries about that...Im not so sure the Celts can make it past the Pistons, and even if they do, they take every series to the freakin limit...

I stand corrected.

Munsu
Thu, 05-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Geez, what's up with Jesus Shuttleworth's shot? You would think there would be some worries about that...Im not so sure the Celts can make it past the Pistons, and even if they do, they take every series to the freakin limit...

I stand corrected.
I'm too pissed off to participate in this thread, but Ray Allen's main struggles come from the poor PG play of the Celtics. They completely took him out of rhythm until it snow balled the way it did. Granted, he wasn't shooting as he's supposed to, but the PGs have been completely awful running the offense and getting him the touches he needs. Also, the Cleveland defense did a tremendous job taking him out of the games, so a lot of the credit has to go to them for taking him out of rhythm. But he looks good right now.

Detroit is done, but the fucking Celtics have been underperforming big time and it's pissing me off. I'll tell you this, the Celtics have been playing against the best defensive teams in the league for 2 straight series. The Lakers are going to be a breath of fresh air. Nothing they throw at the Celtics will even compare to what Detroit and Cleveland has done defensively.

rockmanj
Fri, 05-30-2008, 02:06 AM
I don't know...Phil Jackson's a great coach, and we see how well Rondo does with those traps (lob passes aplenty). Pretty much all they have to do is put pressure on him, and he's likely to throw a bad pass up in the air. And it seems like The C's are deliberately trying to give away games like they're on clearance. I mean, blowing that huge lead in the 3rd?? :S

Munsu
Fri, 05-30-2008, 11:25 PM
The Lakers really don't have the personel to run traps effectively, the Celtics will eat them out if they do. Fisher is decent, but his hands are not the great, the only real good on-ball defender they have in there is Kobe and maybe Vujacic (sp?). They won't be able to do it successfully.

Anyways, Celtics-Lakers finals... BEAT LA! BEAT LA!

Celtics in 6.

Idealistic
Fri, 05-30-2008, 11:38 PM
I'd like to be more optimistic and say Celtics will sweep the Lakers. Hehehehehe.

WHOOOO CELTICS!! Finally man... I can feel the joy Pierce and Rivers had.

Munsu
Fri, 05-30-2008, 11:39 PM
I'd like to be more optimistic and say Celtics will sweep the Lakers. Hehehehehe.

WHOOOO CELTICS!! Finally man... I can feel the joy Pierce and Rivers had.
I say 6 games, but in my mind it's really a sweep. That was a cool moment when they hugged each other after the game.

rockmanj
Fri, 05-30-2008, 11:51 PM
I don't know about a sweep...I mean, you can' count out Kobe ever, and actually, they're kind of like the Cavs, but way better. Boston may not get this one...

Munsu
Sat, 05-31-2008, 12:18 AM
Cavs are a much better defensive team.

I like the match-ups, I think Perk will do a good job on Gasol and easily outrebound him. KG should be able to eat Odom alive. Pierce is playing some great basketball, and Allen has found his shooting stroke. The Celtics will defend Kobe by commitee, and we'll be fine. They guarded him during the season quite well, and I think we'll do a continuation of it.

rockmanj
Sat, 05-31-2008, 05:13 PM
I see your points, and actually I would prefer the C's win...but Ill play devil's advocate a bit here. I don't think Perkins would match up all that well against Gasol, as Gasol's a bit more finesse, and would likely draw Perkins away from the basket (and probably into foul trouble). And the KG-Odom matchup is interesting to say the least; as a lot of people underrate Odom, but he is a skilled big man that pretty much can play anywhere on the floor. And Kobe..well, he's been playing out of his mind lately. I hope its a good series, but as of now, too close for me to call.

Munsu
Sat, 05-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Perk can do quite well away from the basket, unless Gasol goes out and start hitting 3's. Perk did quite a good job against Wallace who's a stronger mid-range/outside shooter than Gasol is. And if Gasol is playing outside, I'll take it... he has done most of his damage on layups and post moves with the Lakers. Just the same, Perk has been hugely underrated in the defensive side... I'd even say he has been our best defender these past series for the most part. His responsibility on the defensive end is huge and he has done it quite well. Just ask Billups how Perk's defense is.

I know it's not big indication, but the only game Gasol played against the Celtics this year, he was 3 for 13... we can work off that.

Yeah, that Odom/KG matchup is interesting, but once again Odom will be really effective if he's playing away from the basket, and I'll take that. Also, he will be playing PF once again for the most part, and during the season he did little against the Celtics in that position. He would be a clear mismatch if the Lakers still had Bynum and they'd move Odom to the SF position, but he's going against the Defensive Player of the Year... come on man. If Odom plays away from the basket, and i aggressive in his penetration, he can cause trouble, but he's not that kind of player... he settles quite a lot for jump shots. KG also remembers the tackle he did on Ray Allen, KG will make sure to make him look bad.

Kobe, yeah he's extraordinary... but I'm not scared of him. I just hope he's not efficient on his shots, he wasn't during the season (but that's a wash). He can get 40 points whevever he wants, it's how he gets there that matters to me, and as long as he isn't efficient, we're good.

I really like our matchups against the Lakers, can't fucking wait for Thursday.

Munsu
Fri, 06-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Game 1 goes to the Celtics... no need to elaborate.

Idealistic
Sun, 06-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Celtics blowing out the Lakers right now...

If they win on the road in game 3.... I want to say SWEEEEP!!!

darkmetal505
Mon, 06-09-2008, 03:02 AM
I wouldn't say blowing out. Lakers narrowed it down to 4 from 21. Also, both games were Celtics homecourt. True test comes next game.

animus
Thu, 06-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Lakers got owned.

Munsu
Fri, 06-13-2008, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't say blowing out. Lakers narrowed it down to 4 from 21. Also, both games were Celtics homecourt. True test comes next game.
Easy to do when the other team stops playing. That comeback had more to do with the Celtics getting overconfident than the Lakers actually playing good.

Lakers got owned.

Indeed they were. They don't seem to have any answer to the Celtics' small ball at the moment. They can't double off Posey or House, so that lets Garnett, Pierce, and Allen do their thing with single coverage.

rockmanj
Sun, 06-15-2008, 12:05 AM
You know Bud, maybe your beginning of the season prediction was spot on...That was a hell of a comeback, and probably really demoralizing to LA. I mean Kobe will be alright, but the rest of the team's spirits are probably broken to pieces.

darkmetal505
Sun, 06-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Yeesh, this game had me on my heels. I want Lakers to take the next, but Celtics for the final 4-3 win.

rockmanj
Mon, 06-16-2008, 09:30 PM
The Lakers don't seem to have it in them to go into the Garden (or wherever the Celtics play...they change the name like every 2 years) and take those last 2 games, even though the C's have loads of injuries. They barley won that last game at home; and we all know how bad those LA fans are. The Garden is going to be insane, The C's are going to be fired up...I'm calling it now; Boston takes game 6. I mean, we've seen both teams blow leads, but the big thing is that LA blew that lead at home. And barely held on after leading by 18. Basically, I think Boston just wants it more.

Munsu
Tue, 06-17-2008, 10:59 PM
That was... embarassing.

17, bitches!!!

Idealistic
Tue, 06-17-2008, 11:12 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!

Celtics baby!

Eurasian
Tue, 06-17-2008, 11:16 PM
God freakin dammit......

It wasn't even close...

:mad:

Board of Command
Tue, 06-17-2008, 11:43 PM
I hate Boston and their ugly jerseys.

Munsu
Wed, 06-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Best moment of the series:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5KPJIAYzqwM

darkmetal505
Wed, 06-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Man, that was annihilation.

TwisT
Wed, 06-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Hell yeah! Celtics. \o/ \o/ \o/

rockmanj
Wed, 06-18-2008, 11:31 PM
I hate Boston and their ugly jerseys.

I respect your opinion, but i rather like the black and green jerseys (and I hate green usually)

Board of Command
Wed, 06-18-2008, 11:47 PM
I respect your opinion, but i rather like the black and green jerseys (and I hate green usually)
Their green/black jerseys are alright. I hate their regular green/white and white/green jerseys. They look like something the old dude at the YMCA would wear.

Their Italian alternative jersey looked really nice. They wore it in the preseason against Toronto.

Munsu
Fri, 06-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Well, the NBA Draft is just a week away or so... quite quick after the season is over.

This is a very deep draft from what I've seen. If your team doesn't get a quality player in the first round, then your GM sucks... it'll be very hard to not get some sort of contributor.