PDA

View Full Version : GW Radio

Dark_Sage
Tue, 10-23-2007, 06:37 PM
GW should really get a radio station. Have some DJs playing some decent songs and whatnot. People could listen to it streamed through winamp.

Don't ask me for a technical explanation. I've seen it implemented at other places, so it's not impossible.

Some of you may ask, "Ok, but why the hell would we need a radio station?"

Well that's simple - it's so I have something to do in IRC so I don't have to stare at a screen for hours on end while nobody says anything. Basically, it would give us all something to discuss besides the same old boring stuff.

Think about it: IRC sing-a-longs...Badass, right?

Spiegel
Tue, 10-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Your Idea is not new, We have done it before.

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=13904&highlight=Gotwoot+Radio

It is a good idea in theory, but we just have not had the support to really keep it going. Not many people would listen and it became a upon request type thing.

complich8
Tue, 10-23-2007, 09:33 PM
yup. been there, done that. I still have the icecast2 install sitting on the server, and the ices2 sources and various scripts and halfassed half-done web interface and management scripts sitting around on my personal fileserver.

I just finally turned off the daemon like ... last weekend.

Dark_Sage
Tue, 10-23-2007, 10:08 PM
To be fair, I did search the Suggestions forum to see if the idea had been suggested before.

Whatever, since the idea obviously died, feel free to lock this thread.

KitKat
Wed, 10-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Gotwoot radio was a lot of fun though! I really enjoyed my brief time djing, and listening to the varied music collections of some of the others. If there was enough interest, this wouldn't be that hard to bring back, would it, compy?

Assassin
Wed, 10-24-2007, 03:37 PM
I should think bringing it back should only be a matter of pushing a few buttons, so to speak. But ya, it never really caught on. I suppose its worth another try if enough people are interested.

complich8
Wed, 10-24-2007, 03:39 PM
pretty trivial, if the interest were there. But really, it was only consistently on when I was consistently feeding it, and with my current net connection I just don't have the upstream to make it happen.

Then, we never finished the request interface either.

Maybe when verizon extends FIOS to the gaithersburg side of rockville, and a good, free linux shoutcast source makes itself obvious.

Anyway, the playlist log shows the whole story: I turned off the auto-feeder May 31st when I moved out of my old apartment with the nice connection. Someone ran about 10 songs July 2nd, 30 or so July 3rd, 3 on July 28th, 2 on Aug 1, and 7 on Aug 9th. It'd been silent since.

Kraco
Wed, 10-24-2007, 04:01 PM
It was fun as long as it lasted. But it's the truth it requires a decent upstream even without a whole host of listeners (as you could expect from a gw radio).

animus
Wed, 10-24-2007, 05:07 PM
pretty trivial, if the interest were there. But really, it was only consistently on when I was consistently feeding it, and with my current net connection I just don't have the upstream to make it happen.

Then, we never finished the request interface either.

Maybe when verizon extends FIOS to the gaithersburg side of rockville, and a good, free linux shoutcast source makes itself obvious.

Anyway, the playlist log shows the whole story: I turned off the auto-feeder May 31st when I moved out of my old apartment with the nice connection. Someone ran about 10 songs July 2nd, 30 or so July 3rd, 3 on July 28th, 2 on Aug 1, and 7 on Aug 9th. It'd been silent since.

How much faster is FiOS than their regular DSL? I've been contemplating getting it, but been not wanting to get it if it costs too much extra. Regular Verizon DSL atleast in NYC blows huge nuts at times.

complich8
Wed, 10-24-2007, 11:05 PM
fios starts at 5/2, and only goes up from there. Max I know of are 20/20 and 50/10.

My old cable connection when I was feeding the radio all the time was 10/1, and was absurdly roomy in both directions.

My cable connection now is 5/384kbit, which is about the norm for a US cable connection.

US DSL connections typically start at 768kbit down, 128kbit up, and go up from there, depending on the provider, your distance from the POP, and how much you want to shell out for it. Some euro-DSL providers are up in the 50/15 range though.

Basically, in the US, DSL=slow, cable = medium, FIOS = fast.

(all speeds in megabits unless otherwise noted. 1 mbit = ~128KB/sec. 10mbit=1.25MByte/sec).

Spiegel
Thu, 10-25-2007, 12:27 AM
School internet is fast.... when the school lets you utilize it.... FiOS is good if you want it, even just the basic FiOS....

My internet right now, first test.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/195802477.png

A second test, same server:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/195802870.png