PDA

View Full Version : Naruto Shippuden Episode 31

mage
Thu, 10-18-2007, 10:25 PM
http://www.dattebayo.com/t/ns031.torrent

OOPS! I forgot to put "episode" in the title. Hope Bud got laid tonight.

fuck off.

animus
Thu, 10-18-2007, 10:57 PM
You missed an extra 'u' also :)

Yukimura
Thu, 10-18-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm so pissed of at the idea of Shippuuden nowadays I'm not even sure if I enjoyed that episode or not. It did feel more like Naruto than any Shippuden ep has for a while so maybe I did.

mage
Thu, 10-18-2007, 11:42 PM
I thought this episode was pretty good. Could've done without the flashbacks.

Next episode looks like shit.

LaZie
Thu, 10-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Love the new ending animation aside from the model poses of the new guy.

I thought this episode was good compared to last week's hour of crap.

Board of Command
Fri, 10-19-2007, 12:19 AM
Definitely one of the better episodes in the series so far. It was decent enough to make me post on the Naruto forum.

Narasho
Fri, 10-19-2007, 12:58 AM
Positives: Well drawn episode, and I especially enjoyed the animation and butterfly when Naruto was trying to save Gaara. The animation style reminded me of the first ending of the Naruto series, and was very nostalgic.

Negatives: Could've done without the flashbacks to the previous episode, and the two girls fighting over Gaara was stupid. The ninja crying with joy that Gaara was saved was a bit over the top too I felt.

All in all, this episode has greatly raised my hopes for future episodes in Shippuden.

mage
Fri, 10-19-2007, 01:11 AM
All in all, this episode has greatly raised my hopes for future episodes in Shippuden.
apparantly you didn't watch the next episode preview.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-19-2007, 03:51 AM
I...LOVED...this episode.

Even though I knew what was gonna happen before it even began, everything about the tone and mood of this episode was just perfect. I especially loved the little "Wind" tribute they were doing when Gaara was coming back to life.

I mean, the episode actually had an emotional impact on me in reguards to Chiyo's death, and I didn't care about her at all really.

The opening and ending really have me psyched too. I like the first new guy already(not the bare midriff, that's maximum gay) but apparently what I gather from the ending is he swears alot. And then the other new guy who's apparently an Anbu.

I dunno. This episode just made me happy.

Kraco
Fri, 10-19-2007, 04:21 AM
This was a decent episode but would have done better without the flashbacks and the crying ninja and the two girls, like Mage and Narasho said. Still, I'm almost surprised they actually managed to build some emotional impact for the geezer's death. I guess I had lost my faith in this series already...

RyougaZell
Fri, 10-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Wow... they totally ruined Matsuri's character with that cat-fight...

This episode was her first appearance on the manga... for those wondering why a character introduced in the past fillers was still around.

Overall good episode. New intro is somewhat acceptable visually, but the song... meh. I miss Hero's Come Back already. New ending song... I didn't notice it actually... I was too focused on the amazing animation.

Dark Dragon
Fri, 10-19-2007, 09:45 AM
This arc was hands down, the worst manga arc imo. It was bearable in the manga because you could simply take a 2 months break and then catch up at one time. The problem is the fact that the animation team felt the need to stretch almost every single chapter into a full episode.

At least it's over now, the manga storyline slowly pick up from here so Shippuden will eventually get better.

Crash
Fri, 10-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Best episode we've had in awhile, and probably one of the better episodes since Shippuuden started. As stated by others they did a good job with the mood setting and managed to give chyo's death an emotional impact, at least for me anyway.

Next episode looks like it's just going to be Gaara returns to the Sand village, people cheer, Naruto and Co. set off for home. Thats pretty much the standard fair at the end of an arc though, especially one where they are away from Konoha. Might not be crap as some people have said, but probably won't be anything to rave about either.

Kn1ves
Fri, 10-19-2007, 11:30 AM
that was a great episode.. i liked how naruto was clueless until the very end

masamuneehs
Fri, 10-19-2007, 12:26 PM
it was a pretty good episode. i still think it's lame as hell that they can't even kill off Gaara... I mean, it's the 3rd Hokage dead, and that's it for the good guys... Chiyo I suppose only half counts, since she appeared as a good guy, despite her past, and since at least she's worm food now...

*smiles at seeing the ED* sexy time!

Assertn
Fri, 10-19-2007, 02:14 PM
I think its lame that they give the highest budget to the episodes that have the least action in it.

Spiegel
Fri, 10-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Definitely one of the better episodes in the series so far. It was decent enough to make me post on the Naruto forum.

I have to say about the same, This is the first time in a while I have thought about posting in the forum about an episode.

I personally enjoyed the episode, it makes me happier about the series and gives me more hope for it as it has been fading for me for a while. I really enjoyed the new ending, The idea behind it is great and I think I will actually be watching the ending for a while now instead of just skipping over it.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Next episode looks like it's just going to be Gaara returns to the Sand village, people cheer, Naruto and Co. set off for home. Thats pretty much the standard fair at the end of an arc though, especially one where they are away from Konoha. Might not be crap as some people have said, but probably won't be anything to rave about either.I'm hoping at the very least the episode will show us what Gaara's status is, power-wise, now that he's lost Shukaku. I'm interested to know that.

I mean, he can't very well be Kazekage anymore if all he has are some basic ninja moves.

KrayZ33
Fri, 10-19-2007, 06:18 PM
this episode had some 'feeling' into it

animation was (very) good and i personally felt NEARLY like when Zabuza and Haku died... well ok there was a big gap but for some reason i still had the 'oh that poor guy/girl, your dead won't be meaningless' feeling.... this is something i missed back in the past...

the intro was fine 2 but the music sux.

but well i really bet(!) that the next episode will be crap like always, remember the first shit-puuden episode? great, REALLY great animation etc. and the rest simply sucked balls.
well now this episode was one of the better ones, so what will follow? 5-10 episodes full of shit and gayness, i suppose

if i look @ the spoiler of the next episode i can allready see that the animation goes back down to filler quallity (or even worse)...

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-19-2007, 08:25 PM
The thing that really hit home for this episode was the music in the second half. Sucked you in completely. Perhaps this is what they spent the last two weeks working on?

Tsunade:"Was it the right thing to do?" Err, got any other suggestions?

Temari hit the nail on the head regarding Konkuro's screen time and popularity, though I personally like his character.

DeathscytheVII
Fri, 10-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Now that was what shipuuden should be like. I actually really enjoyed this episode, its the first time i felt myself tearing up at Naruto since Haku's arc. Great stuff. The music in the second part, as mentioned earlier, was top notch.

It actually gave me more hope for this show. Maybe i'll stick around.

Abdula
Fri, 10-19-2007, 11:12 PM
I definitely enjoyed this episode there were very few things for me to criticize. That being said it tells you alot about the show when one of the best episodes so far was all dialogue and no action whatsoever. The music and animation was top notch makes me wonder who wasn't doing their job before. If this is what they can do after two weeks i wish they would just release the anime bi-weekly or take however much time they need so as not to lower the quality.

FullMetalAlchemist
Sat, 10-20-2007, 01:06 AM
Like someone stated earlier, this was one of the worst arcs in the manga for shippuden so just stick with it things willl get really better trust me. The animation for this episode was really good, from the characters to the sorroundings, everything was top notch. The only beef i had with this episode was the two girls acting like retards with garaa, and at the beginging some of the music was retarded but the second half music was great.

The outro is awesome music and animation wise. The intro music sucked the lyrics and sound of it was gay as hell. naked sasuke covered in snakes was kinda disturbing lol.

Crash
Sat, 10-20-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm hoping at the very least the episode will show us what Gaara's status is, power-wise, now that he's lost Shukaku. I'm interested to know that.

I mean, he can't very well be Kazekage anymore if all he has are some basic ninja moves.

True, but that would require that there be fighting of some sort. Judging from the preview it just didn't look like we would be seeing any. You're right though, he can't very well remain the Kazekage if he's no longer the strongest ninja in the village. Well, i suppose he could if they let him but it sure wouldn't make much sense.

Kraco
Sat, 10-20-2007, 11:16 AM
I wonder if that's even relevant. Gaara might want to hunt down the people who killed him instead of sitting in an office, anyway. I know I would...

Abdula
Sat, 10-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I don't see why you all seem to think that Gaara can no longer be Kazekage as far as i see it he is still the strongest ninja in the village. Its not as if he is Naruto who we all know is nothing without the Kyuubi, Gaara as far as i know stopped using the Ichibi's chakra a long time ago so although the sand he uses may still take the form of Shukaku its all Gaara. So while losing Shukaku may take some rapid healing abilities and he may not be able to replenish his chakra as quickly it doesn't affect his fighting style or strength whatsoever. In fact i think he is better off without it as he no longer has to worry about holding back or restraining himself for fear of releasing it.

Kraco
Sat, 10-20-2007, 12:23 PM
I very much doubt you are correct there. The whole idea of jinchuuriki was to seal bijuu inside people to create extraordinary fighters. If you were correct, it would be all a wasted effort and risk because it wouldn't give anything to the people. Not likely. Gaara will be significantly weaker.

In fact we don't even know how much he can use his old techniques without the beast. Naruto had few techniques that would have required the existence of the beast (mainly summoning Gamabunta, and even that he might now be able to perform without). Who knows how it will turn out. In any case Gaara's integration with his beast always seemed higher than Naruto's.

Abdula
Sat, 10-20-2007, 12:38 PM
I very much doubt you are correct there. The whole idea of jinchuuriki was to seal bijuu inside people to create extraordinary fighters. If you were correct, it would be all a wasted effort and risk because it wouldn't give anything to the people. Not likely. Gaara will be significantly weaker.

In fact we don't even know how much he can use his old techniques without the beast. Naruto had few techniques that would have required the existence of the beast (mainly summoning Gamabunta, and even that he might now be able to perform without). Who knows how it will turn out. In any case Gaara's integration with his beast always seemed higher than Naruto's.

That is my point. Naruto's reliance on the Kyuubi was merely to provide the raw chakra he required to perform his high level techniques. Gaara's relationship with Shukaku was way more complex because it was sealed within him before he was even born. My theory is that since then Gaara and Shukaku have spent 15+ years assimilating to each other and acquiring each other's abilities so at this point Gaara should be able to control the sand on his own and simply rely on the Shukaku merely for chakra. If that is the case with Shukaku gone Gaara should still have most of his techniques and only have lost the essential mass of chakra that was the Ichibi which could be compensated by him just training and increasing the amount of chakra his body is able to produce which should be easy since his body will be used to containing more chakra than any human could produce.

- Some idiot neg repped me claiming that my post at the top of this page is asking for more fillers. In case you can't read or don't comprehend English. I was simply suggesting that they release the anime every other week or twice a month if all they require to make a good episode is more time to work on it. I said nothing of more fillers as this method would also help to slow the anime down so they could use more chapters within each episode without worrying about catching up to the manga which would also reduce the need for fillers. So to whoever that person was " Have a nice Day!!!."

Assertn
Sun, 10-21-2007, 02:25 AM
I wonder if that's even relevant. Gaara might want to hunt down the people who killed him instead of sitting in an office, anyway. I know I would...
You mean the guy who was stabbed in the heart, or the guy who blew up?

Kraco
Sun, 10-21-2007, 02:31 AM
Heh. Well, let's say those would be a good seed money for him. Because technically speaking he was killed when the bijuu was extracted. That would make the whole bunch of Akatsuki his killers.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Well, if one Akatsuki could capture Gaara, and don't forget, Deidera was having trouble NOT killing him, then defeating the rest of the team of Akatsuki without his bijuu would seem very difficult. I can remember in past encounters between Gaara and his opponent, it's always been commented that the sand he carries around with him is mixed with his chakra. If we take that to mean his own, and not the bijuu's then Gaara will still be able to manipulate sand, though the effectiveness of it without the massive chakra boost is yet to be seen. One thing technique that Gaara would definitely lose is the sand's automatic defence. Unlike his sand control, which can be argued to require chakra alone, regardless of the source within Gaara, the defence sand moved without his conscious thought, and will protect him against his will. We can therefore deduce that it's not under his control, and losing the bijuu will also result in a loss of that technique. Not sure about the Shukaku absolute defence move, or the Spear of Shukaku move. (Is the spear even in the manga? We saw it in the last filler arc.)

Kraco
Sun, 10-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Well, if one Akatsuki could capture Gaara, and don't forget, Deidera was having trouble NOT killing him, then defeating the rest of the team of Akatsuki without his bijuu would seem very difficult.

Nah. Assassination is far easier than capturing someone alive and largely unharmed (unharmed enough not to be immediately life-threatening). Naruto might have troubles here because he practically never kills anybody, but Gaara is a real ninja who has no such weaknesses of the mind. Also, assassination is far easier than defending a whole city, which is what brought Gaara down. If he remains a ninja of any above average potential after losing the bijuu, he has what it takes to kill Akatsuki one by one.

Janusz
Sun, 10-21-2007, 02:23 PM
That is my point. Naruto's reliance on the Kyuubi was merely to provide the raw chakra he required to perform his high level techniques. Gaara's relationship with Shukaku was way more complex because it was sealed within him before he was even born. My theory is that since then Gaara and Shukaku have spent 15+ years assimilating to each other and acquiring each other's abilities so at this point Gaara should be able to control the sand on his own and simply rely on the Shukaku merely for chakra. If that is the case with Shukaku gone Gaara should still have most of his techniques and only have lost the essential mass of chakra that was the Ichibi which could be compensated by him just training and increasing the amount of chakra his body is able to produce which should be easy since his body will be used to containing more chakra than any human could produce.

AFAIK all we ever saw him do was manipulate sand, and he only got that power because of the Ichibi. Think about it. The sand came to his rescue again and again wether he wanted it to or not. Clearly this shows that the sand manipulating was not his own doing but something he gained from the Ichibi. Noone besides Gaara could even remotely manipulate the elements like him. Yeah they could do techniques using the elements (think 3rd vs. Orochimaru and Kakashi vs. Zabuza) but that was nowhere near Gaara's ability. So I think it's safe to say that that is not something you can just 'learn'. By all rights Gaara should be pretty worthless now.

Nah. Assassination is far easier than capturing someone alive and largely unharmed (unharmed enough not to be immediately life-threatening). Naruto might have troubles here because he practically never kills anybody, but Gaara is a real ninja who has no such weaknesses of the mind. Also, assassination is far easier than defending a whole city, which is what brought Gaara down. If he remains a ninja of any above average potential after losing the bijuu, he has what it takes to kill Akatsuki one by one.

I agree as far as the assassination / defending a city thing goes, but hunting down Akatsuki now is another story. Like I said, Gaara should be stripped of all his powers now.

Kraco
Sun, 10-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Like I said, Gaara should be stripped of all his powers now.

Well, we know nothing at all about Gaara's potential. Even Naruto, if he wasn't so bloody stupid, would still have quite a bit of potential without the beast. His own chakra pool is probably above average and he learns at least some straight-forward techniques fast so he has natural talent. It might take Gaara a few years to reach a suitable level but if he dedicated himself to transforming into an Akatsuki killing machine, he might be able to do it.

masamuneehs
Sun, 10-21-2007, 03:50 PM
i think janus has it right on the head. ALL of Gaara's techniques have been about manipulating sand, which has been implied to be a special trait he recieved because he had the Ichibi Bijuu sealed inside of him. With the bijuu gone, I doubt he'll be able to manipulate sand any more (especially not the high-speed sand or the instant defense that were particularly powerful).

Face it, Gaara without the Bijuu powers probably couldn't beat a decent Genin. We'll see if he retains some sand manipulation abilities, but if not, he's certainly one of the weakest Naruto characters now...

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-21-2007, 10:27 PM
It's pretty much agreed that the bijuu was required to learn Gaara's sand techniques. Now all we can do is wait and see if extraction of the bijuu will cause him to "unlearn" it.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Face it, Gaara without the Bijuu powers probably couldn't beat a decent Genin. We'll see if he retains some sand manipulation abilities, but if not, he's certainly one of the weakest Naruto characters now...Well, that one filler arc with Gaara in it showed that he's pretty decent with weapons. But then, that's filler so it doesn't really count.

Crash
Sun, 10-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Even if he still knows how to do it, it's use would be extremely limited for him. Without the bijuu his chakra capacity will be massively limited compared to what it was before. Unless he's taken the time to master a lot of good "normal" ninja techniques these last 3 years he's still not going to be that strong because trying to use his old sand tech's isn't going to be chakra efficient. Especially not against an Akatsuki. Hell no one so far has been strong enough to truly kill a member of that organization. Gaara got whooped by Deidara when he had a bijuu, then later Chiyo says Sasori let them kill him, and in the end Deidara held back all of Team Gai with no arms and exploded himself. I really just can't see Gaara being a large factor in the fight after this.

animus
Mon, 10-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Maybe he'll go and master the Third Kazekage's Ironsand. I don't think he had a bijuu in him, and it's probably close enough to his own sand, but a lot more dangerous potentially.

RyougaZell
Mon, 10-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Wasn't Sandaime Kazekage's ability a Kekkei Genkai?

Abdula
Mon, 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM
NO the Sandaime Kazegage's ability was not a Kekkei Genkai. His technique was very similar to the Shodai Hokage's in that it was a technique only he could perform it was not a Kekkei Genkai because like the Sharingan or Byakugan they would be passed on to their children and Tsunade does not posses the first abilities. This is one of the many things in Naruto that has never been explained.

For all you people who think that Gaara can no longer be the Kazekage I beg you to use whatever brains you have left. If he no longer had his abilities then everything Chiyo did and said about how Gaara as the Kazekage and Naruto as the future Hokage would change the relationship between the Leaf and the Sand and the ninja world as whole would be meaningless. I mean why give your life to save his if he doesn't have any of his abilities and can no longer control the sand or be the Kazekage it just makes no sense.

So whether you think its possible or even probable doesn't make a difference I can " Guaran Damn Tee " that Gaara is still the Kazekage and still has his abilities because if he doesn't Konoha trying to save him, Chiyo giving her life the save him, and all of Sunagakure coming to rescue him, the entire arc would be for nothing something i could see happening in Bleach but not in Naruto.

Janusz
Mon, 10-22-2007, 02:13 PM
That's just stupid. You shouldn't flamebait like that even if you have good arguments. There are lots of reasons to have the old hag do what she did and say what she said even if Gaara becomes powerless. First off, she could have just not realized he would become powerless. Or she could have seen the demoralizing impact Gaara's death would have had on the sand village. Or she could just have been suicidal after being forced to kill off her own grandson. Or maybe she wanted to save someone's life seeing how she was going to die anyway, be it because of the poison or of old age. Need I go on?

Besides, Konoha going on a rescue mission would not have been futile when they went as Gaara was still alive back then. And yeah cool people can die in Naruto too, remember the 3rd?

Abdula
Mon, 10-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Sure there are many reasons why Chiyo herself would have done it and although Gaara is one of my favorite characters his death was not surprising nor was it upsetting in fact I was more upset when they created some lame ass jutsu so they could bring him back to life which is not something I agree with or think should be happening within the Naruto world (Orochimaru). Now you have to remember that this is Naruto and Kishi would not have brought him back to life unless he intended to use him in some capacity in the near or perhaps distant future, that being said the character of Gaara would be completely different if not absolutely useless without his abilities.

P.S. I wasn't flaming.

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Mon, 10-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I liked this ep alot actually. Some of the older music, and the flashes where Gaara was waking up was very cool. I liked it alot.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Wasn't Sandaime Kazekage's ability a Kekkei Genkai?

I'm pretty sure it was a move only he could do. It wasn't a bloodline limit, it was his own special power. Though, bloodline limits have to start somewhere, so maybe if he lived longer and had descendants, they may also have this trait, making it truly a bloodline limit. From what we've been told though, no, it isn't.

DeathscytheVII
Tue, 10-23-2007, 01:55 AM
My opinion is that Gaara still has his control over sand. For one thing, unlike Naruto, Gaara was fused with his beast before he was born, and I'll go on a limb and quote fillers here, but didn't Gaara say he wasn't going to rely on the power of Shukaku anymore? I'm thinking that his ability to control sand is unique to him, a side effect of being fused with the bijuu, but just because its gone doesn't mean that it never happened to Gaara, I'm sure some influence/powers of Shukaku still remain in him.

masamuneehs
Tue, 10-23-2007, 02:08 AM
Gaara was infused with a Ichibi Bijuu before he was born.

Naruto was supposedly infused with a Kyuubi either before or directly after being born.

Considering the "gateway" to life is still very much the same openness from just being born to having just been recently born, I don't see why Naruto minus his powers (like Kisame and Itachi said when they came to kidnap him all that time ago) would be worthless. I count the same for Gaara.

Not saying Gaara couldn't learn how to be a decent shinobi, but he's always been so lopsidedly based around his Ichibi's gifts

sides:

Kyu = 9
Ichi = 1

Assertn
Tue, 10-23-2007, 02:47 AM
NO the Sandaime Kazegage's ability was not a Kekkei Genkai. His technique was very similar to the Shodai Hokage's in that it was a technique only he could perform it was not a Kekkei Genkai because like the Sharingan or Byakugan they would be passed on to their children and Tsunade does not posses the first abilities. This is one of the many things in Naruto that has never been explained.
That is indeed an interesting point...one that I had never really thought of much myself...
However an ability should not have to be passed down for it to be qualified as a bloodlimit. Perhaps it may be a little over-analyzing, but it seemed Haku's mother did not expect Haku to inherit her bloodlimit, even though it was a bloodlimit. Even more credible, perhaps, is the point that not all uchihas are capable of unlocking the Sharingan. So even if your parents are both uchihas, you still might not inherit their abilities. Just as the shodaime Hokage's kids didn't inhert his ability.

You could even go farther to observe a more rapid mutation/evolution effect occuring with the chakra characteristics of decendents. This happens to such a degree that certain abilities might only exist within single generations, and then could immediately be lost again through dominant/recessive relationships between their abilities and the abilities of their spouses. Considering the immense variety of distinctly unique jutsus out there, this would pretty much have to be certain.

Finally, Sandaime Kazekage's iron jutsu is a characteristic of his own natural chakra. This is why Sasori is able to harness the ability just by possessing sandaime's body. If the body makes all the difference, then what else could it be than genetic?

Abdula
Tue, 10-23-2007, 01:33 PM
That is indeed an interesting point...one that I had never really thought of much myself...
However an ability should not have to be passed down for it to be qualified as a bloodlimit. Perhaps it may be a little over-analyzing, but it seemed Haku's mother did not expect Haku to inherit her bloodlimit, even though it was a bloodlimit. Even more credible, perhaps, is the point that not all uchihas are capable of unlocking the Sharingan. So even if your parents are both uchihas, you still might not inherit their abilities. Just as the shodaime Hokage's kids didn't inhert his ability.

You could even go farther to observe a more rapid mutation/evolution effect occuring with the chakra characteristics of decendents. This happens to such a degree that certain abilities might only exist within single generations, and then could immediately be lost again through dominant/recessive relationships between their abilities and the abilities of their spouses. Considering the immense variety of distinctly unique jutsus out there, this would pretty much have to be certain.

Finally, Sandaime Kazekage's iron jutsu is a characteristic of his own natural chakra. This is why Sasori is able to harness the ability just by possessing sandaime's body. If the body makes all the difference, then what else could it be than genetic?

You make some incredibly valuable points. First off Haku's mother did not expect him to inherit her abilities because he was not a pure blood for lack of a better term, she apparently had not even considered the possibility that Haku might be able to inherit her bloodline limit without his father also possessing it.

The Uchiha’s bloodline limit seems to be in another league when compared to others. With the Hyuuga and Kaguya clans it appears that their Kekkei Genkai is a given and is automatically acquired by their children from either or both parents. The Uchiha’s abilities appear to necessitate both parents to be Uchiha’s similar to sickle cell anemia and many other genetic diseases but the offspring are only born with the potential to awaken the Sharingan. The awakening itself has special requirements, after the initial awakening there appear to be other requirements for each tomoe as evidenced by Sasuke in his battles with Haku, Lee and Naruto respectively. When the Sharingan is finally fully awakened then there are other special requirements that need to be met before the Mangekyo Sharingan can be acquired. The Sharingan also seems to be the only doujutsu that allows the user to turn it off when not in battle and the eye then returns to a “normal” state.

Kekkei Genkais as well as the Sandaime Kazekage and the Shodai Hokage’s abilities are all the result of genetic mutation and eventual evolution a subject which immensely interests me as I myself suffer from a yet to be named illness that appears to be the result of random genetic mutation within my family although I posses no superhuman abilities or positive side effects.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-24-2007, 03:26 AM
The Sharingan also seems to be the only doujutsu that allows the user to turn it off when not in battle and the eye then returns to a “normal” state.

You can also turn the Byakugan on and off. It's just that their "normal" state is pupilless, in which case, "normal" can be argued. Would one consider an albino normal? It IS a lack of colour pigment in the iris, but that's similar to the difference in melanocytes between races of people. That's considered to be "different", but yet normal.

Yukimura
Thu, 10-25-2007, 08:36 AM
I think what the most practical aspect of the ability the turn off an eye techniques is surprise. An enemy can look at a person and easily identify them as a byakugan user by their lack of pupils even if they aren't actively using the technique. For sharingan users however, their inactive eyes look just like people with no doujutsu ability at all so you wouldn't be able to tell if someone had the sharingan or not unless they were using it.

This is a benefit since you could lure over confident ninja into engaging you in a fight and then spring sharingan on them, see through their technique, and kick their ass. For the byakugan if the enemy saw it they might recognize it and be inclined to just run like hell and making it that much more difficult (or at least more time consuming) for a user to kill them.

@Abdula there have only been two eye techniques revealed so it doesn't make much sense to say sharingan seems to be the only one you can turn off, until we see a third both are equally likely to be the 'different' one.

Abdula
Thu, 10-25-2007, 10:51 AM
I

@Abdula there have only been two eye techniques revealed so it doesn't make much sense to say sharingan seems to be the only one you can turn off, until we see a third both are equally likely to be the 'different' one.

Choose you're words more carefully. Manga prophets are not well liked.
-Assassin

Assertn
Thu, 10-25-2007, 12:02 PM
This is a benefit since you could lure over confident ninja into engaging you in a fight and then spring sharingan on them, see through their technique, and kick their ass. For the byakugan if the enemy saw it they might recognize it and be inclined to just run like hell and making it that much more difficult (or at least more time consuming) for a user to kill them.

In theory, yes. However since there's only like....3 people left with sharingan, they're all pretty well known and recognizable at this point.

ASSpirine
Thu, 10-25-2007, 04:00 PM
They just don't learn. Flashbacks about things that occured in the same episode is just NOT DONE.
Do they think the viewers have a short term memory or what? That lost us some quality... Naruto air time

Yukimura
Thu, 10-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Removed

I know what you were getting at, the reason I edited my post was because I initially responded as if this was the manga board since you laid down such heavy innuendo. However I changed it because there is not supposed to be any mention or reference to things from the manga on the anime board.

@Assertn: Of course from a storyline perspective it's unlikely any significant enemy will ever be surprised or uninformed about a sharingan user, but from a general Narutoverse perspective there is obviously a tactical advantage to being able to conceal one's abilities until a time of one's own choosing.

RasenDori
Tue, 11-06-2007, 09:13 AM
In theory, yes. However since there's only like....3 people left with sharingan, they're all pretty well known and recognizable at this point.

and even before they were wiped out, they were all senseless enough to brand themselves with the uchiha logo