PDA

View Full Version : Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

isso
Wed, 04-19-2006, 08:21 AM
Alright after merging what would be my 5th or 6th thread into this thread for everyone I decided to stickie it for everyone to use as a resource. Add to it with your own queries about what you should watch and/or what you suggest to others.
-MOD

Hello, long time since I wrote something on Gotwoot, I have been busy at the Uni.

And btw I searched the forum for topics like this but I didn't found any (probably b-cuz im not used to this new forum and suck at searching)...

I was wondering, since naruto is gay-ass boring with the fillers and al, and bleach is showing fillers to, though they are better, not rasengan-nuddles..

I was wondering if theres any new shows out there worth watching?

I prefer feudel japan, samurais, ninjas and shit like that, but I also like Mecha like I've seen Gundam and so on and love it!

These I have already seen:
Neon genesis evangelion
Gundam seed + destiny
Beserk
Naruto (still watching)
Ruroni kenshin
Full metal alchemist (probably the only one in the world that thought it sucked)
Bleach (still watching)
Ninja scrolls
Shuzuka (dunno why since this sseries is completly not me.. lol)
Blue Gender
Full metal panic + second raid + fumoffo
Hellsing
s-CRY-ed
Samurai deeper kyo
cowboy bebop
Tenjou tenge
and my favorite...
:eek:
BASILISK:D

Are there any good anmies thats simular to these perhaps, or is there ones totally diffrent but anyway reallt cool.. :)

I hate anime with cute girls being ninjas and shit thats just to much crap.. lol :p

Honoko
Wed, 04-19-2006, 08:27 AM
I happened to enjoy a lot of the stuff you listed there so....

Samurai Champloo, if you can get your hands on that. It's about 2 swordsmen and a girl looking for someone in feudal Japan but with a modern twist on everything.

And there's always Hajime no Ippo! :D Anime about boxing but it's a cut above most sports animes in terms of personalities, character development, humor, and the occasional drama.

isso
Wed, 04-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Hmm, samurai champloo, sounds great, lookin into that..
:D

No other series thats on now thats great?

Honoko
Wed, 04-19-2006, 09:41 AM
If you're looking for something more current, I'd suggest just browsing through the more active threads going on now and see if any of those catch your interest. Usually on the first post of the thread there's gonna be a link/quote on what the anime's about.

I really recommend Ippo to you though. It's got all the elements that makes shounen series appealing: the apparent underdog, fights, the process of levelling up, more fights, etc. If a girl like me can actually like an anime about boxing (a sport I never had much interest in), I think that's saying alot :p You won't regret picking it up. You can even find the torrent for the entire series at BoxTorrents, I think. C'mon, Isso, I'm trying to pique your curiousity here. Is it working?

AlterEgox5
Wed, 04-19-2006, 10:14 AM
I agree with Honko on Samurai Champloo - I absolutely love that series and have the whole thing, though I do enjoy it in English too actually.

And though I haven't seen enough of it to make a decent recommendation, maybe Samurai 7. Sort of a mix of future-style (robots, airships) and samurai. Interesting so far (heh, unless someone comes on here and says it blows...I'll still watch it to find out myself, but oh well).

And as they say in Monty Python, "And now for something completely different." For something absolutely pointless and ridiculous, Dragon Half. Only two eps, basically useless, but pretty damn funny all the same just because it's so stupid.

Kraco
Wed, 04-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Samurai 7 was a fine series. All the better if you have seen the original Kurosawa movie (despite the vast differences).

isso
Wed, 04-19-2006, 10:41 AM
I had an acoount at boxtorrent before.. hopefully it's still there... :confused:

Anyways, Samurai 7 sounds cool.. Going to look that up..

Ippo you say, hmmm, your arguments are quite solid, have to look it up.. look a couple of eps and then decide if to continue!

:D

MOOOORE people.. mooore... I've been gone from anime for 3 months, exept naruto and bleach, oh and a couple of 0083 gundam episodes.. lol :D

Honoko
Wed, 04-19-2006, 10:57 AM
I can't believe I forgot about this one: KARAS! Futuristic ninjas. 'Nuff said. 6 eps total. Anime Kraze has dubbed 3 so far. Definitely a must see. There's a thread on this one right now. I think Bud recently updated it with the latest torrent? I have memory like a goldfish.

Munsu
Wed, 04-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Before going into all these cool series that have been mentioned, you first have to take care of the Shounen must see's.

Hunter X Hunter and One Piece, after that you can go and watch all the other series that have been mentioned, Hajime no Ippo especially.

isso
Wed, 04-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Before going into all these cool series that have been mentioned, you first have to take care of the Shounen must see's.

Hunter X Hunter and One Piece, after that you can go and watch all the other series that have been mentioned, Hajime no Ippo especially.

I aint watching One peice.. Have tried before but failed... It's so... so... so good if you are 5 years old.. I just think it aint good, have tried, but sorry! :(

Swimmerdude
Wed, 04-19-2006, 11:47 AM
I would definitely go with Monster its not like many of the ones you've seen but after a few eps you get hooked and I also second Hunter X Hunter.

IFHTT
Wed, 04-19-2006, 11:55 AM
You must have watched the One Piece dub. Don't. It's a mass of shit. Watch the subs and you'll see why it's badass.

Honoko
Wed, 04-19-2006, 12:03 PM
One Piece is one of those anime series where the longer you stick with it, the greater the payoff. How many eps did you watch before you quit? If it's less than 20 then you should try it again.

(Good reminders, Bud)

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-19-2006, 12:20 PM
You may also want to check out Air Master and Ikkitousen. Both of them are street brawling series. They's older titles, so they don't look shiny and polished, but definitely worth a look judging from your list. Air Master has some of the most brutal street fights without excessive amounts of blood (there is considerably little for how violent the fights are portrayed).

Since you did like Suzuka (I'm assuming Shuzuka = Suzuka), you may also want to look into Kimagure Orange Road. It is an old title (80's), and probably would be pretty hard to find, but it's got a very similar style to the story.

Of the new series, you may want to try out Himawari! It just started, so none of us know how it will turn out, but it comes off to me as a Fumoffu meets Naruto.

t1no
Wed, 04-19-2006, 02:03 PM

They stopped subbing Hajime no Ippo a long time ago?

AlterEgox5
Wed, 04-19-2006, 11:31 PM
My lil sis has been watching One Piece but I just can't get into it either - to each his own I guess. And yeah, I do kinda wanna see Kurosawa's stuff too but might have to do that later on...heh, reminds me of how my mom and I used to watch The Magnificent Seven...still dunno why they took that show off the air, I thought it was good. Now I know where it came from tho.

Yukimura
Thu, 04-20-2006, 07:27 AM
You might like GetBackers, esp if you liked s-Cry-ed, though I haven't seen it all so I can't vouch for it completely. Might as well throw in Inuyasha for fun. Neither is as extravagent as some of these other suggestions, but popularity is often a good sign. If you can stand the girls My Hime is good , and definately Ghost in the Shell

As to One Piece, whatever they did to it for the dub I can't imagine how this show is so popular with so many in subbed form, how much could they change a good show and make it as look as bad as the One Piece dub looks and still have something to show? The dub tends to hold my interest when I see it, but it also sucks and makes me wish anything else I'd willingly watch were on.

DDBen
Fri, 04-21-2006, 02:23 AM
Well in defence of one piece I'll name a few of the changes done for the dub. Please note the dub is a horrible piece of garbage that is beyond redemption while post Buggy the Dub is a very good series.

1:First ALL of the voices are just plain terrible in the dub to the1 point of wanting to rip your ears off.
2:Changing the Marines guns to super soakers and popguns and calling them the Navy.
3: Renaming Zoro to Zolo and Luffy D Monkey to Loofy D Monkey.
4: Changing sanji's cigarette into a lollypop and Smoker having his cigars removed entirely while they leave the smoke and nake him Chaser.
5: removing all of the blood and destroying basically every fight scene as a result.

The series is definatly odd but its about as much a kids show as Hunter X Hunter and despite how they look in general they are very adult.

If you watch Getbackers abort viewing at 26 while the show is still good and do not finish it.

Also try out Fate/Stay Night you would almost definatly enjoy it and its still running.

Terracosmo
Fri, 04-21-2006, 03:54 AM
I aint watching One peice.. Have tried before but failed... It's so... so... so good if you are 5 years old.. I just think it aint good, have tried, but sorry! :(

What the fuck! It isn't anymore "good if you are 5 years old" than Naruto is..

Give it another try.
I had to watch like 10 eps and listen to several openings to really get obsessed with it.

isso
Sat, 04-22-2006, 05:26 AM
Yupp I agree, naruto have become so unmature and silly these last 20 eps so it's comparable to the eps of One peice I saw.:(

But It hasn't been like that before, I remember Naruto when it was a great show, when the eps had meaning and intension, not rasenganing nuddles in a cook off..:mad:

But as I said, one peice aint my thing, sorry girls and lads, it's just like that!

But I want to thank you, I will have a look at these and perhaps they will catch my interest..;)

By the way Aint no good mecha series in the near future, like gundam, macross or summtin? :confused:

lol :D

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-22-2006, 05:56 AM
Oh. I guess we all totally neglected mecha. You seemed to focus more on the ninja/martial arts/fighting and other shonen series like that.

The only recent mecha of any decent quality as far as I'm concerned is Eureka 7. It isn't constant use of it mind you, there's a lot more character development and other plotlines. The mecha in it seems more like a side story, its there, but the focus is not on it all the time.

Definitely worth the watch though, an excellent series.

You could also try the 13 eps series Jinki:Extend from a year or two back but it's fairly mediocre. I enjoyed it, but there are better series out there.

DDBen
Sat, 04-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Mecha shows have sucked or not existed for quite a while now so there is really nothing new to offer. If you want Macros you have Macross Zero but thats only 5 extended episodes given the art in it is great but its just the same old plot wise.

Gundam Seed Destiny was a trainwreck and if you liked that you might like Eureka 7 as stated, but thats about all I can manage that isn't on your list already. Unless you want random transformers series or dubbed Power Rangers stuff which is rather unlikely.

isso
Sun, 04-23-2006, 03:27 AM
No power rangers and transformers for me!

I will check out this Eureka 7!

Thanks once more! :D

SPIKE_MILLENNIUM
Sun, 04-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Ok peeps, I need help on taking in a new anime. I like anime that has some of everything... not like the dragonball series where there's too much fight and no story and not like one piece which is the most childish fucken show. Tenjou tenge was too short so i need something with at least 50 eps. I watched Naruto and Bleach which were both great, unfortunately because of the childish fillers, Naruto no longer interests me. What should I watch next? Full metal? What's Kyou Kara Maou like? I wouldn't mind an anime without the weird japanese humor either. So, a very serious anime isn't a bad thing. I JUST WANT SOMETHING GOOD before i flip out man!! Because regular TV sucks ASS!!!

A nice topic, but someone already has a topic just like it here. I'm merging your post with this thread, instead of locking or deleting it because you're new. Please don't make this a habit or a ban may be used to enforce those rules you argreed to when you started posting here.

User Warned

darkmetal505
Sun, 04-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Full Metal Alchemist seems to be the one that fits your constrictions. One Piece isn't childish, though it might be more on the the humorous side.

The Crimson
Mon, 04-24-2006, 12:02 AM
anyone ever seen golden boy?
thers one for ya

Honoko
Mon, 04-24-2006, 12:29 AM
Golden Boy's good due to its sheer hilarity. Guys probably appreciate the massive fan service that abounds in this very short series (5 or 6 eps) =P I remember watching this and nearly fell out of my chair during the.... second ep, I think. It's the one where he's led by the hand by some rich student and.... =X

FrogKing
Mon, 04-24-2006, 12:37 AM
As per the One Piece discussion, I would refer you to this thread:
http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=12877
It goes over some key reasons why people like it so much and why. Many people seemed to have had go to at least the Arlong Ark before really enjoying (I for 1). Give it a shot and you'll really like it.

xDarkMaster
Fri, 04-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Recently I have been looking for some new shows to watch and I have found a few that I'm not sure about, so I thought you guys could help me out.

Are any of these shows, in your opinion, a MUST see (or atleast up there with the great ones) and why? Or, should I avoid one?

Outlaw Star
Monster
.Hack//SIGN
Hunter x Hunter

I realize Hunter x Hunter and Monster are very popular but with my limited space I am wondering if I "have to" download them.

Thanks in advance,
xDM

Honoko
Fri, 04-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Haven't seen the first three... so I can only highly recommend HxH :) It's a great series and slightly atypical to most shounen types. The main character can display some idiocy but has never turned stupid in a fight (*cough*naruto*cough). Battle tactics there are usually pretty well thought out.

I've been wanting to see Outlaw Star for a while now though. Tried to download the series once but turned out there was no subs to it. So I haven't bothered to try too hard looking for it again =P So if you ever get your hands on it, lemme know how it is :D

mage
Fri, 04-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Gankutsuou. This is the BEST anime I have ever seen.

Planetes and Infinite Ryvius are two other very good ones. These three series have the most realistic characters in any anime I've seen.

Swimmerdude
Sat, 04-29-2006, 12:58 AM
DM all of those are very good but Monster is a must see, it is easily one of the best animes ever. Yes, I know very big words but trust me you won't be sorry and it is well worth the HD space.

Munsu
Sat, 04-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Recently I have been looking for some new shows to watch and I have found a few that I'm not sure about, so I thought you guys could help me out.

Are any of these shows, in your opinion, a MUST see (or atleast up there with the great ones) and why? Or, should I avoid one?

Outlaw Star
Monster
.Hack//SIGN
Hunter x Hunter

I realize Hunter x Hunter and Monster are very popular but with my limited space I am wondering if I "have to" download them.

Thanks in advance,
xDM
HxH and Monster are must downloads. Enough said.

Kraco
Sat, 04-29-2006, 02:55 AM

Outlaw Star
Monster
.Hack//SIGN
Hunter x Hunter

In accordance with what Bud said, HxH is a series comparable to Naruto, and thus you could call it a must download. Monster is a must if you like totally realistic murder / psycho (not Hollywood style) mysteries. Outlaw Star is a very good example of a rugged space flight scifi series that's quite similar to Firefly. In my opinion it was a very good series, and well worth downloading, although I don't know if it's a must.

.Hack//SIGN is a bloody boring anime, but I guess it has its supporters. But most likely if you are so bored that you download .Hack//SIGN, you will be even more bored after watching it. Well, to be honest I haven't watched but 4 or 5 episodes from the beginning, before I got fed up with the odd characters and their odder behaviors. Every single one of them behave as if they were happily stoned, and thus any action is such a bother to initiate... Maybe I will finish it some day. Who knows.

GhostKaGe
Sat, 04-29-2006, 03:23 AM
i recommend that like myself you just give up anime and focus all your time on manga

But HxH is good

xDarkMaster
Sat, 04-29-2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks a lot guys, I'll be sure to download HxH and Monster (even though I don't know if I'm into the whole murder thing). I'll consider Outlaw Star and probably won't download .Hack//Sign unless someone tells me otherwise.

Assassin
Sat, 04-29-2006, 09:16 AM
.Hack//Sign is not too bad, but the pacing is slow...like SLOW. If you can download all the eps and watch them in one sitting, then you mite enjoy it. Otherwise you'll probably get bored. But it does have awesome music, so you should definately get the soundtrack.

The Crimson
Sun, 04-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Anyone ever see all of Mouse? i liked that series though it was very short. and the english voice acting was bad. but it had an awesome plot.

Bread-sama
Mon, 05-01-2006, 02:13 AM
Monster
One Piece
Yakitate Japan
Ray The Animation
Planetes

This is my TOP 5 series :D.

xDarkMaster
Sat, 05-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Once again, I must ask for your opinions

Ghost in the Shell
Full Metal Panic
GunGrave
Berserk
Hellsing

I realize these might seem like classics to a lot of you but with my even more limited space I am wondering if I "have to" download them.

Thanks in advance,
xDM

masamuneehs
Sat, 05-13-2006, 07:53 AM

Ghost in the Shell
Full Metal Panic
GunGrave
Berserk
Hellsing

I never ever liked Hellsing, not even a little bit...
Ghost in the Shell is good, but not a MUST.
Full Metal Panic: I'm in the minority on this one.... It's a show lots of people say is great and especially hilarious, but I found it to be pretty weak and hardly funny at all.

Gungrave: I still cry when I watch some of these episodes. The most moving 'gangster' anime I think I've ever seen. Awesome action, great characters, powerful and gritty. But yes, some people don't like the direction it goes at the end, but I found it to be just the further progression of 'dehumanizing' that the show started out with anyway.

Berserk: Watch this show. Delete the episodes. (can even do this as you go through the episodes, saving considerable space) This show is older and it really shows (at least on the version I watched). But I highly highly recommend it. Why?

Because after you watch it you'll be hungry to enter the absolute awesomness that is Berserk the manga. Best. Manga. Ever.
But you might say: I don't read/like manga!
You will after you start reading the Berserk manga.

Kraco
Sat, 05-13-2006, 07:55 AM
Ghost in the Shell:
This is a must see if you care at all about cyberpunk. Both seasons of the series are really excellent. And made for more older audience than simple shounen. They have surprisingly lots of dialogue, and the philosophy is often not empty chatter at all. I consider this a must.

Full Metal Panic:
Truly excellent series. Three or two and a half seasons, as the Fumoffu between the two is kind of like what you dream fillers would be for every series (well, technically Fumoffu wasn't a filler, because it had a real source, but it didn't advance the greater plot). Magnificient mecha action and great characters. And the second season had some of the best character development I have seen in anime; it succeeded in what most series totally fail. A must.

Berserk:
If you haven't seen this, then there's only one thing to say: What are you waiting for? This is one of the best anime series ever made. Along with Elfen Lied it holds the top positions on my list. A must must must.

GunGrave & Hellsing: These two I haven't seen, myself, so I'm as much in the dark as you are...

xDarkMaster
Sat, 05-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks Masa and Kraco! Helpful as usual. I think I will watch GITS, FMP, and possibly Berserk now. Still not sure about Gungrave and Hellsing though.

Lucifus
Sat, 05-13-2006, 02:35 PM
I've heard of Beserk before, never seen it before, and if it can even be compared to Elfen Lied, then I'm pretty sure its worth watching. I'll check it out, thanks to both Kraco and Masa, lol.:rolleyes:

masamuneehs
Sat, 05-13-2006, 03:35 PM
wow Kraco if you liked Berserk the show that much you'll be in perpetual orgasm while reading the Berserk manga...

For those who don't know Berserk the anime is 25 episodes long and only covers the first 13 volumes of the manga, leaving out several chapters (i think an entire volume is left out actually...), covering the "Black Swordsman" and "Golden Age" arcs.
The manga is currently in volume 31

If we're on a scale of 10, I give Berserk the anime a 8.8-9.1
If we're on a scale of 10, Berserk the manga is off the scale. It is that good.

And again, I couldn't be more enthusiastic about people watching Gungrave. You will not regret it.

Kraco
Sat, 05-13-2006, 04:08 PM
And again, I couldn't be more enthusiastic about people watching Gungrave. You will not regret it.

Alright. You convinced me. I got the .torrent, but won't start it before I finish downloading Goldenboy...

xDarkMaster
Sat, 05-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Kraco, tell me what you think about it when you finish or feel you have an opinion on the anime. I have to finish rewatching Kenshin before starting something.

Kraco
Mon, 05-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Golden Boy's good due to its sheer hilarity. Guys probably appreciate the massive fan service that abounds in this very short series (5 or 6 eps) =P I remember watching this and nearly fell out of my chair during the.... second ep, I think. It's the one where he's led by the hand by some rich student and.... =X

Now I know exactly what you meant by nearly falling out of your chair. Damn this show is crazy. The fanservive is also purely humorous most of the time. Thanks, I probably wouldn't have sought out this series without that post of yours.

Honoko
Mon, 05-15-2006, 03:37 PM
^ I'm glad you enjoyed it. Benkyobenkyobenkyobenkyobenkyo..... :p

PS: i would rep you, Kraco, if I hadn't given you one recently just a short while ago. This has been happening a lot to me lately. Apparently, I only consistently like the posts of a select handful of GWers that would inspire me to hand out positive reps. Must try to be more open-minded?

Kraco
Wed, 05-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Kraco, tell me what you think about it when you finish or feel you have an opinion on the anime. I have to finish rewatching Kenshin before starting something.

I have watched half of Gungrave now, and it looks like a really good show, technically and artistically. The slightly autistic main character needs some getting used to, but after a while he starts to seem even a bit cool because of his tendencies. The plot is excellent, so far, and so are the characters. There are quite a few of those, but the important ones have fine personalities, not to mention voice actors (there are voices to recognize here, names such as Kikuko Inoue and others with resumes as thick as a phone book...).

This series can certainly be recommended. Well, I haven't seen the latter half yet, but I would be surprised if it wasn't just as exquisite as the first half.

DDBen
Wed, 05-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Ghost in the Shell
Full Metal Panic
GunGrave
Berserk
Hellsing

I'm a bit late but I'll throw in my 2 cents on these series atleast.

First off I'm not a Ghost in the Shell Fan so for that one listen to those who enjoy the series as I simply have never liked any of it.

Full Metal Panic: This series is a lot of fun but the first season a lot of people feel starts off increadably but they just didn't care for the supposidly weak ending. I for one really enjoyed the series and I do own it on DVD its certainly worth watching but of all the FMP series so far Fumofuu is simply the most fun and will keep you laughing your ass off the whole time. FMP the initial 24 episode series is good and worth watching but as stated the ending doesn't really live upto the quality of the first 7 or so episodes and it really changes gears in the middle. FMP The Second Raid is Ultraviolent I wouldn't watch it if your squemish but overall its definatly worth watching if your ok with that.

Overall: Very enjoyable series and one of my favorites but all 3 series are very differn't experiences so make sure your taste matches the ones you choose to watch.

Gungrave is absolutely amazing and I must say that it came out of nowhere and impressed me with the depth of characters and action this is definatly a must watch without question.

Overall: Highly recommended

Berserk is one of my favorite animes, but with that said it ends abruptly and you will find you have to read the manga if you watch the series. The manga is INCREADABLY dark and ruthless but its simply the best Manga I've ever personally read. The Series is once again very gorey but it doesn't stand on its own and so far there is no second part. So the verdict for me is only watch it if your willing to then read 30+ volumes of manga at 200+ pages a piece.

Overall: Recommended but Very Highly recommended if you are also willing to download and read the manga.

Hellsing: I really like this series and its rather short at only 13 episodes. Also so far the OAV's they have been releasing are just rehashed more adult versions of the 13 episode series so there is no need to really download both versions of this. Honestly I enjoyed it and even if you get the dub its still very well done as all the voice actors are of the correct nationalities and it just works in this case. I would certainly give this a shot but once again be ready for a series that doesn't really end and in this case I'm not sure the manga continues it if you want more.

Overall: Highly recommended (even if its the dub)

xDarkMaster
Wed, 05-17-2006, 10:15 PM
@Kraco: Thanks for the info, I will be sure to try and watch it i I have the time/space.

@DDBen: Not late at all and your opinions and comments are appreciated. I will certainly take into account what you said.

Board of Command
Wed, 05-17-2006, 11:50 PM
I have watched half of Gungrave now.................
Trust me, you haven't see NOTHING yet! Gungrave quite easily has one of the best endings in all of anime. For every 10 series, 9 ending make you want to strangle yourself. Well, Gungrave is the odd one out.

Swimmerdude
Thu, 05-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Hellsing: I really like this series and its rather short at only 13 episodes. Also so far the OAV's they have been releasing are just rehashed more adult versions of the 13 episode series so there is no need to really download both versions of this.

Actually the OAV will be following the manga, and anyone who has read the manga the knows that the TV Series didn't even touch the main story line. The only problem with theOVA will be is that each episode will take a few months to come out. I love the manga, so if OVA follows the manga like they say it will then be an awsome and highly recommended.

Ryllharu
Thu, 05-18-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm actually quite fond of both as they are. I know the original series didn't follow the manga at all, but I was happy with the result, until the last eps or two. I liked how they fleshed out Ceres a lot more in the original series, really giving her a conflict about what she had become. When the priest shows up and she has the option of freeing herself, the manga and the OVA barely glance at it. She doesn't go for it and Alucard calls her stupid, end of it. They added a lot to it in the original series.

The series gives off the effect that Alucard is an unknowable force, and also a bit of a father figure to Ceres and even a little bit to Integra. The OVA is centered on him a lot more.

They give off a complete picture from two very different points of view. To Alucard, Ceres is an idiot and totally naive, expressed in the OVA. To Ceres, Alucard is the direct embodiment of what she's becoming, and in a way, a second father to replace the one she lost long ago. Expressed in the series, she becomes proud of what she's become.

If you like one, I think you absolutely must watch both.

Kraco
Thu, 05-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Trust me, you haven't see NOTHING yet! Gungrave quite easily has one of the best endings in all of anime. For every 10 series, 9 ending make you want to strangle yourself. Well, Gungrave is the odd one out.

You are absolutely right. It was truly an excellent ending. Equal to Elfen Lied. And an outstanding series altogether. It's always nice to encounter animes like this. What weaknesses it had were minor and easily forgiven. And like you said, even in a greater sense, rare shows are such that you can completely accept them, without some nagging things would would have liked otherwise..

Honoko
Thu, 05-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Now you've got me intrigued about Gungrave. Perhaps I'll give that a shot soon.

Assassin
Fri, 05-19-2006, 01:43 AM
Yep, gungrave is a great series, so give it a shot as soon as possible. And i have to agree the ending is beautiful.

How is Planetes though? i downloaded the first ep when it came out, but it didn't really interest me. Something about cleaning up space debris or something if i remember correctly.

Now that summer has started (well it started 3 weeks ago) i've been meaning to watch a few series. Heres what i had in mind, tell me if they're any good.

Gun x Sword (getting the first ep as we speak)
Hajime no Ippo
One Piece (i've seen the dubbed version, and awful VA's aside, i dont see whats the big fuss. But im willing to give it a a shot just because of the sheer popularity of it)
Full Metal Panic, original and Fumouffo (sp)

Munsu
Fri, 05-19-2006, 02:01 AM
From the ones you mention, Planet ES, Hajime no Ippo, One Piece, and FMP are great and all should be watched whenever possible. Don't know about Gun X Sword, it has a couple of great episodes, but many boring ones... plus some characters just suck. It has great action though.

Kraco
Fri, 05-19-2006, 02:53 AM
How is Planetes though? i downloaded the first ep when it came out, but it didn't really interest me. Something about cleaning up space debris or something if i remember correctly.

Somebody here convinced me to watch PlanetES earlier, sometime (yeah, my memory is so great). The show changes quite a bit after around episode 10. So, the first 10 episodes are quite tranquil. I suppose not all people would find that pleasing or interesting, but for some reason I didn't mind them at all, even if I had to admit the show got better after the mentioned milestone. Well, it isn't actually a legendary series, but it was fine and worth watching.

Ryllharu
Fri, 05-19-2006, 05:37 AM
I really enjoyed PlanetES, because I've always been interested in space and space travel, and it really presents one of the most believable scenarios for the future. The series gets off to a slow start, but really picks up. The whole series is mostly just character development, but it does a great job at it. If you've always liked space (real space, not space opera anime) you'll like it. It's really an anime you'll either like or hate depending on your interests.

One Piece takes a huge commitment. (Following is on the sub, the 4kids hacked apart versions are unquestionably unwatchable). I downloaded the first 20 eps or so, but I realized that I just wouldn't be able to keep with it. It never really caught me, but from what I understand its really good. If you can commit yourself to watching it, you'll like it. Everyone I know who watches it is a fanatic about it. All it takes is that one push.

Hajime no Ippo is exactly the same.

The FMP series' are highly recommended, the perfect balance of comedy and action when you watch all of them.

GunXSword is a totally forgettable series. I'd say don't waste your time with that one.

xDarkMaster
Fri, 05-19-2006, 03:59 PM
One Piece DUB doesn't do it justice. I'll admit, the first episodes are slow, however, the series is great. The characters and story are all well done, and once you start to see the Straw Hat crew develop, you will really become attached to them.

Hakeem_21
Sun, 05-21-2006, 07:22 PM
I need some help i feel like i missed some good shows in the winter season. Are there some great ones from that season shoulndt be missed?

Board of Command
Sun, 05-21-2006, 08:02 PM
There wasn't a lot of stuff for the winter season, but right now there are lots. Take a look at my sig. I guess you can call Fate/stay Night a winter series because it started in December/January and will be ending soon. School Rumble 2, Ergo Proxy and Black Lagoon are probably the top series ATM. Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi is a pretty interesting series, good for light viewing. I just started Utawarerumono (haven't watched any yet actually) so I can't comment on that.

One Piece takes a huge commitment. (Following is on the sub, the 4kids hacked apart versions are unquestionably unwatchable). I downloaded the first 20 eps or so, but I realized that I just wouldn't be able to keep with it. It never really caught me, but from what I understand its really good. If you can commit yourself to watching it, you'll like it. Everyone I know who watches it is a fanatic about it. All it takes is that one push.
I watched up to episode 130 something and stopped there. It feels like it was never going to end, which isn't a bad thing because the series is amazing. It's just too long.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-21-2006, 08:05 PM
The two seasons of ARIA are worth a try if you haven't seen them.

Also if you haven't started these, they are worth a try (popular titles, all still ongoing):
Eureka 7
Blood+
Fate/Stay Night

Solty Rei and Karin were also decent series from last season. REC was a short series that was enjoyable, but be sure to find the versions with the highest video quality (as several groups used webcast raws). Shakugan no Shana is also not a bad choice, though it has a particularly slow start.

Hakeem_21
Sun, 05-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Eureka seven and fate night i remember wanting to try but forget.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Of the new season i like Kiba,Witchblade,Black Lagoon and my fav of all comedy animes school rumble.

Darknodin
Mon, 05-22-2006, 02:11 AM
This thread is actually really cool... since you can browse through it every now and then and find interesting shows you haven't watched... maybe the title should be changed to "which anime should you watch" to make it more general? and stickyed? although its not really structured... but seriously... its a nice thread.

LobsterMagnet
Wed, 05-24-2006, 12:56 AM
With both bleach and naruto stuck in an unending cycle of perpetual fillers, I need something new and different to watch. Are there any new anime series that are really worth watching. I know there are all kinds of new series that premiere but I really don't want to filter through a bunch of crap with gun bunnies or giant robots or any of the other sterotypical traits normally associated with anime. If any of you have something to good to recommend please post the name of the series as well as brief synopsis of the plots and themes and ongoing storyline.

Wow, seriously the thread you could have posted this in isn't even off the first page yet. How you missed it is beyond me.

Thread Merged, User Warned

Chaos
Wed, 05-24-2006, 12:58 AM
http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=13136

masamuneehs
Wed, 05-24-2006, 07:39 AM
recommended for generic anime newb (and Narutards):
Eureka7, Blood+ (it's damn good right now), FMA if you haven't seen it

For those sick of typical action animes:
Monster, Mushishi, Melancholy of Haruhi

Care to gamble with a new show?
Utawarerumono, Zegapain, Black Lagoon

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-24-2006, 09:48 AM
I'd add The Third: Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo to the gamble with a new show catagory. Even at just three eps (Ayu is slow, but does quality work), the series is showing considerable promise. Neat swordmanship, desert tanks, robots, freaky powers, it seems to have it all. Even does a good job at mixing in humor.

6Zabuza9
Thu, 05-25-2006, 12:31 AM
just watched gungrave and found it amazing!!!!, is there any other anime which is somehow like gungrave

masamuneehs
Thu, 05-25-2006, 02:01 AM
I've yet to come across another anime that accurately portrayed the gangster life the way Gungrave did. Also it's hard to get the same blend of bullet rain and monster mix like that show had. It's really a special show which is part of why I strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

... in the same vein as gungrave? That's a little tough... well i suppose if you like guns and all that you need to watch Trigun and Cowboy Bebop if you've never seen them. Airing currently, Black Lagoon is a shoot-em-up style show as well.

Kraco
Thu, 05-25-2006, 03:32 AM
Also it's hard to get the same blend of bullet rain and monster mix like that show had ... Cowboy Bebop if you've never seen them.

Yeah. Cowboy Bebop had a pure monster episode!

Kraco
Tue, 06-06-2006, 03:45 PM
I just finished watching Gunslinger Girl (Animenfo (http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1257,iuasgn,gunslinger_girl.html), ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2947), KAA torrent (http://kaa.animeconnection.net/torrentpage/torrents/%5BKAA%5D_Gunslinger_Girl_01-13.DVD(Complete).torrent)). I think it was a really good series. Perhaps not excellent, if I reserve excellence for series like Elfen Lied, but really good nonetheless. Despite the slightly corny name.

The descriptions beyond the links might give a bit more brutal image of the series than it actually is, although there are strives of all kinds in this anime. Despite the talk about cyborgs it was very realistic and deep, the characters very convincing. It certainly painted a very believable picture of pre-teenagers who have gone through brainwashing, extensive surgery and are completely dependent on the few people they interact with.

Casually thinking the setting of this series is very cruel and cold, yet when you watch it, there is strange warmth in it; how the life persists and how humans are still humans trying to interact with each other, love and be loved, no matter how twisted the circumstances.

Munsu
Tue, 06-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Yeah, your post would've been more appropiate in this thread:

http://forums.gotwoot.com/showthread.php?t=9740&page=3

Kraco
Tue, 06-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Hmm... Yeah, I think you might be right (not counting the fact I can't write a 10 words post in 30 seconds...). I didn't remember that thread, but specifically looked for this one

Cabewse
Thu, 06-29-2006, 02:22 AM
So, I have only recently started watching anime (1 year ish) and I was wondering, what are some good series's that I could watch.

Serial Experiments Lain was recomended to me by a friend. It's from 1998. I found a torrent with the whole thing (it's only 13 epidodes though). I'm downloading it now.

Any recomendations?

Lefty
Thu, 06-29-2006, 02:28 AM
Neon genisis Evangelion, Cowbot bebop, Escaflowne, Macross, Tenchi Muyo, Iria. I can't think of any more.

Cabewse
Thu, 06-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Thanks, and congrats on 1337 posts :P

Stoopider
Thu, 06-29-2006, 03:07 AM
There's lots of anime's to watch from, depends on what genre you like. Truth be told, the last 5-6 years or so we've been blessed with a few really great anime's. So it's whether you want Mecha's, comedy, adventure, etc etc.

Some I really recommend is Vandread, Read or Die (The movie, then the series), Last Exile, Full Metal Panic 1, Fumoffu & season 2, Gundam Seed , Full Metal Alchemist.

I personally found Experiment Lain draggy and boring. :p Not my type. I don't like melancholy psychothrillers.

LaZie
Thu, 06-29-2006, 03:48 AM
Rurouni Kenshin is a must! Also grab Yu Yu Hakusho too :p

complich8
Thu, 06-29-2006, 04:24 AM
Don't forget about Rurouni Kenshin (with Samurai X ova's preferably after the Kyoto arc, and Seisouhen ova preferably after you're done with the whole series), Berserk (also a good series to expand your horizons into manga-reading ... the anime covers I think 8 or 9 volumes of manga, and there's currently something like 27 volumes of manga out), Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (aka KareKano, aka "His and Her Circumstances", this one is surprisingly influential on the styles and themes of a LOT of later series, and an all around excellent show), all three seasons of Slayers (Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try). If you get through more than about half of those and the others mentioned in this thread so far (Eva, Bebop, Tenchi, Macross), you'd get enough the references and jokes in Excel Saga, Puni Puni Poemi (short, insane, a great parody of everything that came before it), and Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai to get a kick out of them.

Also, a lot of people like to hate on DBZ because it's popular among young kids since it aired on cartoon network, but the DragonBall/DBZ series is actually pretty worthwhile (the original Dragon Ball series is particularly outstanding), and you can see its influence in just about every shounen action series that came after it.

Really, though, it's all about exploring, finding what genres you really like. All of the series that have been mentioned so far have definite merits. I'd say, try to find as many as you can of those, give each of them a couple episodes worth of time (maybe a DVD's worth -- I know that every series listed here except for the latest fmp stuff is out on r1 dvd by now), see if they catch your eye.

There's some newer stuff than those above that I'd also recommend, but that branches out so widely you'd really have to have an idea of what you're looking for.

My recommended must sample list would definitely include Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, Karekano, Slayers, the Read or Die OVAs, and Berserk. If you can pick up (netflix? local rental place? find some dvd-rip torrents?) the first disk or so worth of each of those series, you'd definitely be off to a good start.

Also, a lot of good stuff has been done on the movie side. Nausicaa and Mononoke Hime from Ghibli (many other Ghibli films are also great, but I think those two stand out as particularly memorable), Ghost in the Shell and Akira are all also definitely must-see films that influenced whole genres after them.

*edit: damn my long, thought-out posts... beaten to the Kenshin punch ... *

Ryllharu
Thu, 06-29-2006, 06:01 AM
This past month I've found a lot of older series that I really enjoyed. Unfortunately, genre is very important so I'm not sure I can really recommend a whole lot of these older series. The best thing I can say is that you really just try everything. Give a series about 3 eps and see if you like it (some require 5, but that's very rare, most get me hooked within the first 15 minutes).

But I'll give some choice titles that haven't been listed already (since all of them are good choices). Perfect Blue is a great psycho thriller film. Anything and everything from Makoto Shinkai. Voices of a Distant Star (Hoshi no Koe) and The Place Promised in Our Early Days (Beyond the Clouds or Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho). Those two films are absolutely stunning in terms of visuals and he is an unparalleled master of lighting effects. The stories are a bit on the deep side, but amazing films. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien if you can find it (coming out on dvd soon as Rumbling Hearts) is perhaps the pinnacle of romance anime since Kare Kano (possibly even better than Kare Kano). No one has recommended FLCL yet, so I will. It's a basically nonsensical 6 eps series, but it does boast the single best dub ever created (Cowboy Bebop's is a very close second).

That's it for the essentials that weren't already listed.

I'm putting a huge emphasis on just trying everything. I just finished Rizelmine and Hyper Police, two fairly underrated series in my opinion, and thought they were great. Download, rent, whatever, just give a series roughly 3 eps to see if you like it or not. You'll find a lot of great series that way.

EDIT: I forgot Air Master. Surpringly more recent despite it's appearance, is one of the best street fighting series I've seen. Incredibly brutal feeling bouts.

Apraxhren
Thu, 06-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust is a must watch in my opinion, great movie. If you want to go really old school the first Vampire Hunter D movie is good too, it doesn't have the polish of modern animation but still worth a watch.

Dark Dragon
Thu, 06-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Can't believe you guys left this out:
Hunter X Hunter, there a 64 episode season, 2 8 episode OVA and 1 14 episode OVA you can probably find them all at www.boxtorrents.com
Great Teacher Onizuka, Great comedy series and it doesn't really use much anime reference you should find it fairly easy to understand.

complich8
Thu, 06-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Can't believe you guys left this out:
Hunter X Hunter, there a 64 episode season, 2 8 episode OVA and 1 14 episode OVA you can probably find them all at www.boxtorrents.com
Great Teacher Onizuka, Great comedy series and it doesn't really use much anime reference you should find it fairly easy to understand.

I would argue that HxH is a spiritual successor to Dragon Ball, and having a background in Toriyama's work at very least sheds interesting insight on his prevalent influence in Togashi's. That said, I'd also argue that both make good background material for Naruto -- Kishimoto's art draws from the same wells as Toriyama and Togashi.

GTO is certainly good. However, I don't think it has the same sort of relevance that those other greats have. It didn't change paradigms, and it's not a strong exemplar of any particular type either. In fact, the story's progress is closer to that of an h-game-turned-anime like Kanon (where the characters are all introduced, and then one-by-one the protaganist knocks down their problems, winning them each over in turn, until there's not a whole lot left to deal with... then it ends).

Don't get me wrong, GTO is a good show and certainly worth watching. But it's just not influential enough for me to put it next to those others.

zibo
Sun, 07-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Hey I was wondering does any one know more animes like GTO? I heard there's some thing 'live action" that has something to do with the GTO anime if so where can I download it ?

Thanks.

Deadfire
Sun, 07-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Why don't you check this thread I merged you with

nine_tail
Thu, 08-24-2006, 12:56 AM
I have been watching series like DB/DBZ/DBGT, Gundam seed, initial d, Naruto, inuyasha, Vandread, . And I can't figure out what other series I should take a look at. Seeing what I have been watching, what would you recommend for other series for me watch.

Thanks to whoever replies.

Thread merged and Stickied -MOD

kooshi
Thu, 08-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Considering how this is a general anime section, you got a TON of choices to choose from. Just simply read the first message of a topic and you should be able to get some information as well as some links. Plus, if you read further, you can see what we think of the series.

As for answering your question, off the top of my head, you can go with:
- Blood+
- Fate/stay Night
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

There's a lot more that you might like, but you gotta do the research.

Board of Command
Thu, 08-24-2006, 01:38 AM
Check my sig for recommendations.

reminisc
Thu, 08-24-2006, 07:43 AM
lmao b.o.c every time i like go on a break from forums and anime, i always look for your sig to update myself on what to watch...rofl

Bucket
Thu, 08-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Great idea for a thread. I'm just about to run out of things I wanted to watch. I hope you guys can help me out.

I'm really not sure what genre of anime I like most, though I tend to stay away from anything featuring huge robots or a kid traveling the countryside with a big sword. I haven't been watching anime for long; maybe a year or so. I'm always up for something with mature drama or interesting concepts, as long as it doesn't get preachy or go overboard with loosely-related metaphysical concepts. Violence or dark themes don't phase me and I actually prefer them when it's not completely angsty or gratuitous for its own sake. Some series I've watched are:

Fullmetal Alchemist - 4/5 (very unique & fascinating story)
Neon Genesis Evangelion - 3/5 (kind of cool, but the cast is hateable)
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien - 4/5 (melodrama probably won't get much better than this)
Ah! My Goddess - 4/5 (really fun series, even though not much happens)
Bleach - 3/5 (another "kid with big sword" series, but I got sucked in)
Elfen Lied - 5/5 (great setting, drama, cast, everything)
Vision of Escaflowne - 3/5 (interesting, but somehow awkward)
Mahoromatic - 3/5 (OK series, but what's up with that ending?)
Fruits Basket - 2/5 (good, but every episode was basically the same)
Excel Saga - 4/5 (hilarious!)
Wolf's Rain - 3/5 (would be much better if it didn't drag on)
Studio Ghibli Movies - 5/5 (let's just assume I'll watch them all eventually)
Cowboy Bebop - 2/5 (well done; didn't finish, lost interest)
Trigun - 3/5 (same as above)

I've watched quite a few others, but I don't want to go on typing forever. Any suggestions?

mage
Thu, 08-31-2006, 11:04 PM
If you read the thread you would find tons of suggestions. My suggestions are:

Gankutsuou
Berserk (read the manga too)
Planetes
Hikaru no Go

KitKat
Fri, 09-01-2006, 02:01 AM
Bucket, from your description of what you're looking for, I think you'd really enjoy Monster. It made it onto my all-time favourite anime list. There's so much depth to the story and the characters, and the plot is full of conspiracies and hidden mysteries. There's quite a lot of violence and death, as one of the themes of the show deals with the nature of evil. It explores the factors that contribute to making a person into a monster. Definitely worth watching.

On a side note, I just finished watching 12 Kingdoms and it was alright, but felt too scattered and lost focus after the first story arc. So now I'm in need of something new as well. I want to watch a series that makes me say, "That was fantastic! I'm so glad I watched that!" Rather than, "Meh". I really like coherent plot (watched Serial Experiments Lain this summer and it was a tiny bit too weird for me) but things that have depth and layers to them, that make you keep coming back to them in your mind and thinking about them. I also like some good character development. I don't like cartoony drawing styles, like One Piece. I just can't get into that series because I find it so visually unappealing. So yes, suggest away!

Kraco
Fri, 09-01-2006, 03:49 AM
You make it hard to suggest anything to you, KitKat. "coherent plot but things that have depth and layers to them, that make you keep coming back to them in your mind and thinking about them" is quite a requirement.

You might have already watched them as they are quite visible and obvious shows, but I'll throw a few anyway:

Ghost in the Shell series (coherent but not evident and altogether obvious plot. Surprisingly lots of really meaningful dialogue, especially for an action series).

Gungrave. At least for me the ""That was fantastic! I'm so glad I watched that!" Rather than, "Meh"" requirement was fulfilled. An excellent ending, at least.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime. Well, ok, maybe I added this mainly because I love this show, but still I think this fulfills all the requirements, character development included.

Of course I could also suggest Gankutsuou. As it's based on The Count of Monte Cristo, it should offer a good enough plot. The art is really original, though. Not cartoony, but... Well, you will see if you have a look.

Chances are you have already watched all of these. But it's awfully hard to keep track on what everybody has seen here... Hard enough to remember everything I've seen myself...

Munsu
Fri, 09-01-2006, 04:25 AM
I personally like Kurau Phantom Memory alot, I think you'll enjoy it, plus I love the music.

Fantastic Children has a wonderful story also, given, the character designs are pretty bad, but I think the story more than makes up for it.

Go check my reviews in the 30 second review thread for more info on these series.

Planet ES is also a great series, though the good portion of the story doesn't start until episode 10 or so.

Of course, you can always go for a fun series like Great Teacher Onizuka if you haven't seen it yet, lots of character development there.

Any genre you like specifically, any anime you have seen you would like it similar to?

TruthofMistake
Fri, 09-01-2006, 10:14 AM
I'll second bud's suggestion of Kurau Phantom Memory, it was really good. I watched it after reading his review waaay back and it had a pretty engaging plot. The characters were also pretty interesting.

KitKat
Fri, 09-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Kraco, I had to make it challenging for you! It's kinda useless to get people to suggest anime without laying out specific criteria because anime comes in so many varied forms and everyone likes different series and aspects. I learned to be specific about articulating what I like after a friend told me FLCL was one of the best series ever, and I ended up hating it when I watched it. An no, I haven't seen any of those series you suggested. You've probably been watching anime a lot longer than I have. I finished some of the must-see classics this summer like Kenshin, but I still have quite a bit that I haven't seen.

I think I'll start off watching Kurau Phantom Memory next week, and maybe try Ghost in the Shell after that. I have the GitS:SAC sound track and I like it a lot (I <3 Origa). Then if I like those, I'll continue down the list of ones you guys recommended. Now that I'm working instead of in school, I can watch anime at a much faster pace. Thanks for taking the time to recommend some stuff! I'm sure I'll be back here once I get through these.

Kraco
Fri, 09-01-2006, 02:09 PM
You've probably been watching anime a lot longer than I have.
I wouldn't count on that... But I've been consuming anime like crazy the time I've watched it, and that could compensate.

Anyhow, Kurau Phantom Memory will also be the next anime I get. Thanks for the suggestion! Can't go wrong with Bud's real suggestions, I've learned.

If anybody knows good vampire series that are not Buffy style with vampires being just things to slaughter amass, I'd be very grateful to receive any suggestions. I just finished downloading Vampire Princess Miyu, but I'm out of ideas right now. I have already seen Moon Phase, Karin, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, Blood+, and Trinity Blood. I hope that was all, and I didn't forget any... Hellsing is of course still there, but I've been kind of saving it for later.

Munsu
Fri, 09-01-2006, 03:11 PM
If you guys are going to get Kurau Phantom Memory, I recommend hunting down the Ayu and Sora versions, they are much better than the rest, though the AnimeYuki version will probably be easier to find. It was the first series AnimeYuki worked on so the quality is not something I would be looking forward to.

xDarkMaster
Sun, 09-03-2006, 08:38 AM
All you guys about to watch Kurau Phantom Memory, let me know if it's good or not. :p

I just finished Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu and I'm looking for a new anime. Currently looking into Utawarerumono too.

TruthofMistake
Sun, 09-03-2006, 09:27 PM
utawarerumono is fantastic but if your looking for other suggestions maybe a post like kitkat's would be helpful otherwise the suggestions, like the ones im about to throw out, are going to be pretty random.

So.. my suggestions:
Welcome to the NHK - pretty interesting show, got its own thread with a synopsis you might want to check out.
Innocent Venus - A good show, nice animation, interesting characters, violence.
Air Gear - light-hearted comedy/sports-ish anime about a kid trying to build a team to race/battle on AT's (inline skates with motors)
Gun X Sword - a year or two old but definatly worth looking into if you havent already.

no idea what your into or if you are in fact looking for suggestions but those are a few of mine. oh and Zegapain good mecha/drama type show, excellent plot although i havent been keeping it up with it for the past 2-3 weeks.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-03-2006, 11:20 PM
I do not mean to demean anyone's suggestions, but there is always a fatal flaw in threads like these. They lose focus. People stop suggesting similar series to those listed, and then random suggestions are made, nearly always currently airing series (or ones currently being subbed, but finshed airing).

Personally, I abhor threads like these, but unless there are rules against it or a sticky, people who can't seem to find things to watch on their own will just keep making them. I'll admit they have a purpose, but most requesters are better off just trying random series to see if any strike you, or checking databases like Anime-Planet for recommendations. The threads do tend to be even less random in choices and usually make better suggestions that the database sites...until they begin to lose focus.

Please stop making random suggestions. I know you like(d) this series or that series, and having them currently/recently airing helps requesters obtain access to them easier, but it destroys the purpose of these threads. Despite how much I hate these threads, I'd like to suggest a few things to keep it as constructive as possible.

-If you've only seen one or two of the series they've mentioned, please only comment on those series. The worst thing that can happen to these threads is "Well, I didn't see any of those, but you might like [totally random series]."

-If possible, take into account all of their suggestions to bring up one or two series that may share elements of each of them.

-Remember to suggest series from more than two or three seasons. I can't stress this one enough. There are a lot of good series from years ago (even in the 80's) and you shouldn't forget about them, just because they're really old. So far, this has been kept up in this thread, but I've seen too many threads that forget that anime is older than the previous season.

Just keep these in mind when making further suggestions. I know this post will be buried in the middle of this thread, but I'll probably try to refer to it often.

Honoko
Wed, 09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Okay, the "usual" batch of anime I've been watching haven't really been coming out with new releases very regularly so I'm at a loss at what to watch. I don't feel like checking out all the newer series I've missed so far and I'd much rather find an older, complete series to watch at the moment.

Some examples of series that I had enjoyed at some point would be Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Capeta, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Shakugan no Shana, Aishiteruze Baby, Binbou Shimai Monogatari, Yakitate! Japan, FMP, FMA, Coyote Ragtime, Hajime no Ippo... so basically, I think I'd watch almost anything. But I'm not really fan of mecha anime. If there are any old anime *movies* you think I'd enjoy, suggest away. No need to suggest Hayao Miyazaki because I'm already familiar with his awesomeness. Always a fan of a strong storyline and great characters. I couldn't get into Gantz at all because the main guy pissed me off so much within the first 3 eps. Oh, and if there's an anime that's based on a manga, it should be true to the original storyline.

I think that's enough of a criteria... confusing as it might be ;)

Munsu
Wed, 09-06-2006, 10:21 AM
As always, I'll go with my sure bet favorite shounen series: Hunter X Hunter. Around 72 episodes TV series, and about 3 OVA series as direct sequels. Still hoping for a new OVA series to come around when the mangaka decides to finish the current arc in the manga.

The Read or Die series is pretty good too. Watch the 3 episode OVA first then the TV series released by AonE. The TV series is called R.O.D. TV, rather than Read or Die.

I don't tend to watch many anime movies, so can't really recommend any. Maybe the OVA Hoshi no Koe and the movie Beyond the Clouds, The Promised Place, but I'll bet you've already seen those.

masamuneehs
Thu, 09-07-2006, 12:15 AM
if you've never seen it, Last Exile is a beautiful and awesome one to look into. Good action (airplanes and flying fortresses = awesome), memorable characters ("Beautiful Luciola, beautiful..."), excellent interplay between the characters and a solid plot that any anime fan would love.

and it's subbed by Anime-Kraze (http://www.anime-kraze.org/) who rock.

I would have recommended Zegapain too, but you said not really into mecha, so...

And one last underappreciated recommendation: Mushishi (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=11935&highlight=mushi)
Award winning animation (seriously, won an annual prize in Japan this year) and a refreshingly different kind of anime. Sorta on the supernatural/spirtual side and a much more calm and deep-thought kind of viewing experience.

edit - taking a note from bud, i'd just like to mention that all of the above 3 are 26 episodes long. Mushishi's final episode is due any time now and Zegapain is at 16 of 26. Last Exile has been completed for some time now.

dimitris127
Thu, 09-07-2006, 03:00 AM
hello guys

I've recently watched final fantasy movies(last order & advent children) both opf them were two of the best 3d anime movies i've watched and i wonder if there are more animes like those or any other final fantasy movies(if you are about to say spirits within i have also seen this and it wasn't so cool),so does anyone know where i could find animes as good as these?

Dark Dragon
Thu, 09-07-2006, 06:43 AM
hmm here a few old one that are pretty good
Outlaw Star: interesting concept and character, and i really like the overall art style.
Erementar Gerad: this is a pretty good fantasy/romance/adventure anime.
Detective Academy Q: pretty decent mystery anime.
He is my master: i find this anime to be hilarious and the show doesn't always show you what you would expect either.

Honoko
Thu, 09-07-2006, 08:56 AM
As always, I'll go with my sure bet favorite shounen series: Hunter X Hunter. Around 72 episodes TV series, and about 3 OVA series as direct sequels. Still hoping for a new OVA series to come around when the mangaka decides to finish the current arc in the manga.
Saw HxH plus OVAs and like you, I do look forward to seeing the current arc animated. I don't see why they don't start now ;)

The Read or Die series is pretty good too. Watch the 3 episode OVA first then the TV series released by AonE. The TV series is called R.O.D. TV, rather than Read or Die.
Will consider it ^^

I don't tend to watch many anime movies, so can't really recommend any. Maybe the OVA Hoshi no Koe and the movie Beyond the Clouds, The Promised Place, but I'll bet you've already seen those.
Actually I never saw any of those movies. Their premises seem interesting enough for me to give a shot though. Thanks, Bud! (I wonder if Netflix has them....**goes off to look**)

if you've never seen it, Last Exile is a beautiful and awesome one to look into. Good action (airplanes and flying fortresses = awesome), memorable characters ("Beautiful Luciola, beautiful..."), excellent interplay between the characters and a solid plot that any anime fan would love.
Saw it. Liked it. Thought the ending could have been stronger.

I would have recommended Zegapain too, but you said not really into mecha, so...
I got into FMP somehow. Perhaps one day....

And one last underappreciated recommendation: Mushishi
Award winning animation (seriously, won an annual prize in Japan this year) and a refreshingly different kind of anime. Sorta on the supernatural/spirtual side and a much more calm and deep-thought kind of viewing experience.
Your description piques my interest. I think we have a winner ^^

Lucifus
Sat, 09-16-2006, 12:27 AM
If you're looking for something more current, I'd suggest just browsing through the more active threads going on now and see if any of those catch your interest. Usually on the first post of the thread there's gonna be a link/quote on what the anime's about.

I really recommend Ippo to you though. It's got all the elements that makes shounen series appealing: the apparent underdog, fights, the process of levelling up, more fights, etc. If a girl like me can actually like an anime about boxing (a sport I never had much interest in), I think that's saying alot :p You won't regret picking it up. You can even find the torrent for the entire series at BoxTorrents, I think. C'mon, Isso, I'm trying to pique your curiousity here. Is it working?

Thanks for the post, amazingly I was able to find a decent anime on the first page. Actually, this is the first sports anime I liked.:D
Anymore good suggestions?:p Gonna check out Mushishi as well.

Honoko
Sat, 09-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the post, amazingly I was able to find a decent anime on the first page. Actually, this is the first sports anime I liked.:D
Anymore good suggestions?:p Gonna check out Mushishi as well.
The next step for you would be to get into Ippo manga as the storyline continues where the anime stopped, including the movies. Always glad to see another Ippo fan around here ^^

As for another one.... well, another sports anime I like alot is Major, which is about baseball. I watch it mostly because I enjoy all the characters and the story's good. Who knows? This might be the second sports anime you would like. Two seasons of it is out (all nearly fansubbed) and I heard rumors of a third season coming out this winter. I guess that's the other thing I appreciate about this anime. It follows pretty closely to the manga storyline and instead of doing continuous fillers, it'll stop and then start up again later.

As for others, maybe there's another anime you might enjoy watching on the second page of this thread ;)

mage
Sat, 09-16-2006, 02:50 PM
hello guys

I've recently watched final fantasy movies(last order & advent children) both opf them were two of the best 3d anime movies i've watched and i wonder if there are more animes like those or any other final fantasy movies(if you are about to say spirits within i have also seen this and it wasn't so cool),so does anyone know where i could find animes as good as these?
The only other FF related animation is Final Fantasy Unlimited. A shitty anime series.

Lucifus
Sat, 09-16-2006, 03:08 PM
As for others, maybe there's another anime you might enjoy watching on the second page of this thread ;)

Hehe, I neglected to mention that this is the first sports anime I've tried.:D
Will definatly check out Major, and the 2nd page.:rolleyes:

I really liked the opening to Ippo even though obviously not much work was put into it. The song ownz.:cool:

mage
Sat, 09-16-2006, 03:13 PM
I watched Ippo 2 weeks ago. It's pretty good, but very predictable. I thought I was watching Hikaru no Go except for boxing, it follows the exact same model (win fight, level up, repeat). It's pretty funny though.

Lucifus
Sat, 09-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Oh, and at the great failure of reputation. I never tried a space anime before, think I'd like that Planetes series? =P

mage
Sat, 09-16-2006, 05:26 PM
I think anyone would like it. It's definately a 10/10 series. Here (http://www.animeacademy.com/finalrevdisplay.php?id=456) is a good review. Also, I don't understand why people are calling it "Planet ES." Planetes is Greek for 'wanderers,' which is where we get the word 'planet' from. They called them this because unlike stars which remain fixed, planets can seem like they wander about the sky. This fits the title much better than "Planet ES" which has nothing to do with the series. The story isnt set on a planet called ES or anything.

Board of Command
Sat, 09-16-2006, 05:31 PM
The title is actually "ΠΛΑΝΗΤΕΣ" so "Planetes" is probably more accurate than "Planet ES." I think the "Planet ES" name came from people who thought "Planetes" is a strange word.

Lucifus
Sat, 09-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Alright then. I'll gonna check out the first ep right now.:cool:

Oh, and you've got the greatest avatar I've ever seen. It pwnz.:D

mage
Sat, 09-16-2006, 05:50 PM
You talking to me?

Board of Command
Sat, 09-16-2006, 06:00 PM
I doubt it.

mage
Sat, 09-16-2006, 06:01 PM
The only other person he could have been talking to was you, and my avatar is much better than yours, so I think it's safe to assume he was talking to me.

Lucifus
Sat, 09-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Rofl, sorry BoC, but I was talking to mage. It pwnz.:D

The avatars just on a whole other level. =P

mage
Sat, 09-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Of course it owns. It's a picture of me. Anyone can join my fanclub by making it their avatar too!

Lucifus
Sat, 09-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Hmm, the first ep was pretty good. Going on to the second. :D

mage
Sat, 09-16-2006, 06:27 PM
It's the beginning of an empire!!!

Munsu
Sat, 09-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Alright, let's keep the posts on-topic

Planet Smasher
Sun, 09-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Has anyone suggested a live action classic - from the 1960's to be precise:

"Johny Soko and His Flying Robot" I think it the corresponding anime is "Giant Robo", although I'm not sure.

Did anyone watch it? Is anyone here old enough to have seen it? I've been looking everywhere for it. It was dubbed in English, but I can't find it anywhere. How about subbing the Japanese language version of that?

David75
Mon, 09-18-2006, 04:08 PM
I made a mistake placin my review in that thread

Lucifus
Mon, 09-18-2006, 09:34 PM
BoC. That recommendation of yours. "Last Exile" It f*cking pwnz.:D

On the 4th ep, Its a 26 ep series right?

mage
Mon, 09-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Last Exile is 26

Did you watch all of Planetes yet?

Lucifus
Mon, 09-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Can't find it on Youtube.(Thats a first) I've dled and seen ep 1 and 2. Waiting for the others.

The first ep was pretty funny. I like the atmosphere.

mage
Mon, 09-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Youtube? Just download 1-26 from KAA. Last Exile is here too.

http://kaa.animeconnection.net/torrentpage/

masamuneehs
Tue, 09-19-2006, 12:44 AM
masamuneehs. That recommendation of yours. "Last Exile" It f*cking pwnz.:D

fixed it for ya.

And if you enjoyed Last Exile I think you'd enjoy Now and Then, Here and There as well. Only twelve episodes (do not judge it on the first episode alone. at least get through the second), and the animation shows its age. But man it is one of the most dramatic animes I've ever seen, up on that level of really gut-punching your emotions the way Grave of the Fireflies does...

Now and Then, Here and There was also reviewed in the 30 Second Review thread...

and if the planes were what you liked in Last Exile I'd recommend Beyond the Clouds for more in that vein.

Kraco
Wed, 09-20-2006, 05:50 AM
All you guys about to watch Kurau Phantom Memory, let me know if it's good or not.

I have now watched 18/24 episodes, and this series is excellent. Not merely good but excellent. Of course I haven't seen the end yet, but based on how it has been so far and how Bud calls it a fine show, I have no doubt the ending will also be exquisite. It has a really strong atmosphere, strong characters and a plot that is both pleasantly calm and exciting when necessary. Action is not really the focus of this series, but what action there is, is fine and executed appropriately considering the general mood of the show. The story is an interesting one and well thought-out.

The AnY subbing, which I was forced to get since the others were impossible to find or acquire, is a bit lacking here and there, but not so much that it would really bother in the long run. And it gets considerably better after the first episodes. So not finding other subs is not really a reason why not to get this series.

Munsu
Sat, 09-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Kurau Phantom Memory's ending has been one of my favorites, mainly because it has that whole "10 Years Later" portion at the end of the series that I like since it lets you know the aftermath of what ocurred in the series. And come one, can't say that those scenes with the "Lonely Freedom" insert song weren't awesome. I really like the music in the series, it sets up the mood amazingly.

KitKat
Thu, 09-28-2006, 10:51 AM
I second all of Kraco's comments. I'm currently at 10/24, and I'm loving it. This is an anime that satisfies exactly all of my criteria. And I also agree with you about the music, Bud. Gorgeous soundtrack, with lots of musical variety. Just what I wanted! I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it!

Munsu
Thu, 09-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Go post in the Kurau thread after you're done, to see what theories and explanations you come up with:
http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=6910

Lucifus
Sat, 09-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Last Exile, Planetes, and Kurua Phantom Memory. Great series!!!!!!

Last exile's fights owned. Planetes was awesome, cept the main char pissed me off in a couple of eps, ending made up for it.

Kurua Phantom Memory has everything there is to have. A+ series. And @ Bud, yea, the music in the series was amazing. The openings one of the best i've seen in a long time, the ending wasn't bad either.

If you've got time to spare, check these three series out!:D

Thanks for the recommendation all.
Edit: Mage, would rep ya for Planetes but uh....yea. =P

animus
Mon, 10-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Are there any good ecchi anime out there like I guess, Shuffle! or Golden Boy where there're actually bare breasts? I get really annoyed at ecchi scenes, where the breast/nipples are miraculously covered by fog, mist, a strand of hair that never existed, a cup, etc. Just looking for something funny, and ecchi at the same time, or anything else out there worth recommending.

Board of Command
Mon, 10-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Midori no Hibi fits your description.

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1327

animus
Mon, 10-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Midori no Hibi fits your description.

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1327

Oh yea, it does, forgot to mention it in my original post though, but I watched it quite awhile ago. I quite liked it.

Ryllharu
Mon, 10-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Rizelmine is a bit old, and sometimes a little far over the loli threshold, but as I remember it's pretty much uncensored. It's funny, and I really enjoyed it.

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan is very ecchi, short, funny, and very bloody. As for nudity, I don't remember all that much, but it should satisfy anyway.

Nurse Witch Komugi has just about everything you want. It's one of my favorite ecchi OVAs.

He Is My Master doesn't have that much nudity, but there is a lot of ecchi and it's pretty funny.

If you find the dvd versions of Girls Bravo, there is another comedy/romance with lots of exposure. If it's not the dvd version, it will be censored.

Edit: I'm not sure if there's full-on nudity in all of these, over the years I pretty much became immune to fanservice.

animus
Mon, 10-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Rizelmine is a bit old, and sometimes a little far over the loli threshold, but as I remember it's pretty much uncensored. It's funny, and I really enjoyed it.

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan is very ecchi, short, funny, and very bloody. As for nudity, I don't remember all that much, but it should satisfy anyway.

Nurse Witch Komugi has just about everything you want. It's one of my favorite ecchi OVAs.

He Is My Master doesn't have that much nudity, but there is a lot of ecchi and it's pretty funny.

If you find the dvd versions of Girls Bravo, there is another comedy/romance with lots of exposure. If it's not the dvd version, it will be censored.

Edit: I'm not sure if there's full-on nudity in all of these, over the years I pretty much became immune to fanservice.

Thanks a lot! Well, I'm not talking about like full on nudity, where they even show the female genitalia or anything, but just enough for nipples or what not. Though the genitalia isn't a problem in my book :P

woofcat
Thu, 10-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Hmm, I just finished Cowboy Bebop. Looking for a show with a little more violence. I enjoyed the Kenshin OVA's and Gantz. Anyone have any advice?

mage
Thu, 10-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Berserk, if you haven't seen it.

woofcat
Thu, 10-05-2006, 08:02 PM
I have seen beserk, to advoid this again here is a list of every anime i can think of that i have seen.

Beserk
Cowboy Bebop
Blood+
Naruto
Bleach
Initial D
Gantz
Kenshin
Prince of Tennis
Tenjou Tenge
Ghost in the Shell.

Still looking for help folks.

Ryllharu
Thu, 10-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Violence is what we're after this round?

Black Lagoon was nice and bloody, and the second season just started and is even more gory.

Le Chevalier D'eon is currently airing, so far it has not held too much back.

You may also want to try Speed Grapher (pretty violent, and often grotesque) and Utawerurmono (has a period/Kenshin-ish vibe to it).

EDIT: Utawerurmono is also one of the best series of 2006 according to several people I agree with in other forums. More fantasy than Kenshin is, but has just as good set of characters and a great plot. It doesn't hold back on the violence either.

mage
Thu, 10-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Elfen Lied has a good amount of limb rippage offage.

Ryllharu
Thu, 10-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Yeah, you definitely want Elfen Lied for violence and blood. (Can't believe I forgot about that one).

Basilisk is a must if you liked Kenshin and want blood.

Samurai Champloo is another "period" style series with good amounts of violence.

Airmaster is largely bloodless, but has some downright brutal streetfights, and so does Ikkitousen (not as good as Air Master for fights).

Board of Command
Thu, 10-05-2006, 10:46 PM
IMO Gantz is many times more violent than Elfen Lied. It's off the charts. If you know of a more violent series than Gantz, please post.

(hentai does not count)

Edit: Actually I'd like to point out that there are different categories of violence. Berserk and Black Lagoon is just very brutal fighting, whereas Speed Grapher and Basilisk are just downright grotesque. Gantz is pretty similar to Elfen Lied.

woofcat
Sat, 10-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Well i watched elfen lied in 2 days. It was a good show, downloading Basilisk now. I'll have it done by next week. Thanks guys for the tips.

Kraco
Sun, 10-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (aka KareKano, aka "His and Her Circumstances", this one is surprisingly influential on the styles and themes of a LOT of later series, and an all around excellent show)

My recommended must sample list would definitely include Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, Karekano, Slayers, the Read or Die OVAs, and Berserk.

Finally got around to have a look at Karekano, and after just two episodes I have to say it's quite different than I expected. Actually it just lay on my HD (or HDs, it even got moved from one to another to make space) for a few weeks, unwatched. And after those two episodes I can certainly see why it's on that must sample list of yours. A very interesting and entertaining series.

Zati
Tue, 10-10-2006, 01:23 PM
If anyone likes a long series and a great maybe sports type (board game) kind of anime then Hikaru No Go is one that is entertaining and great. Just finished it and I recommend this for people that want something different then the hack and slash or those types of anime.

Preacher
Tue, 10-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Heya guys. Been reading through most of this thread and am grabbing Elfen Lied and Hunter x Hunter now due to your suggestions, but I do have a question still.

I've just finished watching Eureka Seven, enjoyed it immensely and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a couple of animes along that same vein? One where the focus is more on the characters than the fights and has an excellent storyline.

No offense to the fighting animes, but there's plenty of those out there for me to check out going by this thread. :)

Kraco
Wed, 10-11-2006, 12:47 AM
If you haven't yet watched FMP (Fullmetal Panic) or Last Exile, consider them. FMP is a mecha anime like Eureka Seven with strong characters and very likable characters and a really excellent storyline. Last Exile is not a mecha anime but rather an aeroplane anime, but it also has a good cast and a strong story.

FMP might contain more fights than Eureka Seven, but it's not really a pure fighting anime. Many of the characters just belong to an army, and thus it's their job to fight (to save the world). Last Exile is a bit different, but you'll see if you watch it.

KitKat
Fri, 10-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Hey look, I'm back! I know, I'm a really slow anime watcher and I haven't yet finished Kurau Phantom Memory (I'm savouring it :p ), but I'm back for a different reason.

Last week, I showed Scrapped Princess to one of my friends who, up until now, has avoided and shunned anime. She LOVED Scrapped Princess though, and I'm trying to source out more anime that we could watch when she comes by to hang out. I'm thinking Last Exile could be a good candidate. She's not really into mecha, or witches/vampires/creature shows. I'm woefully ignorant about shoujo, so maybe you guys could help me out.

kenren
Fri, 10-13-2006, 11:13 AM
EDIT :

Anyone mentioned Gensoumaden Saiyuki?
I was Sanzo's fanboy since the day I watched it. :)

Kraco
Fri, 10-13-2006, 12:05 PM
She LOVED Scrapped Princess though, and I'm trying to source out more anime that we could watch when she comes by to hang out. I'm thinking Last Exile could be a good candidate. She's not really into mecha, or witches/vampires/creature shows. I'm woefully ignorant about shoujo, so maybe you guys could help me out.

Damn, you always have so hard questions. You should be ashamed of yourself...

Hmm... I'll try to keep adventure among the classification and try to suggest a few. The Twelve Kingdoms might work. Has some similarity to Scrapped Princess. If she doesn't mind scifi, Stellvia and PlanetES might work. Maybe later if you want to be really adventurous Noein. DN Angel might work (it has been a while since I saw it) - it's some thief / adventure / slightly supernatural stuff.

Well, I don't really watch any pure shoujo stuff since I'm no shoujo. I've only watched some shows that also have shoujo in their classification among other themes, like Karekano and a select few magical girl shows. So, considering pure drama my knowledge is poor. I liked Hanbun No Tsuki Ga Noboru Sora very much, and you could try it. Mahoraba Heartful Days maybe, to have some comedic aspects.

Sorry, but I don't have any excellent, sure bet suggestions.

RyougaZell
Fri, 10-13-2006, 12:44 PM
KareKano I would recommend seeing up to episode 24 and then pick up the manga... Gainax simply screwed the series -a la Evangelion-

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-13-2006, 02:31 PM
The only problem with the KareKano series is that they switched to the storylines of the other characters and had to forget about the main one. The anime just didn't have time to address those and still go back to finish off the Yukino/Arima storyline. The entire second half of the manga is nearly entirely about the two of them.

It's actually very close to the manga in all other respects. The same thing happened to the Fruits Basket series.

vladimier
Sat, 10-21-2006, 04:23 PM
two of the shows that have recently caught my attention are xxxHOLiC and Shuffle!. They are kind of on different ends of the spectrum but equally good. Shuffle! is from a game but very well made, I have not played the game so no idea of the relation. xxxHOLiC is from a manga. here is a fan site for more info on xxxHOLiC...
http://www.hitsuzensei.com/
Also a site for Shuffle! only it is in Japanese but its a start...
http://www.wowow.co.jp/anime/shuffle/
now for the download sites...This one is for Shuffle!...
http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/623.html
Mishicorp and Shinsen-subs did most of the subs for xxxHOLiC, Look on alternate BT sites for downloads, both groups dropped xxxHOLic due to licensing.

Board of Command
Sat, 10-28-2006, 04:30 PM
The core plot of Shuffle is nice but they added way too much excess material, and I'm not just talking about the ecchi stuff.

Death BOO Z
Sat, 10-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Come on, once you get past the first introduction episodes of shuffle it becomes rather good, gave me some elfen lied vibes even (though it was probably becuase i watched them both at the same week at the army). honestly, the cutting knife scene can rival most violent animes in it's ruthlessness.

also, that aside, it turned out to be quite a catchy romance anime, so why not watch it?

Edit: I'm far too lazy to turn this into a shuffle disscssion, but heck.
Shin and Mao weren't so bad, sure, they sucked around half the time, but I liked the flashbak when the good god dresses up as the pope, and the part when the bad guy tried hitting on the teacher was also decent,,,
then again, I didn't watch the anime in my regular condition, so maybe that's why i'm rather letient about crisizing it.

Board of Command
Sat, 10-28-2006, 05:15 PM
There were some less than desirable elements that carried throughout the entire series, such as the king of gods and king of demons. They were supposed to be comic relief, but did a poor job at that. Nerine's voice was pretty annoying as well.

But like I said, the story itself is good.

Scarface
Mon, 10-30-2006, 05:58 PM
i have bought and liked
gilgamesh
samurai 7
samurai champloo
getbackers
tenjho tenge-current
gantz
e's otherwise
basilisk-current
full metal panic
full metal alchemist
noir
rahxephon
last exile
peacemaker
ninja scroll

and watch these subs
naruto-current
bleach-current
kiba-current
fate stay night
blood+

these are all ok 2 me

Lucifus
Sun, 11-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Christ, I've never seen such a disturbingly weird anime as Mushishi, yet I can't stop watching...

It feels like Aria.....but different...:rolleyes:

Weird....

And why havn't I ever heard of that jewel called Voices of a distant Star!? It tears me up just thinking about it. It was just cruelly amazing. =D / T-T

Animeniax
Sun, 11-26-2006, 03:36 PM
KareKano I would recommend seeing up to episode 24 and then pick up the manga... Gainax simply screwed the series -a la Evangelion-

Didn't Arima make a startling statement about his feelings towards Yukino in episode 25 or 26? Definitely worth seeing, it says a lot about their relationship.

I think someone said that it was a really low budget project, and all they wanted was to complete the 26 episodes to make one full season, then everything fell apart between Gainax and the manga writer Tsuda so they never animated the rest of the manga.

Karitaru
Fri, 12-15-2006, 08:05 AM
Hi you guys,
I watched and Liked: Detecitve Conan, Future Boy Conan, Lupin, City Hunter, Naruto (Non Fillers), Fushigi Yuugi, Paranoia Agent, Basilisk, Bleach, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Rurouni Kenshin, Tenjou Tenge, Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragon Ball (Original and Z), GTO, Hunter X Hunter.

I watched and hated: Devil Man, Devil Lady, Mushishi, Galaxy Railways, Ruroni Kenshin OVAs, Detecitve Loki, Spiral, To Heart, Melody of Oblivion, Peacemaker, Gunslinger Girls, Saber Marionette (All of them), Ghost in the Shell, Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai (This Ugly Yet Beatifull Life), Ragnarok, Fruits Basket, Chrno Crusade, Narutaru, Samurai 7, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Jinki:Extend, He is My Master, Green Green, FLCL, DN Angel, Cindrella Boy, Air Master, Ninja Scroll, FullMetal Alchemest, Street Fighters.

I usually like Ninja-Samurai animes, or (good) detective anime. I am not sure if you could infere from my preferences what I should watch next. You can notice that I hated more animes that I liked.

Ryllharu
Fri, 12-15-2006, 09:02 AM
You've certainly got some odd preferences. About half of each list I'd switch to the other side.

Did you mean Ghost in the Shell the movie or the series? Judging from your like of detective series, I really think you'd like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and the movie that goes with it (Solid State Society). You might also like RAY, a medical mystery series, Le Chevalier D'Eon, currently airing conspiracy series that takes place in 19th century France and Russia. Another option is Perfect Blue, a great horror/thriller movie.

Based on your like of City Hunter, you could try Angel Heart, the spin-off/sequel, or Cat's Eye, another spin-off (it's really old and hard to find though).

For some samurai stuff, try the first 14 or so episodes of Otogizoushi (which is the Heian Arc). The first arc is great, the second half of the series is pretty bad though.

Though I haven't watched it myself, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is a murder mystery series, and Speed Grapher is just really weird and messed up in general. Good though.

Honoko
Fri, 12-15-2006, 09:19 AM
What a tricky request.... I think you should give Full Metal Panic (all their offerings) a try. If I could put a finger on it, it seems like you dislike "campy" anime or anything that resolves too quickly or easily. (Obviously, this still doesn't explain ALL of your dislikes =P Ruroni Kenshin OVAs NG?? incredible!) But if that is the case, you should also give Black Lagoon a shot if you haven't started it.

Despite what people think, One Piece is a great series. It may start off kinda slow but the pay off after you stick with it is beyond great.

One more: Project Arms

Karitaru
Fri, 12-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Despite what people think, One Piece is a great series. It may start off kinda slow but the pay off after you stick with it is beyond great.

You know, I keep reading all about One Piece being so good and all, but then I watched about 40 episodes and couldn't bear it at all. I will give it a shot later on though.

As for Ghost in the shell I did not like it at all, Neither the TV Series nor the Movies. The only detective-like anime I liked was Detective Conan.

Thank you anyways for the suggestion, those are going to be the next entries in my list.

Munsu
Fri, 12-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Some you might want to check out and see if you like them:

Tsubasa Chronicle
Flame of Recca
The Third
Berserk
3x3 Eyes
Utawarerumono
D.Gray-Man
Now and Then, Here and There
Witch Hunter Robin
Ayashi no Ceres
Beet the Vandel Buster
Hellsing Ultimate
Get Backers
Shura no Toki
Fate/stay night
Tsukihime

I think that's plenty for you to try

Karitaru
Sat, 12-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Some you might want to check out and see if you like them:

Tsubasa Chronicle
Flame of Recca

These two sound promising, and I was actually planning on watching them soon.

Berserk
Ayashi no Ceres
Get Backers

I watched all the episodes of the first two. I don't know what to say about Berserk. I don't like it at all and I don't hate it at all. I know I would have liked it more had they finished animating the whole manga, but you know I kept watching the episodes one after the other, and I don't usually do that with series I really hate.
I attempted watching Ayashi no Ceres since it was done by the same mangaka that done Fushigi Yuugi, but I hated it a lot.
As for Get Backers, I think it is the best of the three, even though I have only watched the first part.

By the way, let me ask this question, up the tower (I forgot its name) there were supposed to be 4 major people, the electrical dude, the computer guy, and two more. One of the last two always appears silhuitted, so you think the next arc would be about him. They alway indicate him by "ano hito" "that guy" which they usually use for people they don't want to talk about just yet. Have you got any idea who he is, and whether he is going to appear in the second half or not?

I think that's plenty for you to try

You bet, and thank you.

Harima Kenji
Mon, 01-08-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm currently looking for a nice and good romance series, but I'm affraid that I've already seen the best ones out there :P

In this genre I've seen:
Love Hina (followed by the manga)
Ai Yori Aoshi (Enishi)
Shuffle
Air(TV)
Ah My Goddess (S1) and watching S2
Chobits (sucked @ss)
Da Capo (+SS)
DearS
Final Approach
Midori no Hibi (also read the manga, great stuff)
Suzuka
Haruhi
Moon Phase

If possible I'd like to avoid series that are way too ecchi.. some of the series in my list are at the limit or over the top IMO.

Are there any good romance series that I've missed? (I've kept series like Shana out of the list, because it's not mainly about the romance, although the most recently released ep of Shana was the kind of genre I'm currently looking for)

Zati
Mon, 01-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Some that you might like (can't remember all right now) :

Kanon 2006
Kare Kano/His and Her Circumstances
Fruits Basket
Fushigi Yuugi
Aishiteruze Baby
Saikano (romance with sci-fi)
Maison Ikkoku
DN Angel
Hachimitsu to Clover/Honey and Clover 1 and 2
Hana Yori Dango

If you are reading manga one of the best romance series you should try is I"s.

Bucket
Mon, 01-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Try Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.

Ryllharu
Mon, 01-08-2007, 09:32 PM
After KgNE from Bucket's recommendation, you'll want to try Bokura Ga Ita (very believable romance series mostly from the female lead's point of view), Nana (drama/romance mix), Basilisk (I know it's a ninja series, but it's also primarily a romance tragedy)

Personally, I hated I"s. It was kind of mediocre and the ending was just horribly unbelievable. (Not going to spoil, but come ON.) I greatly preferred Kimagure Orange Road, even with the sci-fi/fantasy elements of that title.

For manga, try Hot Gimmick, Suzuka (a lot more of the story), Kimagure Orange Road, and Pastel.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 01-08-2007, 10:47 PM
I know you are looking for anime, but I just cant help but recommend this. If you havent watched Tsukihime (or even if you have), you should give the game a try. I know its H, but if your really against H then just skip the scenes. It has a great story, dark yet romantic at the same time.

Kraco
Tue, 01-09-2007, 03:43 AM
Shingetsutan Tsukihime, in the anime form, is one of the best series I've seen, so there's no reason to say game only. And yeah, it has a kind of great romance, only quite short due to the number of episodes. And the anime is not ecchi.

High Wind
Sun, 01-14-2007, 03:14 AM
After combing through a majority of the posts in this thread I've decided to pick up

Kurau Phantom Memory
Last Exile
The Full Metal Panic's

Now what I want to ask is which groups produce the best fansubs for each of these respective series?

One post made by Bud was to download Ayu and Sora versions, but what of the other two?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Instead of telling you outright, and so you can use it in the future, AniDB (http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl) is one of the best resources for this. It lists all the subbers who've done the series, their status on it, gives a rating, and has comments you can sift through relating to quality.

Whether they're still hosting the series, that's the hard part.

Munsu
Sun, 01-14-2007, 09:41 AM
After combing through a majority of the posts in this thread I've decided to pick up

Kurau Phantom Memory
Last Exile
The Full Metal Panic's

Now what I want to ask is which groups produce the best fansubs for each of these respective series?

One post made by Bud was to download Ayu and Sora versions, but what of the other two?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
For Last Exile, if you want fansub get Anime-Kraze. For DVDrip I would say Baka-Anime.

For Full Metal Panic! I would get DVDrips from Anime-Legion.
For Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu DVDrips from KAA or fansubs from Anime-Keep should be fine.
For Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid I would get the fansubs for A-Kingdom&AonE

Divinity
Tue, 01-16-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm having contradicting thoughts about downloading Basilisk.

I hear the movie Shinobi - Heart Under Blade was based off this anime.

I've seen the movie and OMFG IT SUCKS! What a stupid pathetic storyline.... Some cool fight scenes but that doesn't make the movie.

Is the anime a lot better?

Kraco
Tue, 01-16-2007, 11:24 AM
It is, indeed. It's a series definitely worth watching.

But actually they are both based on a book. So, the anime and live action movie don't have any direct relation to each other.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-17-2007, 09:59 PM
About Tsukihime, I find the game many times better than the anime, since the main character is quite different and more likeable, you can play multiple storylines, and the fact that things are explained in much more detail in the game. The romance part is not short too, since it is an H game afterall.

Basilisk is good, but since it ias based on the same book, it has pretty much the same premise, though it unfolds differently. If you dont like the premise itself, then you may not like basilisk much too.

Psyke
Mon, 01-22-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm having contradicting thoughts about downloading Basilisk.

I hear the movie Shinobi - Heart Under Blade was based off this anime.

I've seen the movie and OMFG IT SUCKS! What a stupid pathetic storyline.... Some cool fight scenes but that doesn't make the movie.

Is the anime a lot better?

Yes, the movie pales in comparison to the anime, in terms of both storyline and the fights. I watched the movie after the anime and thought that it didn't really do the novel justice. Do yourself a favour and download Basilisk. It was one of the best shows last year, in my opinion.

aisamo
Mon, 01-22-2007, 02:25 PM
where can i get the ninja scroll episodes? i watched the first 2 eps. liked it pretty much ^^
but i cant find annything more afther the first 2..
plz help ThX

ow ye these are a couple of series u gotta see!

samurai champloo<<------- is realy cool it a 26 episode series lot of action it a bout a girl and 2 samurai that are looking for the sunflower samurai <that ws kinda short but thats the main story line>
bleach
naruto
hunterxhunter
im still folloing bleach and naruto and im waiting for new episodes from HxH:rolleyes:

Don't double post again and this forum and/or thread is not for asking for downloads. - Mod

wraith
Sun, 02-04-2007, 05:26 AM
I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on good Mecha Anime.

I've seen all of FMP, liked it very much. I just got finished watching the available episodes of Soukou no Strain this morning, and I enjoyed it. If one of you could be kind enough to drop some kind of list, I can compare it to what I've seen, and respond accordingly.

Thanks!

Munsu
Sun, 02-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Some mechas I've liked:

Eureka seveN
ZegaPain
GunXSword
Sousei no Aquarion
Jinki:Extend
Soukyo no Fafner
Samurai 7
VanDread
Rahxephon
Blue Gender

wraith
Tue, 02-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the reccomendations, I appreciate it. Zegapain had an interesting twist to the Mecha Anime formula, I found it enjoyable. Currently watching Soukyuu no Fafner, I tried finding Jinki:Extend, but the english subbers have taken their version off the internet. As for the rest of the list, seen a few, most were enjoyable. My only dislike in the list is RahXephon, probably because the main character came across to me as an emo-factory.

complich8
Tue, 02-06-2007, 06:06 PM
My only dislike in the list is RahXephon, probably because the main character came across to me as an emo-factory.

Rahxephon is Neon Genesis Evangelion on Prozac. Iif you thought Ayato was emo, you'd HATE Shinji.

Bucket
Tue, 02-06-2007, 06:09 PM
The man speaks the truth. Sometimes I wonder if the despiseability of the entire NGE cast was intentional.

But supposedly RahXephon has much more interesting concepts, so there's that.

itadakimasu
Thu, 03-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Outlaw Star is a really good series, I didn't like the english dub but i have watched it subbed at least 8 or 9 times through.

MFauli
Sat, 03-03-2007, 04:17 PM
We have a stickied thread for exactly this purpose. General Anime is crowded enough as it is the series' threads. There's no real reason for you to make another one to complain about this season's lineup.

Threads merged. Warned.
masamuneehs

Ahoi,

is it just me or is the current anime-season rather...bad?
Last year, Mushishi, Eureka Seven, and some other, longer series that started.
At the moment, there´s only Code Geass and Death Note, with only Death Note being really great.
So, do you know other great anime-series of this season, or do you know what´s coming in the near future? :-/

Kraco
Sat, 03-03-2007, 04:48 PM
I think this is a pretty good season.

Kanon 2006, Geass, Death Note, Bakumatsu, Nodame Cantabile.

Tokyo Majin also looks quite decent, and Naruto and Bleach have returned from the abysmal land of the fillers. I've a feeling I will enjoy Les Miserables well enough, and I'm far from disappointed with Kenichi.

Munsu
Sat, 03-03-2007, 06:30 PM
We have a stickied thread for exactly this purpose. General Anime is crowded enough as it is the series' threads. There's no real reason for you to make another one to complain about this season's lineup.

Threads merged. Warned.
masamuneehs

Ahoi,

is it just me or is the current anime-season rather...bad?
Last year, Mushishi, Eureka Seven, and some other, longer series that started.
At the moment, there´s only Code Geass and Death Note, with only Death Note being really great.
So, do you know other great anime-series of this season, or do you know what´s coming in the near future? :-/
Most good series start in the Spring and Fall seasons.

elmojo
Mon, 03-05-2007, 10:11 PM
hmm.. i guess the most recent good ones i watched were gantz and hajime no ippo

trying to get into death note now

6Zabuza9
Mon, 03-19-2007, 05:27 AM
hi, springbreak started here and i really need new anime series to kill time. i wanna watch anime that will make me go OMGWTFBBQSAUCE?!! i just finished watching fate/stay night all in 2 days and i really enjoyed it

masamuneehs
Mon, 03-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I assume you've been watching Bleach and Naruto now that they're out of those horrible fillers...

best show on right now: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

Death Note is also pretty damn good if you enjoy mystery, cat/mouse dramas. Not alot of action but a good amount of WTF-craziness to be had. And, if you like Death Note at all, I highly recommend Monster, the best mystery/crime anime I've ever seen.

I also suppose you've seen Black Lagoon (both seasons) and the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, both excellent shows from 2006. Black Lagoon is straight up gangster awesomeness, Haruhi is a comedy, but it's zany and full of insanity that will certainly make you put some extra BBQ on your WTFs.

also a sci-fi/mecha mind-bender from last season: Zegapain

I'd also recommend Eureka SeveN: Psalm of Planets, but while that's a great show, It's not a show that you watch for shock effect, more for enjoying carefully crafted cinematography and awesome characters.

some classics, if you've never seen them, include: Hellsing, Gungrave, Berserk and Fist of the North Star.

Brunor10
Thu, 03-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Ive been reading gotwoot forums for the past few yaers but never joined I dont know why, I currently watch Naruto, One Piece, Bleach.

Ok So, my girlfriend who will definately not watch anime has agreed to give a series a test episode run to see if she likes it, oine episode she says and if she doesnt like it she wont watch it no more.

Im 20year Male and shes 17Years Old

What would be something she would fall inlove with after the first episode, cant be kiddish but has to be more on the mature end, not really an action series either and no hentai?

Lucifus
Thu, 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Hmm...

I'd say Mushishi. But I'm sure they're better choices out there.

Is this the right Section?:rolleyes:

Brunor10
Thu, 03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
I just read about it and it seems alittle childish.. anything else anyone else recoomends open to opinions!

JaySee
Thu, 03-29-2007, 04:49 PM
This should be in off-topic. And just forget your girlfriend liking anime. No good anime has 1 really good all encompassing episode. She has to agree to watch an arc at least, not just one episode. You can try a movie. Akira or Ghost in the Shell if she likes Sci-Fi or liked the Matrix. She can watch those dubbed if she hates reading subtitles. Kiki's Delivery Service if she likes fantasy.

bagandscalpel
Thu, 03-29-2007, 04:58 PM
How about Death Note? Seems to fit your general description pretty well.

One bit of advice, though, don't stretch yourself too thin searching for the "one" anime; you're taking a gamble, regardless.

Death13a
Thu, 03-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Planet ES

AniDB info (http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=895)

noone really talks about it but everyone(who watched: liked it).

Kraco
Thu, 03-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Any Ghibli movie could be a good choice. While they are anime, at least over here they are vastly more popular and well known (among all the population) than any other form of anime made, having been in theaters and having very good dvd sales. And of course they are top-notch quality.

I'd be careful with animes like Death Note, unless you know for sure she likes live action series similar to that. People who have watched lots of anime instantly like it, but for somebody who has never seen any it might look strange and ominous. But who knows...

You should also consider good comedy series, if she likes comedy. They are vastly different compared to Western / American comedy in general, and thus insanely refreshing.

mage
Thu, 03-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Gankutsuou. I think it is a waste to show this series to an anime newb because they probably won't be able to appreciate it as much, but it should do the trick. I agree that she must watch more than one episode, though. Why won't she watch anime?

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1868
http://www.animeacademy.com/finalrevdisplay.php?id=565

RyougaZell
Thu, 03-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Kanon 2006
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
Code Geass

Those series have hooking first episodes for diverse reasons.

Board of Command
Thu, 03-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Princess Mononoke

Death BOO Z
Thu, 03-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Azumanga Daioh if she's out for comedy...
Trigun or Berserk if action her thing..
Wolf's rain can be nice as well...
for drama, why not kimi no nouzmo eien? if i enjoyed it, i bet she will too.

rgrintz
Thu, 03-29-2007, 07:12 PM
I always make everyone watch elfen lied, but that's just me. lol. if she likes mystery/drama, watch perfect blue. that movie so rocks.

Munsu
Thu, 03-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Hard to say... maybe one of these might be of interest:

Monster
Hataraki Man
Nodame Cantabile
NANA
Red Garden
Boogiepop Phantom
Serial Experiment Lain
Paradise Kiss
Gunslinger Girl
Honey & Clover
Someday's Dreamers
Suzuka

Oh, and Suzumiya didn't have a hooking first episode... in fact, it was a real turnoff to most people.

DDBen
Thu, 03-29-2007, 08:28 PM
An anime that will get a girl hooked after episode 1. Well I know of one anime that I hated but every girl who I know thats seen it has loved it so my suggestion is Ayashi no Ceres aka Ceres Celestrial Legend.

JaySee
Thu, 03-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Perfect Blue is a good example of Anime doing things that would costs millions in CGI effects if it were live action. There's a anime movie coming to U.S. theatres about a machine that looks into peoples' dreams. I'd go check that out with her. It's getting good reviews for showing anime to be an artform of expression and imagination that could not otherwise be done without MILLIONS of dollars in CGI, not silly cartoons, to Americans. I forgot the title sadly.

I'd vote against Princess Mononoke. Too many weird strange things and the story is horribly slow. I fell asleep 3 times trying to watch it. Took tons of coffee to stay awake. It would scare away most anime noobs I think.

Yukimura
Thu, 03-29-2007, 09:17 PM
I know this is probably not what you want to hear but if she's gave you that schtick about only 1 episode and no more then she most likely has no intention of liking anything you show her. She'll be against it from the outset and thus will notice every flaws or faults with any episode you come up with. Your best bet would probably be to show her something with a first episode that's extremely gripping and makes you want to know what happens. However I'd stay away from anything too out there.

Death Note might be a good choice, all the girls in my college's anime club latched on to it pretty strongly, probably b/c they the main character is so sexy.

Mae
Thu, 03-29-2007, 09:18 PM
I stopped Ayashi no Ceres after five or six eps, so I'd vote no on that. I'd also agree Princess Mononoke might be a bit harsh. Mushishi is very good, but can seem slow to some people.

Instead get Spirited Away. Classic story about a girl trying to save her parents from an evil witch, but very well done with creative animation. Won a bunch of awards too.

If you must go for a series, well, it depends on what she likes. I liked Ghost in the Shell (sci-fi, more adult/complex themes) or Kare Kano for a good romantic comedy or Paranoia Agent for sheer weirdness.

Assassin
Thu, 03-29-2007, 09:24 PM
I'd say go with trigun. Its a nice light comedy, with a bit of action. And lets face it, vash is a loveable character. Its also the only one i can think of where 1 ep is enough to get you hooked.

It mite help if you knew her tastes.....or if she knew her tastes. She could watch a really good anime and not like it cuz it doesn't appeal to her specific tastes.

KitKat
Fri, 03-30-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm usually fairly cautious about which animes I introduce to my friends who have never watched any before, because it can be weird and intimidating if you're not accustomed to it. One series that has worked really well as a first anime for a couple of my female friends is Scrapped Princess (although one said she spent a lot of the series being confused....she still loved it). If she likes drama, definitely go with Monster. A lot of people that are skeptical of anime are surprised by its lack of supernatural elements and giant robots, and then quickly become hooked on the story.

XanBcoo
Fri, 03-30-2007, 01:09 AM
If you must go for a series, well, it depends on what she likes. I liked Ghost in the Shell (sci-fi, more adult/complex themes) or Kare Kano for a good romantic comedy or Paranoia Agent for sheer weirdness.
Good God. Those are the exact same 3 series I was going to suggest after I read the first post. How eerie.

Ghost in the Shell and Paranoia Agent are akin to American live-action thrillers (one a cop show, the other a psychological whodunnit), so she'll be able to enjoy it without being "into anime". They're stylistically similar to any drama you'd find on American TV, in my opinion.

Kare Kano is a godly shoujo series (and actually my favorite anime series ever). It's got a great mix of comedy and drama, so it might be enjoyable to a teenage girl. The first episode isn't too heavy on Japanese cultural references or the viewer's knowledge of anime cliches, so it's a good gamble to start with that.

You can also never go wrong with Bebop. It requires little knowledge of Japanese culture, and is pretty realistic. That is to say, it's not too "out there" for a Sci-Fi series. It's perfect for anyone just starting to watch anime. Like others have suggested, any anime with emphasis on story instead of weird gimmicks would be great choice. I've only seen one episode of Monster, and I agree it seems OK.

Stay away from series with obscure Japanese cultural references like Azumanga Daioh (however funny it might be, I had to read a fuckton of info before I understood even half of the jokes). Those will bore her out of her mind. Stay away from anything an over-the-top Otaku would watch (laden with anime in-jokes or anything that would require an open mind to watch - Excel Saga, any Mecha series, Haruhi Suzumiya, any Magical Girl series, or any "Harem" series like Sister Princess, Love Hina, Tenchi, Maho Sensei Negima, etc) Also stay away from stuff that might freak her the fuck out, like Perfect Blue or Evangelion.

Good luck. I'm actually interested in what you end up picking.

Brunor10
Fri, 03-30-2007, 07:37 AM
I read her the plot outline for Death Note she thought it was interesting , and I will be showing her the first episode tonite. Thanks for all of your inoputs gotwoot community rocks!

masamuneehs
Fri, 03-30-2007, 02:27 PM
i'm glad you came to a resolution...

but this thread is quite repetitive, seeing as how there's a Stickied thread for exactly this kind of thing. I'm merging this thread with that one and suggest you read the rules. Consider this a verbal warning.

Merged

Board of Command
Mon, 04-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Stay away from anything an over-the-top Otaku would watch (laden with anime in-jokes or anything that would require an open mind to watch - Excel Saga, any Mecha series, Haruhi Suzumiya, any Magical Girl series, or any "Harem" series like Sister Princess, Love Hina, Tenchi, Maho Sensei Negima, etc)
This is the first time I've seen someone advice against Haruhi. It's not an "otaku series" by any means.

Munsu
Mon, 04-09-2007, 08:29 PM
You have to see the context of his post... he's posting towards the person that wants to show something to his girlfriend who doesn't like anime, and for sure Haruhi is not something I would recommend for those purposes. Only people that really enjoy anime and such would enjoy something like Haruhi.

And sorry, but Haruhi is indeed something for Otaku galore... it plays off on many of their "fetishes" and stereotype.

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Too bad I didn't see these sooner. There is absolutely no series safer for introducing anime to girlfriends or family members than the Slayers franchise. Good quality dub, no ecchi, nothing really confusing about it. Simple, stupid humor with some good action mixed in.

Oh well, what's done is done.

animus
Mon, 04-09-2007, 10:42 PM
The Slayers manga has quite a bit of ecchi in it if I recall.

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Well, if you only look at the main series (Slayers, Next, Try) and exclude any of the movies/OVAs with Naga in them, they are extraordinarily clean. Some blood here and there, but it's relatively late in the series.

chambers
Sun, 04-15-2007, 06:57 PM
i was wondering if anyone would like to step up and reccomend me an anime series thats easily obtained atm for me to watch, currently im watching the usual big three (bleach naruto OP) in the past i have watched and enjoyed;
samurai champloo
last exile
FMA
black lagoon

and others im sure i cant remeber right now, im not liking films so please dont reccomend me any of those, i prefer somthign that lets the character develop more.

im also watching gantz atm which now the protagonist has gotten out of his "bitch" namesake is actually getting good ( and i beleive its only 24 eps long or somthing :(..... just as its getting good too). so yeah, please roccomend me a series that i can watch now, and if you can go one step further and link me a 1st ep torrent i would be very greatfull. also if the series is long, or is finished then thats a big boost to me too!

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Readily accessible, hmm.

-Pumpkin Scissors just recently ended. Subbed by Eclipse. It's a post-war series with a good mix of action, plot, and character development.

-Utawarerumono is from a season or two ago, also heavily action oriented, most of the characters are what I'd call "beast-men" (not furries), so if that really turns you off, you might want to stay away from it. A period series more like Champloo. yesy subbed this one. Lots of development all around.

-Another series just started this season may interest you if you liked some of the serious parts of Champloo. Seirei no Moribito being subbed by Anime-Kraze, is a period series about spear wielding bodyguard who reminds me a lot of the blind woman from Champloo.

-El Cazador de la Bruja just started as well. No idea how it will turn out, but your preferences seem to give me the impression you might like this. Our very own AonE subs this.

-If you're not averted towards mecha, now would be the ideal time to catch up on Code Geass which just reached a season break in its story. Huge character development in this series. gg has the best subs for this series.

-Busou Renkin just ended. Kyuu subbed that. There's some good character development for the two main characters, and even the lead villain gets a lot. It's a series that pokes a lot of fun at itself (of the genre of Bleach, Naruto, other shonen series in general).

Munsu
Sun, 04-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Well if you haven't already, you should check out the shounen Hunter X Hunter.

Watch the TV series, then the 3 OVAs, there should be plenty of torrents around.

The new spring series is really good, so you should check out some... like Seirei no Moribito, Claymore, Darker than Black, Gurren-Lagann, Romeo X Juliet.

aisamo
Thu, 04-19-2007, 06:17 AM
''AFRO samurai'' watch that one

animus
Thu, 04-19-2007, 07:21 AM
I watched like 3 episodes of that, and was thoroughly bored.

DarkArcher101
Thu, 04-19-2007, 03:23 PM
ok like no 1 has said anything in like 3 years so ill say it watch Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho dude ill give u a summary cuz is that good XD (but Fate/stay night the best XD)

Plot Summary: In the night of Tokyo, mysterious deaths involving the 'Reborn Dead' occur. Mysterious transfer student, Tatsuma Hiyuu, and delinquent student, Kyouichi Houraiji, fight these undead every night. They, along with the rest of their group, soon realize that a greater threat, that involves even more powerful demons, is near.

there people how read this watch the show and BY THE HEAVENS IF U HAVENT WATCHED FATE/STAY NIGHT U ARE COMMITING A SIN !!!!AND SHALL BURN IN THE FIRES OF HELL!!!!!!(lol maybe im exaggerating but watch it! )NOW!!!!!

Lucifus
Thu, 04-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Other than butchered Grammar, I like this guy. As I'm sure the Fire of Death would as well. Fate Stay/Night chambers, though I'm not sure if you've seen it yet or not.

Mushishi. Project ARMS. GTO. Basically all the anime mentioned in my signarture. I doubt anyone of them could disappoint any anime lover.

TheBladeChild
Mon, 04-23-2007, 02:11 AM
Iriya no Sora UFO no Natsu

If your ready for a good cry in the end ^^

@Lucifus: Where the heck are you getting these ridiculously awesome C.C. Sigs and avatars im jealous >.<

6Zabuza9
Fri, 04-27-2007, 12:17 AM
lucifus makes his own sigs and avatars i think

ok i just finished watching eureka 7, beserk, zegapain, black lagoon and hellsing as masamuneehs suggested and i really enjoyed it. but i didnt really want to start deathnote or code geass as i dont wanna wait for releases because im the kind of guy who wants to mknow wat happens right away. anyone have any good suggestions for cool anime?

Lucifus
Fri, 04-27-2007, 01:54 PM
After that action fest, I recommend Mushishi. Theres no way a anime lover wouldn't beg for more Mushishi. School Rumble as well, but thats basically no action. Funny as hell though

I guess you could try Getbackers for action. Thats always fun. You tried the Hellsing OVA's yet?

KawaiiInu
Thu, 05-17-2007, 03:55 AM
Try Demon Eyes Kyo/Samurai Deeper Kyo. Feudal anime about a samurai and a healer inside one body. Yes, also try Hunter X Hunter.

poopdeville
Mon, 05-21-2007, 07:39 PM
How about giving me some recommendations?

Current favorites (and some reasons I like them):

One Piece - Good comedy, character development; interesting plot (especially involving the World Government and Poneglyphs)
Naruto/Shippuudden - Same as One Piece, but I prefer OP.
Mushishi - Didn't like it the first time I saw it, but it was exactly what I needed the second time.
Berserk - Guts
Trigun - Same as Naruto/OP, but only gets good when the Gungho Guns show up.
Kare Kano - Hilarious, realistic romance; ADD style.
FLCL - Serious ADD style, pretty funny.
FMA - Interesting plot, good character development.

Others I've seen:
Monster - liked it at first, got boring.
Death Note - liked it at first, getting kind of boring. Hopefully it well end on a good note though.
Escaflowne - boring
Evangeleon - boring, kind of kinky and fun at times
Lupin III - fun, but inconsistent
Gantz - boring, seemed like a parody of itself.
Kenshin - liked it, but it was too inconsistent.
Shamploo/Bebop - waaay over-rated

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I like comedy and action, I guess. Though I'm open minded.

masamuneehs
Tue, 05-22-2007, 10:19 AM
I recommend Black Lagoon. Action, humor, awesome gangster drama. Also check out Gungrave if you liked Trigun, it being my favorite gangster anime.

Oh, and try Gundam 8th MS Team, just cuz I don't see too many mecha up there on your list and 8th Team is a short, but awesome one.

poopdeville
Tue, 05-22-2007, 11:08 PM
I recommend Black Lagoon. Action, humor, awesome gangster drama. Also check out Gungrave if you liked Trigun, it being my favorite gangster anime.

Oh, and try Gundam 8th MS Team, just cuz I don't see too many mecha up there on your list and 8th Team is a short, but awesome one.

Thanks! I already saw Gungrave, and it is indeed a favorite. Dunno why I forgot about it. I'll definitly check out the others you mentioned.

animus
Wed, 05-23-2007, 10:30 PM
My sister needs some recommendations and I'm pretty clueless on the one's I've already suggested. She has watched FMA, and thought it was OK, Naruto and stopped during the fillers. She's a really big fan of Hunter X Hunter, and has watched the whole TV series, OVA and the current manga scanlations. She wants more along the Hunter X Hunter drift, and says she really was in love with the friendship between Gon and Killua as it seemed really realistic. She's not into shounen ai however, so anybody wanna lend a helping hand with a recommendation or two? I suggested her One Piece but she got bored of it after 4-5 episodes, and I told her it gets a ton better but she says she'll probably give it another chance in the future, just not yet.

complich8
Thu, 05-24-2007, 01:56 AM
So, what you're saying is she's sort of a lukewarm shounen action/adventure genre fan?

Hunter X Hunter is a fairly unique series as far as it goes, so I can't really say you'll ever find something really very much like it. At least, in the literally hundreds (maybe thousands by now) of series I've watched, I've never run across one that gave me exactly the same vibe.

The next closest thing I can think to the HxH feel would be Dragon Ball. That's the old Dragon Ball, not DBZ or DBZ-GT (though Z tries to use Gohan, Goten and Kururin to recapture some of that at various points). It has a similar sense of adventure, similar main character motifs (mysteriously strong, very determined young boy with a completely pure heart and impeccable motives departing on an adventure). Lots of people overlook that series or rag on it because it's aimed at a younger audience, but you can really see Toriyama's influence in Togashi's work, almost to the extent you can see Journey to the West's influence pervading Toriyama's.

The production values of the first 15 or so worth of Dragon Ball are sort of ... not quite there, and the last arcs (the Piccolo Daimao and Piccolo Junior arcs) sort of lose the sense of plausibility and end up bordering on DBZ-land... but other than that, it's good times.

If you're looking for other shounen action exemplars, Bleach and Yu Yu Hakusho are also good starting points.

Ryllharu
Thu, 05-24-2007, 07:09 AM
That's a hard recommendation. A light hearted shonen series with serious undertones...

I second complich8's choice on the Original Dragonball, it's perfect for that. Yu Yu Hakusho as well. However, I can't recommend Bleach. Initially, Bleach is perfect, the arcs in the city fit very well. After they go to Soul Society, Bleach drops the less serious feel that it's premise had, and falls into power-leveling sequences, over and over.

Instead, I'd recommend something like Busou Renkin. It has some moments where it tries to be serious, but it's consistently so over the top and makes fun at shonen stereotypes. From the moronic best friends and relatives down onto the excessively flamboyant villain. Mysterious heroine appears out of nowhere? All of the hero's friends just assume she is his girlfriend, much to her dismay.

Another worth a shot is anything from the Slayers franchise. Yeah, it's another series aimed at younger viewers, but it's also one of my favorite.

I also toss in Chrno Crusade because it definitely has the serious element to the story you're looking for, and Nanoha (and then A's and StrikerS) because it's shonen disguised as mahou shoujo, and this image (http://damagedgoodz.net/board/mgln.jpg) describes it perfectly.

el_boss
Wed, 06-20-2007, 05:49 AM
What are some classic animes that you "should" have seen. I'm tired of the action type animes like Naruto, Bleach and so on. I recently watched GTO wich I really liked and I went through Hajime no Ippo right after that wich I also loved. I very much enjoy the well done "real life" parts of these shows, if you can call it that. Also I can't stand mecha animes.

btw are there any sites where you can look up an anime and it displays similar shows to that one?

Kraco
Wed, 06-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Well, there are certainly shows that are better seen for a good anime education, and fortunately great many of them solidly occupy positions in any top ### lists found here and there, for example at AnimeNfo top 200 (http://www.animenfo.com/statistic/top.php?type=anime), or you can sort Anidb anime database based on ranking to get an equivalent result, only with differences of the individual positions.

Anidb also lets you seek for similar shows, when you look at the genre field of any anime, there's the option. Sometimes it even works.

Ryllharu
Wed, 06-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Now this is an interesting one.

Slayers, definitely. All of it. (Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers: The Movie, Slayers: Book of Spells, Slayers TRY, and then the other OVAs) Great adventure series, suitable for all ages and generally just a lot of simple fun.

Cowboy Bebop Often cited as Yoko Kanno's best work as a composer, the music to this sci-fi/space western fits flawlessly. Good characters, better story, a dub better than the original japanese track, a must see for sure.

Scrapped Princess Another fantasy/sci-fi adventure, a deposed princess is being hunted around the world because she's been prophesied to destroy it on her 16th birthday. Gets a little slow around the middle, but it has superb animation, a good design style, and a nice story as well.

Stellvia: A slice-of-life sci-fi space series. There's no evil villain or aliens here, the children that go up to learn and train on each of these space stations are learning to protect the earth from the natural forces in space that will destroy all life as we know it. Drama between the students, a little childhood romance too, and comedy mixed in for good measure.

Infinite Ryvius Another space series, similar to Stellvia, one I haven't seen myself, and I'm constantly being told I should.

Card Captor Sakura This one doesn't sound like it belongs on here, but I think it's one of CLAMPs best work and certainly one of the better magical girl series out there. Don't watch the cut up and edited American version. It's a little "card of the week", but along the way, it develops the characters phenomenally, and seeing a different costume design every week is also somewhat of a nice treat.

Excel Saga The original incredibly strange reference series. Before Pani Poni Dash and Lucky Star, there was Excel Saga. It often exceeds those two in strangeness, each episode usually fit to a specific style of anime.

masamuneehs
Wed, 06-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Cowboy Bebop Yes. Watch it.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 2 out of 2 Moderators and anime junkies highly recommend it!
http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=264805&highlight=galactic#post264805
http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=264876&highlight=galactic#post264876

Gungrave "Wat up gangasta?" Friendship, big dreams, the mob, violence, covetousness, treachery, revenge. And freaky-deeky bio-engineered zombies towards the end. I consider this anime to be like 'The Godfather' of anime.

Akira OK, perhaps this is the classic gangster anime. Motorcycle gang faces off against evil Neo-Tokyo government when one of their own is taken off to become a lab rat.

Last Exile is a good one that I recommend to just about everyone. Good animation, memorable characters and freakin' planes! Up to a taciturn captain and his crew to go against the oppressive Guild, a boy's quest to realize his father's dream.

Rurouni Kenshin is one I consider to be 'classic', even if it does revolve around action and fighting. At least watch the 'Trust and Betrayal' OAV.

Princess Mononoke I didn't think it was that great, but it's two hours of your time and one of the more recognized anime films.

"classic" mecha-heavy shows. (not for you bag, but)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Much trounced, but it's still a classic by many standards. Get your emo on, maybe save the world.

Visions of Escaflowne: Shoujo adventure with mecha? Unpossible! It's worth it just for Dilandau and the cool Tarot references (if that's your bag). Not a bad love story either.

edit- added two more.

Yukimura
Wed, 06-20-2007, 11:48 AM
btw are there any sites where you can look up an anime and it displays similar shows to that one?
For what you're looking for the best place I've found is here (http://www.anime-planet.com/anirec/index.php). The anime recommendation database. It's user driven so it's not as comprehensive as one might like, but it does give a sense of what shows people thought appealed to similar interests.