PDA

View Full Version : Myself; Yourself

Yukimura
Thu, 10-04-2007, 05:21 PM
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/4893/topxo0.jpg
Based on a Visual Novel and Game (which will come out part way through the show)

Myself ; Yourself is set in 2007 in the fictional town Sakuranomori (桜乃杜, Sakuranomori?) in W Prefecture which is modeled after Wakayama Prefecture, Japan. The town is in a quiet, rural area on the southern tip of the prefecture and borders the Pacific Ocean. Sakuranomori is the birthplace of Sana Hidaka, a sixteen year old high school student, who grew up with his childhood friend Nanaka Yatsushiro, his cousin Aoi Oribe, his best male friend Syusuke Wakatsuki, and his twin sister Syuri Wakatsuki.

This show is occupying School Days' old time slot. I don't expect it'll be anything on the order of that masterpiece but since the last few high school romance's I've watched turned out so well I decided to give it a try.

Myself; Yourself - 01 - [m.3.3.w] (http://m.3.3.w.fansub-torrents.com/%5Bm.3.3.w%5D_Myself%3B_Yourself_-_01_%5B530A7E1D%5D.avi.torrent)

Board of Command
Thu, 10-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Could be interesting. I'll let it run for a couple of episodes before picking it up.

Kraco
Thu, 10-04-2007, 05:37 PM
I'll join the waiting brigade. I decided to have a look at this but at the same time it doesn't seem like something that I absolutely need to see right away (like Clannad or something). So, old wisdom says two or three episodes to start with is the way to get a better and deeper impression and make a proper evaluation of its potential.

animus
Thu, 10-04-2007, 05:44 PM
The twins have different surnames? Seperated by divorce or something?

Edit: Read that part wrong, not the main character's twin.

Anyways, downloading. Will give impressions when I watch it.

Edit 2: Watched it. It's decent for now I guess. But seriously I woulda swung at that bitch after she smacked me. Overreact much? Ok, so he forgot her after everyone's puberty. Can't expect a guy to recognize everyone, She was a sweet girl when she was a kid, now a bitch. I really hate these type of characters. This anime might bring me some annoyances later down the line. But we'll see.

Yukimura
Thu, 10-04-2007, 08:55 PM
I second animus's evaluation of Nanaka, but deep down I enjoy hating female characters since in the end they alwasy lose and fall in love anyway. But for now I'm tentatively rooting for the new girl that wasn't part of the original group. I suspect she and Nanaka won't get along but she'll get along very well with the main character.

Also, Aoi's VA sounds like her vocal chords are made of sugar and rainbows.

animus
Thu, 10-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Wait what other girl? There were 2 girls part of the original group, Nanaka and the other twin girl of Sana's best friend.

Anyways, I'm rooting for the teacher. Though it'll never happen, I wish it would.

Ryllharu
Thu, 10-04-2007, 09:37 PM
The "other girl" is only shown in the OP and in the preview approaching Nanaka with a book. She wasn't part of the original group (as Yuki said), but she appears to be friends with Nanaka.

It shows promise. There's hopefully some deeply rooted issues in this series. I've had the problem of not recognizing girls/friends/etc I haven't seen in years (who can apparently recognize me in an instant), but the full slap means Sana has done something much worse. I imagine it's got something to do with what the twin was trying to yell at him on the train. However, Nanaka avoided him at the shrine too. Perhaps she just wasn't sure it was him yet.

Aoi's voice is painful. I like Tomoko Kaneda, but the sound of her voice is really, really irritating when it's not in the body of a 12 year old or younger. (Chiyo from Azumanga, Gretel from Black Lagoon, the loli from sola, etc). It's just wrong, especially in when her character is that well endowed. If she was the main female lead and getting the most screen time, I'd probably drop this show right here.

And if the last scene in the OP turns out to even come close to actually occurring in the show, I'll drop it then too.

For now, I'm intrigued by Nanaka's rather violent reunion, contrasting her shy scene at the temple.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-05-2007, 06:02 AM
Im willing to bet that right when the main guy was leaving, something terrible happened to Nanaka (which the boy twin tried to shout to him), and that forced her to change from a sweet girl to a cheek-slapping tomboy.

I think that the two were especially close, and that is why she got so angry. Add the fact that he recognized everyone else after a few seconds, while the person he is supposedly closest to gets ignored twice, a slap may not be such an overreaction.

I love these tsundere types. She reminds me of Suzuka. Im expecting good things from this show.

kenren
Wed, 10-10-2007, 12:30 PM
m.3.3.w episode 2 XviD (http://m.3.3.w.fansub-torrents.com/%5Bm.3.3.w%5D%20Myself%20Yourself%20-%2002%20%28XviD%29%20%5B6E4306C5%5D.avi.torrent)

Just saw the first episode and I must say, the characters are pretty alright and I got hooked to this series already. And oh, Chiyo's (Azumanga Daioh) voice o_O

Ryllharu
Wed, 10-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Aoi (Chiyo's voice) wasn't anywhere close to as annoying and ear-piercing as it was in the first episode. I completely didn't expect her to be a year older than everyone else.

The twins almost making an over-the-top cliche idiot action scene made me laugh. Nice to break the side character stereotype now and then. Speaking of the twins, their little side glance at each other when Sana brought up Nanaka's attitude. Very curious. They obviously know the truth, so why aren't they telling him?

I get the idea that if Nanaka doesn't start to at least soften to him, Hoshino will probably start making a move towards Sana soon. Even if they just met, the piano part clearly made an impression on both the girls.

animus
Wed, 10-10-2007, 08:48 PM
I really thought it was retarded that Sana and the others smiled when Nanaka did a drive-by "Ohaiyo" to the group. She clearly didn't say, Ohaiyo Sana. And she didn't stop or anything either. So I was pretty annoyed with the fact that they're all like =D when she did the same thing and were all annoyed earlier.

Yukimura
Wed, 10-10-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm actually sad that the friendship of Hoshino and Sana is going so well so quickly since he's probably going to end up going after the ice princess instead for the sake of their old relationship. I'll still root for Hoshino but there's not much hope unless this show is bold enough to break such a big cliché. The other broken cliché does offer a sliver of hope, however that might have been to lull us into a false sense of uniqueness. As usual with romances, I hope all my expectations are completely wrong.

animus
Wed, 10-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Shuffle did kinda break that cliche, those that've watched it to the end know what I'm talking about. Anyways, it's a shame the sensei gets her head on the poster, and there's no development for her. Hopefully that changes, I have a thing for older women I guess.

Board of Command
Thu, 10-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Shuffle actually ended the way I expected, though I don't know if that meant it broke the cliche or not.

animus
Thu, 10-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Well the girl he chose was totally out of the cliche of what Harem anime were I thought.

Ryllharu
Thu, 10-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Concerning Shuffle: [Asa was older, a childhood friend, had an illness, didn't have pointed ears, and was somewhat of a tomboy.] Yeah, she really had just about everything against her.

Anyhow, any speculation on what Shuu yelled to Sana at the train? I assume it has everything to do with what's happened. They thought he heard it, and must have thought he'd respond to whatever it was. Right now, I'm thinking letter writing or a recital or something rather simple. Then again, she was shocked to see him, and cold even at the temple.

Edit: sorry if you saw this post in any of the initial stages. I had to make several edits.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Well it definitely looks like Nanaka's feeling a little pressure from Hoshino's advances next episode. I'm waiting to see when Sana will finally ask Nanaka to play the finished song. Thought that was going to happen this episode judging from the preview last week. Agreeing with Yuki, I think Sana will end up with Nanaka too, and I don't think we're wrong. Judging by it's pace, it'll be very rushed to develop both relationships in 12-13eps.

MFauli
Sat, 10-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Ah, some known faces in this thread from the School days "discussion".
Will watch it, perhaps that series will provoke similiar discussions :P

Yukimura
Wed, 10-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Myself; Yourself - 03 (Xvid) - [m.3.3.w] (http://tracker.anirena.com/download2.php?id=2465)

animus
Wed, 10-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Wow, their relationship took a total 360 immensely quick. I mean, Sana doesn't even realize how different she is? Besides Nanaka and Sana the other characters get near zero development whatsoever.

Ryllharu
Wed, 10-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Wow, their relationship took a total 360 immensely quick. I mean, Sana doesn't even realize how different she is? Besides Nanaka and Sana the other characters get near zero development whatsoever.Not true, we learn that Shuu is really creepy.

Anyone who gets disappointed in seeing his own twin sister's lack of upper body development has severe issues.

Why does Nanaka always stand off to the side, quietly by herself and never talk to the others? In a lot of the frames at the river, she's at least a dozen feet away. Somehow, she gets upset that Sana is getting closer to Hoshino when she never talks to them. Hmm, big surprise.

I was starting to get a little disappointed that the tension between Sana and Nanaka was already started to diminish. However, the gore covered knife and subsequent reactions of Sana certainly made up for that. The series to fill School Days' slot is already starting to feel a little bit familiar.

Board of Command
Wed, 10-17-2007, 11:12 PM
However, the gore covered knife and subsequent reactions of Sana certainly made up for that. The series to fill School Days' slot is already starting to feel a little bit familiar.
I was thinking the same. School Days was the first thing that came to my mind during that scene.

Church
Thu, 10-18-2007, 02:04 AM
Wow, their relationship took a total 360 immensely quick. I mean, Sana doesn't even realize how different she is? Besides Nanaka and Sana the other characters get near zero development whatsoever.Wait, let me get this straight (lol irony)... the relationship took a total "360"? Doesn't that mean... nothing should change?

MFauli
Thu, 10-18-2007, 07:03 AM
I was thinking the same. School Days was the first thing that came to my mind during that scene.

Haha, dito.

4 girls that like or even seem to love Sana, and a bloody knife. It´s already in deep, deep School Days-waters ;)

animus
Thu, 10-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Wait, let me get this straight (lol irony)... the relationship took a total "360"? Doesn't that mean... nothing should change?

180, 360, whatever. Complete opposite is what I meant.

Yukimura
Thu, 10-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Sana is Itou's cousin, he heard about what happened to him and decided to move back to his old town, now he lives in mortal fear of getting into a relationship with a girl and then getting stabbed.

Anyway, there were quite a few creepy vibes thrown off by this ep, Nanaka is showing classic signs of an extreme unexpressed affection overdose and we all know where that can end up.

And now Sana, first the knife then the watch, it's obvious something important happened to him in the last five years as well but will it bring him closer to Nanaka or to Hoshino (go Hoshino). Next ep looks like they're going to introduce a side plot for Shuu and probably Shuuri too, but I hope they manage to squeeze in some development for Aoi as well.

animus
Thu, 10-18-2007, 06:54 PM
That event was probably a reason for wanting to move back to where his childhood was. There must be a reason why his mom keeps calling him and asking about school. Maybe something happened with a dad/step-dad?

Scarface
Thu, 10-18-2007, 07:35 PM
i thought when he wouldnt take off his watch that maybe he was hiding a scar from cutting himself

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-19-2007, 02:26 AM
thought when he wouldnt take off his watch that maybe he was hiding a scar from cutting himself.

Then he shouldn't be scared of seeing the gory knife, I'd imagine. It'd remind him of those days, but shouldn't freak him out. That's why I don't think he cut himself. I do think the watch may hid a scar though. Sana didn't look like he was really treasuring the watch.

Who's Itou?

And the 360 degrees is right. It means a COMPLETE turn/change.

Kraco
Fri, 10-19-2007, 06:15 AM
I tend to think at the moment he cut himself. A wrist is the universal place to cut oneself so it strongly suggests that's the case. Of course he could have been defending himself from someone else stabbing, but I think the palm/fingers would have been more likely to be damaged in such a situation.

I have honestly no idea whether someone who might have tried to commit a suicide by cutting a wrist might dislike seeing bloody knives, though. I can't even begin to theorise such a thing. However, one thing is pretty sure to affect: His mental state at the moment he tried it, and if the feeling of dying scared him or not. If he tried to kill himself on the spur of the moment or only to get attention, then actually it might have surprised him to realise he was going to really die.

Well, of course the situation might have been much more complicated than that in reality. Maybe he tried to die together with some girl by both of them cutting their wrists, and only the girl died. That would leave him unbalanced...

And the 360 degrees is right. It means a COMPLETE turn/change.

If you turn 360 you are facing the exact same direction you were facing before the turn. Your logic is flawed. 180 degrees would mean the total opposite.

Yukimura
Fri, 10-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Who's Itou?

It was a referentail joke. Itou is the male lead from School Days, he had some issues with pretty girls, infatuation and knives as well.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-19-2007, 07:48 PM
If you turn 360 you are facing the exact same direction you were facing before the turn. Your logic is flawed. 180 degrees would mean the total opposite.

That's not my logic. It's what the saying means. It's not an uncommon phrase in Chinese, and when said that way, turn and change sound the same. In the saying, 360 degrees is used to mean a COMPLETE turn, not the resultant direction. So a 360 degree turn-around is used to mean a complete change. It's more pun than logic.

It was a referentail joke. Itou is the male lead from School Days, he had some issues with pretty girls, infatuation and knives as well.

Thanks for the clear-up.

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-19-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm sorry, but there's no way around it. That's nonsensical and wrong.

http://www.speechcom.com/training/idioms.htm

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-20-2007, 04:02 AM
hmm, okay....

I'll agree that 180 degrees is the right way of saying it unless I can prove otherwise. :D
What have I been learning....

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Myself ; Yourself OP/ED Singles by Nipponsei

OP- Tears Infection
http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Myself%20Yourself%20OP%20Single% 20-%20Tears%20Infection%20%5BKAORI%5D.zip.torrent

ED- Kimi to Yozora to Sakamichi to
http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Myself%20Yourself%20ED%20Single% 20-%20Kimi%20to%20Yozora%20to%20Sakamichi%20to%20%5BI tou%20Kanako%5D.zip.torrent

kenren
Wed, 10-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Episode 4 out! (http://m.3.3.w.fansub-torrents.com/%5Bm.3.3.w%5D_Myself_Yourself_-_04_%28XviD%29_%5BCE94D21E%5D.avi.torrent)

Can't wait to watch :)

Edit: It's kinda weird to see Nanaka suddenly being quite well with Sana already. And the way Shuu looks at his own sister is just... scary >.<

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-26-2007, 04:12 AM
And the way Shuu looks at his own sister is just... scary >.<

I don't know which is scarier, Shuu looking at his sister, or his sister's denki anma. No, actually, I know DEFINITELY which is scarier. This episode focused entirely on Shuu and Hinako. No screentime for Nanaka whatsoever, save for the OP and ED. On that, does anyone know if all four songs of the OP + ED albums will be/are used in Myself ; Yourself? Only two of them are the OP and ED tracks, but I've heard the other two in the promo torrent that Munsu posted up a couple of weeks ago.

I like the mood for the next episode. Spooky music, phantoms and romance/schooldays usually gives hilarious comedy.

MFauli
Fri, 10-26-2007, 05:31 AM
Meh, feeled like a filler-episode.

Yukimura
Fri, 10-26-2007, 10:47 AM
It seemed like Shuu's idea of a dream girl is the exact opposite of his sister. I think every time he was asked about what he wanted and he looked at her he was thinking about traits his sisters lacked and saying them.

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-26-2007, 12:55 PM
That's what made it funny. He nearly said it outright when talking about her denki anma. The other side to that is that Aoi is every one of those qualities, and Nanaka fits many of them as well.

We can't toss them out as simple comedy relief though. Shuuri has been quite set on pushing Sana and Nanaka back together, and Shuu's words to the train still seem like they were very important.

Both twins know something that they are not telling Sana.

Everon
Fri, 10-26-2007, 01:31 PM
I have honestly no idea whether someone who might have tried to commit a suicide by cutting a wrist might dislike seeing bloody knives, though. I can't even begin to theorise such a thing. However, one thing is pretty sure to affect: His mental state at the moment he tried it, and if the feeling of dying scared him or not. If he tried to kill himself on the spur of the moment or only to get attention, then actually it might have surprised him to realise he was going to really die.

Well, its not uncommon for objects to conjure bad memories. He may have tried to commit suicide, but that doesn't mean he remembers this moment fondly. It seems like he's wants to forget whatever happened to him.

Honestly, I think our protagonist suffers from sorts of depression. After the suicide, his parents thought it would be best for him to relocate and give him a fresh start (word travels fast in school, it would tough to be "the cutter" kid)

kenren
Wed, 10-31-2007, 12:30 PM
m.3.3.w episode 5 (http://m.3.3.w.fansub-torrents.com/%5Bm.3.3.w%5D%20Myself%20Yourself%20-%2005%20%28XviD%29%20%5B38799D63%5D.avi.torrent)

I like it when Nanaka and Sana gets along. :)

Yukimura
Wed, 10-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Seems Nanaka has plenty of baggage as well, I'd wager her parents died in a fire, possibly indirectly b/c of her. She's handling it pretty well in general but poor ignorant Sana will eventually crack open the wall she's put her memories behind if no one tells him what he's whacking away at every time he talks to her about her old self.

I was very happy that Nanaka seemed to accept Sana's explanation about Hoshino and didn't get too upset over the Yeti-kun incident, I'm sure she's storing it all up, but on the outside at least she shows a lot more coping ability than many other anime girls would in similar situations.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-31-2007, 11:41 PM
I do agree that Nanaka's parents died in a fire, but I think the reason Nanaka is so hung up over it is related to the violin. Since violin's normally dont start fires (as far as I know), I think Nanaka tried to come back to a burning house to save her's which resulted in her parents trying to save her, ending in their death.

Ryllharu
Thu, 11-01-2007, 07:04 AM
No one wants to discuss the creepy old lady Kaji? Not only is she easily confusing her deceased granddaughter with Nanaka, she may want to kill either her or someone else according to the old legends to get her lost granddaughter back. She came back covered in dirt one time, and the bird was gone. Now there's the scene with the cat right at the end.

It seems strange for a series that has mostly love-comedy elements, especially since the episodes before and after this are Hinako episodes.

Nanaka really shined this episode though. Embarrassedly pretending she saw Hoshino and Sana just as they were walking out (and ending up going the other way on the street), getting scared from the raccoon, Nanaka dousing herself before the dance...

shinta|hikari
Thu, 11-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I just hate it when the art starts to become crap. Consistency in quality is probably what separates good romcoms (kanon, clannad) from the usual spiel. At least this show has some interesting elements, particularly the tsundere as the main character rather than the side one. Im tired of the dumb clumsy sweet girl as the main girl lead in ANY story.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Maybe all those years of exposure to ancient customs, plus the shock and sorrow of losing her granddaughter caused Kaji to really believe burying someone alive will make your wish come true. Wonder how she got the idea that a bird was the same as a person though, assuming she went out that night to bury that bird. Falling collar doesn't look too good for the cat either.

The cleansing before the ritual was nice.:D

I hope they really do develop this with Kaji, instead of hinting something and moving one. Well, that depends on what they move on to, I guess.

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-02-2007, 05:40 AM
I just hate it when the art starts to become crap. Consistency in quality is probably what separates good romcoms (kanon, clannad) from the usual spiel.Prejudiced much? ;) "Good" romcoms are both listed as KyoAni series. It's not all about pretty visuals and consistent quality. The first Kanon was utterly mediocre, even with the plot largely the same from the KyoAni version. The difference was in an additional 10 episodes, KyoAni was able to do the story the right way, taking time to properly develop each of the heroines.

Writing is what makes a good romantic comedy. Take a look at SHUFFLE!. Ever play the source material? It's very, very bland. Shuffle wasn't able to hold out in terms of visual quality, and it knew it was little more than an ecchi series. Yet, it was able to capitalize on storyline by expanding Primula's story with its loose connection to both Asa's and Nerine's, and integrating Kaede, Sia's, and Asa's.

Or take a look at Bokura ga Ita. I'd hesitate to call it a romantic comedy, but the writing is what makes the series superb, not the visuals.

In the end, I'm not sure where your complaint is coming from, I didn't notice any drop in quality in episode 5.

MFauli
Fri, 11-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Wah, the trivial smalltalk in this episode was a bit too much for my likings ^^

Also, i hate it when they make a 10 year old girl looking sexy. Forgot the name, but she doesant look any different from Shuri, only she´s smaller, lol.

The scene with the old woman was great, though i´d have expected Nanaka to behave a lot differently....like running out of the room or apologizing although she didnt anything wrong. Looking forward to next episode.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Also, i hate it when they make a 10 year old girl looking sexy. .

Looks like there'll be plenty of that in this episode.

Myself ; Yourself 6 brought to you by m.3.3.w

Xvid (http://m.3.3.w.fansub-torrents.com/%5Bm.3.3.w%5D%20Myself%20Yourself%20-%2006%20%28XviD%29%20%5B98B85BFD%5D.avi.torrent)

And a question to those who've been watching the h.264 versions, are they HD, or up-scales?

Ryllharu
Wed, 11-07-2007, 09:06 PM
They're from a 720p source, as the lines are all still very clean. The encoding is dramatically better as well. I highly recommend replacing them.

David75
Thu, 11-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I've watched a bit of the first ep in youtube.
Regarding Nanaka, there's really something dark and hidden...
Why do I say so after only one ep?
The very first scene she's in after Sana's come back, there's a crow and crow feathers falling near her.
I don't know for Japan culture, but in many countries of the world, crows are a very dark reference... mainly unhapiness, becoming unlucky, sometimes evil. Probably all related to the fact they are carrion birds (is that the correct term? I meant birds eating on dead bodies).

I think I'll dl the eps available and come back here after I watched all the backlog.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-09-2007, 04:06 AM
You're sort of right. Carrion's the dead animals they eat. The birds themselves are called scavengers. I'll go back to that ep when I have time. Hints dropping from the first ep aye?

I'll consider updating to 720p towards the end of my billing month too, when I've got quota to spare. Keeping the Xvids though, since I've had no success encoding mkv with subs to MPEG-2. The subs always look like they're displayed in 400x300 resolutions. Not sure if conventional DVDs even support a 720p encoding.

Back on the episode, the preview's pretty creepy. We see Nanaka following some instructions/address to a more quite side of town, an old house in fact. Then she goes to some temple sort of area, and the red sky and dark clouds in the background make it all gloomy and mysterious. The Cat/Bird lady is back. Don't know if there'll be any more animal sacrifices, or human ones for that matter.

David75
Fri, 11-09-2007, 02:24 PM
I've been watching the first ep a second time, and the crow scene has a little more.
We see the crow, moving head. Sana sees the crow. The crow takes-off flying in the direction of Nanaka. It loses 3 or four feathers falling in front of Nanaka. Sana has seen Nanaka thanks to this crow.

Maybe I'm focusing on something really unimportant, but that scene really struck me for its very powerful symbol.
I was writing last time about the bad side of the wrow symbol. It seems that in other cultures, crows are messengers for the dead, sometimes play a role in the passage from the world of the living to the world of the dead. I won't speak of the movie and tv show with those subjects, eventhough they rely on some bits and pieces from different cultures.

Enough for this subject, I watched all the eps available so far. I can't tell what this show really is about. Mild ecchi, some humour, a bit of a harem, a bit of lolicon.
Then there are these little scenes that are not linked to the styles above:
The crow scene
The scene when the old lady mistakes Nanaka for her dead granddaughter
The scene with this same old lady having her hand covered in soil
The scene with someone (old lady again?) watching Nanaka's Sakura dance with what seems to be flasbacks.

We haven't been given a reason why there were no one wanting to perform the Sakura
dance for ten years. And the story about the buring of living people under cherry trees may let us think that something creepy happened ten years ago.

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-09-2007, 02:53 PM
In anime, the crow is typically used because the sound of its call is reminiscent of the the word "ahou" = moron.

It could mean more than that here, but Sana was a moron for not recognizing her in the first place.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
I dont really blame him though. First off, people's faces change quite a bit when they grow up, especially the time that they were separated. The reason why he remembered the others is because they didnt change much (at least their basic personality and atmosphere) compared to Nanaka. Sure she was quiet before, but not as sullen and angry-looking like now. Sana had to mistake her for someone else, even if only to emphasize the fact that something DID happen and changed Nanaka drastically.

David75
Fri, 11-09-2007, 03:45 PM
In anime, the crow is typically used because the sound of its call is reminiscent of the the word "ahou" = moron.

It could mean more than that here, but Sana was a moron for not recognizing her in the first place.

Thanks for this explanation.
Does the meaning still remains strong if the crow remains silent?

Well I guess my point was weak if this crow was just meant to mean Sana is a moron for not being able to recognize Nanaka, and for the way he will handle females in the future.

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Generally, it's a comedic thing, and very obvious. The crows are usually drawn in a specific style. Here, I drew one:

http://aycu30.webshots.com/image/33989/2004129593434674365_th.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004129593434674365)

I'd assume this isn't what they're going for here.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-10-2007, 08:40 AM
I looked at it from a more basic level. Sana looked around at something that caught his attention. It was the movement of the crow. It moved into the line of sight between Sana and Nanaka. Yeah, you can usually tell if the crow means death or moron. Occasionally I've seen them to mean death, but it's usually them flying in circles above a scene like vultures, or perched on some form of bone, blink (close up here), then fly off, leaving a feather or two, and the characters move into the screen.

David75
Sat, 11-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Generally, it's a comedic thing, and very obvious. The crows are usually drawn in a specific style. Here, I drew one:

http://aycu30.webshots.com/image/33989/2004129593434674365_th.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004129593434674365)

I'd assume this isn't what they're going for here.

Yes I remember, was very common in the anime of my childhood (city hunter, ranma, dragonball I think, Lum -lamu-, etc...)

The crow in the scene I mention was a real one and not presented this way. Bufalobiian probably described it better than I did.
Well I guess the scenarists had a slow motion in mind for this probable dark background, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-10-2007, 09:21 PM
The next preview should give us an insight to Nanaka's past, at least a little. Looking back, that crow scene was actually creepier than I thought. I was describing that death scene from memory of older works, had no idea how close it resembled the meeting with Nanaka from ep 1. I'm kind of lost now. Tone certainly deviated from the general lightness of that ep, but it wasn't so obvious that we all picked it up.(5 weeks later...) Whether it was to simply grab out attention to Nanaka, or something more sinister will probably be left to interpretation.

As for the preview, it didn't look as scary as the one about the sakura dance, but more mysterious, especially the puzzled, late afternoon look.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Live sacrifices, missing animals, hidden past. What else?

Find out, Myself ; Yourself Episode 07 brought to you by m.3.3.w (http://m.3.3.w.fansub-torrents.com/%5Bm.3.3.w%5D%20Myself%20Yourself%20-%2007%20%28XviD%29%20%5BED1E4A84%5D.avi.torrent)

Ryllharu
Wed, 11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Here's a question for everyone. How innocent is Hoshino, really? That hole was neither deep nor was she doing the grunt work, how does she get lightheaded and dizzy? Sana had his back to the steps and Nanaka, whereas Hoshino was facing that way.

We can thank the legacy of School Days for my suspicion, but if even Yuzuki-sensei has some connection with the past to Sana, do we really know if Hoshino doesn't have one as well? I doubt it was a very prominent memory for Yuzuki-sensei, so perhaps Hoshino has one of Sana as well.

Is she really that weak, or was it planned?

Shuuri and Yuzuki are really alike though. Was that a quick flash of shock/sorrow from Sayuka (voiced by Yukana) when Shuuri rebuked her so badly? I smell a side plot...

Yukimura
Wed, 11-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Omfg that old cuntbag killed Poe!! This show is quite good at subtlety pointing out things in such a way that you really can't miss them but you never have to be told out right. But then they went and and ruined it by setting up such a cliché "main girl stumbles upon the guy and a rival girl doing something completely innocent that looks naughty from far away in the dark and then jumps to a conclusion and vanished without a word" scene. Not that I mind since I like Hoshino more than Nanaka anyway, but it's still sad that Nanaka is so crazy and icy now when she used to be everyone's friend and they clearly all still like her. I can't wait to find out what happened to her in the past to make her like this.

And Shuri...I've never seen an anime girl talk that level of trash about an adult in that persons presence before, my mouth was literally hanging open the whole time. This sub-plot definately piqued my interest, I just hope they can flesh it all out in time.

DDBen
Thu, 11-15-2007, 01:38 AM
I know the old lady did something to Poe and I know the scissors were likely borrowed to cut off the collar being if the box was ringing it would be a pretty big giveaway. The thing is the legend requires live sacrifices so did she really just make them bury a kitten alive...

This show really has a lot of dark horrible things going on in the background.

Ryllharu
Thu, 11-15-2007, 10:09 AM
After rewatching, I noticed that Sayuka looked angrily into the room when Shuuri's father yelled at her to get in there. Like Yuki, I hope there is plenty of time to develop this side plot.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Someone needs to seriously take a look at the old lady. The next thing buried's going to be alive, and the one after that'll be human (probably Nanaka?). I liked it how they started off with Shuri narrating about change, then mentioning the National Park but finally bringing out the real change she resents most.

You can actually get light-headed from just kneeling too long, letting all the blood go to your feet, then getting up really fast, and draining a bit more from your head. Don't need to be doing heavy work or anything. I don't think Hoshino is the scheming type, but then again, what does everybody in the story think of old Kaji.

And yes, those were very harsh words. VERY harsh. I don't remember seeing anyone ever referring their step mother as their father's sex toy, let alone say it in there presence. I wonder what Shuu thought when he knew about it.

narutosharingan
Mon, 11-19-2007, 01:23 AM
This anime seems to have a lot of dark plots to it, really dark stuff. I'm intruiged

David75
Mon, 11-19-2007, 01:50 AM
This anime seems to have a lot of dark plots to it, really dark stuff. I'm intruiged

And I hope they keep up the good work and give us a nice finale...
I really hope the many references to other anime styles were just there to catch attention somewhere else, when dark underplots are setting up.

rgrintz
Wed, 11-21-2007, 10:13 PM
here's ep 8:

http://m.3.3.w.fansub-torrents.com/%5Bm.3.3.w%5D_Myself_Yourself_-_08_%28XviD%29_%5B9EE74436%5D.avi.torrent

Yukimura
Wed, 11-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Go Sana, chase back those sad memories with your caramel of emotional support!

Anyway good episode, lots of emotions and memories come to the surface. Sana's character really grew in esteem this ep, he's got the hallmarks of a proper man.

The watch definately seems to be a symbol of a traumatic experience in his past but whatever it was he sucks it up and not only deals with it but offers to support the weak Nanaka who apparently can't face her own experience and keep functioning.

I also loved how his childhood comments about it being normal for girls to be scared of nightmares but not boys foreshadowed what would happen later where Nanaka loses it when reminded of her traumatic experience while he is able to hold it together and support her when reminded of his.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 11-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Maybe Sana killed his father or something, like some other character I know.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-22-2007, 07:17 PM
I don't think it would be his father, since he reacted when Nanaka said he was having fun with his new friends. The reminding factor could have been "fun", but I think it was more "friend" that triggered it. So that's the significance of the violin. It wasn't what caused her parents to die, but it was the only thing left, and it most likely reminds her of everything she'd lost. It really seems like Hoshino's out of the triangle now, if ti was ever considered to be a triangle. The only one that doesn't seem to have a dark past now is Aoi. Yuzuki's parent-out-working situation is exactly like the loli's, and much of the young population these days. No telling what'll happen next episode, very random power ranger style preview.

edit: with 5 episodes to go, the plot should hold strong. short series, but should make a very good one in my books.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-23-2007, 12:16 AM
I thought the trigger was the word "fun", implying that he himself had a traumatic event that cannot be considered as light hearted as Nanaka thinks his past is.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-23-2007, 03:49 AM
Hmm, I think you're probably right, about the fun part that is. I was sort of thinking he killed someone (don't know why, Ghost Hound influence here), but now that he says "I'll become strong, I have someone to protect" implies that he was weak before. Suicide fits weakness better than homicide I think

MFauli
Fri, 11-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Hm, i dont exactly remember the former episodes, but at least in this one, when Sana used the telephone at the end of the show, it sounded as if he was talking to some answering equipment, and not speaking with a person.

David75
Fri, 11-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Hmm, I think you're probably right, about the fun part that is. I was sort of thinking he killed someone (don't know why, Ghost Hound influence here), but now that he says "I'll become strong, I have someone to protect" implies that he was weak before. Suicide fits weakness better than homicide I think

When watching this ep, I also watched the OP.
You have a scene with Sana on a pedestrian crossing, it's raining, grey sky, people passing by fade, he is sad looking, head down.
He has earplugs on, then camera shifts to his left hand, the mp3 player LCD text changes to "Bye"

It may be a strong indication that he tried to suicide himself.

I wonder how Nanaka will react when she learns he also has a very heavy burden and she only focused on her... never carrying for what may have happened to him. The camera focusing on his watch we think to be a key, may higlight this. That being a reaction to Nanaka saying he forgot her and was havin fun with his new friends.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-24-2007, 06:26 AM
I definitely think it's been suicide. Sana reacted at the end of the sentence, so it could be either the whole line, or just the verb. It has never seemed like they were focusing on the watch, but rather whatever is beneath it. Remember from the fishing trip that he doesn't take it off.

Another question is when Nanaka wrote all those. Before or after the fire? I'd say it's more likely she wrote them before the fire, because afterward, she was either in the hospital or already disillusioned and a changed person. [acts stupid] Who could it be that set the fire? [/acts stupid] (as if a not-quite-so-mysterious silhouette wasn't in the OP) Hopefully Sana will read the letters. I'm sure he can find out exactly what happened. The police never had access to those. Obviously, no one did. I still wonder what Shuusuke yelled to Sana on the train though and if it is related. I'm starting to wonder if it was just something stupid.

Either way, I really loved the scene where Nanaka broke down, accusing him of never being there for her. Very moving. As good as Shuusuke saying the violin was the only thing she had time to grab, while the bracelet Sana gave her completely dominates the frame.

I thought she might be developed, but I really don't think Aoi is anything more than comedy relief. If they complete Shuuri's mini-arc with Sayuka, Shuusuke will probably be finished as well (he got a good amount this episode).

Kraco
Sat, 11-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Another question is when Nanaka wrote all those. Before or after the fire? I'd say it's more likely she wrote them before the fire, because afterward, she was either in the hospital or already disillusioned and a changed person.

That's a very good point indeed. Considering the amount of letters I tend to think they weren't written immediately but during some period of time, and they probably got worse, with the "help me" messages on top (last written). That would support, if true, your hypothesis. I'm inclined to think you are right and thus the fire actually wasn't the problem itself but just the final phase of it. So, what actually is the problem, then? Did she have bad parents or something?

Let's hope Sana will read them to find out.

David75
Sat, 11-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Well for the silhouette we see in fire, hard to really know.
Top hair are short, but lower ones are long.
I'll have to check, but Nanaka's Uncle fits?
Hard to tell, because it's a reflection in young Nanaka's eye...

And I also was telling to myself when the letters fell :"Quick, read those f***ng letters, mo**on. Do not loose a second!"
But it seems he didn't read them when he met Nanaka after discovering them.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Myself ; Yourself 9 (http://m.3.3.w.fansub-torrents.com/%5Bm.3.3.w%5D_Myself_Yourself_-_09_%28XviD%29_%5B589C3430%5D.avi.torrent)

Yukimura
Thu, 11-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Nanaka's uncle is looking pretty damn suspicious now...motive, opportunity, and potentially a witness to place him at the scene of the crime. It's nowhere near enough for a conviction, but I'd put him next to Nanaka at the top of the suspect list.

The Shuuri stuff seemed somewhat out of place in this ep though, so much attention was given to Nanaka and Sana that when they abruptly switched to her it sort of took me out of the moment. And I hadn't noticed any physical cues from her (possibly b/c I'm reading subtitles not watching body language) pointing to her 'holding it in'.

David75
Thu, 11-29-2007, 01:26 AM
The uncle eh?
So deciphering the OP wan't totally a bad idea.
Will watch the episode later (much later) in the day as I'm about to leave for work

DDBen
Thu, 11-29-2007, 02:00 AM
Rather slow and out of place episode with all the build up from the last one. It was alright but I just never love the amusement park episodes like this.

That said the uncle looks very guilty but then again this show has been building up a lot of plot lines making the audience know the resolution and then ditching them for later. It just all seems to easy for this stuff to keep being put off like this.

Ryllharu
Thu, 11-29-2007, 07:31 AM
They didn't show Shuri's face most of the episode, it was usually hidden by her hair. Especially during the Animegengar show. Shuusuke must have noticed then that she was "holding it in." Where is the significance of Hoshino seeing Shuri cry? Perhaps it has something to do with her relationship with her own nephew or whatever he is.

Taking from the OP again, the silhouette with a tear running down her cheek appears to be Hoshino.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-29-2007, 07:19 PM
The preview was a bit wacky this time too, so it'll be hard to say what it'll be about. I'm guessing that we'll be heading back to the Twin Hills aspect of the story. I hope they get further in finding about those lost animals and doing something about it instead of having everybody in the story wondering, and everybody in the audience knowing it was the old lady.They pretty much gave it away here, having Nanaka remember the silhouette in the flames, then almost immediately showing the back view of her uncle. All the little bits an pieces being inserted here and there though, really makes me think as to whether there will be any significant storyline to it, or whether it's simply there to add insight into the characters. With 4 episodes to go, I don't think they'll be doing the whole band thing, which was that I thought was going to happen at the end.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Myself ; Yourself Episode 10 (http://m.3.3.w.fansub-torrents.com/%5Bm.3.3.w%5D_Myself_Yourself_-_10_%28XviD%29_%5BFC044F07%5D.avi.torrent) gogogogogo!

edit: woops. Still had my mind on ef.

Ryllharu
Wed, 12-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Honestly didn't expect twincest to appear in this anime, but lo and behold...

Well, whatever faith I had imagined in Sayuka appears to be utterly misguided. She's a total slut just like Shuri said, and a bitch too. Too bad. That could have been a nice angle if they played the step-mother against the asshole father.

It's the return of the black blood! I could understand why they did it back in School Days and Higurashi given the news at the time of the former and the ages of the characters in the latter, but this one didn't make any sense. They had the red fish blood earlier no problem, but then censor Shuri cutting her finger?! Though Hoshino really did bleed out a lot and from a violent incident, Shuri lost 3 drops in a common kitchen accident. WTF.

@Buffalobiian: We all know you meant eps 10, but you've been having problems with numbers a lot lately.:p

Board of Command
Wed, 12-05-2007, 11:17 PM
The incest in this episode kinda came out of nowhere... What's even weirder is that it seems to be mutual.

Yukimura
Thu, 12-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Incest
–noun
1. sexual intercourse between closely related persons.
2. the crime of sexual intercourse, cohabitation, or marriage between persons within the degrees of consanguinity or affinity wherein marriage is legally forbidden.

Contrary to popular belief there is nothing wrong or inappropriate about liking your twin sibling a lot and being closer to them than anyone else in your life. Nor is there something wrong with deriving a feeling of comfort and safety from being in physical contact with them (didn't any of your parents hug you?). Holding hands is not having sex, regardless of what Christian conservatives might think. (Even if two siblings did want to fuck I don't think it should be a big a deal for anyone other than them and a maybe a deity or two, as long as they don't procreate...but that's a whole other discussion).

Anyway, it's nice to see a pair of siblings depicted not as hating each other but as being very close due to growing up together and suffering the same hardships together with no one else to turn to. Shuu and Shurii are very much like a couple in the emotional sense and while it is easy for us to make the assumption that emotional intimacy must imply sexual intimacy it's just not fair. Their only other friends after Sana moved away were a complete flake and a girl whose parents caught on fire, so I would imagine they spent most of those years Sana was gone playing together alone (this sounds so wrong).

And poor Hoshino-san :( I knew that old bat was going to go off the deep end and hurt someone, but I didn't expect it to happen so suddenly, nor did I expect it to be Hoshino got ganked like that. I'm glad that she lived but I'm curious as to how it might have played out if she and Sana had had more time for development and she had died.

Ryllharu
Thu, 12-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Back off on us a little Yuki. It's obvious that twincest didn't occur, but the vibes were all over the place. It's not the emotional proximity, nor the hand holding. It's the strange moonlight that bathed all over Shuusuke when Shuri looked at him. I just find it hard to imagine that he'd have nothing better to do than go away with her. Hasn't he made friends? He wasn't with Shuri 24/7 when this series began, nor when some of the troubling incidents around her began.

Shuusuke appeared to have his own life (or worse, he really just sat at school or sat at home while Shuri got herself into all kinds of fun and trouble). They had separate interests. Shuri helped at the old folks home, and Shuu...did whatever we never saw him doing.

And yes, I like the word "twincest." It is as fun to type as it is to say.

Board of Command
Thu, 12-06-2007, 12:52 AM
(didn't any of your parents hug you?)
Nope. Never.

Yukimura
Thu, 12-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Sorry about the hostility, the main reason for it was that I was expecting them to actually do something, at least kiss, after reading your post half way through the episode and I feel I was mislead. I don't immediately vomit at the idea of sibling sexual relationships in fiction so I thought you were serious and it shifted my expectations.

As to Shuu and Shuuri, even if they did have friends they lived in the same house, lost their mom, disliked their step mom, and their dad seemed to ignore both of them. In the face of all that I think they would be more likely to develop a supportive relationship with each other than both seeking support from outside sources when they're both going through the same thing. I don't mean to discount them having separate lives, but who better to go cry to when their dad says something to the slutwife that reminds one of them of their mom being dead than the sibling who can understand the pain because they feel the same thing?

narutosharingan
Thu, 12-06-2007, 01:24 AM
That old lady was scary crazy. Poor Hoshino, hopefully she isn't scarred from this event. And I'm curious to know what causes Sana to become like that.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Notice when he goes outside too that he grabs his left wrist aka watch wrist for most people. The moonlight scene. They depicted it the same way as if they were really lovers, but that's fine. It's a form of companionate love (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_theory_of_love). I thought it was either the stepmother who wrote the letter to get rid of the twins (initial idea) or other candidates in the election. Thought the old lady was gonna stop too, when Sana and Hoshino opened the door, as normal murderers/criminals probably would. Guess this just proves what's on our minds: she's not normal. Now this time we have the twins leaving on the train, and Sana running. Still wondering if what Shuu yelled at him at the beginning had any significance, we know now it wasn't about the fire thing that happened to Nanaka.

TheBladeChild
Thu, 12-06-2007, 02:14 AM
Wow just wow, their father is a complete ass. And regarding the whole twincest thing: I too was expecting something at the end. Does this mean that they will emancipate themselves and live apart from their father?

shinta|hikari
Thu, 12-06-2007, 04:08 AM
Judging from the preview, not just yet.

@Yuki - from what you have explained so far, I completely agree with your view on incest. I wouldnt think of blaming the twins had anything happened after the ending credits.

MFauli
Thu, 12-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Incest always makes stories more sexy, so yeah :P

But, awsome episode, so many things happening.
Old lady attempting to kill was unexpected, and Sana finally showed his reactions to others, though Shuri and Hoshino dont think of him that suspiciously, yet.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Since we've started to name assholes here, I thought the vice principal doesn't deserve to be left off the list. He's right up there with the Dad, sucking up to the fat lady he serves. The principal earned some points back after today, so I'll leave her off.

animus
Fri, 12-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Maybe it's just me but don't you hate it when you get pissed off and then somebody keeps trying to hold you back and telling you Calm Down like Sana was doing? That's just fanning the flames imo.

Dark Dragon
Sat, 12-08-2007, 12:36 PM
I've noticed that this show get compare to School Days ALOT.

I don't see that though, what this felt more like is what Shuffle would've been like if the mood of the last 4-5 episode was dominant in the entire series.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-09-2007, 05:44 AM
I think its the violence and blood that brings the comparison about.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-09-2007, 08:54 AM
I think they used the red blood in the fishing episode simply because black wasn't necessary. They decided to use black for the scene where Hoshino spills hers for graphic violence/blood's sake, and decided to keep that consistent this episode, so made the apple cut black too. Red and black blood in one ep would have been a bit weird.

Ryllharu
Wed, 12-12-2007, 06:27 PM
[m.3.3.w] Myself; Yourself eps 11 (http://m.3.3.w.fansub-torrents.com/%5Bm.3.3.w%5D_Myself_Yourself_-_11_%28XviD%29_%5BBF9A3A02%5D.avi.torrent)

Can't say I saw this one coming...

TheBladeChild
Wed, 12-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Well I did the twins to do that, but the Hoshino thing was TOTALLY unexpected. And she seems like such a nice girl too :P

Yukimura
Wed, 12-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Wow Hoshino just came flying out of left field and kicked us all in the face! And to think I felt so bad for her after Shuri face planted her into the wall running out of the classroom.

As random as that whole monologue was it felt too abrupt for it to really sink in. I mean, she was so sweet and innocent....but Sana's reaction was interesting as well, he showed a little bie of emotion at the beginning but then he just sat there and seemed to be genuinely listening to her story and was even moved by it. He's a better man than most to be able to listen to all that without bitch slapping her and then give her good advice instead of rubbing her face into the consequences of her actions.

Ryllharu
Wed, 12-12-2007, 08:49 PM
I think Hoshino recognized that all the getting stabbed, and as she'll eventually find out, the two of them running away together was the result. She suffered enough already, and Sana picked up on that.

When she told him about how she felt running to save Shuri, he responded rather forcefully and quickly. I wonder if the scar or whatever hidden under his wristwatch has anything to do with the way he responded.

Back to Hoshino, she'd been lying to everyone this whole time. The part in the speech where she said she always imagined doing terrible things to teachers and classmates. That certainly never fit with the impression we got from her before, but I thought it was very convincing. I wonder if she'll really give up on the sweet side and become nasty all the time, she certainly did a good job on Shuri when she told her the truth. Or maybe not, she's been lying about her personality for so long, she probably can't break the habit.

I love when Mai Nakahara plays evil characters, especially the ones who start out so sweet sounding. Ryuugu Rena <3

TheBladeChild
Wed, 12-12-2007, 10:07 PM
I dont think she'll be nasty all the time, I think she'll just be more honest with herself. I do believe that sweetness is part of her nature but she also has a dark side, dont we all? Anyway really hope this isnt the last we see of the twins, though its a good chance it is since the series is almost over :(

Well looks like this is gonna rap up with a finale with Sana and Nanaka dealing with their individual pasts. Really hope things works out for everyone.

oyabun
Thu, 12-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Oh men Yoshino really suprised me.. I even doubted myself about when she confessed because I thought that was not Yoshino. I rewatched the previous episode just to be sure that Yoshino was the injured girl. (bad memory, I know) What can I say, that was a really unexpected confession. But we all saw the twins escaping, eloping maybe? :D

narutosharingan
Thu, 12-13-2007, 03:42 PM
The end of the episode was really touching, with Sana trying to catch up with the train.

animus
Thu, 12-13-2007, 04:23 PM
It's kinda funny how the lesbians in anime all usually turn out to be the crazy ones.

But I have to say that it's pretty poor storywriting to blow the doors open on Hosino like this. There were no hints at all of her liking her. It seems very last minute that they threw that in there just so that it might stir something up that was missing. Just how I felt when I watched it.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Did no one cry when they saw Shuu and Sana part? It was really emotional, I agree. Last time I felt this way was watching the ending of F/S Night. Great way to tell us what Shuu said all those years ago too. The thing that made it so: music, Music MUSIC. They've played it a hundred times, but hell it works. I'm thinking that we'll spend one and a half episodes on Sana vs Nanaka, and have roughly 5mins~10mins of five years later type stuff.

MFauli
Fri, 12-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Damn, that ending made me nearly cry.
Somehow it´s always a lot more touching when guys start crying instead of girls, because you get to see them being all tough the whole series and suddenly it overcomes them.

But i wonder what will happen to the twins.
Will we see them again? And where are they going to? If they remain in Japan it shouldnt be too hard for police to find them.

Also, the only person left out from having some problem is, damn, now i forgot her name, weird voice, big boobs girl.

oyabun
Fri, 12-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Damn, that ending made me nearly cry.
Somehow it´s always a lot more touching when guys start crying instead of girls, because you get to see them being all tough the whole series and suddenly it overcomes them.

You like guys a lot don't you! You are Pro-Makoto right? hehe The ending scene was really good with the farewell and all.

Anyway the big boob girl's voice doesn't suit her. It seems so wrong... Its true that she's the only one without any sign of problems so far.. well.. we might be wrong..

Yukimura
Fri, 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Her name is Aoi, and I think her voice is awesome! I can understand why most people would probably disagree and call it annoying but I think it's so cute how she sounds like a crazy little girl all the time. I wish she would get at least some attention but at this point it looks like her only role in the story is going to be comic relief for all the drama the other characters have to deal with.

As to Shuu and Shuri's departure that scene was really touching, but I was too busy being shocked by Hoshino's confession to even notice the details. After rewatching just the second half of the episode I was really drawn into the train chase scene by the music and how touching the role reversal was. I feel like it was a little rushed though, but that's to be expected since the series is only 13 eps.

oyabun
Fri, 12-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Really? only 13 episodes? well the twins are out of the way, Nanaka and Shuri will probably cover the remaining episodes. Unless Aoi-chan will become a psycho,have sex with Shuri and kills alls of her friends. I agree that sometimes Aoi can be cute. At times when she is surprised at something and jumbles her words. Its really funny

kenren
Sat, 12-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Nanaka and Sana are my favourites, so I'm expecting something good to happen between them. Plus, it's almost the end of the series, something good MUST happen o_O. Oyabin's thoughts are scary >.>

Not that nothing good happened between them before..more good would be nice. XD

oyabun
Sun, 12-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Laughs Sinisterly.... kukukuku Scary indeed.. will there be any break for this anime? Clannad episode 13 won't air until jan next year T_T

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Laughs Sinisterly.... kukukuku Scary indeed.. will there be any break for this anime? Clannad episode 13 won't air until jan next year T_T

I don't know if there'll be a break later on, but not for this week. :D

Myself ; Yourself 12 - Red Memories (http://m.3.3.w.fansub-torrents.com/%5Bm.3.3.w%5D_Myself_Yourself_-_12_%28XviD%29_%5BDFBC5BBD%5D.avi.torrent)

edit: Aftermath of Shuu leaving, followed by a little Sana/Nanaka development. Only a little. Just proves that Sana will break a promise with Shuu for Nanaka. They've set it up for climax next episode hopefully. Looks like no one has any confidence in either bloke's fishing skills.

animus
Thu, 12-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Haha, listening to Aoi's like listening to an army of unicorns and bunnies on acid.

oyabun
Thu, 12-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Oh yes her voice.. I really can't stand it, it made me skip some parts. For someone who wanted to go fishing, Sana really sucks big time.

Kraco
Fri, 12-21-2007, 03:03 AM
Indeed he does. But at least it's not due to lack of trying.

MFauli
Fri, 12-21-2007, 04:38 AM
Aoi´s voice sounds so artificial. Is it made with computer? Really annoying in this episode >_<

Ryllharu
Fri, 12-21-2007, 08:43 AM
It's not really that bad. Tomoko Kaneda is capable of being much more annoying. If you think her high-pitched screeches are bad in Myself; Yourself, watch her play Renge in AirMaster.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-21-2007, 01:02 PM
No thanks haha.

Yukimura
Sat, 12-22-2007, 01:20 AM
Lol Renge was awesome, she even had mystical tracking powers. Anyway, Aoi's mom is pretty darn cool, it's not everyday you see a mom fondling her daughter and then making her a cake. Sensei was a bit of a disappointment, I was hoping she wouldn't need to be snapped out of an emo fit by Sana as well but I guess she just cared too much to let it go.

Yukimura
Sat, 12-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Lol Renge was awesome, she even had mystical tracking powers. Anyway, Aoi's mom is pretty darn cool, it's not everyday you see a mom fondling her daughter and then making her a cake. Sensei was a bit of a disappointment, I was hoping she wouldn't need to be snapped out of an emo fit by Sana as well but I guess she just cared too much to get over it.

David75
Wed, 12-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Ep13, Xvid for now..

http://www.mininova.org/get/1068896

Edit:
It's a bit sad everything important has been stuffed at the far end like this.
But well, this ends the drama.
Strange that Nanaka chooses the same method as Sana.

They really need to have a full lenght aftermath ep for every show...

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Hmm, well this ends one of the most highlighted series this season. Final thoughts: I liked this. Nanaka's speech sums it all up. The ending wasn't quite as emotional as Shuu's leaving IMO, but it ends well nonetheless. As David says, it explains a lot of things. Who started the fire, why Nanaka saved the violin, but never played it again, and confirms our accurate guess of what's underneath Sana's watch. Also did the "ten years later" thing that I suspected. Asami wanted to save the national park in place of Shuri. Speaking of Shuri, I found it strange that they're still holding hands ten years later. I thought it was an emotional kinda thing that happened because they didn't want to be separated, but now, they're like, late 20s. Maybe they really DO have a thing for each other. If that's the case, then it adds a bit more meaning to why Shuu kept looking at his sister when asked about his ideal woman. I'd say this ending did do the series justice, unlike some other ones of late, and earns itself a high rank in my books.

oyabun
Wed, 12-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Hmmm Nanaka's mother surely deserve the beating. She just went all out.. Didn't even care to apologize.. An okay ending for me. Not bad nor great. I wonder what happened to the twins? The must have kids now,, hehe

Ryllharu
Thu, 12-27-2007, 12:02 AM
They did pull a nice bait and switch on the viewers. All this time we kept thinking the uncle had done it, and he even mentioned that he was suspected at one point. I have to commend them for that. The twists in the story were incredibly abrupt, and you really couldn't expect any of them (excepting Sana's wristwatch...which was obvious).

But it's the curse of the black blood and time constraints that ultimately sours this series for me. There's no impact when the blood is black. The two shots of Sana and Nanaka in the bathtubs should have been very disturbing, but when it looks like they just spilled a can of oil, it's hard to feel anything. I know it's something we're all just going to have to get used to, but even the first show that was forced to censor the blood (School Days) had no shading, and it was so harsh that the impact was still there, perhaps even intensified. Here, I felt cheated.

They also kept up the twincest angle. That's commitment I guess. A little odd that they never showed their faces, and were discretely sitting way in the back during the epilogue. Hoshino's cruel little joke became reality.

The time constraints is what really gets me though. Two and a half episodes on Hinako, though entertaining at times, drag the series down. Sure, she's cute and all, adds to the comedy relief, but she ultimately had zero impact on the story. They could have used one episode to lead us into Hoshino's betrayal, deepened some of Nanaka's emotional scarring right at the beginning or after the mailbox episode. Given some resolution on the twin's household, their cuckolded asshole father, and their bitch of a step-mother. Given Aoi a storyline...the list goes on.

I'm glad for an epilogue, but they could have done so much more with this series and the last 5 episodes have been more or less a total train wreck.

Started as my favorite series of the season, but just falls short.

oyabun
Thu, 12-27-2007, 01:28 AM
They did pull a nice bait and switch on the viewers. All this time we kept thinking the uncle had done it, and he even mentioned that he was suspected at one point. I have to commend them for that. The twists in the story were incredibly abrupt, and you really couldn't expect any of them (excepting Sana's wristwatch...which was obvious).

Hmmm not really... When I saw the flashback with Nanaka's violin teacher, I always though that there was something suspicious about it. And when her mother came to the room I got the idea that there was an affair between her mother and the teacher. There is also a hunch that Nanaka's father was the arsonist. That is why I'm not surprise about the revelation and all..

David75
Thu, 12-27-2007, 01:54 AM
Now that everyone has had time to watch...
I feel it's a bit too much in a one ep span.
And I find extremely strange someone would be so violent with their wife without any hints of this potential violence before.
I mean, it's possible she's dead even before he starts the fire. In a way, this scene is more violent than the suicide ones with false blood color.
I wonder how it would be possible that someone becomes so violent out of the blue.
Plus they were all kindergarten friends.

They didn't care to explain how they got married too. It's only an hyptohesis that she was two timing him. Although it's a sound one, there's always the possibility the wedding was very quickly set since they knew each other for so long.

I'll maybe have to rewatch it, because when watching this ep, I had forgotten how nanaka's mother looked like and had forgotten about the violin teacher.

Regarding suspicions the police had, I wonder why. Because everything was in the scene: Lighter, oil, oil tank. And the way oil was spilled, the way oil started to burn are all details forensyc have easy access to. They probably would even know the state of nanaka's mother and father when the fire started... So there should have been no suspicions at all.

However, although this ep was too much of a contraction, I liked it.
I was really eager for Sana to enter the bathroom quicker, as I thought he was
already too late to save Nanaka.

DDBen
Thu, 12-27-2007, 03:33 AM
Well that was rather abrupt the last couple episides of this series just tried to do way to much in way to little time. Overall I liked the series and the twists as a whole were well done. The issue is to many of them lacked any sort of foreshadowing and well I don't like unresolved twincest.

I've got to agree with basically all the points everyone has made and I personally feel this series should have been given the full 26 or atleast 24 episodes to better flesh out the situation.

I'm still a bit stuck on the twins I mean not showing faces and not having the vast majority of the characters even notice each other seems rather out of place. On top of that what was Sana doing with his teacher from 10 years previous when he made no attempt to contact any of his you know life long friends?

The black blood did slightly damage things for me but not even close to as much as how they were just slamming twists into place for the end and never showing any real resolution. The crazy old lady tried to murder someone and it should have been obvious she killed the pets by that point so why do we get no solid resolution of the event despite having several episodes of buildup for it.

Also why on earth did Hoshino cling to Sana like she did if she was suppose to be a lesbian obsessed with Shuri... It makes perfect sense that she would use Sana to get invited to group things but it really doesn't fit the amount of blatant advances she made towards him if that was her goal.

Anyway for all my minor complaints this was a good series likely about a 7-8 on a 10 point scale. Had it been a full season show it would have more then likely reached 9+ status but to much rushing of important matters and to much forced comic relief with loli characters wasted the time the last few episodes sorely needed.

Ryllharu
Thu, 12-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Hmmm not really... When I saw the flashback with Nanaka's violin teacher, I always though that there was something suspicious about it. And when her mother came to the room I got the idea that there was an affair between her mother and the teacher. There is also a hunch that Nanaka's father was the arsonist. That is why I'm not surprise about the revelation and all..
Yeah, all things shown only in this episode. That's my point, and what I had said. All we had to go on up until then was the silhouette in the OP and a few of Nanaka's flashbacks. None of which showed the violin teacher, none of which showed what her father looked like, and none of which related anything about any relationship between them. It was all kept secret until this episode. Before, we'd only know the uncle's silhouette looks the same as the one in the OP.

MFauli
Thu, 12-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Well, everything has been said.
Ok ending, ok series.
It really feels out of place now how much screen time they gave to Hinako, and how quick the main story was finished off.

And Aoi´s voice didnt suit her near 30 year old-self at all. She sounds like a grandma at that point.

After all, i liked School Days better, because it´s middle episodes caused a lot of discussions ^^ and the ending was just awsome. The best episode of Myself Yourself probably was the Twincest-episode (lol, what a name), because of that sad goodbye-scene.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-28-2007, 01:14 AM
Well, everything has been said.
The best episode of Myself Yourself probably was the Twincest-episode (lol, what a name), because of that sad goodbye-scene.

Yeah, this ending lacked emotion, but I didn't end up hating the ending. Has anyone played the game here? I'm wondering if they wanted to show this series' happenings in the same way as the game. Might help explain the timing of everything.

animus
Fri, 12-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Nanaka's mother truly was a bitch. Can't blame the husband for cracking her skull wide open. She brought it on herself.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-29-2007, 02:22 AM
True. There are so many ways of handling that living room fight without it ending up in murder suicide.

David75
Sat, 12-29-2007, 03:00 AM
True. There are so many ways of handling that living room fight without it ending up in murder suicide.

Next question would be wy did she act this way, and did not even try to calm him when he started beating her...

I guess that she did this because her true love was dead and she didn't even care what would happen.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Either way she is one stupid bitch.

kenren
Sun, 12-30-2007, 02:52 AM
I did not expect the series to end with a time jump. Still, an okay ending though we don't get to see what happened to Shuu/Shuri's stepmother ;)

Barcode120x
Wed, 01-02-2008, 08:39 PM
I just finished watching it and I have to say, it was all great until the ending. That 10 year gap killed it for me :(. You know, I expected the usual falling in love since they have similar situations, but it turns out they don't until 10 years later. I thought that part was a bit too fast. Well, each anime has its own surprises :p

By the way, does the Title have anything to do with the anime? I can't think of how it's related, same with the ending song. Maybe I should listen to it :o

animus
Wed, 01-02-2008, 09:12 PM
It's the title of Nanaka's violin piece she made as a kid for Sana.

Besides that I have no idea.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-02-2008, 10:03 PM
The song was originally composed as a farewell present for Sana all those years ago. Now, after the time skip, it's finally been completed, but this time with the experience that they've all been through, ie the anime. Since the song represents all they've been through, the anime's title: Myself ; Yourself.

David75
Thu, 01-03-2008, 02:03 AM
The song was originally composed as a farewell present for Sana all those years ago. Now, after the time skip, it's finally been completed, but this time with the experience that they've all been through, ie the anime. Since the song represents all they've been through, the anime's title: Myself ; Yourself.

That's it.
Their full story, including their will to suicide themselves at some point.