PDA

View Full Version : The new Funimation Dub

DarthEnderX
Tue, 10-02-2007, 11:57 AM
I guess the first episode of One Piece dubbed by Funimation aired this Saturday.

I missed it, but from what I'm hearing it is pretty much awesome. Anyone else happen to catch it?

Kraco
Tue, 10-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Ho... I watched parts of it on Youtube and... I wouldn't have believed I could ever say this, but it's not that bad. Of course I still prefer the Japanese soundtrack, but it wouldn't be impossible at all to listen to the English dub either.

animus
Tue, 10-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Just checked it out, and it's so much better. It's not amazing, but it's decent I guess. But in comparison to the 4kids one, it's like a million times better.

I don't like Sanji's voice or Zoro's voices very much though. Zoro sounds like Piccollo from DBZ, and Sanji doesn't sound enthused at all when it comes to girls (which is very apparent he does in the Japanese dub) Same with Chopper, sounds like a dumb Blonde.

BioAlien
Tue, 10-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Hikari e(Intro) In english(Funanimation dub)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=goLTsJdqte4

Well, I got to say, it really isn't as bad as the 4kids one.
Part 1 of episode 144 dubbed by Funanimation:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9MuvmZgz8i0
Part 2:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HiNOxtD6H8U

Part 3:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=an1ltZnQ7kE

Kraco
Tue, 10-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Zoro sounds badass, though, so it's not all bad.

I have only watched a few random episodes of DBZ so maybe that makes it easier for me.

itadakimasu
Tue, 10-02-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't like Sanji's voice or Zoro's voices very much though. Zoro sounds like Piccollo from DBZ, and Sanji doesn't sound enthused at all when it comes to girls (which is very apparent he does in the Japanese dub) Same with Chopper, sounds like a dumb Blonde.

that is exactly what i posted in another thread ... sanji needs to be loud and silly ^^

i thought that luffys voice was done well, its not unbearable like the previous dub.

Death13a
Tue, 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM
I take Japanese's voices over dub any day but at least i don't feel like vomiting. And people who see it first time may actually pick it up.

Lucifus
Tue, 10-02-2007, 06:51 PM
I was wowed by the opening. Luffy voice fit perfectly with his character.:cool:

Zoro is...a bit different but hey, it works. A ton better than before.

Sanji......that voice doesn't fit em, thats my only complaint.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 10-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Pretty much the same as everyone else. It was pretty good. And pretty good is 50x better than 4Kids version.

I was really impressed with the opening and ending.

I mean, you use the japanese video and the japanese music. But then get rewrite the lyrics in enlish, into something that doesn't sound stupid like japanese lyrics always do. And finally, they get singers that SOUND like the original singers. Frankly, that's alot of work, and I salute them from it.

XanBcoo
Wed, 10-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Hehe, I gave this a listen and I think it's good. I'm not really into One Piece, but I would watch this.

I haven't seen a Funi dub in almost a year now, but they're still top of the game. I think it's a little funny that they still stick to their regulars (Christopher Sabat, Eric Vale, AND Sonny Strait as main cast members? I wonder how long it will be 'til Sean Schemmel shows up), but at least those same people are setting standards for good dubs. Luci Christian is also good at playing bitchy lead females.

Augury
Thu, 10-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Wow, maybe it's because I haven't watched any dubs or cartoons for years, but Luffy's (and Ussop, Nami, and Chopper's) voices was a big shock for me. It sounds so... kiddy-American. I guess that fits though, the whole production by Funimation feels like it's been done well for a Saturday morning cartoon.

I remember this episode. An interesting part for me was how Funimation dealt with Japanese culture humor - in the original version both Nami and Luffy call Masira a monkey which he interprets as "handsome" since they sound the same (apparently). In the dub they find a workaround that seems plausible without being an obvious change.

I also felt that the intro/endings were very impressive because the songs sound the same and the words fit the original lyrics.