PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Would you watch Shippudden...

DB_Hunter
Fri, 09-14-2007, 09:53 AM
... if you saw it before the original series?

With the latest incarnation of shit in the form of "Clone Wars" in Shippudden, it is clear that many fans of the original series are dissapointed with what is happening with the anime right now.

To highlight my point, consider the following. We are currently at episode 28 of Shippudden, and essentially still in the first arc. Not that the length of such an arc would be a problem in itself, but in this case it is as a lot of the episodes have been stuffed with fillers. This comes hot on the heels of over one and a half years of Naruto filler.

In comparison, with the original series we were by now in to the second arc (Chunnin exams) which had followed on from the Zabuza & Haku arc. This arc had action, story with depth and kick ass music. We all know what happened in the Chunnin arc so no need to talk about the levels of action there.

So vote and state your opinions. Personally, I wouldn't watch Naruto if Shippudden was introduced to me first.

mage
Fri, 09-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Probably not. It's moving way too slow.

Super5
Fri, 09-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Actually, I think if people watched shippuden before the original naruto, they would enjoy it more. I mean, think about it: the early episodes were stuffed with flashbacks from the original series which were boring as hell to anyone who watched the original. The Sakura-Naruto-Kakashi fight was practically all filler, but it was interesting and it had decent action. The Gaara-Deidara fight was dragged out, which was slightly annoying, but it concluded in about a month's time. The clone fights have been really annoying, but we get to see cool stuff in-between, so people won't abandon the series completely.

I think that new viewers who started at this point might not keep watching it though. If they started at the beginning of shippuden and got hooked, then they'd keep watching no matter what. Aside from the obvious filler material - the main complaint I have is that they raised expectations so high with the initial 5 minutes or so of Shippuden, that there was no way they could keep up that level of quality. Plus, the opening had nothing at all to do with the current arc. They just jumped in at an awkward point in a different arc, and then jumped right out again at an equally awkward point. Then the animation went way downhill. I would stop watching Naruto to punish them for the sorry state of affairs, but I'm such an addict I know it would be impossible. Ah well...

masamuneehs
Fri, 09-14-2007, 12:30 PM
No.

It's simply not that well made, too thin with decent animation, and the characters besides Sasori and Deidara are all constructions of past events, which doesn't interest me at all. In fact, I think there's some long-time Naruto fans that are dropping this thing.

We didn't wait two and a half years through garbage fillers for mangling of canon material.

itadakimasu
Fri, 09-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I think that if somebody had not seen naruto before, and they just started fresh w\ shippuuden it would make them want to watch the original series. Since have read all of the manga, i agree with some other people that it is moving slow. But for people who don't read the manga I would assume that its just fine. The story line is still good and there is some good action going on. It is only going to get better (unless fillers start again)

DarthEnderX
Fri, 09-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Interesting question.

I guess to answer it though I'd have to ask in this hypothetical, does the original Naruto series not exist? Or does it exist and I simply haven't seen it?

If Shippuden was the start of a new series, I would probably find it odd that in the first 25 episodes theres a battle that runs on for over 10.

I mean, most entire anime series are over completely in less episodes than there's been of Shippuden now.

Janusz
Fri, 09-14-2007, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't. It's just crap how they drag things out, how the animation sucks almost every episode and how they stuff filler material in episodes where the real content is already stretched out way too far.

And quite frankly, the storyline doesn't really interest me either. Maybe that would change if there'd be some progress in it though, but now, as Darthender says, we've seen practically nothing in 28 episodes, whereas in the original series we'd 8 episodes into the Chuunin exams.

XanBcoo
Fri, 09-14-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm not even watching Shippuden now. Haven't watched it since episode 14.

So "no". I only watch series that grab my attention and have reasonably good plot and pacing. If it takes me more than 1 episode to get hooked, or for anything interesting to happen, then it's not worth my time.

Kraco
Sun, 09-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Impossible to say for sure, but if I had to make a guess, I don't think I'd be watching it. If the scenario is that I'd have only a slight idea what Naruto is and would watch Shippuuden as a totally new series. Too many times I've now thought I'm watching it just for the old times sake. Still, as it is now, for the old times sake is enough to keep me watching. For now.

Assassin
Sun, 09-16-2007, 01:29 PM
if you watched shippuden first you'd be pretty lost considering you're jumping in halfway through a series.

you wouldn't know any of the characters, the plot, and side stories, or techniques. Shippuden isn't a 'new' series like so many ppl consider it. Its the same old naruto. Atleast DBZ had its own plot from ep 1. You didnt have to know anything from DB to watch DBZ, You can't do that with naruto.

DeathscytheVII
Sun, 09-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Hell no, i don't need prior exposure to the original series to know that Shipuuden is dragged out and highly saturated with filler material. The pacing of the story has gone to hell, and by episode 28, the original Naruto had tones of tear jerking, awesome ninja strategizing, moments that distinguished itself from other animes. The only thing that comes close to awesome so far in the series is Sasori, but he alone can't make up for all the stupidity of team gai, every fight they've been in has been pointless and idiotic so far.

Lucifus
Sun, 09-16-2007, 05:14 PM
..............No.

I've already dropped Naruto since about episode 10 of Shippuden. This show has become a giant shytpie.

Board of Command
Sun, 09-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Shippudden is shit compared to the first ~70 episodes of the original series.

rgrintz
Sun, 09-16-2007, 06:19 PM
i probably would. i'm a glutton for punishment, i guess.

itadakimasu
Sun, 09-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Hell no, i don't need prior exposure to the original series to know that Shipuuden is dragged out and highly saturated with filler material. The pacing of the story has gone to hell, and by episode 28, the original Naruto had tones of tear jerking, awesome ninja strategizing, moments that distinguished itself from other animes. The only thing that comes close to awesome so far in the series is Sasori, but he alone can't make up for all the stupidity of team gai, every fight they've been in has been pointless and idiotic so far.

*sigh* i really don't want to trash shippuuden because it has had so many awesome moments so far... but deathscythe has some extremely valid points. i still think that if i came upon shippuuden having never heard of naruto that i would want to watch the rest of the series as fast or faster than i did when i first got ahold of it. i read the manga up to 255 or so because i didn't have highspeed to dl the anime :(

Crash
Sun, 09-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Honestly, no there is no way i'd still be watching. The only reason i'm still watching now is because i am foolishly holding on to the hope that they'll eventually return to pre-shippuuden greatness. Sadly all we've gotten so far is sub-par animation (barring 2 or 3 episodes that were made rather well. The first ep, Maybe the Gaara fight, and the Sasori fight are all that come to mind), horribly stretched and filler heavy episodes, not to mention a multitude of 2 week gaps between episode releases. If the original episodes of Naruto didn't exist and Shippuuden was a new series there is simply no way i'd still be watching, none.

I would stop watching Naruto to punish them for the sorry state of affairs, but I'm such an addict I know it would be impossible. Ah well...

That and you know, the fact that our downloading it and watching it on the internet has zero bearing on their ratings or profits.:p

itadakimasu
Sun, 09-16-2007, 10:15 PM
people that haven't read the manga dont usually have as keen an idea of what fillers are.

even though the chiyo/sakura/sasori fight spanned 6-7 eps, it ended with a bang... best part of shippuuden yet. hopefully this week its back to kakashi and naruto

Crash
Sun, 09-16-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't read the manga, but I'm still painfully aware of how stretched out the episodes are. It's usually fairly simply to tell whats filler in Naruto regardless because the writers are so terrible at making it.

Assertn
Mon, 09-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Is the point of this topic to bash shippuudden, or is the point to evaluate going backwards on a series after starting at the new plotline?

I think to more accurately answer DB_Hunter's question, I'd have to say that Shippuudden would be like DBZ as Naruto is to DB. That being said, I only really started with DBZ first...but that did get me interested in watching DB as well to catch the backstory (how oolong joined the group, goku and piccolo's rivalry, etc).

Although, that's not to imply that I ever actually FINISHED the DB series...

DB_Hunter
Mon, 09-17-2007, 12:26 PM
I watched DBZ first, albeit some of the arcs out of order. Saw one or two eps of DB and thought it was rubbish. DBGT was even worse.

masamuneehs
Mon, 09-17-2007, 12:43 PM
i think this thread brings up a good question. To some people, the Naruto anime ended almost two years ago. Those who waited for Shippuuden with baited breath were expecting something, and then the studio went out and declared that Shippuuden would be a brand new series, if only for marketing gimmick effect.

So then, it's not unfair for us to be judging Shippuuden's worth so far as it's own series. Personally, it takes a great deal of things for granted. The missing backstory is not the biggest hole, to me it's the fact that Shippuuden simply assumes you know all about chakra, jutsu and the general makeup of the world. In a way, this starkly contradicts the idea of making this a brand new series...

Also, a place to vent about Shippuuden, which I can rather safely say has disappointed more than it has impressed so far, is somewhat due considering the collective sufferring through filler hell and the general anticipation, just to be brought this.

Yukimura
Tue, 09-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Good question. If I was still the complete anime noob I was when I first started watching Naruto and I was introduced to Shippuden instead, I think I would at least give it a try in the hopes of seeing the scene that opened episode 1. But I don't think I would have stuck it out this long since it took them 27 episodes to offer even a hint that that scene might be coming up (a hint that you'd have to have seen the original to even pick up). Even as I am now, I don't think Shippuuden would have kept me watching this long if I didn't already know what was going to happen and when it was going to happen (or at least when I thought it would happen, since they seem intent on pushing things back as much as they possibly can).

AbstractTheorem
Tue, 09-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Naruto has gone down the craper once again, but this time it kinda hurts a little... because
these episodes were all new, sort of.

Before when Naruto when down the craper it was becuase of the season+more of Fillers which padded the time between the end of the Sasuke chase arc and the beginning of the time skip stuff. Then Fillers were clearly defined; for the most part fillers were single episodes or complete arcs, which were sub par, but could be avoided...not anymore.

It seems that the new approach they decided upon was to WEAVE the filler directly into non filler episodes and in between non-filler episodes. Its vomitous what they have done to the show. If someone sat down with a video editor and all the Shippuuden episodes thus far I would be surprised if they could pull out more then 5 episodes worth of actual content.

Before Sakura & Grandma's battle began, Grandma decided to tell the story ot the Kazekage who went missing.....3 seconds later.... her brother retold the story..in the same episode. Now I mean I understand the flashback thing (although annoying) sometimes its needed/useful to remind the viewers of the story thus far.....but seriously same content two times in one episode

In this most recent episode of filler awesomeness, they took 10 minutes to explain "the clones do not get tired". Realizing your own limitations and surpassing them is a common theme of this (and loads of other) anime, but being treated to "we have to get stronger" wisdom from Rock Lee afterwards.....well personally this was enough to give me that "time to delete all Naruto Shippuuden" feeling.

Although these are just two examples of the filler "weaved" into non-filler episodes, just go back and watch a few episodes again, and you'll find a lot more examples.

Its time to face facts, Naruto is never going to be like it was in it's prime, even the manga is at a loss for creativity....everything is beginning to feel recycled (i.e. Rasengan---> New move --> BIGGER RASENGAN ---> NEWER MOVE ---> BIGGER RASENGAN EXTRA!).

Why is it happening? Greed compromising artistic values maybe? Masashi Kishimoto is just running out of ideas? I do not know, and honestly at this point, I don't know if I care; one thing is certain tho, I am done wasting my time waiting for something good to happen with Naruto; something good already did happen and it passed a long awhile ago.

So if you couldn't figure out my answer to this poll by now, NO I wouldn't watch Shippuuden if I didn't watch the original seasons of Naruto; actually even with the connection of the original seasons, I am not watching Shippuuden anymore.

SilentSnake
Fri, 09-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Honestly, I'm glad I started to read the manga as soon as fillers started...

I don't want to bash shippuden, but :

1. It has horrible music compared to original series.
2. It has got worse look as well (I miss the studios that made eps like 30 or 66-67).
If there were eps made by the above then - my bad, I must have missed it.
3. They try to make it more mature but it ends up being cheap, predictable and comic (like "Sasuke-Kun!!!!!!!!!" x millions of times way).

I could say 4. It's slow but I can understand that they don't want to catch up with the manga.

Nevertheless -> they don't do their best to keep it top-notch anymore and that's sadly an undeniable fact :(

Danad_corps
Fri, 09-21-2007, 12:18 PM
No. Right now its really damn crappy. Every aspect of it is far below the standards of the original Naruto. Honestly, I've completed very shitty series just cause I can't stop doing something once i've started it (including dbgt) and i've only ever stopped watching two series while midway (i'm about to drop kyou kara maou though). If i saw shippuden first, i'd definately drop it.

Too many times I've now thought I'm watching it just for the old times sake. Still, as it is now, for the old times sake is enough to keep me watching. For now.

Same thing for me. that and hoping that it will revert to its original glory.

KrayZ33
Tue, 09-25-2007, 07:40 PM
the first 30 episodes of the original series were simply the best....

zabuza = very cool and touching
sasuke vs ori. = cool animation.

now for the shippudden part (28 episodes so far)

puppet wars (100 vs 1000) = very cool

well i cant remember anything else....hmmm,the whole part with deidara (did i spell it right) is cool too i kinda like the way he talks and speaks "baang" "hm hm"

well but i for myself wouldnt have watched the original series after watching shippudden... we have to wait for like 4-5 weeks for something to happen...
i believe the original series had more action in it.

anime nomad
Wed, 09-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Is the point of this topic to bash shippuudden, or is the point to evaluate going backwards on a series after starting at the new plotline?

I think to more accurately answer DB_Hunter's question, I'd have to say that Shippuudden would be like DBZ as Naruto is to DB. That being said, I only really started with DBZ first...but that did get me interested in watching DB as well to catch the backstory (how oolong joined the group, goku and piccolo's rivalry, etc).

Although, that's not to imply that I ever actually FINISHED the DB series...

a bad example i think.
in the naruto case, Naruto > Shippuuden, in Dragon Balls case, DBZ > DB
i think the question is "if you start watching the shitty, but new series, would you go back and watch the Older but much better series?"
i think that in the completely hypothetical situation where i had never watched Naruto, and i just picked up shipuuden, then i think i might just continue to watch Shipuuden, mainly because the concept would appeal to me, however the quality of shipuuden would probably make me hesitant to spend my limited bandwidth to download the 200+ episodes of the original Naruto.

DB_Hunter
Thu, 09-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Just to clarify for all concerned, my question is would you continue to watch the current series if you had not seen the superior preceding series. However, anime_nomad throws up another interesting question of if you would actually watch the old series based on Shippudden.

Personally I think this would come down to your experience of other shows. But going on the current quality I'm not sure. I guess I would ask the opinion of others to see is Naruto was better than Shippudden and then decide.

Genma
Thu, 10-04-2007, 11:09 AM
No, no, and no. If I started watching Naruto and it was anywhere as near as bad as Shippuden is now, there's probably no way I'd continue watching the series.

I'd probably never even grab the manga, because I'd be so turned off by its shittyness.

illfated
Thu, 10-18-2007, 10:34 AM
A lot of the excitement comes from the fact that you're probably a fan of the old series. To be fair, the series has a new name, but it'd be the same as being introduced to a series in the middle of it. I agree that the pacing is slower than the original. I recently rewatched the original (stopping at the long block of filler) and the pacing is way better in the original.

narutoshippuden
Fri, 05-09-2008, 06:42 PM
yes i would.=).

capoi
Fri, 08-08-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm still watching shippuden because i still put some hope for this series but i admit i'm disappointed with this series so far.
Overall, it's so slow for me. They not create a suitable soundtrack like before especially during battle. There is no soundrack theme for each character. They use a same music for akatsuki and oro. With the series getting slow and the soundrack is not good enough, the series become so boring for me. I hope toshiro masuda will get his role in shippuden.
What the best so far is battle between sasori and chiyo (puppet battle). What we can expect from battle between deidara and gaara since both of these two use a long range jutsu.

NM
Fri, 08-15-2008, 09:57 AM
the first 30 episodes of the original series were simply the best....

Correction, the first 130 (or however many it was before it went to filler mode for an entire year) were the best. I didn't even start reading the manga until Naruto went to the craphole with the fillers because the series beginning was just that good. The chuunin exam is by far my favorite arc thus far.

I finally decided to give up on Shippuuden now too. These fillers the studio are making to give them more to work with on the anime suck. And not to mention that they even manage to screw up some of the actual content with long staring showdowns. Probably won't even archive Shippuuden like I'm doing with the original Naruto...I'll just watch and delete for now unless they manage to make Shippuuden as amazing as when Naruto first started. :(

EDIT: I don't know why most of you guys hate the soundtrack but I don't think its that bad. Of course, it pales in comparison to Toshiro Masuda's work from before but I think Shippuuden's music is one good trait about the series. Everything else...not so much.

ForteCross
Fri, 08-15-2008, 10:54 AM
well, you cant actually compare "need to be strong" (i think it was that the name of the song...) against the crappy star wars clone