PDA

View Full Version : GW Reading the Same Manga: New Edition

Munsu
Fri, 09-14-2007, 06:00 AM
I've been thinking of starting again this effort for a while now, but this time only choosing 1 manga, and with less frequency. I think the failure of the previous attempt was that we were choosing too many series and too frequently.

So anyways, the idea is for us to suggest a couple of series and then all of us vote on which one we want to read, and we make a commitment to read the series together with the hope of having a good discussion on the series.

It's best to find a series that has either many chapters out, or a series that is frequently being released. I think series that have been completely scanlated are also good. It would also be nice to suggest a series that is not being discussed at all on this forum, or a series that you think should be having more discussion than it currently has.

So you think it would be worth it to give this another try? If so let me know, so I can start taking suggestions and starting a poll. Also, if you have any ideas on how we can improve the selection, it would be good... maybe by accepting only suggestions of a specific genre or so.

So any comments or ideas at this moment would be appreciated, I already have a couple of series in mind, so lets see what you guys think. This only works if we make a commitment to read whatever series wins, so please lets try and make this work and improve the manga section.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 09-14-2007, 06:28 AM
I wasn't around much during the first edition of this thing (it was near my drafting date, so i gave it up, as much as I remember), but i think it's a good idea, and i'll even try to take part..

also, i think that if we're working on complete manga's there should be a *HUGE* link to the torrent, none of those "Check the new release bot at the groups Irc channel, at some far off server" or emule links crap. one manga - one torrent.

Munsu
Fri, 09-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Once the manga is chosen, I try to make it available in MangaTraders for downloading, or try to find some other source wether it be torrents or direct downloads.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 09-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Im definitely game. Though I would suggest to only do a manga that is completed, to make the discussion less speculation, and more appreciation.

animus
Fri, 09-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Sanctuary.

Munsu
Fri, 09-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Im definitely game. Though I would suggest to only do a manga that is completed, to make the discussion less speculation, and more appreciation.
Sounds good, we can use the "Completed Only" criteria for now, and later we can go by genre.

So alright, for now start suggesting some mangas that have been completly scanlated... Once plenty have been suggested, I will choose 5 at my own discretion and we'll vote on which one to read among those 5. To give you guys more active participation, I'll only suggest one:

Kiseijuu (Parasyte)

So far, I think this is the best way to find a series that has been completely scanlated:
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?filter=scanlated

mage
Fri, 09-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Why completed only? It'll be too hard to discuss chapter by chapter this way since we won't know how far people have read. A lot of the fun comes from the weekly discussion/speculation.

Munsu
Fri, 09-14-2007, 09:50 AM
We'll leave that for next time. This round will be completed only.

Foomanchew24
Fri, 09-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Midori no hibi? I know its complete and it was a nice anime, would be a fun read as well im sure.

Ryllharu
Fri, 09-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Peridot
Boobs, fighting, and humor mixed in. A little bit for all. Shorter too, totally only 50 chapters in 6 volumes.

I'd have suggested a shoujo title, since either people don't admit they read them or don't want to (same with me and most sports manga) but that can wait for later rounds. I'm definitely in support for random genres.

Munsu
Sat, 09-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Any more suggestions? If there aren't any more by tomorrow, I'll just provide one more myself. Seems like 5 or 6 people are willing to make this work. In this forum a 2 or 3 people discussion at least makes it worth it so as long as someone at the least gives it a shot, we can have a discussion because I'll surely be reading the series.

Foomanchew24
Sat, 09-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Blade of the Immortal always sounded interesting but not sure if its completely done by a group or available. Also I would really be interested in something with humor, but whatever works for me.

Munsu
Sat, 09-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Blade of Immortal is still ongoing.

Raven
Sat, 09-15-2007, 08:31 PM
I have heard of Peridot, it does sound interesting.

But basically at the end of the day I love reading manga so count me in no matter what happens.

Dark Dragon
Mon, 09-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I suggest Tokyo Crazy Paradise.

It's a shoujo/shonen manga and i think most people would can enjoy it since it kinda touch alot of subject.

Munsu
Mon, 09-17-2007, 03:01 PM
To make this a bit more fun, I'm going to let one of you guys setup the manga criteria for the next time we do this, which I assume will be a couple of weeks or maybe a month from now.

The first one to send me a pm with the answer to this question will be the person.

The question is:

What anime am I currently thinking of?
This anime I consider it to be one of my top 5 of all time, and it's close to being a favorite (it's not my favorite). It's not that well known, and it's underrated in my opinion. One hint, I've made a review for this series, so I recommend checking the "30 Second Anime Review" thread. There are many series in there that I claim that can be my favorite or the best that I've seen, so go read the reviews carefully and choose the one that best matches the vague description I gave.

I know it's very vague, but it should be fairly easy to find. One attempt per person. Go to it.

Munsu
Mon, 09-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Ryllharu was the first one to respond with the correct answer: Kurau Phantom Memory

So in a couple of weeks he'll be choosing the next criteria. Dark Dragon, I'll let you choose after Ryllharu as you were the first one to respond (but being wrong).

Foomanchew24
Sun, 09-30-2007, 05:08 PM
When are we deciding on a new manga to read?

Munsu
Sun, 09-30-2007, 08:33 PM
In one or two weeks I'd say. Ryllharu already gave me the criteria he wanted for the next round.

kAi
Tue, 10-02-2007, 03:10 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this would be a good idea.

We should read like 5 volumes a week or something, just so we can have some discussion and predictions, to make it more interesting.

Munsu
Tue, 10-02-2007, 03:14 AM
That's really only a problem with completed mangas. Once we start discussing ongoing series, then I don't think it's going to be an issue. But I'll keep it in mind if the winner is a completed series.

Also, I doubt anyone here has self control. Mangas are read fast, and you know once you start, you can't stop till you're done.

Ryllharu
Tue, 10-02-2007, 05:58 AM
At the same time, a lot of people refuse to read something that's not complete, because they feel they'll be unsatisfied. I definitely don't have that same problem, but I do see where others are coming from with it.

Kraco
Wed, 10-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Excellent points. If the 5 volumes per week suggestion succeeded, it would only be because the winner manga sucked so much nobody would have any problems stopping at any arbitrary point. Which would be kind of an unsatisfactory in the end.

kAi
Thu, 10-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah, but it would be better for discussion sake.

It may be a good idea to get a series that gets scanlated in the volumes then, it doesn't have to be this time, but we will have plenty of opportunities if we are able to get through them quickly.

Munsu
Mon, 10-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Alright, going to start collecting suggestions for the next series. Here's the criteria Ryllharu chose:

It took some serious thinking, but I'd definitely like to see the manga discussion on a broader subset of genres. This is what I came up with:

"A series that falls under 'romance.' Still a main part of the story, but moves towards being secondary. That means that it's not just some harem [or reverse harem] where the lead thinks only of getting a boyfriend/girlfriend.

Preferably completed series.

Some examples include: Skip Beat, Blood Alone, Mahoraba, 3x3 Eyes.

Inane comedy is considered something else (ref. Mahoraba). (None of the series I used as examples are completely scanlated, but it gives the general concept.)"

So basically we want a series with some sort of plot, and while moving towards resolving the plot there's a strong underlying romance theme that it may be just as important as the main plot, but simply it's not the only goal. Remember, no harem.

From all the suggestions I decide the final 5 that will be voted on via poll.

Dark Dragon
Tue, 10-09-2007, 03:02 AM
Since Ryllharu had skip beat listed, i strongly suggest Tokyo Crazy Paradise. It is by the same mangaka as skip beat and is completed (19 volumes)

Taken from Ann:
Life in the year 2020 in Tokyo is tough, as crime rates are high. To prevent their daughter from being exposed to these crimes, Tsukasa's parents raised her to be a male. Tsukasa aspires to be a policeman fighting against the mafia, just like her parents. However, her parents died in the line of work, leaving behind Tsukasa and her 3 brothers to fend for themselves. Tsukasa must thus work as a bodyguard for her classmate, Ryuji, who happens to be the leader of the most powerful mafia gang in Tokyo, to pay off the family's debts.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-09-2007, 04:06 AM
I would suggest Tokyo Crazy Paradise too, since Blood Alone has only 2 volumes out so far. <But those two volumes were really amazing>

Munsu
Tue, 10-09-2007, 05:21 AM
I got quite a few I could suggest, here's one:
Superior

Also, if any of you wants me to pm you everytime a new criteria is chosen and when a new poll has started send me a pm and I'll make sure to keep you updated.

Ryllharu
Tue, 10-09-2007, 06:54 AM
As a side note, if you really liked Blood Alone, you can get the volumes faster from Infinity Studios, the official translator/publisher for the US (volume 4 should be released in the next few weeks).

I'll suggest Mahoraba after all. It's a light, inane comedy series, and it's only missing a few chapters from being completed.

Shiratori Ryuji wants to become a picture book writer, and he moves to an apartment, Narutaki-So, an old Japanese style one-story house which doesn’t fit in urban scenery. The manager of the apartment is Aoba Kozue. There are 5 others also living in the apartment.
They are all characteristic and eccentric persons. However, in fact, the most eccentric person is Kozue. She has a secret...

I'd also like to suggest an Adachi series, but since I never got into them on my own, I can't say which ones best fit the criteria. I'm not usually a fan of sports manga, and the goal of this thread not only to discuss what they've read, but also to expand the genres they read.

Kraco
Tue, 10-09-2007, 07:14 AM
I think I'll download Tokyo Crazy Paradise in any case. It sounds interesting. Mahoraba I wouldn't read because I've watched the anime. However, at least in the anime form it was quite good, and thus a worthy suggestion here and should be a good read for those who aren't already familiar with it.

Munsu
Tue, 10-09-2007, 07:21 AM
I'd also like to suggest an Adachi series, but since I never got into them on my own, I can't say which ones best fit the criteria. I'm not usually a fan of sports manga, and the goal of this thread not only to discuss what they've read, but also to expand the genres they read.

Most Adachi series have the same elements. But if I had to choose, I'd say that Katsu and Rough would be good for Romance/Sports. There's also a samurai one called Niji Iro Togarashi.

Ryllharu
Tue, 10-09-2007, 07:26 AM
I'll take your advice and nominate Rough. I've looked at the description for that one before.

Rough is a romance/sports story by the great Adachi, and this time he seems to have been inpired by Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet: Yamato Keisuke, a promising freestyle swimmer, and Ninomiya Ami, a talented diver, are the offsprings of two rival families owners of confectionery shops. Two generations ago, Grandfather Ninomiya came up with an idea for an owl-shaped cake, but Grandfather Yamato quickly raised to the challenge and thought of a similar cake--but in Yamato's the owl had ears. Because they're priced the same, Yamato's extra ears were crucial, and that made the business of the Ninomiya confectionery suffered. Grandfather Ninomiya then fell ill worrying about his shop. Before his death, his last words were "I was killed by the Yamatos", and since that moment the two families have been sworn rivals.

Not that I think anyone was wondering, but I did suggest Skip Beat knowing that someone would eventually suggest Tokyo Crazy Paradise.

animus
Tue, 10-09-2007, 09:26 AM
I kiinda liked Superior, though it feels a lot like a Shoujo manga in disguise. And I don't like the job the scanlators, JanimeS do. The raws aren't cleaned, their font is awful and small, not QC'd either.

Foomanchew24
Wed, 10-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Im not much for romance but this manga sounded interesting and its is almost complete just a few more chapters and its done, 5 volumes. Here is a review a reader gave it as I have not read it myself/ D-ASH

Story/Plot:-
This is a brilliant "coming of age" manga about the lives of 4 elementary school kids and how they changed and developed as they grew up.

Artwork:-
The artwork is really inconsistent, where at times it can look superb with detailed character designs and then there are other times when it looks plain sloppy

Final Thoughts:-
D-ASH is a very fast paced manga with so many time-skips in the first 2 Volumes that you'll have to constantly assess the changes in the characters lives and personalities. However this is a good thing about the manga with another being that there aren't any noticeable cliches making this feel somewhat refreshing, for a sports romance.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 10-11-2007, 03:14 AM
we can try fuushigi yuugi, a bit old, but very romance driven.

but rough is defintally better.

Munsu
Sun, 10-14-2007, 12:27 PM
The 5 mangas have been chosen for the second round, I'll start the poll shortly.

Munsu
Thu, 12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Well it's been a while, and the person who picked the next criteria is Dark Dragon. Here's our pm conversation so that you can get an idea on what the criteria is:

I have a general idea of what i want for the criteria, but i was wondering if you can offer some opinion because i really want a good discussion from it.

There is one constant irritation that I've had to deal with whenever i watch an anime.The fact of the mater is that many anime is forced to end the series early with a completely different ending from the manga due to budget/time restraint. For the manga criteria i would like for peoples to suggest a manga that continue the story of an anime they liked but is forced to end differently from the manga. Then i would like for us to compare the ending for the anime and the manga.

Here are some examples: GTO, Ichigo 100%, Love Hina, Aishiteruze Baby... etc etc because the list go on and on. Keep in mind that the anime/manga doesn't have to be popular as long as the ending for the 2 is different.

I like the idea; pretty much most animes end prematurely, so there will be a ton of mangas we can use. I would suggest that we also include as a criteria that the anime should be loyal to the manga, and then we can focus the discussion on the difference in the ending and on the story that continues instead of focusing the discussion on how "the anime sucks because it totally disregarded the manga story". In essense, it would eliminate mangas like Black Cat, where the anime is completely different from the manga.

So basically, the anime should've been loyal to the manga or fairly loyal until the end, even if the ending is anime original or simply the ending was rushed.

What do you think?

Oh, i never intended to have anime that disregard the manga story to be included (stuff like FMA and black cats). yeah so the general idea is to have a manga and anime that follow the same storyline but the anime forced to end early. We can then discuss the two endings and compare them.

So basically, find a series that was animated and followed the manga, but ended prematurely and the manga continued the story. Hopefully you guys haven't given up on this idea, I know it's been a while since the last round. So, start the suggestions.

Ryllharu
Thu, 12-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Aishiteruze Baby is suggested in that conversation, and I honestly could not think of a better choice. The anime follows the manga perfectly, but cuts short on the final volume when it reached 24 episodes.

Air Gear - I know where the anime ended, but I didn't actually watch it, so I can't say how true it was the rest of the time.

Gantz - By far my favorite arc in the manga (won't spoil) was only an arc or two from where the anime forced and bastardized the ending.

Claymore - Obvious, but I think most of us in the manga section are reading it.

I'll also second GTO. Budgets and time constraints merged a few characters, and cut out or shortened some amazing arcs.

Mahoraba - If someone ever finishes scanlating it. The anime was very loyal to the manga, outside of the alcohol consumption and behavior of a certain character. All the concluding stories weren't covered in the anime due to time.

Nana - The anime was 47 episodes long, and somehow didn't even make it to half of the current ongoing storyline.

Suzuka - Only got through about half the story. Manga is complete by the way.

That's enough from me.

Munsu
Thu, 12-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Well I'll throw in a couple... though I'm not sure if all of them were loyal to the manga, so correct me if I'm wrong:

3x3 Eyes
Guyver
Trigun
RAVE

Dark Dragon
Fri, 12-07-2007, 10:43 AM
3x3 eyes is a great manga that everyone should read but it doesn't fit this time because the anime is more or less a 2 episode OVA.

Trigun anime and manga was pretty much the same from what i can remember.

Munsu
Fri, 12-07-2007, 02:56 PM
More like 2 OVAs, 7 episodes... about 5 volumes worth of story, but yeah I wouldn't use it just because the manga is so long.