PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Dragonball

Pages : 1 2 [3]

poopdeville
Fri, 03-13-2009, 10:15 PM
How do you show super fast speed with live action?

By doing it in slow motion.

Sidnne
Thu, 03-26-2009, 06:23 PM
The movie was absolutely horrible. Even if you know nothing about Dragonball and are just watching it as an action flick, it is awful.

Animeniax
Fri, 03-27-2009, 03:55 AM
Is it not even worth seeing for Emmy Rossum (Bulma) in leather pants?

Psyke
Fri, 03-27-2009, 07:24 AM
She isn't even that hot to me. :(

Sidnne
Fri, 03-27-2009, 03:39 PM
She isn't even that hot to me. :(

I agree. I didn't think she was hot. And the voice she used annoyed the hell out of me.

Archangel
Sat, 03-28-2009, 10:32 AM
I love how the only thing that managed to kill this thread was the actual movie

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Mon, 03-30-2009, 03:44 PM
I wanted to see the movie in the theatres, but it isnt there anymore...

That was fast!

Psyke
Wed, 04-01-2009, 07:52 AM
From Variety:

“20th Century Fox is fast tracking the sequel to it’s as yet seen hit “Dragonball Evolution”. The film, which has earned a collective $21M in 8 Asian markets over the last three weeks; reportedly half its initial budget, opens worldwide on April 10th.

Reborn, the illusive subtitle to the sequel, is based on the popular manga turned animated series created by Akira Toriyama. James Wong is set to direct from a script he penned. Stephen Chow is once again set to produce and the entire cast, including Justin Chatwin as the films iconic hero, and Chow Yun-Fat as his mentor, are set to return.

The studio is also looking to expand that roster and are currently courting Twilight star Robert Pattinson to play the films villain. The film is expected to begin principle photography in Montreal this July, with a tentitive release date of Spring 2010.“

Source: Variety

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-01-2009, 08:46 AM
lol. Can't they figure out the difference between "demand" and "went to see how much live adaptation sucks"? I wouldn't expect those numbers for the sequel, that's for sure.

Sapphire
Wed, 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM
OH GOD, same directors, same actors, same everything? And they're bragging about having actors from that God-forsaken raping of a previously good book Twilight? Have they not seen the sparkling reviews?

Lord help us all.

XanBcoo
Wed, 04-01-2009, 10:13 AM
I wanted to see the movie in the theatres, but it isnt there anymore...

That was fast!
Unless you live in Asia, you probably can't see it in theaters because it hasn't been released anywhere else yet.

If you do live in Asia, that was indeed fast.

Animeniax
Wed, 04-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Wow, $21M in 3 weeks and they call it a success?

Junior
Wed, 04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
lol. Can't they figure out the difference between "demand" and "went to see how much live adaptation sucks"? I wouldn't expect those numbers for the sequel, that's for sure.

I was just thinking that.

If sparkly vampire boy is in the sequel, then lol. LOL.

Seriously, the moment they made Goku an American white boy, DB fans around the world shunned the very thought of this movie.

UChessmaster
Wed, 04-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Seriously, the moment they made Goku an American white boy, DB fans around the world shunned the very thought of this movie.

Wich is dumb because it`s been stated (although only a gazillion times already, i guess fanboys need a reminder or two more) that goku is an alien, not asian.

Animeniax
Wed, 04-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Wich is dumb because it`s been stated (although only a gazillion times already, i guess fanboys need a reminder or two more) that goku is an alien, not asian.
Who stated that, the Hollywood producers? It's common knowledge that he is an Asian-Alien.

6Zabuza9
Thu, 04-02-2009, 04:03 AM
21 mil in asia is a success because most other movies dont make that much due to the most ppl there would probably pirate the movie anyways lol

Shadow Skill
Thu, 04-02-2009, 04:41 AM
April Fools?

Psyke
Thu, 04-02-2009, 08:42 AM

So.......

Would an Asian Superman work? He's an alien too. :confused:

Abdula
Thu, 04-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Asian superman (http://www.fugly.com/videos/5275/asian_superman.html):cool:

Junior
Thu, 04-02-2009, 10:19 AM

I thought he was apparently Chinese-like?(appearance)

DAMNIT I COMPLETELY FORGOT HE WAS AN ALIEN. GOSH WORST DB FAN EVER

I wish he at least looked like Goku...and had Goku's lovely, happy-go-lucky attitude.

Who stated that, the Hollywood producers? It's common knowledge that he is an Asian-Alien.

He's an alien...that looks Asian! Yeah, I like that.

Pandadice
Thu, 04-02-2009, 01:03 PM
I thought he was apparently Chinese-like?(appearance)

DAMNIT I COMPLETELY FORGOT HE WAS AN ALIEN. GOSH WORST DB FAN EVER

well, you know. the lack of tail in the movie doesn't exactly help.

Junior
Thu, 04-02-2009, 01:57 PM
well, you know. the lack of tail in the movie doesn't exactly help.

Wait. What.

He has no tail in the movie? Is this even Dragonball then?

Sapphire
Thu, 04-02-2009, 03:53 PM
WTF? This movie is set in a high school and is pretty much a bastardized version of The Karate Kid and you guys are nitpicking about a tail?

BTW: It just occured to me that you guys haven't seen the movie yet. Download a cam. It sadly makes no difference in quality. :(

Pandadice
Fri, 04-03-2009, 12:42 AM
i am determined to have my first viewing of this in theaters when it comes to a theater near me. yeah, i'll be wasting like $8 out of my pocket, but it'll be worth it. almost everyone i know irl who's interested already got a download and tried watching it. however, i refuse to do that yet...

Raven
Tue, 04-07-2009, 03:48 PM
This movie was such utter dogshit that I refuse to believe it was made any way other than with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Some things are just not meant to be made into live-action movies.

Pandadice
Tue, 04-07-2009, 11:45 PM
dude, i was so hyped about seeing this in theaters, but it's supposed to open today and none of the theaters anywhere close to me are getting it. what?! this stinks..

Animeniax
Wed, 04-08-2009, 06:44 AM
dude, i was so hyped about seeing this in theaters, but it's supposed to open today and none of the theaters anywhere close to me are getting it. what?! this stinks..
If they did pick it up it would last 1 week and then go straight to the dollar cinema. You should check those in a couple days and you can at least see it on a sort-of-big screen.

UChessmaster
Wed, 04-08-2009, 11:44 PM

It`s a common knowledge he is Asian-Alien? Are you serious?

*sigh*

A) You can`t be an Asian-Alien, an alien is something from OUTTER space, as in not from earth. Asia is a continent ON earth, as in from earth. So no, he can`t be an Asian-Alien

B) There is not Asia on Dragonball`s word, thus, he can`t be asian...

C) What are the common Asian traits he has? black hair? (wich is common in a lot of places besides asia... he may as well be Latin) and... what else? you`ll have to excuse me if i`m wrong, but i dont remember asians being completely white, tall or having a tail for that matter.

Animeniax
Thu, 04-09-2009, 01:27 AM
It`s a common knowledge he is Asian-Alien? Are you serious?

*sigh*

A) You can`t be an Asian-Alien, an alien is something from OUTTER space, as in not from earth. Asia is a continent ON earth, as in from earth. So no, he can`t be an Asian-Alien

B) There is not Asia on Dragonball`s word, thus, he can`t be asian...

C) What are the common Asian traits he has? black hair? (wich is common in a lot of places besides asia... he may as well be Latin) and... what else? you`ll have to excuse me if i`m wrong, but i dont remember asians being completely white, tall or having a tail for that matter.
Look, we've been through this already. Get away kitty.

A) It's arguable that life on any planet in the universe will progress/evolve the same as it did on Earth, meaning Mongoloid peoples (one of the 3 primary races of humanity, versus Negroid and Caucasoid) would more than likely exist on these other planets, including on planet Vegeta. So while it is possible to argue Nappa is Caucasian, Goku and Vegeta are clearly Asian.

B) Clearly there is an Asia in the DBZ world, as our heroes land on Earth, and there is an Asian continent on Earth.

C) Common traits are black hair, black eyes, Asian-style haircuts, yellowish-white skin (versus brownish-white skin among Latinos), the numerous kanji characters used, clothing worn by Asian cultures, martial arts practiced in Asia, concepts/practices/beliefs popularized in Asian cultures, and the names of the characters.

XanBcoo
Thu, 04-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Mongoloid peoples (one of the 3 primary races of humanity, versus Negroid and Caucasoid) would more than likely exist on these other planets
That's a ridiculous leap in logic and you know it.

DBZ takes place in its own universe. There is no Asia, there is no U.S.A. It's a different literary universe, No, you don't have proof to refute this. Yes, there is mountains of proof to confirm it. Japanese characters like Kanji are used because it was written for a Japanese audience.

Please drop the issue, guys. It's never been explicitly stated nor refuted that Goku is Asian. It's silly arguing about it. In any case, Goku being white in this movie doesn't make it any better or worse than it already is. Even if an Asian guy had been cast as Goku, it still would have been a horrible movie.

Paulyboy
Thu, 04-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Anyways... im seeing it tomorrow because my friend got those free Danny Yogurt movie tickets and plus I just wanna see it with my own EYES.

UChessmaster
Thu, 04-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Look, we've been through this already. Get away kitty.

A) It's arguable that life on any planet in the universe will progress/evolve the same as it did on Earth, meaning Mongoloid peoples (one of the 3 primary races of humanity, versus Negroid and Caucasoid) would more than likely exist on these other planets, including on planet Vegeta. So while it is possible to argue Nappa is Caucasian, Goku and Vegeta are clearly Asian.

B) Clearly there is an Asia in the DBZ world, as our heroes land on Earth, and there is an Asian continent on Earth.

C) Common traits are black hair, black eyes, Asian-style haircuts, yellowish-white skin (versus brownish-white skin among Latinos), the numerous kanji characters used, clothing worn by Asian cultures, martial arts practiced in Asia, concepts/practices/beliefs popularized in Asian cultures, and the names of the characters.

A) Then he is Mongoloid, not asian. There is no Asia on planet vegeta.

B) There is no Asia in DBZ, play any DBZ game with a world map, there is ONE continent. Absolutely no human place is mentioned in the whole series, only ficticional places such as west city. Dinasour, flying cars, pterodactil humanoids and guys with 3 eyes is not common on planet earth nowdays either. If you think DBZ`s "Earth" is the same as ours allow me to lol. But i`ll play your game, here`s a map to Dragon Ball`s "Earth". Mind pointing me where Asia is?

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5955/dw4worldmap.th.jpg (http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dw4worldmap.jpg)

C) Asian style haircuts? lmao, no asian has goku`s hair, goku is not yelow-ish white, he is white period. There is no one whiter than goku in the whole series. Goku is still quite tall wich is certainly not a common trait among asians. Cloth, culture etc, is a non surprising coincidence, the author being asian is normal he bases his story with asian writing etc. I`m not buying the kanji part either, krilin has his romanized name in a cap, is he american?. Goku`s real name is Kakarotu (sp?) wich guess what? is an american word (Carrot). At this point you`re trying to force Goku to be asian, as if being any other "race" will make him a worst character.

I can`t beleive i have to do this but...

A⋅sian Show Spelled Pronunciation [ey-zhuhn, ey-shuhn]

–noun 2. a native of Asia.

Source: www.dictionary.com

Is he an Asian native? no? he`s not Asian.

EDIT:
Please drop the issue, guys. It's never been explicitly stated nor refuted that Goku is Asian.

Sorry, i didn`t saw your post by the time i made mine, you`re right, is completely pointless talking about this. But... well... talking about the movie is not very inspiring at this point.

darkshadow
Fri, 04-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I think I'm alone in saying this but I liked the movie somewhat, although I agree with Psyke's review I also disagree with it.
As just a movie I think it was fine, but as a DB adaptation I dunno what to think of it, mainly because aside from the parts that were really bad, like Oozaru, there were parts that I enjoyed.
I also think Chatwin did a great job portraying the goku character, in the context of his new surroundings ( school and such).

And yeah I mean c'mon Asian goku? Why aren't you then complaining about the lack of talking animals and dinosaurs.... please.

Sapphire
Fri, 04-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Here's a great review (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/dragonball-evolution) of the movie that Yuki showed me. I enjoyed reading the review more than watching the movie!

Shadow Skill
Fri, 04-10-2009, 11:16 AM
If we go with the story of the Monkey king, which it's based on, then yes, Goku is Chinese/asian. :D

That and his Kamehameha is named after a Hawaiian King. Roshi lives on an Island.Hawaii is an Island.

If we go with Hollywood, then Goku is not Goku but some weird US version of Dragon Ball. Case closed. Now stop arguing.

Most I've talked to who seen it (Which is like 3) say it's worse than the first Street Fighter movie. :/ I'll take their word on it.

Psyke
Fri, 04-10-2009, 11:50 AM
The alien asian argument is pretty silly to me. Goku wasn't planned to be an alien till DBZ. And anyway, even after he was revealed to be a Saiyan, he is still an asian looking alien.

Any the kamehameha isn't named after anyone. It's just a coincidence. Kame in Japanese means Turtle.

Paper
Fri, 04-10-2009, 12:43 PM
The alien asian argument is pretty silly to me. Goku wasn't planned to be an alien till DBZ. And anyway, even after he was revealed to be a Saiyan, he is still an asian looking alien.

Any the kamehameha isn't named after anyone. It's just a coincidence. Kame in Japanese means Turtle.

When goku is in SS mode his hair is blonde and his eyes are green so how is that consider asian looking?

I also have to impliment that Goku is atleast 6'3 and have spikey wild hair and thiere are several different race in DBZ universe so why saiyan's only get categorize as asian descent? hence the fact that its a japanese animaition :D

Psyke
Fri, 04-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Goku only became an alien in DBZ. Back in the origin of the series, the manga was supposed to be based on The Monkey God or the Journey of The West series. But I don't really want to start a "What race/ethnic group is the Monkey God" issue. :(

UChessmaster
Fri, 04-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Goku only became an alien in DBZ. Back in the origin of the series, the manga was supposed to be based on The Monkey God or the Journey of The West series. But I don't really want to start a "What race/ethnic group is the Monkey God" issue. :(

The original intent of the creator is completely 100% irrelevant.

As just a movie I think it was fine, but as a DB adaptation I dunno what to think of it, mainly because aside from the parts that were really bad, like Oozaru, there were parts that I enjoyed.

Oozaru is in the movie!?

Psyke
Fri, 04-10-2009, 11:07 PM

Fully agreed. My single point is that Goku looks asian.

Animeniax
Sat, 04-11-2009, 03:19 AM
I completely disagree and find it disrespectful and shameful to dismiss the creator's vision of his characters. The movie suffered because of this lack of respect for the creator's vision.

This is almost as funny as Sheva on RE5 being considered black. She either uses a lot of hair relaxer or has the least afro-centric hair I've ever seen on a black woman.

So is Superman caucasian or not? He was born on another planet.

Dark Dragon
Sat, 04-11-2009, 04:38 AM
There is no Asia in DBZ, play any DBZ game with a world map, there is ONE continent.

I had no problen with this statement, and then i went and saw the movie.

The movie being complete garbage aside, my problem with it wasn't because Goku was white.

What annoy me most was the fact that almost the entire cast for the movie consist of Asian actors, and it was pretty freaking obvious that the producers behind the movie was trying to make the "Asian" origin of the show to be the selling point of the movie. With the exception of Goku and Piccolo (who is a freaking green alien anyways) The only non-Asian actors are either minor or dead.

It's the same BS "Lets make the main character white so all of the Asian obsessed white boys will have something they can relate to" that Hollywood pulled with Forbidden Kingdom

David75
Sat, 04-11-2009, 05:28 AM
So as everyone feared, that movie isn't even worth the electricity needed to download it...

Animeniax
Sat, 04-11-2009, 06:35 AM
I had no problen with this statement, and then i went and saw the movie.

The movie being complete garbage aside, my problem with it wasn't because Goku was white.

What annoy me most was the fact that almost the entire cast for the movie consist of Asian actors, and it was pretty freaking obvious that the producers behind the movie was trying to make the "Asian" origin of the show to be the selling point of the movie. With the exception of Goku and Piccolo (who is a freaking green alien anyways) The only non-Asian actors are either minor or dead.

It's the same BS "Lets make the main character white so all of the Asian obsessed white boys will have something they can relate to" that Hollywood pulled with Forbidden KingdomThe producer and director are Asian aren't they? And two of the major characters are white, one is green, and the minor characters are Asian.

It's a martial arts/wire-fu movie, of course they are going to play up the Asian angle.

And isn't "white boys" a racial slur?

Dark Dragon
Sat, 04-11-2009, 07:45 AM
The producer and director are Asian aren't they? And two of the major characters are white, one is green, and the minor characters are Asian.

It's a martial arts/wire-fu movie, of course they are going to play up the Asian angle.

And isn't "white boys" a racial slur?

I'm not sure, is it?

Is it really necessary for me to be completely politically correct in order to not be a racist in a thread about Dragonball?

I am well aware of the fact that both the director and producer were Asian and i apologize for not clarifying in my original post.

I suppose it was natural for them to play the asian angle especially for this movie, but i still thinks that the main reason they cast Justin Chatwin as Goku was to appeal to the masses. At least, it's the only reason that i've manage to come up with, so maybe you can give me some insights on as to why they have made such a decision if you don't think so.

Junior
Sat, 04-11-2009, 08:13 AM
(on a side note...wasn't Goku's real name Kakkarot? I know it wasn't Carrot.)

I suppose it was natural for them to play the asian angle especially for this movie, but i still thinks that the main reason they cast Justin Chatwin as Goku was to appeal to the masses.

You're probably right on this. =/ (reminds me of Chun Li. I'm guessing they cast Kristin because she's popular due to Smallville)

It might be one of those LET'S CAST A GOODLOOKING GUY SO WE WIN things. Where they think fangirls/boys will come for the eye candy,

darkshadow
Sat, 04-11-2009, 11:23 AM
.......Chun-li is half chinese..........Kreuk is half chinese.....jeez get the fuck over it.

Psyke
Sat, 04-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Chun Li is half chinese?

animus
Sat, 04-11-2009, 12:52 PM
.......Chun-li is half chinese..........Kreuk is half chinese.....jeez get the fuck over it.

First time I've heard that.

UChessmaster
Sat, 04-11-2009, 01:12 PM
I completely disagree and find it disrespectful and shameful to dismiss the creator's vision of his characters. The movie suffered because of this lack of respect for the creator's vision.

This is almost as funny as Sheva on RE5 being considered black. She either uses a lot of hair relaxer or has the least afro-centric hair I've ever seen on a black woman.

So is Superman caucasian or not? He was born on another planet.

There is a diference betwen his original idea and the ending product of the SERIES, you`re relating two completely diferent thing. As for superman, he is kryptonian, but by your logic, he is clearly an american.

(on a side note...wasn't Goku's real name Kakkarot? I know it wasn't Carrot.)

Kakarotto (カカロット ,Kakarotto?, addressed as Kakarot in the English anime and spelled Kakarrot in the English manga)

It`s the romanization of the word "Carrot", it`s how japanese say it, same goes for Vegeta by the way.

darkshadow
Sat, 04-11-2009, 01:17 PM
They didn't randomly come up with giving chun-li a caucasian mother in the movie. That was revealed years ago, during the development of Capcom Fighting All-Stars. But I guess it didn't stick around cause that game got canceled.

Oh and ani, saying its funny to consider Sheva a black person just because of her hair is even more racist then all the racist shit Capcom was accused of.

Animeniax
Sat, 04-11-2009, 01:29 PM
As for superman, he is kryptonian, but by your logic, he is clearly an american.No, I never assigned a country or nationality to Goku, just a race. By your reasoning, Superman is not caucasian, when he is clearly a white man.

Kakarotto (カカロット ,Kakarotto?, addressed as Kakarot in the English anime and spelled Kakarrot in the English manga)

It`s the romanization of the word "Carrot", it`s how japanese say it, same goes for Vegeta by the way.I think you're wrong here too. I'm fairly certain the Japanese have their own word for carrot, and didn't need to adopt the word from another language.

Oh and ani, saying its funny to consider Sheva a black person just because of her hair is even more racist then all the racist shit Capcom was accused of. Yes, but in neither case was racism implied or intended. It's all cultural differentiation, and no more discriminatory than saying the sky is blue or that clouds are white. I'd like to meet the black woman with hair that sways in the breeze like Sheva's.

Junior
Sat, 04-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Note: Chun Li Is definitely FULL Chinese. Just LOOK at her.

Ani, you should know if he's right or wrong about Carrot. I mean, you know tons regarding Japan. =/ And somehow, I doubt it's really carrot but whatever.

animus
Sat, 04-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Carrot is ninjin in Japanese, I'm pretty sure. Thus making romaji for Carrot to Kakarotto would probably be wrong. Regardless, I'm sure they're not dumb enough to add an extra syllable to the pronunciation.

UChessmaster
Sat, 04-11-2009, 04:16 PM
No, I never assigned a country or nationality to Goku, just a race. By your reasoning, Superman is not caucasian, when he is clearly a white man.

"Asian" is not a race. For the record, we`re all the same race, humans. I honestly don`t know what you mean by Asian anymore. There is no Asia in the Dragon ball world and he`s missing charactheristics that will make him Asian (Height, skin color, sorry, goku is 100% white, not yellow-white, ALL he has is the hair color and eyes, wich ironically change to gold/green when he transforms)

I think you're wrong here too. I'm fairly certain the Japanese have their own word for carrot, and didn't need to adopt the word from another language.

I completely messed up this one, what i meant to say is that his name is how japanese pronounce/type the word Carrot. Essentially his name IS carrot. Same thing applies to Vegeta sort of, his name coming from the word "Vegetable"

animus
Sat, 04-11-2009, 04:38 PM
"Asian" is not a race. For the record, we`re all the same race, humans. I honestly don`t know what you mean by Asian anymore. There is no Asia in the Dragon ball world and he`s missing charactheristics that will make him Asian (Height, skin color, sorry, goku is 100% white, not yellow-white, ALL he has is the hair color and eyes, wich ironically change to gold/green when he transforms)

Humans are a species (Homo sapien). And no we are not all the same race.

Your stereotyping to indicate that he's white is ridiculously bad.

I completely messed up this one, what i meant to say is that his name is how japanese pronounce/type the word Carrot. Essentially his name IS carrot. Same thing applies to Vegeta sort of, his name coming from the word "Vegetable"

I could see the point I guess with Piccolo after Pickle (he is green and shit), Gohan (which means rice in Japanese), seems to follow the trend that a lot of the names are related to food.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I could see the point I guess with Piccolo after Pickle (he is green and shit), Gohan (which means rice in Japanese), seems to follow the trend that a lot of the names are related to food.

Wait...you're telling me that it wasn't wrong to think of "drinking tea" when I heard Yamcha?

animus
Sat, 04-11-2009, 06:29 PM
I totally forgot about that, since it's in Chinese and Yamcha's a pretty lame character, haha.

UChessmaster
Sat, 04-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Humans are a species (Homo sapien). And no we are not all the same race.

Your stereotyping to indicate that he's white is ridiculously bad.

I`m not stereo... what? so when in the movie ppl say THE human race they`re stereotyping?

You can use the word race to talk about a species.

animus
Sat, 04-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I`m not stereo... what? so when in the movie ppl say THE human race they`re stereotyping?

It's obviously way over your head. You say because asians are short and yellow, Goku HAS to be white since you know every asian is short and apparently has yellow-white skin (wtf is yellow white?).

You can use the word race to talk about a species.

No, you can't. You might think so since a common phrase in which people use is Human Race, which is false. Besides, if it wasn't clearly obvious that the script in the movie is a steaming pile of dog shit, I don't know what is.

UChessmaster
Sat, 04-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Then please enlight me, how do you know if a person is asian-ish by looking at him? without counting common asian characteristics "OH he has ONE thing asian ppl have, clearly an asian!"

For the record, i didn`t started the whole yello-ish white thing.

But i know for a fact MOST asians have small height, have you heard? it`s called genetics.

I`ll repeat, the ONLY thing that points at asian-ish looks is his hair and eye color, not enough to call him asian. But hey! me saying goku`s not asian because he doesn`t has asian characteristics is stereotyping now.

animus
Sat, 04-11-2009, 09:13 PM
I didn't say he was asian, all I said was saying he was white just because he wasn't short and because of his skin color was ridiculous.

And yes, that's what stereotyping means, btw.

UChessmaster
Sat, 04-11-2009, 09:23 PM
I didn't say he was asian, all I said was saying he was white just because he wasn't short and because of his skin color was ridiculous.

And yes, that's what stereotyping means, btw.

Saying he`s asian because his hair is black is just as ridiculous don`t you agree? Actually saying he`s asian even thoguh he`s an ALIEN sounds elitist to me, wich is why im answering to whoever claims him to be an asian.

If i stereotyped and anyone felt offended i apoogize, that was certainly not plan.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Race can be used to describe both species/subspecies as well as humans of different origins, ie ethnic race.

As for the current argument, take a picture of Goku in non SS form and ask people who know anything about him what nationality he is. See how many name an Asian country. I think that pretty much sets it straight.

If the majority say he's Asian (which I would expect), then for whatever reason, he obviously looks Asian.

UChessmaster
Sat, 04-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Race can be used to describe both species/subspecies as well as humans of different origins, ie ethnic race.

As for the current argument, take a picture of Goku in non SS form and ask people who know anything about him what nationality he is. See how many name an Asian country. I think that pretty much sets it straight.

If the majority say he's Asian (which I would expect), then for whatever reason, he obviously looks Asian.

A thousand years ago the majority of people agreed earth wasn`t round, how does that goes?

I don`t know... i just don`t see whats so asian about him.

Animeniax
Sat, 04-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Wow didn't XanBcoo ask us to drop this a couple pages back?

It is interesting though, and I do enjoy discussing it.

Goku is tall for an Asian, but beyond that stereotype there are taller Asians out there (Yao Ming, the entire Chinese Olympic basketball team). Otherwise he has the characteristic hair, eye color, and even skin color of an Asian. If you look at many Japanese, they have very pale white skin. In many Asian countries, light to white skin is favored. Pretty much all the characters have white skin, but that's just a result of the animation.

To be clear, when I say Asian, I mean that he descends from the mongoloid subspecies of the human species. As stated earlier, there are 3 subspecies, mongoloid, negroid, and caucasoid. Between the 3, it is clear that Goku and kin are mongoloid, or more commonly, Asian. Not that they come from Asia, but on a census form they would mark "Asian or pacific islander" as their race.

UChessmaster
Sat, 04-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Wow didn't XanBcoo ask us to drop this a couple pages back?

It is interesting though, and I do enjoy discussing it.

Goku is tall for an Asian, but beyond that stereotype there are taller Asians out there (Yao Ming, the entire Chinese Olympic basketball team). Otherwise he has the characteristic hair, eye color, and even skin color of an Asian. If you look at many Japanese, they have very pale white skin. In many Asian countries, light to white skin is favored. Pretty much all the characters have white skin, but that's just a result of the animation.

To be clear, when I say Asian, I mean that he descends from the mongoloid subspecies of the human species. As stated earlier, there are 3 subspecies, mongoloid, negroid, and caucasoid. Between the 3, it is clear that Goku and kin are mongoloid, or more commonly, Asian. Not that they come from Asia, but on a census form they would mark "Asian or pacific islander" as their race.

I enjoy it too, this argument is far better that the movie imo, as for your argument... i can live with that.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-11-2009, 11:18 PM
A thousand years ago the majority of people agreed earth wasn`t round, how does that goes?

A thousand years ago the majority of people agreed earth wasn`t round. It means (from our perspective), it looks flat. That hasn't changed. We now know that Earth is a round planet that looks flat to our eyes.

Until Goku reached young adulthood, the majority of his friends agreed he was human. It means he looks human. Most would agree, an Asian human. We now know Goku as an alien who looks like an Asian male.

XanBcoo
Sun, 04-12-2009, 01:20 AM
A Piccolo is a musical instrument, like a flute. King Piccolo's henchmen were Tambourine and Piano.

Krillin is "chestnut", Oolong is Oolong tea, Emperor Pilaf is named after Rice Pilaf, Radditz (raditsu) is Radish, and Nappa means "Cabbage". There's probably a few more I'm forgetting. But yeah, most of the names in Dragonball are puns, and most are themed. Bulma's entire family is named after underwear, for example, The Ginyu Force are dairy products, and all Saiyans are named after Vegetables.

Saying "white boys" is not racist. Saying that black people have curly hair is no more racist than saying black people have black skin.

Also Goku's skin color isn't really a discernible characteristic. He's as pale as any non-Asian-looking character. But if you want to consider him Asian, go ahead. There's no reason not to.

Lucifus
Sun, 04-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Goku doesn't look asian....the vast majority of anime characters can't pull off asian.

And this movie was garbage. It actually put me into a state of depression and killed my day. Jesus, I want someone to assassinate Chatwin.

Psyke
Sun, 04-12-2009, 01:59 AM
I thought it was pretty well known that most Dragonball names are puns of some sorts. Oolong, Yamcha and Puar are all related to Dim sum and tea, Satan's daughter is Videl (Devil), etc.

XanBcoo
Sun, 04-12-2009, 02:30 AM
I thought it was pretty well known that most Dragonball names are puns of some sorts. Oolong, Yamcha and Puar are all related to Dim sum and tea, Satan's daughter is Videl (Devil), etc.
Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to get off track. I just wanted to clarify that Piccolo's original posse was music-themed and I got carried away naming puns.

My favorite ones were Gohan's classmates in high school, only because it hit me years later. Sharpner and Ireza :rolleyes:.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-12-2009, 05:21 AM
So was Bardock a name made up by the studios then? I can't make anything out of it.

Shadow Skill
Sun, 04-12-2009, 05:56 AM
He's asian, his anime drawn skin is not exactly white. Unless his pigments changed to that beige/tan-pinkish colour from years of training and gaining muscles. :P

His eyes don't exactly scream out "Caucasian".

So he's asian, case closed. :P

I'm quite sure Japanese language has gone through some changes since 20 years ago. Less slang back then. :P

A lot of Japanese courses tend to teach Japanese with slang now... which I think pollutes the minds of those to try to learn the language. Best advice, find a 60 y.o teacher who's Japanese and get lessons. :P

darkshadow
Sun, 04-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Until Goku reached young adulthood, the majority of his friends agreed he was human. It means he looks human. Most would agree, an Asian human. We now know Goku as an alien who looks like an Asian male.

Actually, not at all. Bulma was scared shitless by his tail, Oolong wondered if he was an alien after the whole oozaru stuff, And one of them said "this kid is definitly not human!".

And really Goku doesn't look asian at all, when talking about anime with its LACK of clear definition in art, the only way to determine an ethnicity is by stereotyping the character.
And so far only Mai ( and perhaps Yamcha) looked asian.

animus
Sun, 04-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Now that I think about it, I had thought Chi Chi was just a name that sounded Chinese but in fact it's slang for tits, isn't it?

Animeniax
Sun, 04-12-2009, 10:52 AM
A lot of Japanese courses tend to teach Japanese with slang now... which I think pollutes the minds of those to try to learn the language. Best advice, find a 60 y.o teacher who's Japanese and get lessons. :P
That's a bad idea. Japanese is one of the most evolving languages, as they often adopt words from other languages, make expressions old-fashioned and obsolete, and shorten words and combine them into new terms.

If you learned the classical language from an outdated source, you would not be able to converse in the real world. Girls would call you kakko warui, and most Japanese under 40 would just not understand you. Also, the language in anime and other media would sound weird to you.

@animus: I doubt it. Were there any other characters with slang anatomical names?

Psyke
Sun, 04-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Chi (or Qi) is actually a pretty common name for Chinese girls. :o

XanBcoo
Sun, 04-12-2009, 12:02 PM
His eyes don't exactly scream out "Caucasian".
Every one of Akira Toriyama's characters have the exact same eyes, no matter where they're from. They're cartoon eyes and don't really scream out "asian" either. There were actually some characters had very Asian looking eyes, like General Tao, and Goku looks nothing like them. I have no doubt that Toriyama probably envisioned Goku as a Japanese kid, but there's nothing in his design to confirm it, and nowhere in or outside of the show is it ever stated. These arguments are just going to keep going in circles.

Edit: But don't get me wrong. Chatwin was the worst possible actor to portray Goku. That's obvious.

I'm quite sure Japanese language has gone through some changes since 20 years ago. Less slang back then. :P
Every generation of every language has its 'slang". It's just not a slang you would be familiar with.

So was Bardock a name made up by the studios then? I can't make anything out of it.
I remember reading that it meant "potato" or "root" or something. I really have no idea, someone who speaks Japanese would have to make a guess :confused:. It's annoying because the American studios romanized a lot of the names improperly, so "Buruma" became "Bulma" instead of 'Bloomer". Bardock could just be a weird romanization of some Japanese word.

darkshadow
Sun, 04-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Every one of Akira Toriyama's characters have the exact same eyes, no matter where they're from. They're cartoon eyes and don't really scream out "asian" either.

Mai's eyes are different from bulma's or chi chi's. She is also the only one that resembles an asian somewhat ( stereotyping).

animus
Sun, 04-12-2009, 02:05 PM
I remember reading that it meant "potato" or "root" or something. I really have no idea, someone who speaks Japanese would have to make a guess :confused:. It's annoying because the American studios romanized a lot of the names improperly, so "Buruma" became "Bulma" instead of 'Bloomer". Bardock could just be a weird romanization of some Japanese word.

Yeah, apparently Burdock is a root used in cooking I guess. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_burdock

Sapphire
Mon, 04-13-2009, 05:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KDpyHe2cG8&feature=bz303 Skip to the middle for "fan opinions"

lelouch
Sun, 09-20-2009, 11:48 AM
This movie was the biggest letdown since the 6th harry potter movie

UChessmaster
Mon, 09-21-2009, 01:45 PM
This movie was the biggest letdown since the 6th harry potter movie

How`s that posible considering Dragon Ball Evolution came BEFORE Harry Potter 6?

Penner
Mon, 09-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Obviously he has the ability to see into the future.

XanBcoo
Mon, 09-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Or, you know, he just saw Dragonball recently.

lelouch
Fri, 09-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Or, you know, he just saw Dragonball recently.

no, penner's right. I have the ability to see into the future.

Penner
Sat, 09-26-2009, 04:03 AM
I knew it!

Man i'm so jealous of you right now ^_^

So whats going on in the future?

lelouch
Wed, 11-20-2013, 03:15 AM
If I told you what was going on in an anime series in the future, would that still be a spoiler?

UChessmaster
Wed, 11-20-2013, 08:21 AM
The necromancy is strong here...

Shadow Skill
Wed, 11-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Fortune telling without the cookie? WHAT BLASPHEMY IS THIS?