PDA

View Full Version : TV: Journeyman

Munsu
Thu, 09-06-2007, 01:17 AM
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/422/journeymannbczu4.jpg

Here's the first episode dvd screener:
http://www.bt-chat.com/download.php?info_hash=0c12265c2af51611adc7204de91 b0b284e95f796

I thought it was quite good, though at first the episode seemed a bit forced, but by the end of it I liked it. Series starts on September 24 on NBC. I find it interesting how they are dealing with time traveling and how it affects the future. Like the future goes on while the guy is time traveling, it seems he can affect the future, but the future still remembers the past, something like that.

I think the first episode posted a couple of good plot elements that might make this series worthwhile.

Kevin McKidd (Rome) stars as Dan Vassar in this new series from NBC set to air in the fall of 2007. Dan is happily married with a son. It seems like he has everything going for him. Dan ends up traveling into the past. He changes people's lives, sometimes for the better, but sometimes not. During his travels he meets up with Livia Beale, he was engaged to her when she died in a plane crash. Knowing the future he has a chance to save her but how will that change his own future?

Honoko
Tue, 09-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Watched it last night. Thought it was pretty good since it focused more on the characters than on the actual time traveling gimmick-- which is always a plus for me. Will watch this for another few more weeks before actually making a decision to commit to it though. Shows like these are usually either really really good or really really crappy.

Munsu
Tue, 09-25-2007, 11:10 AM
What I liked about the first episode was that it didn't drag the "wife's disbelief". They resolved it in the first episode, and quite nicely. I think the show already has some interesting plot devises to milk. We'll see him struggling with his old love and his current wife, which he obviously cares for... even more so than he thinks. Let's see how the show carries himself from episode to episode, hard to say what is it going to deal with. Will he try to save a life one's an episode? Or will it be a continuous story?

Honoko
Tue, 10-02-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm starting to get into this. I must admit, however, that I never watched Quantum Leap or any other kind of show based on time traveling, which may be why I find it pretty interesting.

The time-traveling Livia character needs a little more fleshing out, though. I think her brief, mysterious appearance will consistently get more and more annoying if there aren't any more answers or substantial clues to her existence =P

Assassin
Tue, 10-02-2007, 05:50 PM
just saw the first ep...seems like a pretty good show. The livia girl can obviously time travel as well, which i think is really interesting. I wonder if they'll get into the mechanics of this ability....it seems the show is more character and story based, so its unlikely they'll ever explain how they're traveling back in time.

Munsu
Tue, 10-02-2007, 07:47 PM
What I like about the show is that while he's time traveling, the present continues, life continues. Still things are changing as life continues. The changes are not readily noticeable in the lives of the current characters, but I wonder when the changes in the past will actually start affecting their lives and how will the changes occur in their life (changes in the past) as they remain self-aware of what is going on and changes are taking place as the present continues. Yeah, I'm not sure of what I just typed... which further illustrates the complexity of the time traveling scheme in this series. It resembles a lot the time traveling of Hiro in Heroes, hopefully one of the shows will give us some logical answers on how the past and the new past start converging with each other and in the minds of the characters.

Honoko
Wed, 10-03-2007, 09:37 AM
^ Somehow, I happen to understand what you're trying to type. Like, how many circumstantial clues will Dan accidentally leave to his brother Jack ("counterfeit" $20 bill and the like) before it starts affecting Jack in the so-called present? Will he remember a time where he happened to pick up a certain $20 only to see it pop up years later?

Munsu
Wed, 10-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah, like it would be cool like the guy is talking to someone and then, bam, he gets a new memory out of nowhere. How will he treat this new memory? Will he realize that it's something that he just acquired? Or will he not realize anything and the memory just forms part of the past he has "always" known?

Honoko
Tue, 10-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Well, another "rule" was established with this episode... and more questions along with it. I think it's implied that Dan can't make up his own mission. Just because he's conveniently in a timeline that can affect everyone he knows in what HE thinks is a positive way doesn't necessarily mean that he's "meant" to pull it off. Which would then beg the question, who's calling the shots here with the time traveling? Is there someone who's predicting Dan's every move? Because Livia keeps advising Dan to go along with his instinct. And what's been shown so far is that his instinct doesn't necessarily produce the results he (or us viewers) predict. This, to me, points to a character "outside" history who can send Dan to whatever point in time in order to fix things for certain individuals.

Undoubtedly cheesy, I'll admit, since I'm raising the possibility of a "god" type character-- but it could explain how Dan's been consistently able to enter different time periods with remarkable accuracy over and over again. And explain how despite Dan's decisions or actions, things (so far) still work out for the positive.

As for Livia's revelation that she was a time traveler before she met Dan... ugh, that's something I'll need to stew over for awhile.

And if you can't tell yet, I'm going to commit to this series. It's piqued my interest for this long so hopefully it won't disappoint in the near future.

One more thing: Dan's wife is THE woman. Her husband's a time traveling freak of nature and she still sticks around (so far) and covers his ass while he's away and saves his job. She has my respect.

SamuraiOdin
Tue, 10-09-2007, 05:48 PM
According to http://tv.yahoo.com/falltv2007/photos/shows-in-trouble/169 Journeyman could be on the NBC chopping block. Not sure how reliable the info is, but who knows with all the new shows out this season.

Assassin
Tue, 10-16-2007, 09:01 PM
I really love teh intro to this series. The music is really nice and the intro scene look pretty kool as well.

Anyway. we're finally starting to get some overall plot now. This science professor guy is pretty interesting. And he seems to have some connection to Dan's father. I wonder if he was also a traveler. Its good that they're actually going into the reasons for this time traveling ability, i really didn't think they'd do that. It mite never get resolved, but its good to see them put in the effort instead of just shrugging it off.

AngryGumball
Thu, 10-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I really like this show it would be a shame if it fails to complete its first season.

I fail to understand ex-girlfriends place though she appears randomly during his travels, yet she only appears to be there to help him understand what he is doing during his travels. what is her purpose. Does this mean she is still alive in the normal time that he lives in? Then she disappears just as quickly as she appears in his travel time...is her task simply to help him or what is her purpose.

Assassin
Thu, 10-18-2007, 08:52 PM
It seems that her job is to help him in his life, just like his job is to help other random people.

Munsu
Sat, 10-20-2007, 03:57 AM
Episode 4 hinted at an underlying plot and a possible explanation for why he's traveling. Hopefully we'll keep getting hints in every episode from here on out. I'd say it was the best episode so far, with all the family drama, and the brother trying to steal his wife.

Assassin
Tue, 10-23-2007, 12:51 AM
pretty good episode tonite. That professor definitely knows something about the travelling...but it almost seems like he wants to use it for his own good. We also get to see dan's father, and his son now knows about the time travelling....or atleast about the 'magic'. .

Munsu
Thu, 10-25-2007, 01:03 AM
Yep, it was a good one. And indeed the proffesor does know something he isn't saying. Him meeting his dad was great too. I was wondering when the episode will come when he goes missing while taking care of his son, but I'm glad they resolved the whole situation in one episode, with him finding out that his dad can do magic. It would be nice if he would start buying weapons and carrying them all the time, and start killing off people in the past... we need a bit of more action in here. It was great too to see him acquire all that stolen money, which he can use in his travels.

Assassin
Tue, 10-30-2007, 08:42 PM
So, we have another character who seems to know something about tacheons. Although he's definately a one-time character, he did have some interactions with the professor, which makes the professor that much more interesting.

Does anyone know where i could get an mp3 of the intro instrumental? Even a tv-rip would be fine...i just want that song/music. Its so awesome.

Munsu
Wed, 10-31-2007, 12:49 AM
I'll try and look for it.

I think he won't be a one time character. Surely he won't be a regular, but I think he'll show up once again, probably towards the end of the season.

Munsu
Mon, 11-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Last night's episode was great, probably the best episode yet. And looking at the previews, it looks like the next one will be good too.

I really liked when he was fighting with himself in the past, he really got his ass kicked by a drunk. Liked the story on how they fell in love too. We also finally learned that Livia has been truthful all this time and she's not hiding any important information from us. She seems just as lost as Dan is. Jack really became an asshole in this episode, after an episode that actually made me sympathize with him. He turned the feds towards his brother, a complete jackass move.

Munsu
Tue, 11-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Haven't been able to find an mp3 version of the song, but it's an Amanda Ghost & The Rural collaboration, don't know the title of the song. You can hear the full version here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJqJqPZubA&watch_response

That aside, last night's episode was great and the next one looks like it'll be the best one yet. I think the way they are handling the time travelling factor in this show is great. Sure, it has flaws like all other shows that use it, but I like it so far. Dan is getting a bit of Lucius Vorenus in his vains. He really does a great angry character.

Assassin
Tue, 11-20-2007, 06:36 PM
lol ya....i loved this weeks ep. He was so close to making jack understand, but he screwed himself over. And now it looks like his son is in danger cuz of what he did in the past.

i wonder what happened to livia though? she seemed like she was talking from experience when she tried to make him stop.

Munsu
Fri, 12-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Fuck, it looks like series won't make it:
http://www.tv.com/story/10589.html

After reading that article, it pisses me off because it really seems like things would've started to pickoff at the season's end.

Munsu
Tue, 12-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Just watched last night's episode... another great one. It has a bit of Sophie's Choice feeling, in the way that he has to choose between his two children... one to live the other one to be erased from existance. Cool episode overall. Shame the fuckheads cancelled this series.

Assassin
Tue, 12-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Oh man, what a great episode. The series is really starting to pick up now, and they've gone and cancelled it.

I really like how they've gone from a sci-fi explanation for the time traveling to a more esoteric one. Also, we finally get to see the results of a screwup in the past. I wonder what kind of ramifications livia's mistakes have, since she can't really change the future, being from the past and all.

Munsu
Wed, 12-19-2007, 09:12 AM
She can always make the mistake of bringing future technology to the past or something.

Munsu
Fri, 12-21-2007, 04:40 AM
Well just watched episode 13, the last episode...

Thought it was a cool episode that showed how everything started, and it was a nice episode to end the shortened series. Some of the questions are answered, and the remaining ones are simply small curiosities. Would've liked for the series to have been longer, but they did well in ending a cancelled series the way they did.

Assassin
Sun, 12-23-2007, 03:51 PM
the last ep aired already? wtf. damn, gotta go find it now.

Munsu
Sun, 12-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Here:
http://www.bt-chat.com/download.php?info_hash=4c0db730e37eb26e416feed418c 6d9ed90f35a5a

GhostKaGe
Wed, 12-26-2007, 01:19 PM
I hope Kevin McKid (Dan) doesn't end up playing Thor (based on the marvel superhero) theres just no way in hell thats going to work as a movie. It will murder his career.

Assassin
Wed, 12-26-2007, 02:32 PM
woot, an awesome ending for an awesome series. They managed to pull things together really well, all in one episode, and give a sense of closure to the whole thing.

As for McKid playing Thor, i dunno anything about it. But he does fit perfectly for the character. He really does have a bad ass tough guy feel to him. Maybe its just cuz he was so awesome in Rome.

Munsu
Wed, 08-13-2008, 01:19 AM
Here's an interview with series creator Kevin Falls, and it talks about many things concerning Journeyman... it will give you an idea of the plans they had for the series, etc.. Quite a good read:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37863

Still pissed this got cancelled.

Sapphire
Wed, 08-13-2008, 06:42 AM
I'm surprised this show got cancelled. I watched it on the website. It was darn good.