PDA

View Full Version : TV: Friday Night Lights

Munsu
Sun, 09-02-2007, 06:42 AM
I'm half-way through the first season, but I don't think much of this series. Anyone here watches it or has tried it? It's very slow paced and the football portion of the series, which I was really looking forward to, I think is very lacking.

A couple of nice chicks here, but some too young for my tastes at the moment. I like how 95% of the characters, or maybe it's the actors, don't know how to talk and much less hold a conversation with other characters. With that said, 95% of the characters are retarded or borderline retarded.

I hear there's another season coming, which again makes me ask why they let this show go on while cancelling some great shows like Studio 60 and The Black Donnellys. Heck, I think I would've given The Nine more of a chance over this.

Genres: Drama, Sport
Tagline: Every day counts. One night matters.
Plot Synopsis: In the small town of Dillon, Texas, one night matters: Friday Night. Eric Taylor has recently been hired as the head football coach for the Dillon High School Panthers, the town's pride and joy. Friday Night Lights displays the stress that the town gives the high school players to win, and the hope that the team gives to a small town, and how a team has its low points, it's high points, and how they come together as a team on their way to victory.

I'll keep watching as I always do, but I'm not expecting much from it. What about the 2004 movie, anyone seen it and knows if it's any good?

Koyuki
Sun, 09-02-2007, 08:55 AM
I've seen the whole season. It's good. Though they could've dropped the football, it wouldn't have that big impact on the story. It's just a series about a little town in Texas, they could've done basketball, baseball anykind of popular sport. But it fits good with football because it takes place in the southern states.

I've only seen bits of the movie. The actors look older, there's less drama and more football. They have Billy Bob Thornton playing the coach. I don't like him that much, but I'll have to watch it someday. I think it got a 8-9 on imdb.

I find it hard that they cancel great shows like Studio 60 and The Black Donnellys and let this show run instead. Come on, those two series was really good compared to this.

Munsu
Sun, 09-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I guess it's not that bad... but the story lacks direction and everything that happens seems very random. But my biggest gripe with the show is on how bad the football games are portrayed. In fact, I think the highlight of the series is the handicap rugby games.

Got like 3 or 4 more episodes to go... in the biginning I kinda liked Lyra and hated Riggins and Tyra. But as the show progressed, Riggins has become a really cool character and Tyra too, but Lyra has really turned in the character I've must wanted to hit in the face. MILF Hunter.

Raven
Sun, 09-02-2007, 04:35 PM
The movie was really good, imo, if you can get past the whole southern accent (which annoys me), especially mixed with a general 80s feel.

See it if you get the chance, you don't even have to like football, although there is a fair bit of it in this.

Munsu
Fri, 09-07-2007, 03:26 AM
Finished the season... thought the final game was pretty good. Now I wonder how next season will deal with Coach Taylor. You guys think he will stay? Or do you guys think he'll really go, and if he does go how will it be handled?

Also, I don't see the Panthers repeating State once again, so I think they'll have shitload of problems next season.

I also liked that chick with the handicap fetish, Suzy... I hope she comes back next season.