PDA

View Full Version : TV: Kid Nation

masamuneehs
Thu, 08-23-2007, 12:31 PM
40 kids get sent out to an artificially created 'ghost town' in New Mexico for 40 days and are forced to establish their own town and society. The kids, ages 8-15, were extremely limited with their contact to the outside world and were told to follow CBS instructions or be expelled from the program.

I'm so watching this, especially since it seems that CBS was for real in creating the show. The NY Times got their hands on the contracts that the parents signed with the studio

The program has been criticized by New Mexico state authorities who have said that they were not notified in advance of the conditions, which they said appeared to violate state laws. The parent of at least one participant has complained to New Mexico authorities that the conditions were abusive and that several children were harmed during the production.

As is standard in such agreements, the parents and the children agreed not to hold the producers and CBS responsible if their children died or were injured, if they received inadequate medical care, or if their housing was unsafe and caused injury... (or) for any “emotional distress, illness, sexually transmitted diseases, H.I.V. and pregnancy”
The kids also can't talk about a good deal of stuff that took place during the show for up to three years afterwards (to not influence later rounds that may air later). Violation of the contract can be penalized with a fine up to $5 million

In return for whoring out their children as entertainment to the public and slaves of CBS, the parents get $5000 for the kid just getting through the show and $20,000 each time the kid is voted 'best participant' over the course of the 13 episode run.

The first thirteen episodes start September 19.

I usually absolutely despise reality TV, but if it makes for a decent human rights complaint, I'm at least interested enough to see just how Lord of the Flies things get. I'm sure CBS will be focusing on the positive aspects, but the entire premise is pretty interesting, in my book.

edit - saw that the kids get $20,000 each time they are voted top participant, so thirteen chances in all to hit it big, although i got a feeling one kid is gonna start out strong and the idiot text message voters will stick with him/her and maybe 3 or 4 others for the remainder

Munsu
Thu, 08-23-2007, 03:24 PM
This is actually one reality show that I've been wanting to check out.

Super5
Tue, 08-28-2007, 04:09 PM
This show seems pretty draconian to me. I mean, how far can you take reality TV before it gets ugly? I think we're quickly approaching that point, if they really are going to leave kids by themselves for that long. The parents of these kids are completely unfit. Leaving your kid to the mercy of the environment and other kids for 40 days just smacks of abandonment. And all for $5000??? Sure they might get $20000 x 13, but come on... a measly $5000 to risk life and limb? Anything for a buck, I guess.

So I won't be watching. I hate reality TV in general (most of it is stupid anyway - no plot or acting, and typically the "real" people are idiots), but this is the dumbest and most dangerous thing I've heard yet. CBS is going to get sued big time, and I doubt their contracts are going to save them.

/rant off

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program!

Iridani
Sat, 09-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Super5.. So far lots of people have been complaining about this show... saying it's child abuse because of leaving the kids "alone" in the town. Meanwhile... they're with the camera crew and more than likely a medic team on the sidelines to watch over them. They're not completely alone without adults. As for the money... the kids won't be getting it. They're all underage for the most part so it would automaticly go to their parents. So the parents are using their kids for money.

I may watch... I may not. Might just check in on it once in a while to see what's going on and such to see if anything's happened.