PDA

View Full Version : Game: Bioshock

Raven
Thu, 08-23-2007, 06:35 AM
Hooray for a local EB Games breaking street dates!

I got my hands on this badboy tonight, it's installing as I type.

The demo looked amazing on my PC graphically, and the whole thing just drips with atmosphere. It's been a while since I've been this excited about an upcoming game (besides the can't-get-here-soon-enough 1st party Wii titles).

Basically it involves being trapped in an immense underwater Utopia city called Rapture which has been torn apart via a genetic civil war. The original concept of Rapture was that those who lived there were not bound by morality, including that of science, art, etc. so you are free to express yourself or perform research however you see fit. But something went horribly, horribly wrong. It always does.

The whole place has a kind of creepy, 60s Frank Sinatra kind of feel to it, with monsters and other horrors around every corner. Can't wait to get into it.

Anyone already got/gonna get this?

Ryllharu
Thu, 08-23-2007, 06:59 AM
I've bought the 360 version at Walmart yesterday, so I won't be having some of the issues you might. A lot of complaints started floating around about the PC version. Just remember to UNINSTALL the game if you're going to reformat your harddrive or something similar. The Copy Protection only allows the game to be installed on two "computers."

That aside, I'm a fan of the steampunk style, so this was definitely a game I was going to get. Great atmosphere, creepy enemies (the halloween masks on some of the slicers), and environmental kills abound. If you take Half-Life 2's traps, but put them everywhere, you've got Bioshock (with the right Plasmid anyway).

On a side note: Walmart carded me for the game. I definitely look older than 17, but I was actually glad they're trying to enforce the ESRB ratings. Then, when parents start to bitch to senators, they only have themselves to blame.

Animeniax
Thu, 08-23-2007, 09:32 AM
I wonder how that copy protection scheme will work? Do you need to authenticate online like with Steam products? What if you don't have an internet connection?

Bioshock looks like an amazing game. Planning to get it soon.

animus
Thu, 08-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Maybe it's through the steam way, because Steam was offering pre-orders through it's system.

Turkish-S
Thu, 08-23-2007, 03:20 PM
WAhahahahaha i've got the game last thursday (360) and i finished it on sunday.. This game is fucking beautiful. Story was kinda disturbing (i hate the black haired scary little girl). Althhough i liked the whole rewriting of your dna-code... In the end i never used my powers (only shock to dissable turrets) the guns were enough..

EDIT: finished the game with 800 achievement points btw WOOOT...

Board of Command
Fri, 08-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Finished downloading this today. Will start playing maybe this weekend if a good crack is released by then.

Raven
Fri, 08-24-2007, 03:06 AM
I'll be interested to see how they crack it actually...

The system they're using involves being connected to the net to install, and the serial can only be used on two separate PCs at any given time. Of course, each serial is stored on their own system. Or so I'm lead to believe...

So yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Sandldan
Fri, 08-24-2007, 07:38 AM
I discovered a way to bypass their protection and play a downloaded version of it yesterday. But this is still one of those great games you just have to buy, i usually buy the "great" games and download the others i wouldnt buy anyway.

And after following the games developement and finishing the pc demo several times it wasnt a hard decision wethever i should buy it or not. Just got home currently installing it, will also have to download the widescreen fix someone put together.

And btw they increased the number of times you could install the games on different pc's to 5 from 2

Edit: Having some problems activating the game, it wont recognize my cd-key thanks to securom. Another friend that bhought the game is having the same problem.Things like this promote piracy instead of preventing it.

Sapphire
Fri, 08-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Everyone is talking about this game... It looks scary as hell to me.. I guess I'll get it. :o

Sandldan
Fri, 08-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Everyone is talking about this game... It looks scary as hell to me.. I guess I'll get it. :o
Got a friend that thinks the same about it, told him that it's not scary since they didnt want to scare you through the game in the first place. I was unable to finish doom3, there they wanted to scare the crap out of you. In Bioshock it's more like they want to disgust/freak you out.

Iridani
Fri, 08-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Haven't gotten my hands on it yet... but this is a game I definately want. If it's anything "scary" I'm there :P *Ninjas Raven's copy away to a remote location*

Board of Command
Fri, 08-24-2007, 04:58 PM
People said FEAR was scary but I found it pretty tame. Haven't played Doom 3.

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Bioshock is more like a cross between Half-Life and Fatal Frame, only if Fatal Frame gave you real weapons and the main character could actually run. Story is delivered through radio broadcasts, video screens, or sometimes creepy tapes left around, just like Fatal Frame.

It's a lot of fun. The game is easy, until you try to take down a Big Daddy. I've been going the Save the Sisters route, and the rewards are pretty nice if you're patient. There's some talk about the presence of the Vita tubes make the game too easy, but when you wake up from after dying via one of several "Mr. Bubbles," minus the ammo you just used, and with a lot less EVE, you're a lot better off reloading from a save.

On medium, you really need to think strategy through when taking down Mr. B. Making sure you know the lay of the land, where the explosive barrels are, etc. Slicers are easy, or simply annoying, but Big Daddy's are where all the challenge is. You've got to make a decision a lot of the time whether you can actually take down the pair, or hold off until you're prepared.

The game is really well, done, very competent AI, and great visuals. But it's the little touches that make it nice. Hypnotize one of the Big Daddy's, and the Little Sister runs off. After the Hypnosis wears off, he'll go up to a vent tube and pound and pound and pound at the wall. Finally she'll crawl out and tell Mr. Bubbles to get back to work. It's endearing, and her creepiness aside, actually kinda cute.

It's getting a lot of bad press recently from all the PC version issues, but the 360 version lives up to all the pre-release hype.

fahoumh
Wed, 08-29-2007, 09:21 PM
My cousin and I have been working through the game and it's crazy. The atmosphere was done really well and it really makes the game. All the audio diaries you find throughout the game really add quite a bit of depth to the game. Big Daddies are scary as fuck and we don't attack them until clearing a room of Splicers. Speaking of Splicers, those Houdini Splicers are FUCKING ANNOYING.

EDIT: we're a lot further on in the game and now the most annoying Splicers are the ones with guns. They may be even more troublesome than the Big Daddies. I like how the game may surprise you when you go exploring but doesn't necessarily punish you.

Koyuki
Sat, 09-01-2007, 03:32 AM
BioShock is one of the best games this year. I'm buying the Collector's Edition for X360 and downloading it for PC, seems fair.

Ryllharu: the game is the spiritual successor of System Shock 2. A great, but old game.

Lucifus
Mon, 09-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Downloaded and cracked BioShock(Crack realeased a few days ago)

Have....you guys ever seen such an awesome ending for a game? Seriously! :D

Great effing game, absolutly worth buying.

I'm glad I didnt buy it though because I need a new graphics card to play er. I only have pixel shader 2.0 Req: 3.0

I got by on a patch that made the game playable but extremly ugly at times.
Game was still oodles of fun.

Raven
Wed, 09-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Thanks for not spoiling, Lucifus.

No spoilers here btw, thanks.

fahoumh
Thu, 09-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Thanks for not spoiling, Lucifus.

No spoilers here btw, thanks.

Did anything I post count as spoilers? If so, I can edit them out.

EDIT: well, we finished the game tonight. Pretty good ending but I found it to be a little short. The final boss was pretty easy, but so was the game as a whole, IMO. We got 49 out of the 50 "achievements"..the only one we didn't get was the one you get when you play through the game on the "hard" difficulty setting.

RedX1z
Thu, 09-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Played the Xbox360 version, it took about less than two days to complete.

The story was rather simple, but it got the job done.

The endings weren't that great, but rather a bit disappointing. Regardless, I loved playing the game thoroughly.

The Big Daddy was only hard the first time, but after a while their attacks were easy to avoid and eventually too easy to kill once you get the hang of their pattern. A bit tough in the beginning, but greatly exaggerated by few.

This game still left a good impression on me, so if there were to be a sequel, I'd be the first in line.

Spiegel
Thu, 09-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I just found out my computer can't run it, arrantly my video card isn't supported or something. Oh well, on to other games.

Board of Command
Thu, 09-27-2007, 07:21 PM
I just played Bioshock with this video card for a while.

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/4757/dscf0010rk8.th.jpg (http://img463.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0010rk8.jpg)
(my own homemade cooling system)

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/457/dscf0012zc6.th.jpg (http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0012zc6.jpg)
(note the size of the card...)

I'm not going to say what this card is, what its specs are, or even why I'm running it in my home computer. All I will say is that its efficiency in terms of performance/watt is incredible. Will you ever be able to buy one of these in stores? Definitely not.

Bioshock on max settings looks like a completely different game from when I used to use my own 7900GS.