PDA

View Full Version : Moderator scheduling

Animeniax
Tue, 08-21-2007, 11:45 PM
I think there should be at least one moderator on the forums at all times. You could make a schedule when a particular mod needs to be on, in 12 hour blocks. I think it would make this a safer, better place. Keep in mind that we have international users posting here, so it will pretty much need to be a 24/7 coverage schedule.

Hikyuu
Tue, 08-21-2007, 11:54 PM
I feel like this could be a good idea but it should be kept private .. and discussed on the moder forums.. so users cant be like.. OH HE IS ON BETTER NOT TALK CAUSE HE HATES ME and will warn me for acting out a lil
EDIT: I forgot that moderating a forum isnt like IRC ... the posts dont go away so they can be checked and warned at anytime>> so I change my stance.. though it's nice to have a dedicated staff 24/7 may be asking a bit much

complich8
Wed, 08-22-2007, 12:26 AM
I disagree, and think the details of the idea are stupid. Nobody's paying me or the moderators to be here, so saying "you have to be here at X time" is approximately equivalent to "would all staff members kindly tender their resignations so the forums can completely go to shit".

You're aware that this is a bad idea already -- that's why you're suggesting it. Please stop that, it's horrible and lame and I'm going to have to ban you for it at some point in the near future.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-22-2007, 12:36 AM
You could just say no and lock the thread if you don't agree with a suggestion. I wouldn't have posted it if I thought it was a horrible idea, contrary to what some would say. When I suggest something like this, I don't mean it to be taken verbatim and set in stone like. Of course it would need to be tweaked and agreed upon by the powers that be. Without ideas, even seemingly crazy or ludicrous ones, things won't change, which means they won't get better either.

RedX1z
Wed, 08-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Nobodies telling you how to do your job, so the least you can do is not tell them how to do theirs. It's that simple.

Y
Wed, 08-22-2007, 12:38 AM
I think there should be at least one moderator on the forums at all times. You could make a schedule when a particular mod needs to be on, in 12 hour blocks. I think it would make this a safer, better place. Keep in mind that we have international users posting here, so it will pretty much need to be a 24/7 coverage schedule.

Moderating a low-traffic anime forum: serious business.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Nobodies telling you how to do your job, so the least you can do is not tell them how to do theirs. It's that simple.My bosses and customers tell me how to do my job all the time, but that's neither here nor there. I'm not telling the mods/admins how to do their jobs, just giving suggestions that I feel would benefit the forums. That's all it is, a suggestion, to be considered or dismissed after careful consideration. That's what the suggestion section is for, right?

I forgot that moderating a forum isnt like IRC ... the posts dont go away so they can be checked and warned at anytime How long should a spoiler be allowed to remain up, and how many people will be spoiled before a mod happens to see it and edit it? I'll admit 24/7 and 12 hour shifts would be asking too much, but those are just suggested guidelines that can be adjusted.

complich8
Wed, 08-22-2007, 01:34 AM
how about, if you see a spoiler you hit the report button and add the person to your ignore list?

Animeniax
Wed, 08-22-2007, 01:51 AM
That'd be a bit drastic, as there are a lot of supposed spoilers that aren't really spoilers but just educated guesses or outright fabrications. Besides, even the best of us slip now and then in our eagerness and post something that ends up being a spoiler, and it would be hasty to ignore someone for that.

I've learned you'd better have verifiable and notarized proof that you've been spoiled or that a rule has been broken before using the report function, or else.

David75
Wed, 08-22-2007, 02:17 AM
There's also the idea of having moderators in different time zones.
It works well with the report function and you don't need any planning.

In the end there's very little material that needs to be dealt with in a hurry.
c u

Kraco
Wed, 08-22-2007, 02:31 AM
We have now mods (or admins) from North America, Australia, and Europe (although I don't know how much moderating Terra gets done but anyway). So, the coverage in itself shouldn't be a problem. Besides, it's a many times proven fact Complich never sleeps, so that also contributes something extra...

Splash!
Wed, 08-22-2007, 02:33 AM
I happen to be a user who reads the manga of most of the anime that I watch, and I can assure you that these forums do a pretty decent job making sure the anime sections remain spoiler free (Much better than most forums). The spoiler policies are pretty strict. The moderators are relatively quick in editing out anything that has even the slightest hint of being a spoiler and I have seen rule breakers being dealt with pretty severely.

Also, looking at the post counts of of the moderators, you can tell that all of them frequent the forum alot. With many of them in different timezones like David75 said, even without actual schedules in place, its pretty safe to assume that the forum is moderated almost 24/7.
And btw, it is actually pretty easy to spot when something genuinely needs to be reported. If it is something that isn't blatantly against the rules and can afford to stay on the boards for a little while longer till a mod eventually gets to it, then I don't think it should be reported. Nobody likes to have their email inboxes cluttered unnecessarily.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-22-2007, 03:39 AM
I considered the time zone and country location angle as well, and noted the lack of representation from East Asia. Having a mod there would help cover most of Asia, as well as the west coast of the US.

I brought up this suggestion because I noticed one morning that 5 mods were on out of 7 users. Most mornings I see 15 users and 0 mods. Unless some were invisible, it struck me as being a little skewed.

kAi
Wed, 08-22-2007, 03:55 AM
Many things lead to the fact of having mods on and off the forums at any given time. We do have lives and there isn't THAT much work to be done, that insists we have more mods or one on all the time, we do other things than moderate forums as well, having more would be unnecessary and not really needed.

Also, mods might be on, but may not be actually logged in.

Munsu
Wed, 08-22-2007, 05:55 AM
You're aware that this is a bad idea already -- that's why you're suggesting it. Please stop that, it's horrible and lame and I'm going to have to ban you for it at some point in the near future.

You're seriously doing what your sig says you're doing, aren't you? You should stop before someone catches on.

Animeniax, you've been verbally warned 2 times already. You've forfeited your right to post suggestions, so stop creating threads in this section. Wether you think your suggestions are worthwhile or not, it doesn't matter at this point so save yourself the trouble of coming up with new nifty ideas; we don't care.