PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with my wireless internet

Zhan
Tue, 08-21-2007, 01:09 AM
My wireless internet that I share with 9 other ppl has stopped working. I don't know what the problem is, can anyone help? Is it my settings? I don't think it is...otherwise it wouldn't have worked from the start (its been working for half a year until it screwed up) Is it the internet provider?? No one in my flat can connect to it..Is there a possibility that we all caught a virus or something? Will it spread if we all use the same internet and share the same router? Could it be the router problem? Maybe the hardware like the access point or reciever problem? Its just so weird..all 9 of my flat mates were using it with no problems until it just fucked up on us..it will work again from time to time but mostly we can't connect to it. Our landlord suggests its not the internet problem but our settings, because the technician can apparently get it to work. The landlord says she can get the technician to help and if it is the internet problem then she will pay. If it is our settings problem then we will have to pay. Its a pretty large amount, so I really don't want to take the risk yet. So guys do you know what the problem might be? If i can somehow narrow the possibilities down then I can decide what me and my flatmates should do. Thanks.

EDIT: I checked my router, it is a dlink..and all status lights seem to be working..I've turned it on and off to restart it many times, but to no avail. On my computer it states that the connection is connected, and I am recieving a lot of bytes, but ain't sending enough...I can't load any webpages or anything..

Hikyuu
Tue, 08-21-2007, 01:13 AM
.. Can you plug in straight to the wall or modem and get it to work? It may just need to be reset.. or you could need a new one .. you should try and describe the issue a lil more in detail .. Check out also what it says on your router.. 192.16.1.1 or 2.1 If your computer isnt even able to detect the router then well.. first give more info on the issue ^^

Zhan
Tue, 08-21-2007, 01:19 AM
AI guess it does detect the router because I can connect to it..but doesn't load anything e.g. webpages etc etc. I can't really connect to it through the modem..we don't have one. Tried to reset it many times but it doesn't work..AAI don't know, I fiddled with the settings, tried everything I can, but it still doesn't work.

Assassin
Tue, 08-21-2007, 01:21 AM
If its just the wireless thats fucking up, then maybe the antennae on the router are busted or something. And how did the technician get it to work? did he get it to work on one of your computers, or are did you call a help line and they told you everything is fine from their end?

If 9 ppl all experience the same problem simultaneously, then its definitely not a computer issue. Either the internet connection is fucking up or the router is.

Zhan
Tue, 08-21-2007, 01:26 AM
The landlord said he tried it on his own laptop and it worked...but no one witnessed him doing it..maybe shes just trying to rip us off..but yeah, at first it was just me, but then eventually all 9 of us couldn't use it. We can all connect but we can't load anything from it. So if I'm not sending any bytes, does that mean there is something wrong with the antennae possibly?

Animeniax
Tue, 08-21-2007, 03:56 AM
Plug your computer directly into the LAN port on the router and see if you can get out, to determine if it's a problem with the router or the wireless AP. If you can't get out, while direct connected to the router, see if you can connect to the router config, usually by telnetting or opening a browser to 192.168.0.1 or 1.1. Once you're on the router GUI (or telnet window), you'll probably need the admin password. Check WAN settings and release and renew the WAN IP if it's set to use DHCP from the ISP, which it probably is. Depending on whether or not the IP renews and you can get on while direct connected, then contact your ISP to run tests between their CO and your router. Check wireless AP settings in the router config as well.

itadakimasu
Thu, 08-23-2007, 04:02 PM
i would suggest resetting the router... there shoudl be a little button that you hold down for a few seconds and will return the router to defaults.. give that a try but look at your wan login first...