PDA

View Full Version : I hate my comp.

python862
Mon, 08-20-2007, 01:57 AM
Okay, so here's the deal:

Before school released us last year, a couple of friends had prodded me into making a custom build. I enthusiastically agree and order my parts from Newegg.

Now here's the kicker: 3 months and a summer wasted, and OMG, IT DIDN'T WORK! So, not only have I become frighteningly familiar with Newegg, but I have also exhausted my funding after FREQUENT consultations with my tech-savvy friends, just trying to isolate the damn problem. This is a mistake I'll obviously never make again.

Kraco
Mon, 08-20-2007, 02:54 AM
Umm... Right. Since you didn't post this in the bitching thread, it indicates you actually wanted some useful comments, but that contradicts with the fact your description is even more vague than my mom gives me. Even she, knowing very little about computers yet using one frequently, can give a better description than: "OMG, IT DIDN'T WORK"...

Building your own system is no mistake. It can be a risk, though, obviously. As long as there have been competing component manufacturers there have been components ill suited for each others. That's not really any news. I guess your problem might be such since you aren't actually saying any component would be broken (as you could just get a new one from the warranty).

Animeniax
Mon, 08-20-2007, 03:12 AM
Your friends were playing a joke on you, ridiculing your lack of tech skillz.

Building a PC isn't difficult, but there's a reason companies like Dell and HP are around, it's just not for everyone. It's easy enough to buy all the components, since there's really only 7-10 parts you need. Like Kraco said though, compatibility is a factor. But it does take more than just slapping hardware together to get a PC up and running properly. Maybe try Geek Squad or find some friends who know what they're doing, or check out some online forums.

Btw, a man's PC is a direct reflection of the man himself, so hatred of your PC... well, you know where I'm headed.

Board of Command
Mon, 08-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Btw, a man's PC is a direct reflection of the man himself, so hatred of your PC... well, you know where I'm headed.
I love my PC and it loves me back.

Animeniax
Tue, 08-21-2007, 03:34 AM
Same here :cool: .

Carnage
Wed, 08-22-2007, 12:18 PM
I stick my penis in there every few days or so....

I don't know what I would do with out it :o .

Hikyuu
Wed, 08-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Mine sticks it in me -- any ways -- When my friend and I built this machine he told me to watch out for a lot of things. Screwing in the mobo wrong can crack it.. also Be very careful of static shock.. It can fry the circuitry.. It you have ever read megatokyo where one of the characters prefers assembling computers in the nude this is why.. also mounting heatsyncs can sometimes be a bitch and a half..
In general I have to agree with the sentiments of others and say I DOn' work is a bit vague. Please enlighten us further

Killa-Eyez
Wed, 08-22-2007, 05:47 PM
So why doesn't it work? :confused:

python862
Thu, 08-23-2007, 01:44 AM
Various reasons.
It could be one of or a combination of the motherboard (correctly mounted), the CPU, or the video card.

What was happening was that Windows would boot perfectly, but after 5-10 minutes, the whole thing would restart itself, no matter what I did or tryed.

Hikyuu
Thu, 08-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Did you overclock anything??? It sounds like a power issue... >> I think,,,

Animeniax
Thu, 08-23-2007, 02:02 AM
Did you get blue screens before it restarted itself? Check Dr. Watson logs. Possible memory issues. Get a memory benchmark program to test your DIMM(s).

Easiest thing is to borrow known good spare parts and start swapping them out one by one to isolate the failing component.

Hikyuu
Thu, 08-23-2007, 02:22 AM
also did you fuck with your BIOS at all... >> thats a nice thing to know

Kraco
Thu, 08-23-2007, 03:06 AM
Animeniax's suggestion was also the one that came into my mind first. A RAM issue. I suppose it could also be a heat issue (thermal expansion) in a broken component. It would work for a while but after getting warmer something would disconnect causing the crash.

python862
Thu, 08-23-2007, 05:14 AM
Only changes I made to the BIOS were common sense changes, like device boot order. I am not currently overclocking, and I don't really feel like fucking around with that at this very moment. Me and my friend went over the possibility of the RAM, but had switched Vid Cards and it worked. But, it's starting to do the same thing with my new one, so I'm worried that it's something up with the motherboard.

Also, no blue screens, it would just freeze and restart itself.

python862
Fri, 08-24-2007, 05:43 PM
I feel so damn stupid. All this time it was the hardware drivers. Don't ask me how, but the missing drivers had been interfering with the machine's performance. However, the problem is fixed and this is the first post I've made using my BEAUTIFUL computer.

I'll post specs later on

Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory:
1024MB RAM
Hard Drive:
200 GB
Video Card:
Radeon X1900 Series
Monitor:
Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card:
Envy24 Family Audio (WDM)
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard:
USB Root Hub
Mouse:
USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790) Service Pack 2 (3790.srv03_sp2_gdr.070321-2337)

Lucifus
Sat, 08-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Rofl, dude, why didn't Sean install drivers?

Hows the rig running? Get some more ram asap.

python862
Wed, 04-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Alright, new batch of problems! Okay, maybe only one easily fixable problem. Anyone know of a reliable Windows XP torrent? Or is that a taboo topic here?

Board of Command
Wed, 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Search for it on sites like Mininova and look for one that has a lot more seeds/leechers than others. There's a reason for that.

python862
Thu, 04-10-2008, 06:57 AM
There's a reason for that.
I can guess why, lol. Thanks man, I'll check it out tonight.

Archangel
Fri, 04-11-2008, 10:21 AM
I would use demonoid... ( cries ) but since they're gone go with pirate bay i guess.