PDA

View Full Version : Ramen bowls

Animeniax
Sun, 08-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Does anyone know how much salt or sodium is in a typical packaged ramen bowl? Most of the ones I eat say something like 150mg or 75% of suggested daily intake (based on a 2000 calorie diet), but does the amount go down if you only use half the packet of flavoring? Also, do you have to drink the entire cup of soup to get the full dose of salt?

Board of Command
Sun, 08-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know how much salt or sodium is in a typical packaged ramen bowl?
I figure every bowl is different.

Most of the ones I eat say something like 150mg or 75% of suggested daily intake (based on a 2000 calorie diet), but does the amount go down if you only use half the packet of flavoring?
The salt is in the flavor packet, not the noodles. So yes, your sodium intake is directly proportional to the about of flavor powder you pour in.

Also, do you have to drink the entire cup of soup to get the full dose of salt?
Assuming you added the entire packet.....yes.

python862
Sun, 08-19-2007, 01:11 PM
I say screw it, and boil my ramen noodles with seasoned water (water with pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, hot sauce... stuff like that) and also, I like to put the whole damn packet in at times.

Animeniax
Sun, 08-19-2007, 11:20 PM
You have to try the ramen bowls, they have a lot more variety than the noodle packs, though they also cost a bit more. I typically only use half the flavor pack, and I used to pour out more than half the soup stock, figuring doing both would cut back on the bad stuff like BoC suggested. Recently though I started liking the soup stock more and drinking it all, especially with miso ramen where the stock is delicious miso soup. I eat almost 1 bowl a day, so my sodium intake is getting high, hence my concerns.

Board of Command
Mon, 08-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Eat more sugar to counteract the salt.

Iridani
Mon, 08-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Heck just make the ramen with the sugar :P But seriously... if you only use half the packet of flavouring... you'd be cutting down yes and also if you only drink half of it. I wouldn't worry too badly though unless you add tons of salt to everything you eat or drink. THEN would I worry.

Board of Command
Mon, 08-20-2007, 12:42 AM
Salt water tastes good though. Especially tears.

Iridani
Mon, 08-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Oh yeah... gotta love those tears. Yummeh.

python862
Mon, 08-20-2007, 12:47 AM
This makes me more than a little bit concerned about your pastime... O.o

Board of Command
Mon, 08-20-2007, 12:54 AM
This makes me more than a little bit concerned about your pastime... O.o
Why don't you bring forth your concerns so that everyone else can concern over these concerns of yours concerning my pastime?

python862
Mon, 08-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Why don't you bring forth your concerns so that everyone else can concern over these concerns of yours concerning my pastime?
Leave me alone... I'm too busy concerning.

Board of Command
Mon, 08-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Leave me alone... I'm too busy concerning.
Just go back to touching yourself. kthx

masamuneehs
Mon, 08-20-2007, 01:07 AM
I can't believe I'm about to say this, but: Return to talking about ramen, please.

personally, i don't trust the stuff and, although i ate it quite a bit in my first two years of college, I've sworn it off ever since. I'm sure the flavor pack includes all sorts of stuff, so cutting down on it couldn't hurt.

Seriously. How hard is it to stay on topic? Jesus tap dancing christ...
Both of you are warned. Friggin shitposters...

python862
Mon, 08-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Just go back to touching yourself. kthx
Truth be told, I took a few minutes to try to come up with a response to this, and I have to say, I still don't have one.
*points randomly* LOOK, A DISTRACTION!! *runs away and QQs*

Animeniax
Mon, 08-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Eat more sugar to counteract the salt.Does this really work, or will I just end up fat from all the sugar and bloated from the water-retention caused by the salt?

Iridani
Mon, 08-20-2007, 01:23 AM
You'd end up pretty round after a while...

python862
Mon, 08-20-2007, 01:29 AM
Does this really work, or will I just end up fat from all the sugar and bloated from the water-retention caused by the salt?
Actually, the really big thing to worry about is that insta-heart attack powder (MSG) that's inside the soup/boullion.

Board of Command
Mon, 08-20-2007, 01:49 AM
I can't believe I'm about to say this, but: Return to talking about ramen, please.

Seriously. How hard is it to stay on topic? Jesus tap dancing christ...
Both of you are warned. Friggin shitposters...
I thought this was supposed to be the warning? Then you come back to edit after python posts again and I get warned as well??

Makes no sense man. Just because people follow doesn't mean I'm leading...

Iridani
Mon, 08-20-2007, 01:53 AM
In a sense... "shit posting" does fall under "general topics" o.O; So... it doesn't matter but it does. Does Jesus even tap dance? Stay tuned to find out on the Ramen Channel!

Anyways... who knows what's really in those packets. MSG...salt... loads of stuff. Might be small but still counts in the end after it builds up. Gotta love how they sneak forms of MSG into everything after the straight stuff got banned.

Board of Command
Mon, 08-20-2007, 01:55 AM
I used to eat MSG powder many many years ago at my grandparent's place. My grandma used it for cooking sometimes. I ate it in very small doses though (a couple grains every few weeks).

Iridani
Mon, 08-20-2007, 02:01 AM
I've only eaten it if they happen to use it at restaurants I went to... stuff makes you bloat like salt... and if they use salt along with it. Joy.

python862
Mon, 08-20-2007, 02:03 AM
I thought this was supposed to be the warning? Then you come back to edit after python posts again and I get warned as well??

Makes no sense man. Just because people follow doesn't mean I'm leading...
(before you ask, yes, this is off topic)

I'm sorry, but as I was replying to you, Masa was as well. The reason for the delay is that I'm forced to use my PSP to post, as I currently have no PC access.

Once again, sorry.

Animeniax
Mon, 08-20-2007, 02:10 AM
I think recent research has shown that monosodium glutamate isn't as bad as originally thought. As with products like saccharin, they need to adjust their testing practices to get a better reading on their long-term effects on the human body.

python862
Mon, 08-20-2007, 02:28 AM
Well, the smear campaign has already done it's job dislodging MSG from any prepared foods, cause the only reason people have started purchasing these items is because companies like Kraft and Stouffers are being 'forced' to advertise no MSG products, because of the government's fuck up with the original stuff. So basically, it's one huge vicious circle started by the ever-reliable US government. (Sorry 'bout the rant :p)

Animeniax
Mon, 08-20-2007, 03:05 AM
Unfortunately the polysodium glutamite manufacturers have deep pockets and lobbied American lawmakers to side with them in their smear campaign against MSG producers, leading to our current distrust.

I've never checked ramen bowls for their msg content, and happily with the new research showing that msg isn't necessarily bad for you, I won't have to. Yea for uninformed dietary choices!

David75
Mon, 08-20-2007, 03:25 AM
Well, the smear campaign has already done it's job dislodging MSG from any prepared foods, cause the only reason people have started purchasing these items is because companies like Kraft and Stouffers are being 'forced' to advertise no MSG products, because of the government's fuck up with the original stuff. So basically, it's one huge vicious circle started by the ever-reliable US government. (Sorry 'bout the rant :p)

Ramens are bad for your health, go on for Mac and BK... that's it, isn't it?

Well, I love cup noodles too much to get caught by that :D

Regarding MSG and Salt... well for salt I know I use too much and I don't even read what's written on packaging. However, I do not eat that much fully manufactered food...

For MSG, I do not have any problems with it (some have headaches?), so I didn't bother before reading that thread.

c u

Animeniax
Mon, 08-20-2007, 03:32 AM
The guy who invented instant ramen and cup o' noodles recently died in Japan. He supposedly ate a bowl of ramen every day for several years and he lived to be 96.

Lucifus
Mon, 08-20-2007, 07:36 AM
I used to eat those pre packaged ramen packs every single day. Sometimes twice.

For MSG, I do not have any problems with it (some have headaches?), so I didn't bother before reading that thread.

I used to get killer headaches, and have since decided it isn't really that good an idea for me to be drowning myself in so much ramen. I've switched to cup ramen and I don't get those headaches anymore.

I even go so far as to load in cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt free Mrs. Dash. YaY for Mrs. Dash! Damn good stuff. Tastes better than ever and I no longer get headaches. I can only guess the MSG contents far less than what I got with those square pre-packaged ones. I used empty the entire package into the bowl.

<3 Cup Ramen and Mrs. Dash. Delicious stuff.:cool:

And Richard, still posting on that PSP eh? I thought you play WoW now, so doesn't that mean you finally got your own Internet Connection?

Animeniax
Mon, 08-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Could it have been something else that contributed to your headaches, like dehydration, or poor posture, or too much tv, or that 50 lb anvil that you used to rest on your head? Just kidding. I used to get frequent headaches, but those could be attributed to dehydration, poor posture, and too much time on the PC or in front of a TV (or both at once). I never figured it was something I was eating that caused them.

I've never eaten that much of the square packaged stuff, but the bowl/cup type is basically the same. All the writing is in kanji, so I can't see if it says "no added MSG" like you see on a lot of packaging these days. Oh well, it's worth the high blood pressure and hypertension, cause ramen rocks!

Honoko
Mon, 08-20-2007, 08:16 AM
I think in general the noodle quality of the packaged stuff is better than the bowl, albeit it takes a *slightly* longer time to make since I go out of my way to make a broth before dumping in the noodles. At any rate, I love ramen, whether it's the Korean one or the Japanese one.

Animeniax
Mon, 08-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Are you talking about Cup o' Noodles when you talk about bowls? Cause the bowl of noodles like Nissin Donbei are higher quality fare than the square packages:

http://www.maruwa.com/onlineshop/ramen/PNS60.jpg

Honoko
Mon, 08-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Never tried that version. I had a Japanese bowl once but it couldn't compare to a Korean bowl and tried too hard to taste like real ramen from a Japanese noodle shop. When it comes to bowls, this one's my personal fav:
http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/food/noodle/27001.jpg

But sometimes I want thicker noodles than what the bowl stuff offers so I'll go out of my way to actually cook.

Animeniax
Mon, 08-20-2007, 08:53 AM
I've had those before, it's Korean right? I didn't like how the noodles didn't absorb the soup flavoring, and it was a different type of noodle, not typical ramen or soba. Might have been like udon. They have a spicy variety that's really good too.

Psyke
Mon, 08-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Korean instant noodles are very popular nowadays, but I'd still prefer the Japanese ones. As a kid, I used to eat instant noodles "dry". I break the uncooked noodles into bite sized chunks, and add in the flavouring and shake the whole packet. Friggin' salty but I used to like it. God knows how much damage I took back then....... :(

I'm actually waiting for my nissin instant XO sauce seafood flavour noodles to be ready while I type this.

Honoko
Mon, 08-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I must try this Nissin instant now... must start looking for it. They have to sell it somewhere in New York.

Oh, and eating dry noodles from the package was a favorite past time of mine as well :D Sometimes better than potato chips!

darkshadow
Mon, 08-20-2007, 10:09 AM
dry noodles... god they taste good.

rockmanj
Mon, 08-20-2007, 10:22 AM

That, sir, is extremely disturbing; i hope that u emit anti-hormones in order to keep yourself out of prison.

Psyke
Mon, 08-20-2007, 10:23 AM
I must try this Nissin instant now... must start looking for it. They have to sell it somewhere in New York.

Good luck on your search! Here's a picture to get you started. :D

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4320/nisxoseafoodag3.jpg

Do they have Japanese sections in the supermarkets in the US? Over here, we have entire sections dedicated to Japanese food and other products. Pricey, but at least it's as authentic as it can get.

Honoko
Mon, 08-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Even better, I know of a Japanese supermarket (Jasmart) in Manhattan. Although it'd be sweet if I could find a Japanese store somewhere closer to home.

Board of Command
Mon, 08-20-2007, 12:11 PM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4320/nisxoseafoodag3.jpg
I love that flavor. I used to eat the bag version of that all the time.

python862
Mon, 08-20-2007, 01:04 PM
@Lucifus: Long story. I'll PM ya.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the cup/bowl ramen in my local Walgreens, minus Maruchan. Also, when I was growing up, my parents would dump ice cubes in it, which to me, ruins the flavor.

David75
Mon, 08-20-2007, 02:58 PM
So far, I really do prefer Cup Noodles from Nissin, and they're so easy to prepare when you have an electric kettle.

I'll have to search for a japanese supermarket near Paris to get most of all the flavours existing... cause the online stores providing them are too far from France and thus have high postal cost. (Or maybe should I searh better)

I'll think I'll print the pics above, as I may find those cups in the largest asian supermarket of paris (which has only 4 nissin cup noodles flavours, and many other brands in large numbers....)

Keep posting pics,
thanks

Board of Command
Mon, 08-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Nong Shim is pretty popular too. I've been eating this for lunch the past couple days

http://fastjack.at/images/uploads/Shin_Ramyun.jpg

RedX1z
Mon, 08-20-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm a big fan of Nong Shim too, but that comes second to..

http://www.the-monkey.net/UserFiles/Image/misc_food/noodles/nongshimpotatonoodlesoup_front.jpg

infidel
Mon, 08-20-2007, 06:53 PM
I've never actually bought an actual Ramen bowl, the noodles I cook are the Maruchan Ramen Noodles. (The ones that come in the different colored packaging, with the flavor packets.) I practically live off of the chicken flavored noodles during the winter...which is probably not good for my sodium levels.

python862
Mon, 08-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Ramens are bad for your health, go on for Mac and BK... that's it, isn't it?

Now, now, you're putting words in my mouth. I also happen to understand that fast food establishments (McDonald's in particular) put very bad 'nasties' in their food to make it taste 'better' or make you want more.

That isn't the point I was trying to make. What I was trying to say is that MSG, as we all originally thought, was bad, and therefore a lot of food companies were made to go and change products or change advertisements to stop the lowering of sales. Actually, come to think about it, that was directed more about the government than anything, not about Ramen. Personally, I love to eat Ramen on a rainy day or when there's absolutely no food in the house.

Anyway, if anyone lives in Florida and knows of a place to get these cup ramen, please let me know, so I can try it out.

Board of Command
Mon, 08-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Any Asian food store will have it, and I'm sure there's at least one Asian store in every city.

Animeniax
Tue, 08-21-2007, 02:22 AM
You can also order them online via Amazon marketplace, one of the vendors is koamart, and they sell the Nong Shim brand. There are other vendors on Amazon who sell Nissin and Maruchan products. Also, Maruwa.com sells the Japanese brands, and they ship from California.

Honoko
Tue, 08-21-2007, 08:44 AM
My Chinese friends are telling me that short of ordering online, I'd have to go to HK to get them =P They're not helpful. The search continues!

Animeniax
Tue, 08-21-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm getting a craving for the XO flavor now, but none of the places I order from online carry it.

I was wondering what XO sauce was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xo_sauce

Edit: I knew I'd seen them somewhere before:
http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3101

Nuts, lookit that sodium and saturated fat content!!:

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5637/xoramenil5.th.png (http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xoramenil5.png)

David75
Tue, 08-21-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm getting a craving for the XO flavor now, but none of the places I order from online carry it.

I was wondering what XO sauce was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xo_sauce

Edit: I knew I'd seen them somewhere before:
http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3101

Nuts, lookit that sodium and saturated fat content!!:

The cups you're showing are for those who wish to make only one meal a day (aside from breakfast) !
Man 600 calories on 1 cup!

Take a look at cup noodles, they are only 300 calories, because half the weight...
They are quite enough for an evening meal.
I sometimes use them when I'm on a diet and I do not want to mess the kitchen up :D

Animeniax
Tue, 08-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Not necessarily. The typical American dietary guidelines calls for 2000 calories a day. If you reduce that to 1500 because you're a sub-150lb (65kg) Asian, you can still have one of these bowls for a meal and still have 900 calories to split between your other two meals. Also, sub-150lb (65kg) Asians usually have higher metabolism, so they can consume more than 2000 calories a day and not gain weight.

A cup o'noodles is exactly half the content of one of these bowls, hence half the calories, but it's never been enough to satisfy me for one meal.

David75
Tue, 08-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Not necessarily. The typical American dietary guidelines calls for 2000 calories a day. If you reduce that to 1500 because you're a sub-150lb (65kg) Asian, you can still have one of these bowls for a meal and still have 900 calories to split between your other two meals. Also, sub-150lb (65kg) Asians usually have higher metabolism, so they can consume more than 2000 calories a day and not gain weight.

A cup o'noodles is exactly half the content of one of these bowls, hence half the calories, but it's never been enough to satisfy me for one meal.

Well I didn't write it properly:
600 calories cups are maybe a bit too much for a meal
300 ones are maybe a bit too low, but nice while on diet once in a while.

We just have to remember we shouldn't eat such cups too often, even though
eating properly can be a real pain in the ass (messing up the kitchen and having wife
yelling :D)

c u

Honoko
Tue, 08-21-2007, 10:10 AM
300 ones are maybe a bit too low, but nice while on diet once in a while.

But... wouldn't the sodium-intake be kind of counter-productive to your diet? You retain more extra-cellular water that way and it takes a bit longer to get rid of.

David75
Tue, 08-21-2007, 11:04 AM
But... wouldn't the sodium-intake be kind of counter-productive to your diet? You retain more extra-cellular water that way and it takes a bit longer to get rid of.
Well there's 1g of salt in a 300 calories cup noodles pot.
1g isn't that much compared to many other fully prepared food.
And I have a tendency to take too much salt, yet not much of a problem with retention.

I'll endup saying that a diet does not only focus on weight loss, but rather fat loss.
Things are so cruel that in most of the diets you loose water and muscle first, and then fat.
And after your diet you tend to increase in fat, replacing muscle you lost before... so in the end you're really screwed.

c u

darkshadow
Tue, 08-21-2007, 05:13 PM
lol i take like 3000 calories.. a day, minimum >_>

David75
Tue, 08-21-2007, 05:49 PM
lol i take like 3000 calories.. a day, minimum >_>

well, a job that need force, daily sports, very (Like in very..) cold climate are reasons for increasing calories/day
Or being quite fat (I know that quite well...)

c u

Animeniax
Tue, 08-21-2007, 11:14 PM
I ate two ramen bowls yesterday, one for breakfast and one for lunch. And I don't mean the small single serving bowls like regular cup o'noodles, I had two of the gaijin-sized bowls that are 475-600 calories each.

They need to develop a way to package those delicious slices of pork and naruto like you get in restaurant ramen. I get bored of just noodles and small bits of meat in my ramen.

Board of Command
Tue, 08-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Put some fried onions in there if you can buy some locally. It really brings the flavor to a whole new level.

Animeniax
Tue, 08-21-2007, 11:34 PM
I'll try that when I'm back in the states, but where I'm at currently there's no vegetation, at least not the edible kind. Though when I'm in the states, I'd rather find a Japanese restaurant that served real ramen. I only eat the packaged kind in a pinch.

infidel
Tue, 08-21-2007, 11:45 PM
I don't pay attention to any of my nutritional intake. I know when to stop eating, however. I usually just eat when I'm hungry and enough to make myself full -- not noting any of it's nutritional value. My habits have been working out fine, although I do have a habit of reading the nutritional facts and that amount of sodium turns me off for the pure reason I am not a big fan of salt.

Animeniax
Tue, 08-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Well you're still young, in the prime of your life by most standards. You also probably keep somewhat active working, so food intake isn't a huge concern. Lucky bastard.

Iridani
Wed, 08-22-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm at the point yet I don't really care what I eat... and I eat when I'm hungry too and stop when I'm not. But like infidel I don't like salt too much either... at least not a full shaker of it in one meal item.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-22-2007, 12:11 AM
You're also still young enough to not worry too much about what you eat. Lucky bitc... I mean, lucky you.

Iridani
Wed, 08-22-2007, 12:18 AM
*Curtsies* :P You were right the first time. And yeah... I don't really worry. I mean I can eat a full pizza by myself. Not that I do it often but still.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-22-2007, 12:24 AM
You mean one of those oven baked pizzas like DiGiorno's or Freschetta, or one from Pizza Hut? The oven baked frozen ones have something like 1400 calories, and I used to eat the whole thing myself for one meal.

Iridani
Wed, 08-22-2007, 12:36 AM
The oven baked ones usually... I haven't been to Pizza Hut in a while or anywhere for that matter. Those are probably double the calories to eat one full of those.

Honoko
Wed, 08-22-2007, 08:26 AM
@Animeniax: If you're in Manhattan I know of a couple of ramen places you could check out.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-22-2007, 09:45 AM
@Honoko: sorry, never been that far north, but thanks for the offer. I'm currently overseas, but I'm from Houston. I tried to find a ramen shop in Houston by asking at a local Japanese market, which directed me to a restaurant that might sell ramen, but not as a main course. It turned out they didn't sell ramen period, and they had no suggestions as to where to find a place. What sucked was that one of the girls suggested I try a ramen bowl from the supermarket, and I think she was being a smartass, but maybe she didn't mean it that way.

Honoko
Wed, 08-22-2007, 02:25 PM
That's weird... doesn't Houston have a pretty strong Asian population? One of my roommates in college was from that area and I met a lot of Asians hailing from Plano (not that I know my Texas geography-- Houston and Plano could be on opposite sides of the state for all I know).

Animeniax
Wed, 08-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Haha, Plano is up near Dallas, about 250 miles north of Houston, but yes there is a large Asian population in Houston, just not Japanese. Vietnamese pho noodle soup dominates the Houston noodle restaurant market. I was thinking of opening a ramen shop, but for most Americans, they'd rather pay 25 cents for the square packet than $5 for a bowl.

David75
Wed, 08-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Haha, Plano is up near Dallas, about 250 miles north of Houston, but yes there is a large Asian population in Houston, just not Japanese. Vietnamese pho noodle soup dominates the Houston noodle restaurant market. I was thinking of opening a ramen shop, but for most Americans, they'd rather pay 25 cents for the square packet than $5 for a bowl.

Yummy! A nice Pho Ga (chicken) bowl.

Thanks, that reminds me I can go to that little Pho specialist in Paris, from true Vietnamese origin. I'll go on Friday.
Nicely, a large asian supermarket is nearby so I'll be able to buy Cup noodles, packages I've seen on that thread (if available) and cristalised ginger.

c u

Animeniax
Wed, 08-22-2007, 10:12 PM
I've been hankering for some pho too, but I don't think there's any instant pho like there is instant ramen. I figure the raw beef would be tricky to package and preserve. I'll have to wait until I'm back in Houston to get some.

Idealistic
Wed, 08-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Many times I crack an egg or two into my ramen. Also throw in a scoop of rice too if I'm really hungry. Then a bunch of other seasoning like cayenne pepper.

Animeniax
Thu, 08-23-2007, 01:04 AM
The whole egg or just the yolk? I'll eat them at a restaurant but not when I make noodles at home. I do put strips of seaweed in my bowls of instant noodles. Adds even more salty goodness.

python862
Thu, 08-23-2007, 01:12 AM
Are you talking about the dried Nori sheets sliced into strips or something completely different??

David75
Thu, 08-23-2007, 01:23 AM
I've been hankering for some pho too, but I don't think there's any instant pho like there is instant ramen. I figure the raw beef would be tricky to package and preserve. I'll have to wait until I'm back in Houston to get some.

Well as for ramen, there are some pho packages. However like for rame, these are mainly pasta... so the interrest is limited.

c u

Animeniax
Thu, 08-23-2007, 01:27 AM
Are you talking about the dried Nori sheets sliced into strips or something completely different??Yep, dried nori strips. I used to eat them alone, but lost the taste for them. They do add to the flavor of a ramen meal though.

Well as for ramen, there are some pho packages. However like for rame, these are mainly pasta... so the interrest is limited.
c uWith pho it's the meat and stock that make the meal, the noodles are just filler. With ramen, the noodles are the meal, with everything else just garnish, so it's easier to package. That's how I feel about them anyway.