PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Gotwoot (at least for now)

Deadfire
Mon, 08-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Well this is something I wished I didn’t have to write but it was suggested I do (strongly mind you). At first I wasn’t even going to try but it seems that some really do care about my persona on the net so writing a little something is worth it to them.

This is my farewell to Gotwoot and Resignation as a Moderator, effective August 19th

For those that don’t know, the reason for this is that I will be serving my home of Canada in its military. The contract I have with them is 4 years long and has a long training plan ahead for me. The reason for doing this was purely on reasons of personal advancement, and not for a reason of “I want to go shoot people” More information can be found in this thread (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=14585)

In the coming months it will become harder for me to visit the forums much less watch anime that I have been downloading and have not been able to watch as well. If I find time to visit the net it will be writing E-mails to family and friends first. This is a farewell, however I would like you all know that it’s possibly not permanent. I’m not sure what the future will hold for me, although I hope fate has a good story to tell me. I will miss my days at Gotwoot and #gotwoot. The laughs, the bullshit, the ups and the downs, they were really good times.

I can’t be glad of everything that has happened over these years, more recently my own decline in the kindness I once had to those on the these forums and frankly some other things. I’m not proud of it, and I wish that I could retrace those steps, however it is pointless. I’ll miss more then a few of you all, being that the people here were basically my only community for the last 3-4 years. Some people I met here I count as real friends, and I would be glad to help them in anyway I could.

At that I’d like to finish this post off, I’m not very good at writing farewell letters so this is about as far as I can get.I wish good luck to all of you, and here is to hope that I’m not gone forever.

Also one last thing for you all: DF's Farewell Contest (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=15092)

-DF

-Pte(r) David "Deadfire" Lagimodiere

Assassin
Mon, 08-13-2007, 10:44 AM
aww, they grow up so fast *sniff* ;)

masamuneehs
Mon, 08-13-2007, 03:12 PM
...well, i'll miss him, even if we didn't always see eye to eye on things...

and, if you read this, DF, good luck out there in the army. don't let it get to you badly and take care of yourself.

complich8
Tue, 08-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Make sure to come around when you can, and don't get shot by the Russians in the war for the pole in 2011.

All the best to you, DF.

Carnage
Tue, 08-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Peace out and good luck. Have fun :(

master_me
Tue, 08-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Aw, good luck bro :(
If it makes you feel any better, Twisted Renders fell through so it's one less thing to think about.

RyougaZell
Tue, 08-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Good luck DF.
May Saber be with you...

Seriously talking (writing?) I do hope you do good, and once in a while come and say hi.

Honoko
Tue, 08-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Make sure to come around when you can, and don't get shot by the Russians in the war for the pole in 2011.
I agree!

Best of luck to you, man!

Kraco
Tue, 08-14-2007, 03:32 PM
At ease, soldier! Military training in itself is an experience unlike anything else you can get in the world and as such invaluable. Maybe during all those months in training you will actually catch a few other modes of combat in addition to your dear deadfire. You never know!

Take it easy and don't look back. Gotwoot won't be the same but it'll manage somehow.

mage
Tue, 08-14-2007, 04:44 PM
I can't say I ever liked you, so hopefully you'll die in a USA friendly fire bombing.

Zentron
Tue, 08-14-2007, 05:40 PM
As long as you don't have the American military in front or behind you at any point within 4000 miles either way, you'll be fine ;)

Good luck with your training.

Board of Command
Tue, 08-14-2007, 05:45 PM
The reason for doing this was purely on reasons of personal advancement, and not for a reason of “I want to go shoot people”
Yeah right. I thought about joining the reserves for a couple months last summer to earn some tuition while shooting some guns. Didn't happen.

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Your moderate moderating style will be missed.

But you never know. Before America entrenched itself in an unwinnable war, my friend was in the army. He was stationed in Germany and watched more anime and played more xbox than he ever had in high school.

But take heed of complich8's warning. Those Russians are wily.

Hikyuu
Tue, 08-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Oh hax :( Last time I come back to gotwoot like 5 days before you leave :(-- Goodbye DF you will forever be a girl in my eyes.. The way it was meant to be.

ChaosK
Tue, 08-14-2007, 09:07 PM
See ya Deadfire, give those Danes hell. And be sure to bring Saber pictures with you to keep your sanity.

Animeniax
Tue, 08-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Military life won't be as constrictive as you imagine, you'll still have time to surf the interweb and watch animes. It's the Canadian military after all, not the IDF or US Marines. Soldiers in the US Army stationed in Iraq are issued XBox 360s along with their BDUs. Gotta keep morale up.

So another mod position opens up. Who will be deemed worthy? BoC or Psyke would make good choices.

Carnage
Wed, 08-15-2007, 01:17 AM
We already have so many mods at it is :confused:

complich8
Wed, 08-15-2007, 01:32 AM
With Deadfire's departure we're down to 7 active mods, plus terra (who's closer to a mod than an admin). I think that still has us covered enough that I don't have to wear the mod hat too often. If it feels like there's a staffing shortage, I might consider recruiting someone else in a couple weeks... but only if I feel like there's a real shortage.

Lucifus
Wed, 08-15-2007, 06:26 AM
Man, DF......Your leaving us with quite a parting gift. (Farewell Contest)

I wish you the best and hope you take what you'll learn in this period of your life seriously.
Its been good knowing you and i'm sure most of us sincerely hope these last few days won't be the last we'll see of you.:D

gr3atfull
Wed, 08-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Wow... I didnt think you would leave the forums. Anyways, good luck with everything and I hope you will have a great experience. Enjoy the four years because time passes really fast!

Inazuma
Wed, 08-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Best luck to you,
And it's not that bad it's not like you enrolled in Canadian Arm- ... nevermind.

Don't forget to look in sunglasses it will be the most important part of your job, don't forget to look tough too.

Bon voyage.

Sapphire
Wed, 08-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Farewell DF, I didn't know you were so close to leaving when I just got back! :(

Have fun and bring back some cool stories.

Board of Command
Wed, 08-15-2007, 08:54 PM
So another mod position opens up. Who will be deemed worthy? BoC or Psyke would make good choices.
Good to know you're helping my campaign again. I also believe I would be a good choice.

*sends PM to JaySee*

Lucifus
Wed, 08-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Personally can't see why you would want to be a mod....

I've played the part before and quite simply more responsibility sux.:rolleyes:

Iridani
Wed, 08-15-2007, 09:10 PM
You take care of yourself hun... Everyone here's going to miss you... (yes even those who hate you, cuz then there goes their hobby of annoying you :P)

Can't wait for the 13 weeks to be over so I can see you again at your parade.
<3

Board of Command
Wed, 08-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Personally can't see why you would want to be a mod....

I've played the part before and quite simply more responsibility sux.:rolleyes:
As if the serious undertone in my campaign isn't obvious enough......

darkshadow
Wed, 08-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Well.. it will sure be a different place without the commie.bastard.ru around, take care man :D

Animeniax
Wed, 08-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Good to know you're helping my campaign again. I also believe I would be a good choice.I've always been on your side, the side of truth, honor, and the Canadian way (sigh, I caught on to the joke too late). We need more yellow representation on the mod squad (and NO people, Assassin doesn't count).

@Iridani: Easy remedy, sign up with him. Or do the canucks not take chicks in their military?

Iridani
Wed, 08-15-2007, 11:21 PM
@Iridani: Easy remedy, sign up with him. Or do the canucks not take chicks in their military?

They take females of course... do I wish to? No. I don't really have any particular qualifications for it aaaaaand I'd have to lose my hair. Wouldn't bode well.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Like DF has any particular qualifications beyond his camo fetish?

They make you cut your hair? Barbarians! The US Military lets girls tie their hair up in a tight bun, which is a very sexy look in my opinion, especially when the bun starts to unravel and some loose strands hang out... niiiice.

Iridani
Wed, 08-15-2007, 11:35 PM
I'd have to probably either shave it off... or cut it pretty darn close to my head. Rather keep the three feet of hair that I have.

Deadfire
Wed, 08-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks to all for your well wishes, It's good to see so many people give good wishes to a persona that wears a Saber avatar that you barely know.

Like DF has any particular qualifications beyond his camo fetish?

They make you cut your hair? Barbarians! The US Military lets girls tie their hair up in a tight bun, which is a very sexy look in my opinion, especially when the bun starts to unravel and some loose strands hang out... niiiice.

How about a college degree with honors in Network Administration, Cadet Experence for 7 years, and various other things :p

And they would let her tie up her hair in a bun, she just doesn't want too :P

Iridani
Wed, 08-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Don't want to translates to barely can :P You saw that mess of a braid bun I did earlier today! I couldn't do that tight knot they want on my head.

Board of Command
Thu, 08-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Aren't a lot of the women in the military lesbians? Or have I been misinformed?

Iridani
Thu, 08-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Well if I went in I'd be pretty straight :P So... who knows?

Board of Command
Thu, 08-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Then you'd be a minority if I have indeed been correctly informed.

Assertn
Thu, 08-16-2007, 09:38 AM
L8r player. Go get some good war stories so you can be less boring to the rest of us :]

ChaosK
Thu, 08-16-2007, 12:15 PM
You take care of yourself hun... Everyone here's going to miss you... (yes even those who hate you, cuz then there goes their hobby of annoying you :P)

Can't wait for the 13 weeks to be over so I can see you again at your parade.
<3

Waaaaait, parade?! Iri I demand you video DF in his parade so we see what he looks like in the military.

NM
Thu, 08-16-2007, 04:16 PM
All the best in the military DF! I'm still kinda sad that you're leaving on my birthday because while I'm at home celebrating with family, a friend that I may only know through the intarweb (and his various collection of Saber avatars/sigs :p ) is about to head off into real battles someday. But we're all with ya 100% so go out there and make Saber proud! And come back safely to you're family and friends (and GW!). :)

Foomanchew24
Thu, 08-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Isn’t the Canadian Military like joining the Peace Corps? Anyways, best of luck to you, hope you learn many valuable things and your life is richer for the choices you make.

Personally I was more worried when DeathBooZ Joined the Israeli Army, there were questions as to if he would come back alive. I'm thinking you should be ok.

Assassin
Thu, 08-16-2007, 10:41 PM
I'll let my terrorist friends know not to kidnap you and hold you for ransom. if you do get into trouble, tell them you know me and it'll be all good ;)

Carnage
Thu, 08-16-2007, 10:56 PM
What if he can't speak their language :confused:

kAi
Fri, 08-17-2007, 01:48 AM
daka daka daka paki jihad daka paki ass daka ass paki in daka daka.
Communication is easy with these paki creatures.

Good luck to you, hope you like it.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 08-17-2007, 02:16 AM
wow, I thought i was over with all these drafting parties a year ago... it's always so sad to see another one going down..
kidding, it's much worse in your case, you're signning yourself for five years...
don't worry though, the time of trainning just flies by, it's the routine service that draggs on.
you might want to take a DVD portable player and a bunch of anime discs, since it doesn't seem you'll be home on a regular basis (at least now) and you'll probably have some free time on sundays (or whatever off day you crazy canadians have)...
don't forget to brush your teeth each day, and change underwear at least twice a week.

keep a notebook and a pen on you 24/7. you never know when you might hear a cool song you'll want to download when you get back, and all kinds of stuff.

whenever you see something that you don't know who it belongs to, and chances are that it doesn't belong to someone you know/care about - TAKE IT. i can't count the number of favors people owe me for filling up gaps they had in equipment.....

Also, get a good leatherman, it's priceless, there are only a few things that can't be solved by using one, and those thing simply require a hammer or a mallet.

don't forget to smile, but don't do so during bootcamp - the officers there hate all light and exist only to create misfortune. they smell happiness and it gives them allergies.

If you're ever around the neighberhood, come by, I'll get you some batteries and a http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4745/11200werthersoriginalqv1.jpg

Psyke
Fri, 08-17-2007, 11:30 AM
I barely had time to watch TV or sleep, much less anime during my first year, since most of the time it's training and I only get to go home for slightly over a day during weekends. But not to worry, you definately get more freedom as you progress up the ranks. The responsibilities and stress increases, but at least you get to make decisions and play a more important role within the organisation.

It's sad to see another member leave, but I'm sure there's always time to check back every now and then during holidays and lull periods. Anyway, good luck on your career, DF!

Animeniax
Fri, 08-17-2007, 11:47 AM
The conscripted Singaporean military will probably be a bit stricter than the Canadian military, so it might not be that bad. The US military has plenty of time to goof off, from what I've seen, though I couldn't say what their day to day schedule looked like.

joker-kun
Fri, 08-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Even though we always bashed each other in the channel DF it was fun. Good luck and I hope you do well and in the end find what you want to do. If I do decide to do military before or after University be sure to be nice to me if I see you okay?:p Have fun and claim that north pole for us!!

Spiegel
Fri, 08-17-2007, 07:38 PM
DF is leaving me.....

I don't know if I can handle it....

kenren
Sat, 08-18-2007, 02:14 AM
All the best , DF!
and..uhhhh.. have fun too? :)

Iridani
Sun, 08-19-2007, 02:04 AM
Almost time... lame.

masamuneehs
Sun, 08-19-2007, 02:11 AM
for things like this I've always tried to recall this slight variation of a quote by Theodor Seuss Geisel:

"Dont be sad because it's over. Be glad because it happened."

Iridani
Sun, 08-19-2007, 02:12 AM
I'm very glad :) And I know he'll come home.

Animeniax
Sun, 08-19-2007, 03:15 AM
for things like this I've always tried to recall this slight variation of a quote by Theodor Seuss Geisel:

"Dont be sad because it's over. Be glad because it happened."Yeah but remember from "Men in Black", when J says "better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all", and K angrily retorts "try it".

It's an argument I made about AC in a third world country. If people aren't used to having AC, then would they care if it was ever invented at all? The only ones who complain about lack of AC are the westerners who have enjoyed it and now don't have it.

Paulyboy
Sun, 08-19-2007, 03:57 AM
Farewell man, its late and im up, I know how it feels, going to the Navy October 10th :). Im proud to serve my country and its benefits :). But I know you will do fine, you seem very forward and ongoing with this decision. So best of luck.

IFHTT
Sun, 08-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Take care of yourself man, you'll be back before you know it..

Arcn3ss
Sun, 08-19-2007, 08:07 AM
DF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>_>

Might as well do our greeting in my farewell post to you for a few weeks.
Good luck with training, but hopefully we get to see you come on to IRC from time to time.
Take care of yourself ( as TT said).

So to end...

DF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greater than, Underscore, Greater than.

~Haku

Spiegel
Sun, 08-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Lesser Than, Underscore, Lesser Than......

Oh the good times that will be missed and the bad ones that won't, I will miss you my Lesbian Commie!

And on a last note here..... http://havemybaby.info

RedX1z
Sun, 08-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Perhaps we were never on the same page with many issues in the past, but putting that all aside, I hope you have a safe trip there and a safe trip back. Take Care.

"Give me the strength to walk in a man, then give me the strength to walk out as one." - Lincoln Burrows from Prison Break(Highly unnecessary, I know..)

Splash!
Mon, 08-20-2007, 06:09 PM
I know its a little late but I would like to say farewell to a fellow Canadian.

On another note, Assertnfailure has also retired? Moderators dissappearing left and right.