PDA

View Full Version : Post credit for voting in polls

Animeniax
Wed, 08-08-2007, 05:42 AM
We should get post credit for voting in polls. It's a form of participation in the forums and will encourage voting in polls, as well as help peoples' post counts. We have so many users, but polls usually get 20-30 votes total, and that's a shame.

Kraco
Wed, 08-08-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm pretty sure Complich might have posted such statistics before, but if you consider the number of active users, then how many people do you need in order to reach... let's say 85% of new posts? Are there much more than 30 really active people around?

Animeniax
Wed, 08-08-2007, 08:36 AM
I don't really care about the poll accuracy, I just want a higher post count without resorting to spam, trolling, or other nonsense in threads I don't really care about. It's a win-win situation.

David75
Wed, 08-08-2007, 09:21 AM
The post count is useless and shouldn't be a way of getting recognition.
On some other quality forums, they even get rid of that...

c u

Kraco
Wed, 08-08-2007, 12:02 PM
The post count is useless and shouldn't be a way of getting recognition.
On some other quality forums, they even get rid of that..

Well, this is an anime forum. We aren't here for useful things but for entertaining things. And it does bring some small entertainment to check the post counts of other people.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-08-2007, 12:59 PM
I just want the admiration and deference that comes with high post count. In most forums, people with high post counts are typically looked upon as experts and treated with more respect than the noobs and tourists. While that kind of reverence does not exist here on gotwoot, I still want the high post count so I can practice looking down on the common posters with their 500 and less posts.

complich8
Wed, 08-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Post credit for polls is not a vbulletin feature. Would require code mods. Not difficult code mods, but code mods nevertheless.

I don't like the idea, since "click this button" is a bit less involved than "type a response and click this button".

Also, in the whole history of gotwoot since the migration to vbulletin a year and a half ago, we've had a grand total of 72 polls. 48-63 and 67 are the e-penis contest, and most of the ones in august came from the flame pit where posts don't even count for postcount credit.

In short, it's not gonna happen. Not only is it a bad idea imo, but it's also a bad idea with a minimal impact.

Are there much more than 30 really active people around?
Since July 1, 2007, there have been 6062 posts made on these forums by 269 active users.

Of those 269 recently active users, 69 have a post count for that time period greater than 20.

Of those 69 with >20 posts in the last month, 8 have an overall post count less than 100, which would represent new, relatively heavy users. On the other side, there's 12 out of those 69 that have over 3000 posts.

Because I'm bored and already wrote the query, here's the top 20 posters from July 1 to now, and their post counts since July 1. This includes posts made in the flame pit, which again don't reflect in a person's reported post count.

| username | posts |
+------------------+-------+
| Board of Command | 400 |
| AssertnFailure | 284 |
| Animeniax | 270 |
| Yukimura | 197 |
| shinta|hikari | 196 |
| SK | 188 |
| masamuneehs | 182 |
| Kraco | 169 |
| Munsu | 159 |
| rockmanj | 141 |
| Lucifus | 139 |
| bbaucom | 123 |
| complich8 | 122 |
| XanBcoo | 113 |
| Ryllharu | 108 |
| animus | 104 |
| Carnage | 102 |
| Psyke | 84 |
| Y | 83 |
| RyougaZell | 80 |

Animeniax
Wed, 08-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Numbers rule.

Can you say why posts in the flame pit aren't counted towards post counts? That probably took extra code to achieve, so I'm just wondering.

edit: I guarantee you, if you increased post count for participating in polls, there would be more polls than the system could handle. I'd make sure of it.

David75
Wed, 08-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Well, this is an anime forum. We aren't here for useful things but for entertaining things. And it does bring some small entertainment to check the post counts of other people.

Well, it works that way on most forums, that's why some people are posting recklessly to get that liltle recognition. I know what it is, I've been doiing it in my first years on the internet... when I wasn't so sure of myself ;)

Now that I understand myself better, and better see how things work, I sometimes identify post count as a nuisance. Cause it's a totally unfair and segregating way of instinctively give value to users.

But that's only my opinion.

just want the admiration and deference that comes with high post count. In most forums, people with high post counts are typically looked upon as experts and treated with more respect than the noobs and tourists. While that kind of reverence does not exist here on gotwoot, I still want the high post count so I can practice looking down on the common posters with their 500 and less posts.

I guess you understood my point and are just fooling around. But maybe you aren't that much.

Now that it's said that this feature would be almost useless... I guess the discussion is less important.

Aye, I do not like polls too much too, so I guess that I'm happy that things turn the right way... I would'nt have liked to have the forums overflooded with polls. Lucky this time I guess.

c u

Assertn
Wed, 08-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Jesus lol, BoC

Yukimura
Wed, 08-08-2007, 03:39 PM
It's ultimately up to each user to decide how much post count factors into their perception of others. All disabling visible post count does is take away one way for people to make snap judgments. But how much value is there in the opinion of someone who judges other people based on how much they've said instead of what they've said?

complich8
Wed, 08-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Snap judgments... Age, join date, reputation, post count, user title, avatar and sigs all play a part in that.

Can you say why posts in the flame pit aren't counted towards post counts? That probably took extra code to achieve, so I'm just wondering.

That's a feature that vbulletin already has. Big difference between toggling a radio button to "no" and writing (cleanly, and maintaining) the code behind the scenes.

XanBcoo
Wed, 08-08-2007, 07:19 PM
I post less than shinta|hikari? I don't even know who the hell that is.

I just want the admiration and deference that comes with high post count. In most forums, people with high post counts are typically looked upon as experts and treated with more respect than the noobs and tourists. While that kind of reverence does not exist here on gotwoot, I still want the high post count so I can practice looking down on the common posters with their 500 and less posts.
For the record, it's always seemed like the people with high post counts are the users that have been around the longest. An older join date and higher post count are usually correlated pretty well on any forum. So all jokes about "spamming" aside, I think it's more likely that that's where respect would come from.

Even in a shitstorm like Narutofan.com's forums, where the average poster has upwards of 2,000 posts of spam, the users with posts in the 20,000s (and upwards) still seem to be the respectable, mature users because of their earlier join dates.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-08-2007, 11:17 PM
shintal only posts in the anime threads. Like anyone reads those sections :rolleyes:. If flame pit posts get no post credit, anime section posts should get only .5 post credit.

Since it requires new code to increase post count and that's too much of a hassle, how about we pm an admin with our weekly poll participation totals and they can change our post count on the backend?

complich8
Thu, 08-09-2007, 12:15 AM
If you do that and pick me as your admin to annoy, I will ban you. And IP ban you. And possibly write a script to replace the contents of all your posts thus far with the lyrics of the Major-General's song from The Pirates of Penzance, one line per post, repeating.

Lucifus
Thu, 08-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Keep it up Animeniax. Come on! I've never asked you for anything before.

As a plus. I really like that song Mr.8allthecake.

Animeniax
Thu, 08-09-2007, 12:40 AM
If you do that and pick me as your admin to annoy, I will ban you. And IP ban you. And possibly write a script to replace the contents of all your posts thus far with the lyrics of the Major-General's song from The Pirates of Penzance, one line per post, repeating.Well I wouldn't send you the weekly until we came to a consensus on the process. That's to say you agreed to implement the process in the first place.

complich8
Thu, 08-09-2007, 12:46 AM
.... right .... and I already said that I didn't like the idea. So there it stands... unless you can convince wilik or terra to do that for you. But I doubt that's gonna happen either, which makes this thread pointless. So I'm closing it.