PDA

View Full Version : Movies: The Invasion

infidel
Sun, 08-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/theinvasion/trailer1/)

The Invasion tells the story of a mysterious epidemic that alters the behavior of human beings. When a Washington D.C. psychiatrist (Nicole Kidman) discovers the epidemic’s origins are extraterrestrial, she must fight to protect her son, who may hold the key to stopping the escalating invasion.

I've read that this is meant to be a remake of "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" but since I have never seen that movie, or heard of its premise I really can't say. I am, however, excited to see this movie. Nicole Kidman is an excellent actress and it doesn't seem to be one of those over-the-top Sci-Fi epics.

masamuneehs
Sun, 08-05-2007, 07:56 PM
one of the most classic sci-fi horror conspiracy films ever. I believe this is the third remake of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', and the original is pretty dated, but an excellent premise that's been repeated in tons of tv shows, mini-series and paid tribute to a gazillion times.

The original was a very poignant film because it came during the heart of McCarthyism and the anti-Communist hysteria in Hollywood (where actors and staffers were 'black-listed' for suspected ties to leftist 'commie' groups). Some say it warned against 'Commies taking over' and others thought it was about the hysterical McCarthy movement trying to 'replace' any potential commies with upstanding capitalist zombies.

All four movies, including this remake, credit Jack Finney's novel, which appeared in installments in magazines, 1954.

i'm not a huge Nic Kidman fan, but she has put in good work before. I've never heard anything about the director, and I'm not inclined to see a remake of a classic that I already know very well. I'll wait for video, at the best. The trailer suggests that this movie focuses on a larger scale (the original is set in a small town) and has 'the pod people' forming more of a conspiracy than in the other films.