PDA

View Full Version : The Naruto DVDs different version in europe?

Harima Kenji
Sat, 08-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Since the only real Naruro DVD thread is in the open discussion forum, where I dare not enter, I'll start this one here.

A few months ago, I ordered the box set of 'season 1:1' of Naruto and the box of 1:2 came in today.

In the thread in the open discussion forum it said that the translations were ok and all (I believe I read somewhere in this subforum that the subs were great and really accurate etc.)
After watching the DVDs (first 26 episodes) I really think that the subs are far from good.

On the first DVD box, some of the translations are just weird, for example if someone says "Kakasi-sensei", or simply "sensei", it is translated as "Sensi". To my knowledge Sensi isn't a word at all. So whoever translated this doesn't really seem to know what he is translating.

On the second DVD box things started to bother me. Instaid of something like 'Teacher" they translated Sensei as "Master". And "Master Kakasi" sounds just plain wrong. I understand that in some situations sensei can mean multiple things, like doctor, or even master. But it's obvious that if you want to translate it in this case, it should be Teacher, since Kakashi & co. are basically teachers. Since sensei is said a lot, those weird translations are getting really annoying.
Lamest thing of all: "Master Guy". Yes, Guy. There are a lot of translation mistakes I can live with, but translating names wrong is just unprofessional. His name is Gai.

Besides the "Sensei" thing, the translations didn't feel right. My knowledge of Japanese is very basic, but when even I notice that they translate something that isn't said, something is wrong. The best example I can think of is on the 2nd DVD box. In the episode after the Zabuza arc ended, Team 7 is doing D-rank missions. One of them was weeding somebody's garden. In the end of the scene, the lady says to Naruto: "You've uprooted all of my plants", while she clearly (even to me) is telling Naruto "There weren't weeds" or something like that. It's nothing big, but it gets annoying if the translations are really off.
I'm not asking for litteral translations, since that'll look retarded, but at least try to accurately translate what is being said and don't make things up.

So far my complaints/rant/whatever about the subs.

What I'd like to know is: Are the DVDs the same as the US release? On the DVDs I have (I imported them from the UK), Viz isn't mentioned. Only 'Manga' is noted. Is that the european name of Viz?
The thread in the Open Naruto forums also mentioned that the subs are the same style as TW's, but the subs of my DVDs are plain white.

Please don't think I like to whine about subs from DVDs, because I have quite a number of anime DVDs, and I don't have any real complaints about those subs...

Kraco
Sat, 08-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Manga used to be a British company distributing anime in Europe (UK). It seems to be an American company these days, though, now that I checked it. But I'd guess they have the distribution rights for Naruto in Europe, then. Or parts of Europe, however they are sold and bought.

Maybe their subs are inferior compared to Viz's American subs if you spotted lots of mistakes.

Death BOO Z
Sat, 08-04-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm sorry I have to ask this, but are you sure you didn't import some HK bootlegs?
you know, the worse than shitty computer generated subs, practically unreadable dialouges, obvious TV-rips, and that kind of shit?

It just seems that you were seriously conned into buying and waiting for shit.

Edit: well, Kraco says that "Manga" is a legit thing, so you've probably got the real thing..

?igma
Sat, 08-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Manga(the publisher) is mostly being distributed through France these days. I'm not sure what that matters to anything, but France is the import manager of all official releases within Europe currently.

They dub/sub it with French subs and French sound/spoken language and they take over or translate to English themselves. Most of the animé released in Europe are so badly translated , even the most depresssing animé can become its own parody.

I've got a whole collection of Manga- Anime and they, each and every single one of them, has a dual-language file. French and English.

With one exception, The Guyver is actually translated to Dutch ( also a manga release ).

There's also some Dybex releases and they generally support 5 languages. Spanish and German included with Belgian, Dutch and French

RyougaZell
Sat, 08-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Lamest thing of all: "Master Guy". Yes, Guy. There are a lot of translation mistakes I can live with, but translating names wrong is just unprofessional. His name is Gai.

False.
Official name is Might Guy.

If I had a scanner I would post a picture I got alongside a Gashapon.

saman
Sat, 08-04-2007, 08:29 PM

actually, in this case, the DVD's got it right. the english version translates gai's name as "Guy". full name "Might Guy".

Kraco
Sun, 08-05-2007, 02:37 AM
I've got a whole collection of Manga- Anime and they, each and every single one of them, has a dual-language file. French and English.

All Manga distributed DVDs I have offer only the original Japanese and English sound tracks, plus English and Nordic subs. I guess Manga tailors the DVDs to different regions in Europe, the northern Europe being one of them. No idea what kind of sound tracks and subtitles genuine UK releases have then. Possible the same as in France if most of your disks have English and French dual language.

Harima Kenji
Sun, 08-05-2007, 02:49 AM
The DVDs I bought only have an English and Japanese sound track. I know about the crappyness or the French DVDs, so I avoid them.

Just to be sure: the US DVDs don't have these annoying subs?

If Guy is indeed his real name, then they were ideed right.
edit: According to Wikipedia, the name Might Guy was shown in an official artbook.
I must admit that it looks very weird, since I'm used to Maito Gai... But that is something I'll just have to get used to.
tnx for clearing that up for me.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-05-2007, 03:35 AM
I have all the US Uncut volumes so far(Volume 4 comes out this week! Huzzah for Lee vs. Gaara!) and I haven't noticed any errors in the subs.

Guy is an actual real name in the US and Europe, so the Guy/Gai thing doesn't bother me. Two different spellings of the same name.

Harima Kenji
Sun, 08-05-2007, 03:49 AM
I have all the US Uncut volumes so far(Volume 4 comes out this week! Huzzah for Lee vs. Gaara!) and I haven't noticed any errors in the subs.

Guy is an actual real name in the US and Europe, so the Guy/Gai thing doesn't bother me. Two different spellings of the same name.
The name Guy bothered me b/c I thought it was wrong.. now that I know it's actually right, It doesn't bother me anymore.

And the 'Master' or 'Sensi' thing are not in the US DVDs?

I'm really thinking of selling my DVDs and import them from the US..

?igma
Sun, 08-05-2007, 04:00 AM
So in other words, a part of Europe get's screwed by the French.. It's always the French..

I made one mistake though, It _has_ the Japanese spoken language, but also the English and French. They all come with Japanese, the translations are rather bad usually though.

Harima Kenji
Sun, 08-05-2007, 05:06 AM
DVDs released in France mostly have the Japanese and French audio, and french and Dutch subs. These Naruto DVDs have Japanese and English audio and English subs. The French releases are mostly found in France and the Benelux... and I bought my DVDs in the UK.

What I think happened is: Manga bought the Viz audio and the european rights for Naruto, subbed them themselves, screwing it up in the process.
What I thought was strange, was that the DVDs only credit the Japanese staff (after each episode in an unskippable staff roll.. VERY annoying)

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-12-2007, 05:48 AM
I just got my Volume 4 in and I was watching specifically for it because you asked.

In both the english audio and the english subtitles, Lee calls him "Guy Sensei"