PDA

View Full Version : So I Bought a Dell... (and stoll this topic name)

Necromas
Sat, 08-04-2007, 01:34 AM
I just spent $1300 and some cents on a Dell Insprion 1520 loaded to the teeth with...

-Midnight Blue Armor
-15.4" Anti-Glare Widescreen
-Intel Core 2 Duo T7300, 2.0GHz, 800Mhz, 4MB Cache Processor
-256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Video Card
-2GB, DDR2, 667MHz RAM
-160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
-Windows Vista Home Premium
-Other stuff nobody cares about like the service plan

From what I can tell, it should make for an awesome cost efficient gaming machine and cover my bases for a sweet college laptop. People are always whining about Dell, but for other brands I'd be paying hundreds more after tax and shipping and everything for laptops that don't quite match up to it's performance. It seems most of the complaints about Dell are about their customer support and pricing, but I'm taking care of this baby so customer support shouldn't be an issue and obviously the price issue is already taken care of. No reviews about this laptop list any problems with it except for an occasional complaint that the latch should be stronger, and it seems well built and solid, which also goes against Dells reputation. So am I a sheep for getting a piece of crap Dell, or a genius for getting such a deal on a high performance laptop with rave reviews?

Also, what are your opinions on what kind of games this baby can handle?

P.S. Oh crap, I just saw the typo in the thread title.

Board of Command
Sat, 08-04-2007, 01:38 AM
Awesome deal. I don't think you can find anything better for $1300.

SK
Sat, 08-04-2007, 02:04 AM
Shitty processor. Shitty RAM.

Necromas
Sat, 08-04-2007, 02:28 AM
Shitty post.
Warned.

Shitty processor. Shitty RAM.
Shitty troll.

SK
Sat, 08-04-2007, 02:30 AM
Shitty troll.

Someone is mad they didn't get 800+ RAM.

?igma
Sat, 08-04-2007, 03:30 AM
no SK, he's mad because you fail to explain why,how and what his options would have been.

edit : oooooooor I don't read and should pluck my eyes out, it's a laptop.

Cant say much about laptops, they're always overpriced imho.

No wait! I can say something about laptops. Look, laptops and games..it's like saying Xbox and free internet. You can do it, but to gain all benefits , you'll have to pay. Same with Laptops. You can game on them, but to enjoy it, you'll need a proper PC. It's a real hype laptops and games, but to me, you're best off buying a cheap laptopt with alot of HDD space and programs such as photoshop, visual studio, etc. So you can use them for studies. Anything past that, is a waste of money yes.

Assertn
Sat, 08-04-2007, 04:20 AM
Shitty troll.
Well....you did ask for peoples' opinions on your purchase.....

Animeniax
Sat, 08-04-2007, 08:41 AM
He only wants positive opinions to stroke his pride, like anyone would who just dropped (relatively) a lot of money on a purchase.

It's a pretty good laptop for the price, except for the fact it's a Dell, but maybe their Inspiron line is better than their Latitudes.

?igma
Sat, 08-04-2007, 08:43 AM
He only wants positive opinions to stroke his pride, like anyone would who just dropped (relatively) a lot of money on a purchase.

It's a pretty good laptop for the price, except for the fact it's a Dell, but maybe their Inspiron line is better than their Latitudes.

No ,more likely, because it's easy for people to come in and say hah ! you suck lololololololol endless loop.

Animeniax
Sat, 08-04-2007, 08:51 AM
You'd better start making sense before you're forced to log in as Dubazlar again.

Carnage
Sat, 08-04-2007, 09:22 AM
But when you say its a shitty processor ( 2 GHz w/ 4 mb cache) for a laptop, its not an opinion anymore, its just trolling. For what I have to say, its a pretty good deal. Though if I ever get a laptop, I would get a hp: link (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=landing&landing=notebooks&jumpid=re_R602_prodexp/hpcom/psg/notebooks)

Animeniax
Sat, 08-04-2007, 09:27 AM
I used to work at a Best Buy and would recommend no one buy HP laptops. Highest rate of return among all makers.

SK might have mistaken it for a desktop like ?igma and I did. As soon as I realized it was a laptop, the T7300 is a solid laptop CPU, and you could say SK wasn't trolling.

?igma
Sat, 08-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Of course he was, there's a clear line between trolling and giving an opinion.

The first is, as you so gently put it, not making sense, but still trying to hurt someones feelings, the second is an argumentation based opinion.

Oh now I get it, you thought I was directing it to you, animeniax. I meant that it's easy for someone to just jump in a thread call everyone assholes and move out again. That's trolling.

mage
Sat, 08-04-2007, 12:18 PM
We have an entire section on the forums for flaming others now. Stop doing it here.
Warned

dell makes good laptops, that's about it.

Board of Command
Sat, 08-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Someone is mad they didn't get 800+ RAM.
What are you talking about? DDR2-667 is just fine for that CPU. There's absolutely no reason to pay a huge premium for DDR2-800 laptop memory.

Necromas
Sat, 08-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks to most of you for... trying to keep things civil, but I guess I'm reminded of why I usually stick to the fansub posts here.

I expected negative criticism of course, but something like "Oh, you could have done this you know and saved some money." or "You know I've had bad experiences with Dell." But the topic has already degraded to someone making a 4 word troll post, and of course I was baited into responding to it with a flame, and now that seems to be the new topic of this thread.

I guess what I want to say is I'm sick of all the hate always flying around in so many forums, so I'm just gonna say screw you guys and stick to making occasional posts in naruto episode threads. At least I know there are some nice forums still out there.

And no, I'm not trying to act all high and mighty, I was dumb enough to make a post as stupid as the one I was responding to.

SK
Sat, 08-04-2007, 04:58 PM
SK might have mistaken it for a desktop like ?igma and I did. As soon as I realized it was a laptop, the T7300 is a solid laptop CPU, and you could say SK wasn't trolling.

I assumed desktop. Oops.

itadakimasu
Sat, 08-04-2007, 06:31 PM
anyhow, dell jacks up ram.... some cmoputers they bought where im working at... they payed out $150 each to upgrade the computers to 2 gb of ram... same ram that zipzoomfly had on sale for $67 about a month ago.

anyhow, the way i look at it. That is a great computer. its got ten times the power of anything you could have put together for $1300 a few years ago and really is all you could need for most tasks/gaming. (might need more hdd space eventually)

Assertn
Sat, 08-04-2007, 07:27 PM
I assumed desktop. Oops.
:smacks forehead:

Animeniax
Sat, 08-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks to most of you for... trying to keep things civil, but I guess I'm reminded of why I usually stick to the fansub posts here.

I guess what I want to say is I'm sick of all the hate always flying around in so many forums, so I'm just gonna say screw you guys and stick to making occasional posts in naruto episode threads. At least I know there are some nice forums still out there.

And no, I'm not trying to act all high and mighty, I was dumb enough to make a post as stupid as the one I was responding to.
You'll be missed, to be sure.

I assumed desktop. Oops.Yeah me and $igma too.

I worked for a company that used Dell Latitudes and we had lots of problems with them, build quality being one of the major concerns. Inspirons look a little sturdier, but being a home model, I wonder about it.

Board of Command
Sat, 08-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Ironic, because the Latitude line is the business class and are supposed to be much better than the Inspirons. I have an Inspiron 640m and a classmate has a Latitude D620 (I think). The difference in build quality is huge.

Animeniax
Sat, 08-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeah, but unfortunately that's how Dell operates and they're still one of the top PC vendors because people are suckers. I suppose they figure a business user will take better care of their company equipment, so they use cheap panels and substandard parts to manufacture the Latitudes, then take care of it on the back-end by replacing parts under warranty. At work I had so many latitudes where it was basically a new machine because absolutely everything had been replaced under warranty. Plus Dell had that issue with the USB ports not providing enough juice to power USB-bus-powered equipment. That might have been a problem on the Inspirons too though.

Assertn
Sun, 08-05-2007, 04:01 AM
Well, actually Dell operates on a very low-overhead between the factories to the end consumer. I forget the details, but its a business model that allows them to cut a lot of typical manufacturing expenses.

This is what allows them to sell their products at practically the same price as if you built one from scratch.

?igma
Sun, 08-05-2007, 04:33 AM
Dell has been making immense losses over the last 2 years. What started out as a booming bussiness, a market unexplored and swiftly conquered, they reached their top about 2 or 3 years ago. The market didn't expand anymore, people are said to have become smarter ( although I doubt it ), but especially the experience people have with Dell is one of the main factors their bussiness is no longer top of the line.

As I've said a couple of times, I've seen some early Dell PC's on the inside. Actually having some of the hardware burned into the case was one of the normal things you'd come across. Also the so called help desk is one of their budget cutting factors.

Their helpdesk is effectively counter-acting the production efficiency Dell has. As Ass said, they don't sell in stores, so they remove that part from the chain and add it to the budget. They also only manufactor the PC when the order is made, not long before. (on demand)

Over the past years Dell had to expand its helpdesk (and thus employees) and salery is the single largest cost in any company ( except goldfarmers, or childlabor ), because the issues people had were not addressed quick enough. Not to mention, and people that sent their dell pc back to dell know this, they were severely undermanned and it could take several weeks up to monthsb efore the PC would be returned. Which didn't bring them much goodwill.

I believe Dells objective is to have a leading position on the market by a fair percentage, because of their "cheaper" chain, they should be able to produce far more and be attractive to alot of companies, but since 2007 it's placed second, HP being first. And HP is still one of the old system.

Personally I'd say the horrible quality of the hardware inside the Dell PC must've costed them some customers as well, but who knows.