PDA

View Full Version : TV: CSI - Crime Scene Investigation

Munsu
Sat, 07-21-2007, 03:46 PM
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8381/ashotfromcbsscsion3.jpg

Well for the last month or so I've been watching CSI, and what an amazing series it has been. The series has not shown any signs of slowing down, with the last season being one of the best.

Grissom has to be one of my favorite characters I've ever seen on any show. In one episode he was shown to be very accurate with a gun... I wish he would've used it a couple of times. Other than Grissom, I love Heather the Dominatrix, awesome character.

As for the last episode, it left us on a cliffhanger... it was one of the best if not the best episode of CSI to date. Can't wait for the premiere.

CSI is an innovative, new type of crime drama because the characters use cutting-edge forensic tools to examine the evidence to solve the case. Rather than a 'whodunnit' cop show (investigating witnesses/suspects), CSI explores the 'howdunnit'. CSI has been the number one scripted series in the Neilsen ratings for four years running. CSI is now in its 7th amazing season.

Anyways, this thread is to discuss the original CSI series... if you want to discuss any of the other CSI series, go and create a thread for them.

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 07-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Sara annoys me, I hope that car is still slowly crushing her to death. Her one-liners are horrible, I can't think of specifics but she just says the dumbest shit.

The series is kinda hit or miss with me, though I've watched all seasons. I've enjoyed everything dealing with the Miniature Killer storyline but it seems like they get kinda lazy on the side stories, except for when Greg ran over that black guy. I felt for the little guy, trying to defend himself like that. But anyway the whole season could have dealt with the MK and Greg storylines.

You hear that, CSI people? You don't need to have that many episodes in one season. You are not 24.

Munsu
Sun, 10-21-2007, 02:31 AM
Just watched the first four episodes of season 8:

Sadly Sara doesn't die... but there's some good news, it seems that this will be her final year. In fact, it seems that she won't come back after this November. Here's the news story on her departure: http://www.tv.com/story/10321.html
There are some other reports that say that she will return or something, I really hope not, but with Grissom asking her to marry him and all, it seems very plausible. Hopefully it'll be in a limited role.

Also, I haven't seen any real hints on what chain of crimes will be the main focus of the season. Maybe it'll have something to do with the bees found on episode 3 or that bum that died on episode 3, any of you have any ideas?

Edit:

Well, I don't know if any of you guys watched the season finale a couple months ago, but it was great.

It was about time that someone of meaning got killed in the show... no one really has since the first episode of the whole series. Because of a drug problem Dourdan was going to get the boot off the show, but even with some expectation of his character Warrick being written off, it really caught me by surprise how the episode ended with the under sheriff and all. I thought it was brilliant how it played out.

Well, in other news, it looks like Grissom is not going to be around for much longer:

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/Csi-William-Petersen/800043218

William Petersen Plans to Exit CSI

I think I hear CSI fans everywhere screaming. We teased casting changes for the CBS drama in a recent Mega Minute, and alas, those changes include William Petersen, whose recently signed contract only guarantees his appearance until the upcoming season's 10th episode, a rep for CBS confirms, following a report from EW's Ausiello.

Petersen isn't gone for good, though. He will be staying on as an executive producer, and has agreed to make special appearances throughout the remaining run of the series. This marks the third original cast member to leave the show, following Jorja Fox and Gary Dourdan's departures last season.

Producers, however, promise a memorable exit for Grissom (including Fox's return next season for a multi-episode, Grissom-Sidle arc) and some exciting changes in the show's future. "We're out to add new characters to the show, and the show will change as a result," said exec producer Carol Mendehlson. "But that's a good thing."

So, how do you feel about Petersen's choice to become only a part-timer? — Adam Bryant

But don't fret much, because it looks like his character is going to have an awesome replacement:

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/Csi-Replace-Grissom/800043449

CSI: Who Should Replace Grissom?

At Friday's executive session, Nina Tassler, president of CBS Entertainment, announced a new character on CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.

Tassler's description of the character, who will replace the departing William Petersen, was interesting, to say the least. He's a doctor and scientist who comes into the CSI as an outsider; he won't start off as the boss. Here's the catch: He's a bit of a DNA expert, and has identified a common profile among serial killers — in his own genes! Sounds a little Dexter-y, no?

So, who do you think should play Dr. McSerialKiller? Tassler suggested they'd be looking for an actor of some stature to fill the role. My first thoughts: Oscar nominees Laurence Fishburne and David Strathairn (Good Night, and Good Luck), both of whom can convey steely resolve and menace with equal skill. — Mickey O'Connor

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/07/exclusive-csi-b.html

Exclusive: 'CSI' Boss Outlines Season of Change
Jul 15, 2008, 02:42 AM | by Michael Ausiello

Categories:

All together now, CSI fans: Breathe. Executive producer Carol Mendelsohn assures me that her team was anything but blindsided by the upcoming departure of William Petersen. "We do have a plan," she says. And that plan includes not only Grissom's sure-to-be-stellar swan song, but also the arrival of some new blood (one with funky DNA), the return of some old blood (welcome back, Jorja Fox!) and an episode that's been nearly nine years in the making. Here, Mendelsohn and fellow EP Naren Shankar offer an exclusive preview of what will go down when this sure-to-be-controversial season starts up.

* Jorja Fox will be back for "multiple" episodes, beginning with September's season premiere -- an hour that will also feature an appearance by Gary Dourdan's Warrick, who was seemingly shot to death in last May's finale. "We're not saying whether or not Warrick lives or dies," hedges Mendelsohn, "but we will say that the premiere may be the last time our loyal fans see the entire original CSI cast together."

* Previously-announced addition Lauren Lee Smith (The L Word) joins the cast in the third episode as new CSI Riley Adams. "She will come in to ostensibly replace Sara Sidle," says Mendelsohn. "She has a very distinct personality... a very wry sense of humor. She doesn't take herself too seriously." Adds Shankar: "This is a person who, unlike the rest of our gang, has not had Grissom as a mentor. So there's a very different relationship between Riley and Grissom."

* Another new CSI, this time a male, will be brought in later this fall, but "he will not appear on the landscape as a CSI to begin with," teases Mendelsohn. "He's a professor with background in pathology. He will appear when Grissom is investigating what will be a two-part case. He will help Grissom and the team bring the perpetrator to justice, and then this character will stay around and ultimately become a CSI." And although Mendelsohn says the new guy (who will possess a very rare genetic abnormality) will "not necessarily [replace Grissom as] supervisor," he'll inevitably be branded Petersen's replacement -- if for no other reason than the caliber of actor being sought for the role: Kurt Russell, Laurence Fishburne and John Malkovich are said to be at the top of CBS' wish list. Of the three, Mendelsohn would only confirm that Malkovich was approached, adding that "scheduling conflicts" had quickly taken him out of the running.

* Current cast members Liz Vassey (lab rat Wendy) and David Berman (coroner David) have been upped to full-fledged series regulars. Wallace Langham's Hodges, meanwhile, will become more prominent.

* Arguably the drama's most infamous serial menace to date, the Miniature Killer, "will come back for an episode," Mendelsohn reveals. "Grissom will cross paths with her."

* Finally, the show will celebrate its landmark 200th episode this spring with a blockbuster installment helmed once again by Petersen's good friend (and To Live and Die in L.A. director) William Friedkin. Is it fair to assume that this could be the episode in which Petersen debuts as a very special CSI guest star? "Billy will definitely be on the set for Mr. Friedkin's episode -- whether it's behind the camera or in front of the camera is TBD," Mendelsohn teases. "I don't think you'll be able to keep him away once he's back in L.A."

Wait, there's more -- but you have to pick up this week's issue of Entertainment Weekly to find out what other cool surprise CSI has in store for you this season. That's on sale this Friday, but there's plenty to do in the meantime. For starters, you could start filling up the comments section with your thoughts on CSI: TNG. Will these new characters fill the void left by Petersen, Fox and Dourdan? Can they? Are you sticking with CSI for the long haul? Or are you now thinking of playing the field Thursdays at 9? Discuss below!

TwisT
Sat, 07-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Damn this sound like it will be exiting as hell. To bad to hear about Grissom. For me he was CSI. He was the most important person and it's gonna be hard to see him get replaced. I even have my doubts about the future of the show without him. But then on the other hand it's such a strong show right now theres probably no stopping it.

Munsu
Tue, 08-26-2008, 06:11 AM
Well it's official now, who the new cast will be:

It's Official: Laurence Fishburne Joins 'CSI'
Aug 18, 2008, 12:08 PM | by Michael Ausiello

Categories: CSI

Talk about the worst-kept secret in the TV biz: More than a month after we first brought you news of the talks between Laurence Fishburne and CSI, CBS is now confirming that the Oscar-nominated actor is joining the cast this season as William Petersen's pseudo replacement.

Says CBS: "Fishburne will play a former pathologist who is now working as an itinerant college lecturer, teaching a course in criminalistics. His focus is on understanding criminal behavior, how and why people commit acts of violence -- tendencies he disturbingly sees within himself. In the course of a murder investigation, he comes into contact with the CSI team and ultimately joins the Las Vegas Crime Lab as a Level-1 CSI."

Says me: He's got some funky serial killer DNA!

"CBS asked us, 'Who's at the top of your dream list?' CSI executive producers Carol Mendelsohn and Naren Shankar said in a joint statement. "Without hesitation, we said Laurence Fishburne. He is a powerful and intense actor, with an incredible range....If you distill CSI down to its essence, it's a collaboration -- and we are so looking forward to collaborating with Mr. Fishburne. For all of us at CSI, this is truly a dream."

"I am elated and delighted to be joining the cast of CSI," said Fishburne. "I look forward to a wonderful collaboration with the creative and talented team of such a successful and distinguished show."

Fishburne will debut in this season's ninth episode, right around the time Petersen departs.

OK, the big question: Will Fishburne be able to fill Petersen's size 12s? Comment away! And then head over to Hollywood Insider to find out why Fishburne felt "stupid and embarrassed" when he was first approached to join the show.
http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/08/its-official-la.html

Promo for season 9:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fgczH_PEL8

Man, this looks fucking awesome.

Munsu
Tue, 01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Well just caught up to the latest episode of this season, episode 10. It's the end of an era, Grissom is gone.

With that said, this season started with a really good episode dealing with Warrick's death. Then Sarah came back, and she sucked as always. Then the Dominatrix showed up, and she was awesome (hopefully this isn't the last of her).

The final arc was a great one with the serial killer. Really enjoyed the scenes in the classroom. Don't know what to make of Fishburne's character. The way Grissom left CSI was pretty cool, and I admit it, I cried a bit when Catherine winked at him. The final scene sucked though... I hope Sarah dies or something.

TwisT
Wed, 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM
It is indeed an end of an era. I at first when we heard about Laurence Fishburne thought he was going to take over CSI as the new boss. But it sounded like he would get the lowest starting position from last episode. Somehow it sounds better. And it would be really unfair if Cathrine would have been walked all over as she should be the first one on the list for that position.

And it's funny how Sarah can annoy so much by just showing her face. She should die. Horribly. Painfully. Eaten by an alligator or tiger or whatever is in that forest. Ah the joy it would bring.