PDA

View Full Version : Firefox wont open any pages

itadakimasu
Sat, 07-21-2007, 10:39 AM
ok, all of a sudden firefox will not work and wont bring up any pages. i didn't touch any settings with it or anything and am being forced to use ie7 :( anybody else have similar problems with firefox?

Animeniax
Sat, 07-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Might have been the update to 2.0.0.5. When my install auto-updated to this new version, it reset everything including my proxy settings. If you're on a company network, check proxy and connection settings.

Board of Command
Sat, 07-21-2007, 06:17 PM
You tried reinstalling Firefox?

If that doesn't work, then... stop touching yourself at night.

itadakimasu
Sun, 07-22-2007, 12:47 AM
uninstall, reinstall... it doesn't work.

i would do sys restore but last time i tried it said it couldn't restore... i'm pretty mad about this, ie sucks but if it is all i have to get on the internet i will have to make due

edit: wasted a good 20 minutes following instructions from firefox support forums... none of it worked... uninstalled firefox, reinstalled it.. nothing.... OMFG

Animeniax
Sun, 07-22-2007, 02:44 AM
Please don't tell me you do IT support for a living.

Did you check proxy/connection settings like I suggested? Reinstalling won't help if your settings are all wrong.

itadakimasu
Sun, 07-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Please don't tell me you do IT support for a living.

Did you check proxy/connection settings like I suggested? Reinstalling won't help if your settings are all wrong.

Well, i dont see proxy settings at all in the firefox options. it shouldn't update automatically for one, if its working fine. i just changed the proxy settings from direct connect to auto detect proxy settings, and neither works. I did not have anything set up there previously so to me there is no reason why it should not be working.

I deleted the entire firefox directory and reinstalled and still trash, it seems absurd that i would need to do anything further just to get it to work. The people on the firefox forums ahve these instructions for fixing this and they talk in a tone as if you're retarded if you hvaen't followed their steps to fix it, i followed all of them and it still does not work. I dont have a firewall running to block firefox so... wtf

Animeniax
Sun, 07-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Firefox auto-installs updates (it's a default setting to check for updates on it's own). Mine went to 2.0.0.5 and changed everything to default settings, including homepage and proxy settings.

itadakimasu
Mon, 07-23-2007, 10:10 PM
proxy settings ... there are only 3, direct connect to internet, auto config, and manual config. if i didn't have them manuallly configged before it should work with them as auto.. but it doesn't ... nor as direct connect...

this is seriously mind boggling to me.. and yes i do work tech support lol but this is just bullshit, my computer just decided it did not like firefox... every other computer i have seen w\ 2.0.0.5 works fine... just not mine

masamuneehs
Mon, 07-23-2007, 10:56 PM
switch to another browser (Opera), wait for another Firefox upgrade, hope that one does it...

complich8
Tue, 07-24-2007, 05:27 PM
back up bookmarks.html (bookmarks->organize->file->export), nuke firefox user profile (%appdata%\mozilla\firefox\Profiles\*), reinstall firefox, redo settings, restore bookmarks.html (bookmarks->organize->file->import).

9 times out of 10, firefox problems are caused by user profile corruption.