PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Naruto pays tribute to Cowboy Bebop

Terracosmo
Thu, 05-05-2005, 06:32 PM
http://f-ram.net/blaze/neji.jpg

Hoho! Easter-eggs i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Y
Thu, 05-05-2005, 06:34 PM
That's a pretty odd parallel. I wonder if the choreography match was intentional, because those are pretty generic moves.

Terracosmo
Thu, 05-05-2005, 06:36 PM
They are, but it's too similar (camera-wise as well) to be a coincidence. I think it's a homage.

Y
Thu, 05-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Yeah, after looking at the first pic again, it's literally the exact same.

Mut
Thu, 05-05-2005, 07:04 PM
That short fight between Spike and Vincent was sooo much better than any fight in Naruto.

Astronopolis
Thu, 05-05-2005, 07:29 PM
did that guy die? i havent seen him in a while. if he did, how did he die? (im referring to the one fighting naruto btw)

Terracosmo
Thu, 05-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Neji is invincible.

And how fitting it is that my post 4000 states just that. I rock!

Astronopolis
Thu, 05-05-2005, 07:40 PM
hey im indirectly responsible for that!

lol and yay 20 posts

SK
Thu, 05-05-2005, 07:43 PM
lol thats cool. cowboy bebop is the shit. an anime's movie that was actually GOOD.

XanBcoo
Thu, 05-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Could it be that the animators are basing the moves on an actual fighting style that, coincidentally, was used by both bebop and Naruto for these specific fights?
It's prolly just an homage though. Very cool

Crows_Kill
Fri, 05-06-2005, 12:00 AM
The bepop movie came out before the naruto episode, so i dont think that was a coincidence. narutos creators have said before they draw inspiration form alot of other anime and manga sources, in other words they rip off the best ideas from other shows.
But seriously, it wouldnt be the first time a show or movie has almost scene for scene "borowed" a sequence or scene. I remember seeing a scene by scene comparison of the original matrix and dark city on the net a couple of years ago and the similarity was too obvious to be anything but a direct ripp off. And it goes back as long as movies and tv have existed. Just look at all the westerns "inspired" by samurai movies, or comparisons between the flintstones and the honey mooners even. Its an entertainment business tradition.

XanBcoo
Fri, 05-06-2005, 12:21 AM
very true...
"nothing is original" I guess.
But why such a random fight scene? Do you think this has happened for every fight? Or even a few? That would be cool to see some more ripped fights like this from other animes.

Jman
Fri, 05-06-2005, 01:02 AM
that shit is HOT. Nice find

GhostKaGe
Fri, 05-06-2005, 03:49 AM
thats some freeky shit

just a thought but where those 2 episodes done by the same studio

?igma
Fri, 05-06-2005, 03:53 AM
I think you can basically get this out of the great anime book for drawers . Most likely a ready and done example page of a smooth fight. You have to remember they do not have the time to think up new moves every week.

Knives122
Fri, 05-06-2005, 04:39 AM
thats actually pretty cool, and although seeing someone as cool as Vincent being replaced by Naruto is making me cringe right now, it's still cool that Spike is replaced with Neji i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

so its all good

cybercoin
Fri, 05-06-2005, 05:25 AM
THIEVES!! XD

Psyke
Fri, 05-06-2005, 10:44 AM
The first person to have noticed it must either have a sharingan or have devoted his entire life to watching anime over and over again.....

Cool find.

Werder
Fri, 05-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by: Crows_Kill
... Just look at all the westerns "inspired" by samurai movies, or comparisons between the flintstones and the honey mooners even. Its an entertainment business tradition.

I'd just like to add that it went like this - Kurosawa was inspired by the westerns to make samurai movies and then they in turn inspired more westerns. Ain't it great! (and Seven Samurai is number four in the IMDb's top films list!)

I reckon the Neji/Naru fight is a homage, because its nicer to think that way plus homages are common enough themselves.

Assertn
Fri, 05-06-2005, 12:26 PM
"good artists borrow....great artists steal"

Jaredster
Fri, 05-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Nice find. But it is cool and slightly pathetic at the same time that someone found those scenes.

Crows_Kill
Sat, 05-07-2005, 02:13 AM
This seems like a great moment for a family guy quote'
"Our favorite pastime is watching old movies to see if they sync up in any meaningful way to the eagles album 'hotel california'. We've been doing it for the past 20 years."

"Any luck yet?"

"No....."

Ioz
Sat, 05-07-2005, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by: Mut@t@
That short fight between Spike and Vincent was sooo much better than any fight in Naruto.

True dat.

ody
Mon, 06-04-2007, 07:54 PM
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/9256/negidoesspike2nr1.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Genma
Mon, 06-04-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure which came first, but I'm guessing CB.

I was never really a fan of Neji vs Naruto's fight anyway, but Vincent vs. Spike was pure badass.

Yukimura
Mon, 06-04-2007, 09:27 PM
a) that was years ago, b) no one cares, c) I'm not going to say get a life, but do something more entertaining with your time than look this crap up (or make this, which I doubt you did, but it's possible).

Carnage
Mon, 06-04-2007, 10:11 PM
For some reason I think a thread has already been made about this.....

KCMmmmm
Mon, 06-04-2007, 10:27 PM
I saw this on ytmnd.com at least a year ago. So it isn't ne at all, but it's still a bit distressing. Maybe that's why they had to get a new narrator around the time of the Sasuke vs Naruto fight. Anyone ever notice the severe drop in visual quality there? It's still not as good as it once was.

saman
Mon, 06-04-2007, 10:48 PM
i think i read somewhere that the naruto scene was a tribute to the cowboy bebop one. not sure where...

Animeniax
Mon, 06-04-2007, 10:56 PM
There're no clones in the Bebop version, so I can't see the resemblance. Bebop sucked anyways.

Augury
Mon, 06-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Probably here, in this thread (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=10214). Unfortunately the original picture that Terra linked to is long gone, but it showed a lot more of the fight was parallel than what ody has posted.

ody
Tue, 06-05-2007, 01:04 AM
a) that was years ago, b) no one cares, c) I'm not going to say get a life, but do something more entertaining with your time than look this crap up (or make this, which I doubt you did, but it's possible).

The fatass nerd watching 20 animes at the same time is telling me to get a life? ROFL.

I found this on another forum I frequent, Bodybuilding.com, which I'm sure you have never lifted a weight in your life and decided to post this GIF here.

masamuneehs
Tue, 06-05-2007, 01:38 AM
i found this interesting. i'd not seen it, since i'm not all that old on this forum...

fuckin figures that this 'tribute' or 'copying' or whatever would go on... in the world of sequels, prequels and all other money making exploits that leech off of previous successes, i can imagine that a good show like Bebop (Animeniax, once again you prove to suck balls. Your opinion sans reasoning fails for the infinite time) would be copied, but i didn't notice the parallel until i saw this.

ody
Tue, 06-05-2007, 01:40 AM
Apparently Bleach and Naruto have the same scene (I think); I think right before the filler ends in Bleach, Ichigo is fighting someone by a big waterfall and it's supposed to be a mirror image of Sasuke vs. Naruto @ the waterfall.

Yukimura
Tue, 06-05-2007, 02:01 AM
@ody If you read the post you'd see I specifically didn't say get a life, I said do something more entertaining with your time, to which I should have added, if your going to bother showcasing it to the rest of us. I'd rather watch paint dry then see some old footage of similarities between two fight sequences in an anime. Especially since the similarities you mentioned were discussed at length back when that episode of Naruto had first aired. Something that might be entertaining would be you making some progress towards forming complete sentences.

Here's how your post should have looked if you wanted to talk trash:

I found this on another forum I frequent, bodybuilding.com, and decided to post it here. I'm sure Yukimura has never lifted a weight in his life since he's a fat-ass nerd who watches 24 anime at the same time.

While I'm on the subject of trash talk, yours isn't particularly effective. It focuses on pointing out to everyone else that I might not behave in a manner which you imply that I, and implicitly everyone else you want to agree with you, should. If your opinion of what I should be doing meant anything to me then you might have a point. However I couldn't care less how many training programs or diet regimens you might have gleaned from bodybuilding.com while I was watching anime. I enjoy doing what I do and I hope you were enjoying doing what you were doing.

Animeniax
Tue, 06-05-2007, 02:59 AM
@masa: my point was to ridicule ody's post, not to explain why Bebop sux. There aren't any Bebop threads around, so if I used this thread to explain further why it sux, you'd use it as an excuse to warn me for going off topic.

Bodybuilding.com's basic regimen for success is:
1. take steroid
2. take 2nd type of steroid
3. take 3rd type of steroid so you don't die from the first two types
So congrats on frequenting that site, ody.

Stands to reason that fight sequences are copied. Saves time and money. Plus when I see a cool fight sequence, I always ask myself, how would that look if it was this guy vs this guy instead.

Kraco
Tue, 06-05-2007, 03:21 AM
I don't see anything really spectacular happening during that clip, so it's hard to believe they would have copied it to save their own efforts. The people directing and drawing Naruto at that point surely weren't any noobs that couldn't have designed a generic fist fight of their own. In that sense a tribute sounds far more likely to me. Plus what Animeniax said about what a certain fight would look like with different characters. The director and drawers are also human, after all.

Many people just tend to initially think negatively of everything, and go: "Damn, they are bloody copying Bebop. Outrageous!" instead of: "Hmm... I think I recognized that sequence... Oh, yes, they must have purposefully made it similar to Bebop. Funny."

Well, negative feelings feed some people better than positive, so in that sense nobody's right and everybody's right when watching anime (or any other art).

XanBcoo
Tue, 06-05-2007, 03:46 AM
Huh, how bizarre. I was actually using bodybuilding.com's forums last night. It's actually a really good site since everyone there has different methods of exercising, so there's a lot of good input, especially about proper Nutrition.

Small world, I guess. Or...small internet...whatever.

On topic: That thing is as old as the internet. No need to jump on ody though, just 'cause he's never seen it before.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 06-05-2007, 05:13 AM
Please avoid going completely off-topic like this in the future.

masa

Hahahahahahahaha...

...bodybuilding.

That's good stuff.

animus
Tue, 06-05-2007, 07:03 AM
When I first saw Neji using his fists like that I thought it was weird because it didn't have his usual Jyuuken finesse.

Nyberg
Tue, 06-05-2007, 08:57 AM
When I first saw Neji using his fists like that I thought it was weird because it didn't have his usual Jyuuken finesse.

Because we had a fist fuck orgy just before the fight.

Board of Command
Tue, 06-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Because we had a fist fuck orgy just before the fight.
Good stuff. Good stuff.

/applause

Assertn
Tue, 06-05-2007, 10:56 AM
http://www.catsuka.com/maggiori.php

Guh....i remember finding a site that lists tons of copied angles, fight scenes, gestures, etc. involving Naruto, Bleach, and a bunch of other shows.....but I can't remember where I found it.

This is nothing new, neither to Naruto nor to Anime as an entirety. All the studios mutually finds ways to stretch their yen.

itadakimasu
Tue, 06-05-2007, 12:59 PM
There're no clones in the Bebop version, so I can't see the resemblance. Bebop sucked anyways.

Cowboy Bebop is one of the most classic series' ever made. Naruto is better in certain ways but in others Bebop is better. Some 26 ep anime series' just have more charm than a 200+ ep series even if i love em.

Animeniax
Tue, 06-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Some people say "tomato", others say "tomato". I didn't like the animation or the plot of Bebop. Might have had a little to do with the voice actors for the dub too.

Either way, that's not the point of this thread. Naruto is not the be-all-end-all anime either, but it has it's good moments, like when Naruto beat his opponent by farting. And when they paid homage to a "classic", even if it's in a subtle and undeclared manner. They never figured some nerdlinger would actually spot their tribute. They must be very happy that one did, so their efforts were not in vain.

Genma
Wed, 06-06-2007, 01:23 AM
And when they paid homage to a "classic", even if it's in a subtle and undeclared manner. They never figured some nerdlinger would actually spot their tribute.

I personally don't think it's a homage to CB. If anything, it's a blatant rip-off from a good battle scene that was used for filler in the battle between Nejii and Naruto. They probably took the layout of the animation and scribbled right over it, rather than plan out an entirely new fight.

Just because you don't like CB doesn't justify the fact that the Naruto anime team stole a battle scene.

Animeniax
Wed, 06-06-2007, 01:33 AM
We should take a poll to see who thinks it was in homage and who thinks it was a rip-off, ie. who are the optimists and who are the scumbags.

Board of Command
Wed, 06-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Or option 3: it was merely a coincidence.

redcat
Wed, 06-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Or option 3: it was merely a coincidence.
yeah that way we can add retards to the list. segregation ftw.

cugginenter
Wed, 06-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Some people say "tomato", others say "tomato". I didn't like the animation or the plot of Bebop. Might have had a little to do with the voice actors for the dub too.

Cowboy Bebop had a plot? That's news to me.

Either way, that's not the point of this thread. Naruto is not the be-all-end-all anime either, but it has it's good moments, like when Naruto beat his opponent by farting. And when they paid homage to a "classic", even if it's in a subtle and undeclared manner. They never figured some nerdlinger would actually spot their tribute. They must be very happy that one did, so their efforts were not in vain.

I don't see the point of these comments. If Naruto is not the "be-all-end-all anime" in your opinion, then say what you think is. And who cares if they paid homage to the most overrated anime ever?

Assassin
Wed, 06-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Thats enough off topic bickering.

mafrek
Sun, 07-15-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure why that thread was locked but when I saw that a long time ago, I showed it to a friend of mine and it turns out that both anime copied those moves. It's a borrowed scene from Bruce Lee, from one of his movies. I don't know which. Just wanted to let anyone who still cares know. And if this is considered a repeat topic or whatever, then sorry.

Yes it was locked, due to off-topicness and a sharp decline in relevance, accompanied by a swift increase in idiocy. Your post has been merged with the thread in question and it is now re-opened on my optimistic hopes that people can actually conduct themselves like decent human beings this time around...

Mizuchi
Sat, 07-21-2007, 04:44 PM
The key animator for bebop and naruto are the same person, so its not really stealing, just someone reusing old work.

RasenDori
Sun, 07-22-2007, 11:20 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscope

its rotoscoping. a very common animation trick, and since naruto is like all anime is a show that airs every week when animations typically take months to make, i dont blame them for using it. im sure that it wasnt, but the proper steps where taken to roto the footage legally. mizuchi was pointed out that the key animators where the same for both productions, but not only that its even possible that the original bebop footage was probably rotoed off of live action footage, studios including classic deisney did it all the time. its no different then the motion capture thats used in 3d animation today.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-23-2007, 06:53 AM
That sounds like one of those made up words that will get over-used and forgotten, like sympatico and emo.

I'm not sure it even applies in this case. Both Naruto and Bebop scenes may be rotoscopes of some Bruce Lee movie footage, but when one copies the other like Naruto copied Bebop, it's straight bamboozling.

Yukimura
Mon, 07-23-2007, 09:56 PM
There's no realistic way to tell if the Naruto scene was taken from Bebop or taken directly from the live action anyway, unless you go and ask the guy.

unholydoragon
Tue, 07-24-2007, 03:08 AM
error not found?

RasenDori
Tue, 07-24-2007, 07:47 AM
There's no realistic way to tell if the Naruto scene was taken from Bebop or taken directly from the live action anyway, unless you go and ask the guy.

its actually really easy to spot a rotoed scene. they all have a fluidity thats nearly impossible to achieve when animating by hand. those silhouette scenes in the last naruto opening was all rotoscoped. im pretty sure the bebop scene was too. lots of fight scenes that complex are rotoed because of the difficulty of animated two characters interacting.

Animeniax
Tue, 07-24-2007, 07:59 AM
How difficult can it be to draw two characters interacting? I've made flip-book animations with two stick figures fighting and it came out pretty good. Now just flesh out the stick figures and you have your complex fight scene. There's no excuse to copy animation scenes. It's either laziness or in tribute.

RasenDori
Tue, 07-24-2007, 11:44 AM
seriously, you did NOT just compare a stick-man flip book to an actual production animation. theres A LOT more to it then you comprehend if you are making such a vague connection. a fight scene of that complexity has to be choreographed and have a detailed storyboard before production of it begins or things will go awry very quickly with extremely bad timing issues. just 2 seconds of animation is a hell of a lot of work. ive slaved many months producing animation for my classes that are barely 2 minutes long. rotoscoping is used to make an otherwise messy, long and difficult process clean, quick and simple.

if you still think thats is not difficult produce a fleshed out fight scene with REAL characters and let me know if you feel the same way. until then youve lost all credit in criticizing animation.

the fact that those scenes are exact duplicates is proof enough that the footage was acquired legally either through gaining the rights to the bebop scene or using the same stock footage to roto which is the most likely case because im sure the bebop team didnt want to go through the long process of animating that shot without rotoing.its not laziness. its efficiency. and you cant be an immensely popular show and get away with stealing footage.

Animeniax
Tue, 07-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Whoa, ease up bessie. I was just kidding. I have nothing but respect for well done animation and the effort and skill it takes to produce. Sorry it's hard to tell I was joking, but I was.

Rotoscoping or otherwise, it's a pretty cool scene.