PDA

View Full Version : Double posting problem

Idealistic
Fri, 07-13-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but since we're so strict about double posting, why not have a timer before you can post again? Say 10-15 seconds?

complich8
Fri, 07-13-2007, 11:55 PM
There's already a 30 second "floodcheck" interval in place. Feel free to use this thread to test the fact...

Munsu
Sat, 07-14-2007, 12:48 AM
There's already a 30 second "floodcheck" interval in place. Feel free to use this thread to test the fact...
I think the only thing that bypasses that is when you think you timed-out, and hit the post botton once again, essentially posting the same post twice. But those types of occurrances you don't really have to worry about, some mod will find it and simply delete the duplicate.

Spiegel
Sat, 07-14-2007, 12:52 AM
I think the only thing that bypasses that is when you think you timed-out, and hit the post botton once again, essentially posting the same post twice. But those types of occurrances you don't really have to worry about, some mode will find it and simply delete the duplicate.

That is a rare thing, I believe i have done it once before though...

complich8
Sat, 07-14-2007, 01:19 AM
yeah, sometimes that happens. The post times are exactly the same, to within a second (the resolution limit of a timestamp field).

In such situations, I think there's usually a certain degree of understanding from the staff when that happens.

I've entertained the thought of changing the setting that determines whether you can delete your own posts. The thing is, I don't want to extend that option forever, so I'd want a timeout on that ... say 2 hours or something. But the same setting that controls that controls how long you can edit your own posts, too... so if I make you able to delete your own posts within a certain time, you can no longer edit them after that time either.

I've definitely got mixed feelings about that one... so I've stuck with the status-quo for the time being. I don't see the double-posting thing as being a particularly big problem...

Munsu
Sat, 07-14-2007, 02:37 AM
I don't like that idea. It's not much to ask of the mods to take care of deleting one or two episodes every few days.