PDA

View Full Version : The translation thread

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 06-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Started this thread for anyone who has requests or needs support writing certain words or lines with the proper grammar in Japanese...

I made up a sentence with the help of an online dictionairy "Kuro-Joutei korosu tomo ada.".
Now my question is if this sentence is grammaticly correct, or anyone has a better structure of words I could use? Basically what I'm trying to write is "The Dark-Lord kills all enemies.". Anyone? :D

darkshadow
Tue, 06-19-2007, 04:59 PM
My japanese is very limited, but i would translate it as , "kuro-kou koroshi wa subete no teki"
It's probably horribly wrong though.

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 06-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Hehe, I really can't tell if it's wrong or right, if the words all together form a good sentence... Don't know anything about Romaji and its grammar.
I did look it up with the dictionary and a couple of words I can't place... Like Kou and Wa and No... Maybe if you'd explain to me??? :D

darkshadow
Tue, 06-19-2007, 08:13 PM
you used the word for a god kind of lord, -kou is a suffix for a lord or leader or whatever.

bagandscalpel
Tue, 06-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Started this thread for anyone who has requests or needs support writing certain words or lines with the proper grammar in Japanese...
Well, since you proffered such a thread (and since it's fresh)...

To appease my inner fanboy, of sorts, I need to ask, falling short of asking a person knowledgeable in japanese and the like, is there some source out there I can use to teach myself the PRONUNCIATION of kanji characters, specifically?

Winged Dancer
Wed, 06-20-2007, 12:05 AM
I can! I think I can :p

And as for the "The Dark Lord kills all his enemies," I wouldn't use -kou. Sure, it can be used as a suffix, but it's not exactly common not elegant, and it's more of a duke of prince of sorts.... I'd simply use "Ou," king, soverign or Lord.
Now, Dark.... Yeah, literally, it'd be "Kuro," but that's more of a color and not a quality. How about Darkness? Kura-yami?
暗闇の王は全ての敵を殺すのだ。
Kurayami no Ou wa subete no teki wo korosu no da.
"The Lord of Darkness kills all his enemies."
Chose the "no da" ending 'cause its masculine and somewhat elegant....

darkshadow
Wed, 06-20-2007, 12:31 AM
i forgot all about Ou, yeah thats pretty much perfect.

XanBcoo
Wed, 06-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Well, since you proffered such a thread (and since it's fresh)...

To appease my inner fanboy, of sorts, I need to ask, falling short of asking a person knowledgeable in japanese and the like, is there some source out there I can use to teach myself the PRONUNCIATION of kanji characters, specifically?
I'd just say "go buy a dictionary" because, like Chinese, it probably involves a lot of memorization. I know that there are some native Japanese speakers who even have trouble remembering Kanji, which is why Kanji characters are also listed with small Hirigana and Katakana next to them, to make sure everyone is able to read them.

I think learning pronunciations of Kanji would be infinitely more difficult as a side project than, say, learning to read Hirigana or Katakana first.

Killa-Eyez
Wed, 06-20-2007, 08:04 AM
http://www.freedict.com/onldict/jap.html

Maybe it's a bogus dictionary but I looked up a couple of words...
Really can't seem to find the same meaning of words you're implying... :(

But about mine sentence? Was in a somewhat good direction? Or was I totally off here? Have absolutely no clue... :)

Winged Dancer
Wed, 06-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Sorry, but your original sentence was mainly a lot of WTF.
Here's what you wrote, right? "Kuro-Joutei korosu tomo ada"
I would translate that as "The black lord from heaven gift kills the attendants in disservice."
Or maybe "The black gift sternly kills all, impossible."

"Joutei" is not a fm exactly used everyday, in fact I had to go to a Japanese encyclopedia to discover what the hell it was. As for "Kuro", I said it before - it related more to the color black than to the idea of darkness.
"Tomo," used as a suffixs, means "many" or "together", but not all. And "ada" means "disservie" or something along those lines.

Moral of the story: don't use online dictionaries, they suck and are unabe to respect grammar.

Killa-Eyez
Wed, 06-20-2007, 01:55 PM
'Kay, lesson learned. :)

TruthofMistake
Fri, 07-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Til å være eller ikke til å være. ..that er spørsmålet. - Tilfeldig Sitat Fanatiker

Well, someone sent me this message a while back, and while I am pretty sure it is in either Swedish, Norwegian, or Danish I have been unable to find out what it means. Help?

Xrlderek
Fri, 07-13-2007, 09:10 AM
To be, or not to be: that is the question - Random quote, fanatic
It's Norwegian.

TruthofMistake
Fri, 07-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Strange, I wonder why it was sent to me then. I have no idea who it was. Damn Facebook and it's honesty box application >.<. Thanks so much for your help though! =)

Ryllharu
Fri, 07-13-2007, 09:50 AM
As best as the online translators can mangle it, I'm almost positive it's a quote from Hamlet. Thanks for the fun diversion.

To be or not to be, that is the question. - Accidental Citation Addict

Though, maybe you prefer this version:

"At to be or no matter at to be. that am prompt. Accidental Citation Addict"

masamuneehs
Fri, 07-13-2007, 10:02 AM
yes, it's Hamlet... I mean, that's probably the most well-known line of Shakespeare ever...

also, merged this thread with another, so bring all your translation worries here.

Yesterday I became very annoyed because I found one of the major differences between Spanish and Italian. Although alot of it is similar, one thing is annoyingly different, how you structure questions...

In English, you can say:
"Is the table wide?" Or (at least in conversation) "The table is wide?"
I mean, people use the latter form alll the time, with intonation making the only difference between a statement and question...
but we also have modifiers like 'Do' or 'Can' that are often used to help make a question:
"Do you know that vacation starts tomorrow?'

And, in Italian, you very often structure the question the same as a statement, but using different intonation...
"La tavola e stretta?" "Sai che domani comincia la vacanca?"
but there are no informal modifiers like 'Do'...

But in Spanish, much to my anguish, it's supposed to be structured like:
"Es estrecha la mesa?" ...ergh...

Animeniax
Fri, 07-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Cool thread. Wouldn't the proper sentence structure in Japanese be "All enemies the Dark Lord kills"?

No shows ownership: so Joe no kage means "Joe's shadow" (or something like that)

Wa means is/am

Check out http://www.yesjapan.com/dictionary/ for another useful dictionary.

SK
Fri, 07-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Yes its famous for being from Hamlet but it was actually Plato who first wrote that.

Killa-Eyez
Fri, 12-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Uuhm, if you guys got any Dutch requests... :p

Killa-Eyez
Mon, 04-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Sorry about the doublepost but this way I bump the thread.

On to my request, I'm trying to type the line they say in anime just before an episode starts after the opening. Something about thanking or trying to find sponsors.
I only know how to type Romaji so this is what I came up with:

Kodobane Kimi Wa, Grando Sponsor No Teki Ode Okorre Shimasu.

If anyone knows how to write this in Romaji and in Kanji and what it's meaning is I'd appreciate it. :)

Animeniax
Mon, 04-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Oh wow I've always wondered what they were saying too. I could tell it was thanking the sponsors, but couldn't figured out what they were saying or what it meant exactly.

I think it's closer to "kono ban mini wa... [list of sponsors] gurano sponsa no tekiou de okurishimasu".

Munsu
Tue, 04-15-2008, 12:27 AM
I think it's more like "Kono bangumi wa goran no suponsaa no teikyou de okurishimasu"

I think it's along the lines of "The following program is brought to you by the following sponsors (the sponsors you're looking at)" that would be my best educated guess.

Of course, it varies from time to time with them actually mentioning the sponsors... but the above line is what is used more often, and the others are pretty much based on that one.

I know that:
"Kono bangumi" means this program
"goran" has to do with something that has to do with "to look"
"suponsaa" means sponsors
"teikyou" means to offer and program sponsorship
"okurishimasu" means something along the lines of "to send off" in a polite way.

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 04-15-2008, 07:06 AM
I think Munsu is on the best track here. Do you also know how to write it in Kanji?

David75
Tue, 04-15-2008, 09:02 AM
I was wondering if "goran suponsaa" could be a japanisation of "grand sponsor"
Just a guess from someone who never learnt the language, but starts to get used to hearing it.

Animeniax
Tue, 04-15-2008, 09:31 AM
I was thinking that too, but I distinctly hear "no" between guran and suponsaa. If it was grand, it would be gorando, not gorano.

It seems they only say the gorano suponsaa part if there's a longer list of sponsors, probably smaller companies. Otherwise it goes straight from listing the sponsors to "wo teikyou de okurishimasu"

Psyke
Tue, 04-15-2008, 09:48 AM
この番組はご覧のスポンサーの提供でお送りします。

Animeniax
Tue, 04-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Can you tell us what they are saying in romaji, Psyke?

Psyke
Tue, 04-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Bud's got it down perfectly.

この番組は -> Kono bangumi wa -> This programme is

ご覧のスポンサー -> goran no suponsa -> the sponsors you see

の提供で -> no tekyou de -> sponsored from

お送りします。-> okuri shimasu -> brought/given to you

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 04-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks Psyke! Was waiting for you to post. Domo!

Animeniax
Wed, 10-15-2008, 03:51 AM
What does it mean when they say in Japanese "hoho"? I think the kanji is 頬.

darkshadow
Wed, 10-15-2008, 05:40 AM
I know it means cheek, but the real "meaning" behind it? i dunno.

Animeniax
Wed, 10-15-2008, 06:00 AM
Hmm weird. I checked a dictionary site and it shows it means "cheek" too, but I've seen translations of dialogue with "hoho" on the Japanese side but no "cheek" on the English side. I always thought it was a conjunction of some kind.

Psyke
Wed, 10-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Like Chinese, Japanese has kanji with different meanings and different pronounciation too, and even the same meaning can have different underlying tones under different context...

darkshadow
Wed, 10-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Perhaps you meant houhou(hōhō)? which means something like, a certain way, or something.

Animeniax
Wed, 10-15-2008, 11:26 PM
I think you've got it, though I don't hear the elongated 'o' sound with the 'u'. But I think in everyday speech even the Japanese don't pronounce words exactly right. The "certain way" definition seems to fit. Thanks!

Psyke
Wed, 10-15-2008, 11:31 PM
The kanji meaning is the same as the chinese characters in this case: 方法 hou hou

Animeniax
Wed, 10-15-2008, 11:36 PM
And is the translation the same as what darkshadow posted?

I notice the Japanese like to equivocate like that. They often say "sonno kanji de" to express "that sort of feeling or intention".

Psyke
Thu, 10-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Yes, it means method, or way of doing something.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Would anyone care to translate the colour guide for the paints for me?
If I get what the % mixes are, I might be able to buy equivalents here. Thanks for whoever can help out.

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/3140/10075554t2nj7.th.jpg (http://img387.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10075554t2nj7.jpg)http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7971/10075554tma8.th.jpg (http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10075554tma8.jpg)

Psyke
Sun, 10-19-2008, 08:24 AM
White 100%------------| Neutral Grey 95% +----|Sea Grey 90%------------|White 60%
Neutral Grey (little)--|Midnight Blue 5%---------|Neutral Grey 10%-------|Cream Yellow 40%
Clear Blue (little)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black 100%-------------|Dark Grey 100%----------|Red Brown 80%---------|Neutral Grey 100%
-----------------------------------------------------------------|Neutral Grey 15%
-----------------------------------------------------------------|Tyre Black 5%
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shine Red 60%--------|Khaki 45%------------------|Luminous Green----------|RLM Grey 90%
Orange 40%-------------|Olive Drap 45%---------------------------------------------|Violet 10%
White (little)-------------|Dark Grey 10%
Clear Green 100%----|White 100%-----------------|Shine Red 60%
-------------------------------|Violet (little)-----------------|Pink 40%
------------------------------------------------------------------|Violet (little)
Gull Grey (?) 100%----|Violet 95%------------------|Yellow 100%
--------------------------------|Cobalt Blue 5%
Clear Blue 25%----------|RLM Dark Grey 100%
Clear Red 20%
Clear 55%

Edited for formatting. Hope it's clear.

Animeniax
Sun, 10-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Dang I was translating the colors, but got stuck early on "garu gure". Gull grey?

Psyke
Sun, 10-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Same here. It's the only one I'm not sure of. :p

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Awesome! Thanks for working on it, Psyke and Ani :)

Psyke
Sun, 10-19-2008, 08:56 AM
No prob. I just remembered I still haven't posted the pics of my old Gundams I promised in the other thread. :p

Hopefully I'll do it soon, but in the mean time good luck on your Messiah! And post pics when you're done!

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-19-2008, 08:59 AM
No prob. I just remembered I still haven't posted the pics of my old Gundams I promised in the other thread. :p

Hopefully I'll do it soon, but in the mean time good luck on your Messiah! And post pics when you're done!

Unfortunately, I won't be getting it till later on this year, may around Christmas. I've got a 3 month summer break to work on it, so hopefully it should look alright :D.

That damn Aussie dollar better climb back up by then, or I'll have to pay a fortune :(

Alternatively, USD or Yen can drop :D

animus
Sun, 10-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Oh don't worry, the USD is definitely dropping.

Xelbair
Mon, 10-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Cool thread. Wouldn't the proper sentence structure in Japanese be "All enemies the Dark Lord kills"?

No shows ownership: so Joe no kage means "Joe's shadow" (or something like that)

Wa means is/am

Check out http://www.yesjapan.com/dictionary/ for another useful dictionary.
Wa DOES NOT mean is/am wa its particle that determines the subject, is/am/are is Desu, for existence we use iru or aru(imasu/arimasu) iru for living things aru for non-living things, and verb is always at the end of sentence(excluding particles - like yo, ga, kara, ne, ka etc)
No got a lot uses, but mostly you are correct.
Also we read Ou like prolonged O

Correct me Psyke, if I'm wrong, i might be wrong because i learn Japanese for 2 semesters(now I'm at 3rd one)

ps.
I hate when some weeaboo reads with English accent desu... its just damn annoying. In Poland we spell the same way as Japanese ( but we got more sounds like ą, ę, ń, ż, ź etc.).

also katakana and hiragana(mostly hiragana from what i seen) above kanji is used to describe it meaning and its called Furikana if i remember correctly

Psyke
Mon, 10-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, you can't really find an exact English equivalent for a lot of Japanese characters, especially particles. Even the sentence structure is vastly different, and will serve to confuse if you seek to find the exact English translation, word for word, or character for character.

As for the pronunciation, you can't really blame the rest of the English speaking world. It's how they have been taught to read, because they don't see the Japanese text as broken up into Hiragana characters but a whole word in its entirety.

Furigana is the little hiragana text you see on top of kanji. It's used in complex kanji, or in cases where the pronunciation of the kanji is different/special. It also helps people to learn kanji too, since there are so many kanji with different meanings and pronunciations.

I'm preparing for my level 2 exams this year. :)

Scale
Sat, 11-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi, This might be a rather odd request but i am going to request it anyway.
Could somebody this sentence to japanese without using an online converter please?

"Because it's good for my future self."

Thanks allot!

Animeniax
Sat, 11-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Sounds like you should do your own homework kid. You'll never pass Japanese Language 101 if we keep giving you the proverbial fish.

darkshadow
Sat, 11-22-2008, 01:26 PM
And try using the translation thread next time.

Scale
Sat, 11-22-2008, 01:31 PM
I am not trying to learn japanese and sorry didn't see a translation thread i did look for a forum section but since there isn't any i thought i would post it in off topic

Assertn
Sat, 11-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Dagara wa ureshii watashi da mirai

Animeniax
Sat, 11-22-2008, 02:00 PM
That looks like it came from an online translation site Assertn. Didn't he expressly ask that you not do that??

animus
Sat, 11-22-2008, 02:24 PM
That sounds correct for a literal word to word translation (besides swapping happy for good which would make sense for the context), though unsure about the syntax.

darkshadow
Sat, 11-22-2008, 02:31 PM
my japanese is still not good enough to help you, but from the top of my head i would guess:
"Datte are wa ii desu de mirai no jibun"

Let's just wait for Psyke to give the correct answer ;P

Psyke
Sat, 11-22-2008, 11:30 PM
It's hard to translate something without knowing the context from one language to another, as the meaning may be lost in translation although the words mean the same thing. I'm much better at translating from Japanese to English, but my guess would be:

"Mirai no jibun ni ii dakara." 未来の自分に良いだから。

Assertn
Sun, 11-23-2008, 12:18 AM
haha....i just pulled words i recognized and made up the rest. Meh

Oh don't worry, the USD is definitely dropping.
orly? http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?from=AUD&to=USD&amt=1&t=1y

lol...USD is the strongest against AUD it's been in the past 5 years

Scale
Sun, 11-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks allot guys,
It doesn't have to be perfect its the thought it represents.

darkshadow
Sun, 11-23-2008, 03:10 PM
It's hard to translate something without knowing the context from one language to another, as the meaning may be lost in translation although the words mean the same thing. I'm much better at translating from Japanese to English, but my guess would be:

"Mirai no jibun ni ii dakara." 未来の自分に良いだから。

I always try to overly complex word by word translate to japanese >_<, which is weird cause I understood your line perfectly, meh i need more lessons.

Assertn
Sun, 11-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Scale's probably writing a paper about weeaboo subcultures

(speaking of which...it's my 9500th post!)

Animeniax
Sun, 11-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks allot guys,
It doesn't have to be perfect its the thought it represents.
Are you trying pick up lines for Japanese girls?

Congrats Assertn, can't wait for the 10k party.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Bill here to annoy you again :p

I'll need some help translating the text in red boxes

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5995/macrosswe8.th.jpg (http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=macrosswe8.jpg)

What I managed to understand is that the first box tells me I've got regular stickers and water transfer markings too (both being identical). I've had experience with water transfer markings before, so luckily it's not an entirely new concept.

Second box, 1st instruction says to put it in water for 3 seconds.
2nd line: something about removing the backing paper?
3rd line: Stick and press, getting rid of bubbles. Careful when touching with hands, or simply not touch it?

Box no.3
*Clean contact surface with medium strength cleaners (to rid it of oil) before applying?
*Use tools to perform, paying attention to something?
*This is a suggestion only. Markings are free to be applied as wished?

That's as far as I got. Again, thanks in advance guys.

Psyke
Mon, 12-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Second box:

Line 1: Soak in warm water for 3 seconds. Remove decal using a pin set.
Line 2: Slide the decal onto the backing and wait, then stick according to the table
Line 3: Use a cotton bud to press on the decal and remove the air bubbles. Don't touch it until it dries up.

Box 3:

Line 1: Use a cleaning agent to wipe the parts which the decals are to be pasted on in advance to remove the excess oil.
Line 2: Prepare your tools in advance (scissors, pin set, cotton bud).
Line 3: Feel free to apply the extra decals as you prefer.

Well, might not be 100% but it's somewhere there. :p

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks Psyke. With that, I hope to get started soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For anyone wanting a graphical explanation, here's some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Sotbest/Decal#5187609487647478498

http://kusakusa.wordpress.com/2008/08/13/how-to-apply-decals/?referer=sphere_related_content/
/off topic

Animeniax
Thu, 01-01-2009, 10:40 PM
(speaking of which...it's my 9500th post!)
Why does your post count only show 8545 posts now?

Can anyone tell me how to say "or" in Japanese? As in "do you want an orange or an apple?"

Ryllharu
Thu, 01-01-2009, 10:49 PM
"soretomo" is 'or' if I am not mistaken. "soshite" is 'and' if you want that too.

I don't know something else is used for some other context though. Japanese has a lot of contextual use words (like counting pages versus oranges versus fish for example).

Animeniax
Thu, 01-01-2009, 10:50 PM
I can't recall ever hearing that phrase in any context in any anime or J-drama I've seen. Thanks for the answer though.

Psyke
Fri, 01-02-2009, 02:14 AM
"Or" is simply "ka" (か).

shinta|hikari
Fri, 01-02-2009, 05:24 AM
Aruiwa is also used.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Is 'soretomo' the drawn out version where you are attempting to emphasize that there is an alternative? The way I've heard it is usually when trailing off: "[phrase] or..."

(often in the gag where a wife or harem participant asks if the male lead wants, "dinner, a bath or....me~")

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-02-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm interested in this too, like where and when to use each phrase. Here's an example of Ryll's case (quite the exact case actually) from H20 - footprints in the sand.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ckDwpln_9rE#t=6m22s

If anyone's interested, there's another example at 6:55 :p

You're back home, right Ani, so I'm not excluding you from this?

Psyke
Fri, 01-02-2009, 10:10 AM
The "sore tomo" (それとも) here also refers to "or", but with 2 or more options available to the person you're talking to.

Hope it clears up any confusion! :)

Animeniax
Fri, 01-02-2009, 12:18 PM
"Or" is simply "ka" (か).
I've actually heard this use before, so it'd be like "orange? apple?" instead of using the conjunction between them.

Looking at the root words in sore tomo, it would come out to be "sore to mo" which translates to "that and also", which also makes sense as a conjunction.

Thanks for all the answers folks.

Psyke
Fri, 01-02-2009, 12:21 PM
The "ka" in this situation is not the question marker, but really a connector between options. :)

darkshadow
Fri, 01-02-2009, 12:26 PM
オレンジかリンゴか
orenji ka ringo ka?
orange or apple?

Animeniax
Fri, 01-02-2009, 12:27 PM
So it would be "orenji ka appuru ka" in one flowing sentence? That usage I haven't heard. There's always a pause after the first ka, like it's a self-contained sentence, like "orange?" then "apple?".

オレンジ か リンゴ か
orenji ka ringo ka?
orange or apple?
If you have the second ka, do you still need the question mark at the end?

Xelbair
Fri, 01-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Well this sentence have the meaning of "orange or apple?" but it literally means "orange? apple?", in Japanese you use "ka" as a question mark.
and Darkshadow - "ringo" should be written with hiragana instead of katakana - its Japanese word. Unless you want to spell it like APPLE(if you use katakana instead of hiragana that is the effect)

darkshadow
Fri, 01-02-2009, 12:31 PM
It was always my understanding you need to write out everything in romanji, punctuation, wa instead of ha, etc...
I could be wrong though.

Xelbair
Fri, 01-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Yes, its good, but I'm talking about you use of kana not the romaji.
the romaji for your sentence would be "orenji ka RINGO ka?" because you used katakana for ringo - a Japanese word.

darkshadow
Fri, 01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
uhm, sry but my post was directed at animeniax.
And afaik you don't write ringo in hiragana at all, just kanji and katakana

Psyke
Fri, 01-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I've seen a lot of Japanese words written in Kata. I was a bit confused at first too, but my sensei says it's in kata for ease of understand/reading, and doesn't really matter much. If you go read the subtitles of many Japanese PVs, you'll realise that a lot of native Japanese words are expressed using Kata as well. Strange, but that's the way it is.....

Animeniax
Fri, 01-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Do you mean Kana? Kata is associated with martial arts or does it have something to do with alphabets?

On yesjapan.com, "appuru" is written with katakana, while "ringo" is written with kanji and hiragana.

Psyke
Sat, 01-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Kata as in Katakana (片仮名), not Style (型). It's pretty common to mix katakana and hiragana together in modern Japanese, not just for foreign loan words, but also for hard to read kanji, to indicate accents, etc.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-04-2009, 08:06 PM
The "sore tomo" (それとも) here also refers to "or", but with 2 or more options available to the person you're talking to.

Hope it clears up any confusion! :)

Regarding that, "sore tomo" is used again in the preview for Ef - a tale of melodies 7 (End of episode 6) There's only 2 choices there though. Or is the use correct because it's not two defined choices?

http://www.animeshout.com/watch-ef-a-tale-of-melodies-episode-6.html

(fast-forward to the end-of-episode preview)

Psyke
Wed, 01-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Yup, it's the same although there's 2 choices. It's also commonly used when paying, when the cashier or waiter asks whether you want to pay by cash or credit. :)

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 01-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Duders & chickettes.
I was wondering if the following is a correct translation for my nick;

殺害アイズ - satsugai aizu.

If not, what would be?

Psyke
Sun, 01-18-2009, 09:34 AM
殺害/殺害する seems more appropriate when used as a verb, so I'm not too sure if it's suitable as your nick. You may want to use a direct translation using katakana, such as キラーアイズ, or something more subtle like 致命的な目 which literally means Eyes that bring/cause death. I'd recommend the former though.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 01-18-2009, 09:37 AM
キラーアイズ - So this literally means Killa-Eyez or Killer-Eyez?

Psyke
Sun, 01-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Killer Eyes. Hmmm enlighten me but I'm not sure of the difference.....

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 01-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Difference between Killa-Eyez and Killer-Eyes?
Well Killa isn't exactly a word, nor is Eyez. I didn't think you could translate english slang into japanese. So what I have here is Killer-Eyes.
Thanks Psyke. I wanna give you pos. rep. but it says to rep somebody different then you. :p
Though you're the only one helping me out though. :D

Animeniax
Sun, 01-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Psyke is really all the help you need for Japanese translations.

Literally キラーアイズ translates to "kira-aizu" so phonetically it matches what you're going for.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 01-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey, it actually does! Thanks! :D

XanBcoo
Sun, 01-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Well Killa isn't exactly a word, nor is Eyez. I didn't think you could translate english slang into japanese.
In what sense does spelling "Eyes" with a "z" constitute slang?? It's a matter of spelling and nothing else.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 01-18-2009, 08:58 PM
In what sense does spelling "Eyes" with a "z" constitute slang?? It's a matter of spelling and nothing else.

Are you serious? LOL!
As it is with all other slang, yet it's still being used isn't it? What do you make of Killa then?

Thanks for the lesson though.

Or tell me if I'm getting you wrong.

XanBcoo
Sun, 01-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Are you serious? LOL!
As it is with all other slang, yet it's still being used isn't it? What do you make of Killa then?

Thanks for the lesson though.

Or tell me if I'm getting you wrong.
Killa and Eyez are spelled with an "a" and a "z" at the end to represent a dialect in the spelling (although really, the "z" isn't needed since the sound is "z" regardless of spelling). In the end, the words still mean the same thing: literally Killer (adj) and Eyes. It is not slang.

http://www.uncp.edu/home/canada/work/allam/1914-/language/slang.htm

In any case, I didn't mean to derail. Should have said all that in my first post. Sorry.

Edit to below: I'm not going to derail again. I already told you anyway :p, it's a matter of spelling.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 01-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Mmkay..
How do I call it then? Dialect?

Animeniax
Sun, 01-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Slang would be more like calling eyes "peepers" or "dice" or something like that. It wouldn't even be a colloquialism or jargon, just a misspelling.

But we get your intention.

Killa-Eyez
Mon, 01-19-2009, 08:01 AM
I understand. Thanks for the explanation. :D

Animeniax
Tue, 01-27-2009, 12:56 PM
If someone asks you "are you Japanese?", would you respond with:
chigaun desu, chigai desu, or chigau desu?

Xelbair
Tue, 01-27-2009, 03:09 PM
"IIe, watashi wa nihonjin dewa arimasen." if you want to be polite(it means "I'm not Japanese"
"Iie, watashi wa nihonjin dewanai" if you want to be casual, you can change watashi to ore or other form of "I" but they are not polite.
and if you want to communicate that you are american just add after that "amerikajin desu"
Chigau desu might be right too but its more like "Its false" or "Its wrong" or "You are wrong" depends on context.

ps. no idea of there is space between dewa and nai, in kana/kanji there are no spaces.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Chigau desu might be right too but its more like "Its false" or "Its wrong" or "You are wrong" depends on context.

I think that's closer to what he wants though. In English, you'd normally answer "No". Perhaps that's too blunt in Japanese?

darkshadow
Tue, 01-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Dewa nai, is a mixture of formal and informal, the "correct" informal way is ja nai.
As for saying, I would just say "iie", followed up with whatever nationality/ethnicity you are.
"iie, boku wa orandajin desu", simply cause I like the informal way and I don't really care if people would think i'm impolite or whatever.

Saying just chigau desu would be considered somewhat informal too I think it would be better to add "are wa" before the chigau, if you absolutely want to say it that way, though I'm not sure about that.

Animeniax
Tue, 01-27-2009, 11:29 PM
It is informal but I've heard it used that way on j-dramas a lot. It literally means "different", which is to say "it is different from what you said" which means you're wrong or simply no.

I hadn't considered it would be too informal to use in polite conversation. My mistake. I would always answer "chigau desu, Amerika-jin desu". But I wasn't sure if it should be chigau or chigaun or chigai, all of which I've heard before but don't know when to use which.

Psyke
Wed, 01-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Chigaimasu (違います) means wrong or making a mistake. It's dictionary form is Chigau (違う). Thus, you can either say 1) Chigaimasu. 2) Chigau. 3) Chigau 'n desu. The 'n desu is used mainly in spoken Japanese as a softener.

KrayZ33
Wed, 02-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Can someone explain/translate the option menu here?

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5182/neubitmap3du0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

what I know so far (at least I think I know it is)

1st "Box"
1st casket = fullscreen
2nd casket = back ground music
3rd casket = Sound effects
4th casket = voices (?)

2nd "Box"

1st casket = low graphics
2nd casket = 16 bit colours(?)
3rd casket = max fps 30 (?)

rest unknown

3rd "Box" + the small "box in the box" (right to the 3rd casket)

unknown

the bar on the bottom = brightness(?)
the stuff right to the bar = controler 1 and 2 or something(?)

and the stuff at the upper right corner (above my system information) = unknown

I tried to it out myself but I can't tell much of a difference in gameplay/graphics so far.

Psyke
Wed, 02-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Voice is correct.
16 bit colour mode is correct.
FPS 30 automatic.

The rest of the option are:
Texture Effects off
Simple Effects
Multi-select off

Shader
Version 2.0
Version 1.1
Don't use

The slider adjusts texture transparency. Box in box says "simple". 3 buttons on the right are "Manual", "Configuration", and "Start".

Top right says "replay file".

Animeniax
Wed, 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Aww crap I had most of that translated (except for the kanji). You beat me to it Psyke. Thanks :p

KrayZ33
Wed, 02-04-2009, 10:58 AM
ehh I'm a bit confused

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9527/neubitmap3gc0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

this one again pls

I thought the first is "simple effects"?
I understood that my guess with the second(16 bit) and third (FPS, which is the grey one and set on automatic, right?) were right.

so once again for me, what's the 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th? (it's the best if you write it like "1st = xxxxx" "4th = yyyyy" etc. ^^)

and when we are at it, what does "multi-select" do or mean Oo never heard that before.

thx 4 help

Psyke
Wed, 02-04-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm not too sure about the 1st one either too.....

As for the rest:

4th: No texture effects
5th: Simple effects
6th: My bad, it's multi-thread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-threading) instead of multi-select. :)

KrayZ33
Wed, 02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I see thx..

so it's better to leave them unselected.

animus
Wed, 02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Is that an eroge O_o?

KrayZ33
Wed, 02-04-2009, 12:37 PM
nah, it's a fighting game

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/200/neubitmapsq3.th.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=neubitmapsq3.jpg)

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5084/neubitmap2ss7.th.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=neubitmap2ss7.jpg)

Fate/Stay Night characters (+ Hollow Ataraxia)

animus
Wed, 02-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought at first when I saw the banner in that options screen. That's not Unlimited Codes is it, which isn't out yet right?

KrayZ33
Wed, 02-04-2009, 02:38 PM
It's not Unlimited Codes (the game IS out already for the PS2)... the game I play at the moment is like the banner says: Crucis Fatal † Fake

but you should search the game thread for Unlimited Codes (which does excist already if I'm not mistaken) or the Fate/Stay Night game thread... because it doesn't belong here ^^ (I wish they would release it for PC...)

RyougaZell
Thu, 02-12-2009, 04:54 PM
While I was browsing a .hack//LINK webpage I ended up in the next page:
http://maoh.dengeki.com/

Its the webpage for the Dengeki Maoh manga magazine. As Persona 4 was on its March cover I decided to check it out. As I saw the cover I see something called 'contact book'. Since I can't read Kanji I don't quite understand what is it supposed to be.

Since the legend '56P' is there I was thinking it was a free artbook alongside the issue. Based on Amazon Japan's sale, where there is a separate photo of the Contact Book, I began assuming it was. (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%9B%BB%E6%92%83%E3%83%9E%E7%8E%8B-2009%E5%B9%B4-03%E6%9C%88%E5%8F%B7-%E9%9B%91%E8%AA%8C/dp/B001Q45CXO/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b)

I asked Bill and he told me its a supplementary book, but was not sure of what it really was.

Can someone aid me by translating what the cover says besides Persona 4?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/RyougaZell/misc/61iTnjwJeDL_SS500_.jpg

More info on both links above.

EDIT:

Bill suggested I asked for a translation of this section:

"
『ペルソナ4』公式コミックが連載開始!!
特別企画満載のコンタクトブックが付録に!!

待望のコミック第3話に加えて、世界観解説記事や、
曽我部先生のイラストギャラリーなど大ボリューム!!
"

Psyke
Sat, 02-14-2009, 09:44 AM
『ペルソナ4』公式コミックが連載開始!!
Persona 4 official comic is starting!!

特別企画満載のコンタクトブックが付録に!!
Includes a "Contact Book" of special contents!!

待望のコミック第3話に加えて、世界観解説記事や、
Following the release of the anticipated 3rd volume with articles on the views of the world,

曽我部先生のイラストギャラリーなど大ボリューム!!
Sogabe-sensei's illustrated gallery will premiere!

Hope it helps :)

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Does that mean the "Contact Book" will contain "Sogabe-sensei's illustrated gallery" as well as "articles on the views of the world"?

That's what we were trying to figure out -> what is a contact book?

Psyke
Sat, 02-14-2009, 09:51 AM
I have no idea, I thought it was something Persona related..... And from the text, it implies that the book will have special articles as well as the illustrated gallery.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Sounds like then.

Second question (I'm bugging you :p): Does the cover say this magazine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/RyougaZell/misc/61iTnjwJeDL_SS500_.jpg

will come with the Yellow Persona 4 book in the bottom left? Or is it simply talking about it? I believe it's the former, since Amazon's site here (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%9B%BB%E6%92%83%E3%83%9E%E7%8E%8B-2009%E5%B9%B4-03%E6%9C%88%E5%8F%B7-%E9%9B%91%E8%AA%8C/dp/B001Q45CXO/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b) shows both books under the "Photos of Items" section, but just wanting to make sure.

RyougaZell
Sat, 02-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks Psyke.
As Bill pointed out, that is what we are trying to figure out before I order the book through Amazon Japan. The book itself isn't that expensive... but shipment to Mexico is... and I kinda only want the contact book...

The part about it being an illustration book (even if its only partial) is enough for me to get it. Just need to know if it comes with the magazine.

Psyke
Sat, 02-14-2009, 10:43 AM
From the way the cover promotes the book, I'm pretty sure it's a free supplement to the magazine itself. :)

Animeniax
Fri, 09-18-2009, 10:18 AM
How do you say "job interview" in Japanese? Would it be kyuushoku?

Psyke
Fri, 09-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Kyuushoku (求職) is more like looking for employment. If you are talking about an employment interview, usually shuusyoku mensetsu (就職面接) or just mensetsu (面接) is used.

Archangel
Sun, 10-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Can anyone give me a hand with this?

http://www.ntl-kk.com/dbo.html

It's the official website on the dragon ball online mmorpg in planning. Does it say anything about any beta testing or possible release dates?

Psyke
Sun, 10-11-2009, 12:30 PM
8th Sep - Start of closed Beta in Korea.
20th Sep - End of 3 day closed Beta in Korea.

You did check out the links for the pics and videos right?

Scale
Tue, 10-13-2009, 04:57 AM
Could somebody tell me what non-character japanese is called, i'm trying to find the japanese word for "caterpillar" but without characters

Thanks a bunch

darkshadow
Tue, 10-13-2009, 05:43 AM
non-character is called, "romaji". And the japanese word for it is kemushi.

Scale
Tue, 10-13-2009, 05:56 AM
non-character is called, "romaji". And the japanese word for it is kemushi.

Thanks for the quick reply

Scale
Fri, 11-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Wow no requests since me?
Now i feel needy :S

Could somebody translate 'How soon is now?'

Thanks again

XanBcoo
Fri, 11-06-2009, 05:20 PM

Don't feel needy.

You are human, and you need to be loved. Just like everybody else does...

Scale
Fri, 11-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Don't feel needy.

You are human, and you need to be loved. Just like everybody else does...

It's a great song isn't it?

Scale
Sat, 11-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Wow no requests since me?

Thanks again

No correct translation possible?

Psyke
Sat, 11-14-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm struggling even to understand the English meaning :p

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-14-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm struggling even to understand the English meaning :p

It sounds like one of those skeptical questions to me, like:

"Where are you?"
"I'm coming now!"
"How soon is now?"

XanBcoo
Sat, 11-14-2009, 09:51 PM
It sounds like one of those skeptical questions to me, like:

"Where are you?"
"I'm coming now!"
"How soon is now?"
"When can we start?"

"Soon"

"How soon is right now?"

The implication being "Is right now too soon to start?"

Scale
Sun, 11-15-2009, 06:28 AM
It would be one of those skeptical questions, however it is a title also.

Ill be there in a moment. How long is a moment?

Am i right to assume that japanese and skeptical sentences don't mix?

David75
Sun, 11-15-2009, 06:42 AM
It would be one of those skeptical questions, however it is a title also.

Ill be there in a moment. How long is a moment?

Am i right to assume that japanese and skeptical sentences don't mix?

Nope, for any translation you need as many details as possible, for you can totally miss the true meaning you wish to translate.
All details includ context, who, how, why, culture differences and so on.
And in Japanese specific cultural details are very important too.

But in this case, the problem would be to know the book we speak of, because for translating its title, it is highly important to know about the story to try and give the best possible set of words and meaning, that will mimic the authors intentions.

Think of all the possiblities you have in english to just describe someone, a tree or the weather outside.
Try now to think of all the possibilities to describe the same idea, a concept... and you'll understand that a translation is the even more complicated.

So giving just a phrase is calling for more questions, when asking for a translation...

XanBcoo
Sun, 11-15-2009, 07:37 PM
But in this case, the problem would be to know the book we speak of, because for translating its title, it is highly important to know about the story to try and give the best possible set of words and meaning, that will mimic the authors intentions.
It's the title of a song. There is a stanza of lyrics that goes:

When you say it's gonna happen "now"
well, when exactly do you mean?
see I've already waited too long
and all my hope is gone

The title is just another way of asking that same question. As I said above, the implication is "I would like to start as soon as possible. Is right now too soon?"

Sapphire
Sun, 11-15-2009, 08:19 PM
How soon is now?
今はいつ?
ima wa itsu?

darkshadow
Mon, 11-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Ima wa itsu sounds really weird to me o_O.

Psyke
Mon, 11-16-2009, 06:33 AM
”今はいつ” translates more to "When is now?", rather than "How soon is now?", and thus loses the intended meaning.... which is why I can't really find a good translation. I can't even come up with a good Chinese equilivant, actually.

Sapphire
Mon, 11-16-2009, 08:42 AM
x_____x

tangorin.com ?

darkshadow
Mon, 11-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Yeah online dictionaries aren't really accurate.

Sapphire
Mon, 11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
That one's actually really good. Check it out before you put it in babblefish category....

Also a native Japanese told me it's that if anything, and that there really is no term for that in Japanese so that's the closest... not the online dictionary!

Archangel
Mon, 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM
What does "Katsu" mean?

darkshadow
Mon, 11-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Depends on the context, but it most of the times it simply means "to win".

Sapphire
Mon, 11-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Psyke, 日本語の勉強のし方を教えてください。 :(

Psyke
Tue, 11-17-2009, 01:48 AM
自分で勉強するつもりですか?それはちょっと難しいんです。できるだけ、日本語学校へ行くべき です。:)

It's best to enroll in a class and have a native teacher. I studied by myself for a while, but hit my limit and decided to go for actual classes. Progress was much faster, and I now have my JLPT level 2 certification :)

Kraco
Tue, 11-17-2009, 03:27 AM
Don't spam the thread, folks. Although this isn't my thread, but I think it would be wiser if questions were answered primarily by people who know Japanese genuinely and not people who only found some online translator.

Sapphire
Tue, 11-17-2009, 07:41 AM
自分で勉強するつもりですか?それはちょっと難しいんです。できるだけ、日本語学校へ行くべき です。:)

It's best to enroll in a class and have a native teacher. I studied by myself for a while, but hit my limit and decided to go for actual classes. Progress was much faster, and I now have my JLPT level 2 certification :)
それはちょっと。。。今大学の二年生日本語のクラスをとっています。自分で宿題を勉強していますけど,しけ んはまだ難しいわよ。私が先週とったしけんはダメでした。じょしや言葉やぶんぽが覚えにくいと思います。ど うしたらいいでしょうか。日本語のクラスと言えば,クラスにどうやって練習しますか。

だから,ここに日本語で読むことと書くことはいいですよ。

darkshadow
Tue, 11-17-2009, 07:52 AM
This is called the translation thread right? >_>
So unless you want that translated don't do that.

Sapphire
Tue, 11-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Yes I do, go away.

^Did you refer to that line before making that statement?

Psycke, ここにいじわる人がいるので,プライベトメセーギへ行かなくてはいけないかしら。ダメーーーー ーー

Psyke
Tue, 11-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Haha sure will do. Just note that I'm definitely not a native speaker and it's my third language, so I'm far from being good.

Sapphire
Tue, 11-17-2009, 08:22 AM
On a last note:

*No one active in this thread knows Japanese geniuinely
*I WAS asking for translation help, only it was in Japanese (helps me more)
*Tangorin (puny online dictionary) DOES help (ima wa itsu was told to me by a native japanese speaker, dictionary was a secondary suggestion)
*No one (or maybe just me) likes control freaks who subject their own interpretation of what a thread should be as a thread rule.

/off to PM

Kraco
Tue, 11-17-2009, 09:00 AM
*No one active in this thread knows Japanese geniuinely
Psyke knows Japanese quite well. Shinta might not be visiting this thread but he's a gotwoot member nonetheless. DS is studying Japanese as well, though I don't know his level of skills. I'm pretty sure there were others as well.

I'm not trying to ruin this thread, quite the contrary. So far this has been a really valuable thread with Psyke and others offering intelligent, context sensitive translations. That's not true anymore if people start to copy paste here machine translations as if they were worth the same as human translations. I'm sure you see my general point even if you indeed did check yours with that Japanese person.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 11-17-2009, 09:11 AM
How soon is "now"? - I assume it is with the quotation marks since it won't make much sense otherwise.

Ima to iu no wa dono kurai chikai desu ka.

or

Ima to iu no wa itsu desu ka.

By adding the to iu no wa part, it emphasizes the fact that the word "now" is not to be taken literally, and that the meaning of the word itself is being questioned.

Sapphire
Tue, 11-17-2009, 11:19 AM
@Kraco: No one here copy pasted machine translations. I did however recommend a good online dictionary with grammatical examples that helps immensely. I don't see what's wrong with that. Unless your preemptively forbidding things not done yet I don't see your point (mods have been tending to do this)? And by genuinely I thought you meant natively fluent not learning? LOL In that case I'm learning too, and I don't see how recommending a learning resource delegitimizes what my friend recommended. Especially since the original intent of this thread was apparently for grammar and writing support, if you go back to post one.

Perhaps you think I just googled the answer or something. Not true. Asked the friend and then recommended the resource (if you bother looking at it it's not just your human desensitized online translator) because no one seemed to know the answer/think that one sounded right.

In any case.. I need help with some test sentences...

さいきんテストのしつもんがあります:
How do you say -
"It's that there are only twenty pieces"
"Oh," (as an interjection)
and
"先生が三時に空港(some particle)着くんですが,だれかに空港むかえに行って(recieve favor of meeting?)か?” I had that question on a test... super confusing.. can someone explain? (fill in the blank)
"週末パーティーに妹(x)つれて行ってあげようと思っています”

XanBcoo
Tue, 11-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Unless your preemptively forbidding things not done yet I don't see your point (mods have been tending to do this)?
I admit to doing this, only because I'm familiar with the community and know how certain threads turn out. I think some sensible preemptive moderating is a good idea in order to keep things on track.

However, I was watching this thread and didn't personally feel it was going off track. I think you've been around here long enough to know when the thread is turning spammy, and to not engage in that. If Kraco or I (or any mod) comes in to remind people to not derail, it's not because we're handing out warnings. We're trying to keep things running smoothly.

But like I said, this thread is currently nowhere near spam territory, so please continue discussing Japanese.

Archangel
Tue, 11-17-2009, 05:53 PM
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8941/lolwatu.jpg

Can someone explain the joke? Just a general idea would be nice

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Kuroko simply said that if anyone wants to get it on with Mikoto, they should go through her first. Touma takes this literally and happily accepts, and Kuroko then seems to not mind, despite saying that she already has her onee-sama as a love interest. This pisses off Mikoto who apparently witnesses the scene, and she kills them both (I assume from the amount of blood).

@Sapphi -

"It's that there are only twenty pieces"

”ただ、二十(個 or whatever counter is appropriate)しかないですよ。”

"先生が三時に空港(some particle)着くんですが,だれかに空港むかえに行って(recieve favor of meeting?)か?” I had that question on a test... super confusing.. can someone explain? (fill in the blank)
"週末パーティーに妹(x)つれて行ってあげようと思っています”

"先生が三時に空港(へ)着くんですが,だれかに空港むかえに行って(もらいます)か?”
"週末パーティーに妹(を)つれて行ってあげようと思っています”

Animeniax
Thu, 12-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Not really a translation, but does anyone know who the woman on the left is?

http://i26.tinypic.com/14v09qx.jpg

Sapphire
Thu, 12-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks! Why is it recieve and not give? x___X

Assertn
Mon, 01-11-2010, 03:53 AM
I got this shirt with glyphs all over it...I'm not positive if its chinese or japanese, though. Can anyone read it?

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9640/imagegrv.jpg
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6783/imagedl.jpg

masamuneehs
Mon, 01-11-2010, 06:13 AM
way to break the page with your massive fucking images...

cunt.

and it's Japanese.

Animeniax
Mon, 01-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Too bad you can't do anything about it, eh masa?

It's definitely Japanese. I think it's fabric care instructions. Something like "wash in warm water, do not use bleach".

Not really a translation, but does anyone know who the woman on the left is?

http://i26.tinypic.com/14v09qx.jpg
Well thanks for nothing everyone but I found out who the girl on the left is. I'm not telling though.

Assertn
Mon, 01-11-2010, 11:31 AM
way to break the page with your massive fucking images...

cunt.

and it's Japanese.
I decided to keep it larger to make it easier to read.

Thanks for the help, masa. You don't post much these days, but when you do, at least I can count on it to be contextually constructive and insightful.

@Animeniax : that's a shit ton of text for being fabric care instructions. I have another screenshot of the back of the shirt, which is pretty much completely covered in text.

Animeniax
Mon, 01-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I was just kidding about the translation, assertn. I could possibly decipher some of it if the image was clearer. Psyke definitely could.

Kraco, why did you mess with my posts but you left assertn's border-smashing image intact? Is that mod emeritus bias?

Psyke
Tue, 01-12-2010, 08:26 PM
It really does look like washing or care instructions, since it talks about quality, high temperature, and chemicals such as bleach & Zirconium (I had to check that one out). Can't make out some of the kanji though....

Animeniax
Tue, 02-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Can anyone help me translate "when was the last time you returned to Tokyo?"?
I think it's "Tokyo e kaerimashita saishuukai itsu desu ka."

Is this ok for a beginning level speaker?

Sapphire
Tue, 02-09-2010, 10:50 PM
I'd say:

最近の東京に帰った時はいつですか。
さいきんのとうきょうにかえったときはいつですか。
saikin no toukyou ni kaetta toki wa itsu desu ka.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 02-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Tokyo e saigo ni kaetta/modotta toki wa itsu desu ka.

"Saikin" means "recently", so it does not really fit the sentence.

Animeniax
Tue, 02-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys. If I was saying this in a polite conversation with a sempai, would it be ok to use the "ta" form of kaeru? Isn't that for plain form or informal talk?

Also, if they respond that it's been a while, is it ok to reply "hisashiburi desu ne". Is this appropriate use of that term, or is the word more for <it's been a while since two people have seen each other?>

Buffalobiian
Tue, 02-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys. If I was saying this in a polite conversation with a sempai, would it be ok to use the "ta" form of kaeru? Isn't that for plain form or informal talk?

Sempai?

Senpai!

/rage

Sapphire
Tue, 02-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Honorific conjugation is completely different (Yookoso book 2 chapter 5ish) so I wouldn't bother with that. I'm barely learning it lol.

Other than that plain form in the middle of a sentence is fine because it helps the sentence flow better.

I understand "saigo" as last with the connotation of having a sense of finality while "saikin" having the sense of latest/recency ....is it different from this?

Edit: Or saigo+ni modifies it to latest? :<

Buffalobiian
Tue, 02-09-2010, 11:26 PM
I understand "saigo" as last with the connotation of having a sense of finality while "saikin" having the sense of latest/recency ....is it different from this?

I've always understood "Saigo" as "Last" and "Saikin" as recently.

Sapphire
Tue, 02-09-2010, 11:29 PM
You're right. Example sentences have proven me wrong. Anyone want to proof my blog? @_@

shinta|hikari
Tue, 02-09-2010, 11:52 PM

Also, if they respond that it's been a while, is it ok to reply "hisashiburi desu ne". Is this appropriate use of that term, or is the word more for <it's been a while since two people have seen each other?>

When using other sentences to modify nouns, the simple form of the verb is always used, like in the case of kaetta, which modifies toki. This does not make it any less respectful, and is in fact the correct way to construct the sentence.

Hisashiburi desu is generally said when the people talking have not seen each other in a while, but the word Hisashiburi actually means not having done something in a while. An example would be "Hisashiburi ni katsu sando wo tsukuttemimashita." which means "I tried making a katsu sandwich after not having done so in a long time." Of course, this sounds really formal because I intentionally completed the words to clearly show what I mean.

Sapphire
Wed, 02-10-2010, 12:06 AM
O-hisashiburi desu ne
Shibaraku desu ne

Both mean it's been awhile since we last met (long time no see), the latter is less formal I believe.

My sensei told me this today, and she also added "genkidatta" - have you been well?

Sensei: Hisashiburi desu ne
Student: Hai, O-hisashiburi desu ne.
Sensei: Genki-datta?
Me: Rambles in extremely impolite/gramatically incorrect speech because she still has a lapse in real time written vs. spoken XD

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-20-2010, 08:52 AM
I need help working out these care instructions for a plushie I have (click for bigger image):

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/6510/0012od.jpg (http://img153.imageshack.us/i/001al.jpg/)

What I've made out so far are:

Target Age: 7 yr olds and up.

Attention...
Protector's instructions?.....

-something about the dangers of accidental ingestion and not letting less-than-3yr olds touch it

-changes shape and texture if put in fire?

- maybe something to with violent handling

-Keep it from water, sweat, direct sunlight and ultraviolent rays as discolouration may occur.

- ....merchandise.................(dry cleaning?)

(PAPER) .....................Main Materials.........something et cetera .......MADE IN CHINA

shinta|hikari
Sun, 03-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Attention:
For guardians (of the children I assume), please read.

1) You got this one right.
2) It will change in shape and texture, and can also be the cause of a fire so please do not place near a heat source.
3) Please do not handle roughly as it may cause unforeseen injury.
4) You got this one right. I'm impressed.
5) This merchandise cannot be washed/laundered.

Main material: Polyester Acrylic

Animeniax
Tue, 03-23-2010, 08:32 PM
What does 今度のたん生日 translate to? I understand the first two characters are "at this time" or "right now", but the rest I'm having trouble deciphering.

Psyke
Wed, 03-24-2010, 09:50 AM
It means "the birthday this time". 今度 means this time, or this round, and たん生日, or 誕生日, means birthday.

Animeniax
Wed, 03-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Ahh I see. Makes sense since we are learning about "I want", so they are asking what you want for your birthday. Thanks for the help!

shinta|hikari
Wed, 03-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Kondo can also mean "next" or "next time" Still, since it is about a birthday, the meaning shouldn't change much.

Sapphire
Mon, 11-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Anyone know Russian (http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2024/wmms202mkvsnapshot24442.png)?

Killa-Eyez
Wed, 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
It's been pretty quiet in here since over a year...

Please, allow me.

Moral of the story: don't use online dictionaries, they suck and are unabe to respect grammar.

'Kay, lesson learned. :)

Guess not. Used google translate and Romaji.org to translate my nickname to Japanese ("Killa-Eyez" to the actual meanings in Kanji and not just japanese engrish written in katakana).

I came up with: "Me-Satsu" for romaji epicness (Akuma much?). The Kanji I used was 目-殺.

I'm probably totally wrong with my translation but, for sheer epicness, please let it be right!

What do you guys say?

darkshadow
Wed, 04-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Satsu no Me, "killing eyes".
Me satsu would be more akin to "eye murder". Akuma says "messatsu" btw, which means something like "annihilation".

Killa-Eyez
Wed, 04-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Ollrighty. Thanks for the quick reply!

I know what he says, it's written all over the game. But they sound alike.

And I also think it's supposed to be "Metsu satsu" but pronounced popularly as "Messatsu". Not sure though.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Original Webpage: http://www.audiostyle.net/archives/51877612.html

----------------------

最初はWASAPIが凄いので異次元の音がするのかと思ったのですが、uLilithや、Foobar20 00、Winamp (http://www.audiostyle.net/archives/51876997.html)など他のWASAPI対応プレーヤーではココまでのブレイクスルーしたような 音にはなりません。それと、WASAPIと比べ情報量が落ちるDirectSoundに切り替えた場合でも 、基本的にこのプレーヤー特有のキャラクターは残り、(WASAPIモードよりはフラットですが)他プレー ヤーと比べてかなりメリハリの利いた大袈裟な音がします。まぁそれでもv2.1迄のDirectSound やASIOの音質でしたら、ONKYO DAC-1000 (http://www.audiostyle.net/archives/51876396.html)やHD音楽配信&DSD配信 (http://ck.jp.ap.valuecommerce.com/servlet/referral?sid=2200034&pid=880153834)との相性の良さ以外を除けばは、エントリで音質について敢えてここまで取り上 げなかったかもですけれど・・・。(注:DAC-1000のドライバ (http://www.jp.onkyo.com/support/audiovisual/download/driver/p3000r_dac1000.htm)ではASIOがサポートされています)

----------------------

Does that last part definitely say the Onkyo DAC-1000's driver supports ASIO? I've faked some details on Onkyo's domestic technical-help-form and asked them about it, but maybe the English freaked them out a bit..

darkshadow
Mon, 05-07-2012, 03:06 PM
I can't read any of the kanji but the start says something along the lines of supporting up to v2.1.
The part between the parentheses however says: DAC-100 no doraiba de wa ASIO ga sapouto sa rete imasu, which should translate to DAC-1000 supports the ASIO driver.

But better wait for a second opinion ;P.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Yes. The part in parenthesis does.

Does that last part definitely say the Onkyo DAC-1000's driver supports ASIO? I've faked some details on Onkyo's domestic technical-help-form and asked them about it, but maybe the English freaked them out a bit..

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Cool. Thanks guys.

Buying imported stuff's a bit of a bitch, but this one looks like it should be worth it.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-10-2012, 04:34 AM
Thank you for using our products.

Unfortunately, the PC driver for the DAC-1000 doesn't support
ASIO via USB.

Thank you very much for your kind understanding.

Yours sincerely,

ONKYO SOUND & VISION CORPORATION
- ASIA SUPPORT-
e-mail:support@intl.onkyo.com

Hmm...

Ah well, paid for already. WASAPI-exclusive should work through it, or else I could just keep the sound card I've been having.

Damn you nonetheless, 3rd party misinforming site!

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Why is it that the Yamanote Line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamanote_Line) in Tokyo is written without the "no"?

Animeniax
Sat, 12-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Why is it that the Yamanote Line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamanote_Line) in Tokyo is written without the "no"?

Yeah that's peculiar. First I thought it was just a wiki error (plenty of those I'm sure). Probably one of those weird rules of Japanese writing that allows the omission of non-essential characters in some words.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Do you mean the kanji writing or hiragana for Yamanote?

If I had to pick between the two, I'd say the kanji.

Animeniax
Sat, 12-01-2012, 01:38 PM
If I had to pick between the two, I'd say the kanji.

Yeah I saw what you mean, it's the kanji. Yama is the first character, te is the second, and sen is the third. Where's the no??

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Yeah I saw what you mean, it's the kanji. Yama is the first character, te is the second, and sen is the third. Where's the no??

no isn't written, but it's pronounced. I don't get why it's left out.

Animeniax
Sat, 12-01-2012, 11:01 PM
no isn't written, but it's pronounced. I don't get why it's left out.

Right, I just think it's one of those quirks of Japanese culture where they somehow justify omissions and rule violations as "sho ga nai." I think it's a tell so they can recognize locals from foreigners.