PDA

View Full Version : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

masamuneehs
Thu, 07-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei (さよなら 絶望 先生, Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei "Goodbye, Despair Teacher") is a manga by Kōji Kumeta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C5%8Dji_Kumeta), serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump. It is a comedy about a teacher who takes all aspects of life, language and culture in the most negative light possible.

Nozomu Itoshiki (糸色 望, Itoshiki Nozomu)The main character, a high school teacher. When his last name is written horizontally, it looks like Zetsubō (絶望, Zetsubō "Despair"), which fits his extremely paranoid, pessimistic, depressive and suicidal mindset.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Episode 01 - a.f.k - avi (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2001.avi.torrent)

won the Kodansha Manga Award for the 'Shounen' category in 2006.

This one caught my eye because of the premise. I'm also happy because a.f.k does good work.

edit - watched it today, and laughed out loud a few times. Took me awhile to get used to the characters. The two dynamic opposites aren't my cup of tea (spot on interaction between them, though), but the humor really is. I loved the silly naming of trees and Zetsubo going on about naming rights ("And one day, even Mt. Fuji will one day becom Japan's #1 Mt. Shounen Magazine")

That freakin head creeps me out! Some serious fanservice, for the lolicons too...

I like this show. It's got a good style. Lots of little, small funny things that you sometimes need to pause for (the chalkboard: Watch anime in a brightly lit room, with a dark heart" a reference to the Gundam Haruhi dance? Rei Ayanami girl

Some of the 'despair lists' were funny too, noticed the mangaka appeared on there as if he's a member of the class.

Fuura's name "Kafuka" seems to be an ironic twist on the author, Franz Kafka, who is one of the most depressing authors ever...

Lucifus
Fri, 07-13-2007, 11:37 PM
WoW! I absolutly love this show! Definatly sticking with it. The first episode did its job alright, i'm hooked. Already cant wait for the next episode. The characters are awesome.:D :cool: Most pleased.

oyabun
Sat, 07-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Sounds great, I'll give it a shot

kooshi
Sat, 07-14-2007, 12:49 AM
WoW! I absolutly love this show! Definatly sticking with it. The first episode did its job alright, i'm hooked. Already cant wait for the next episode. The characters are awesome.:D :cool: Most pleased.

In COMPLETE agreement! Absolutely amazingly hilarious!

Yukimura
Sat, 07-14-2007, 01:11 AM
I don't know about this one. It was really entertaining in bursts but I found myself waiting for it to be over more than really enjoying it. Having to pause to read all the random black board comments was a bit of a bother as well.

masamuneehs
Sat, 07-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Having to pause to read all the random black board comments was a bit of a bother as well.

After I paused about three or four times and saw there ws going to be tons of those blackboard comments, I decided to just let the episode run and then went back at the end and read the comments.

Zetsubo was a little annoying towards the end with him trying to depress the children's hopes and dreams, but I really enjoyed his other tirade (naming rights and the baseball team). The up-beat girl, much to my surprise, kept me entertained and not wanting to throttle her (maybe because they poke fun at her?) and that was strange because I almost always hate that type of character... Supporting characters are all pretty good, even if boiler-plate archetypes, I especially like Receding Hairline boy and Cellphone girl.

I'm just glad people watched this show! I thought it was going to be who knows how long (until the next release) before I could post here again...

kenren
Sat, 07-14-2007, 10:35 AM
I got addicted to this anime already..this is the exact feeling i got when i started Bokurano. Cheers Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei!

David75
Sat, 07-14-2007, 12:23 PM
I gave it a try.

I wonder where it goes... I'll try ep 2 I guess.

I wasn't very pleased with the suicide thing from your reviews, but I give it a try thanks to the humor reported...
Fan service and the guy's face were annoying, as the chalk-bord writings... so I'm not different from you guys :D

Is the teacher a relative from the guy that ressembles him in Get Backers ?

thanks for this neat anime

Raven
Tue, 07-17-2007, 05:17 AM
I gave it a go, I found it... ok. I'm having a bit of trouble getting used to the art style, it's not my kind of thing. I didn't really find it all that funny either, but that's just me. Somewhat enjoyable.

But, I'm not one to judge an entire series from the first episode so I'll continue to watch for now.

animus
Tue, 07-17-2007, 08:06 AM
I thought it was decent and a bit quirky, but I sat there wondering for most of the episode to myself "How did this win an award, albeit a shounen one?"

masamuneehs
Wed, 07-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Episode 02 - a.f.k (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2002.avi.torrent)

Yukimura
Wed, 07-18-2007, 06:23 PM
I liked this ep much more than the first. All these zany charachters concentrated in one place are like a big explosion, it takes a bit to get used to it but it's full of all kinds of beauty. Plus all the misc refereances to other popular shows were well done. Notably Lucky Channel on the Hikkikomori girl's TV and the angst filled Orange-kun on the board.

oyabun
Wed, 07-18-2007, 09:35 PM
stalkers are scary...

Lucifus
Wed, 07-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Oh my god, I absolutly love this show. The second episode put the first one to shame! That was so funny. First time i've ever seen such madness. The characters are the best!:D :cool: Very very pleased. Others, if your reading, check out this show.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Heh, when everyone was dissing this show after only watching the 1st episode, I really wanted to cut in and say otherwise, but most of the stuff that I really liked about it was based on the 2nd episode which I watched raw (therefore I wasnt allowed to). Im glad a lot of people share my sentiments after the 2nd episode.

2 words to describe this show - Subtle Insanity.

oyabun
Wed, 07-18-2007, 10:34 PM
And oh btw, you guys can ask shintahikari about stalkers. He had one before! :D

kenren
Thu, 07-19-2007, 04:54 AM
Woah..this series amazes me..
well, our sensei here got himself some fans.. the long chain of stalkers really made me laugh. =D

animus
Thu, 07-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Hahaha, on 17:38 there's a reference to Code Geass on the blackboard.

BananaFob
Thu, 07-19-2007, 09:47 AM
There's also the Manabi Straight! reference at 17:01.

eat_toast
Mon, 07-23-2007, 11:01 AM
This.... this is the funniest shit ever made. I knew it was going to be good when the intro song had the entire Yoshinoya rant in it.

Btw any info on the OP and ED songs or artists? They are catchy as hell.

masamuneehs
Mon, 07-23-2007, 05:14 PM
i finally got around to watching episode two, and I really liked it. the characters and small storylines are all hilarious, and I'm really liking the extreme coloring style. The animation is fittingly freaky too...

the music also cracks me up. And I'll be also looking for the OP and ED, as those songs are freaking awesome! (so glad that the OPs have different tirades in them)

I lol'd a couple times at episode two, mostly at the stalker eeriness and Fuura trying to "seal" the hikkikomori in her room. Also, when Zetsubou started giving that girl all those compliments and told her to let him know if she ever wanted to die... so they could be "suiciide travel partners"...

I feel that this show should start with a disclaimer: Much acid was dropped in the production of this episode...

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-24-2007, 04:06 AM
The sheer lack of common sense mixed with the serious expression of zetsubou sensei sells this for me, as well as the cute student characters (especially the Hikkikomori girl)

KoKo37
Sat, 07-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Episode 03 - a.f.k (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2003.avi.torrent)

shinta|hikari
Sat, 07-28-2007, 05:28 AM
Another girl that loves our depressed sensei. This is really turning out to be a harem, almost Negi-like. Still, the extremely weird blonde was really insane, and insanely funny too.

animus
Sat, 07-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Haha, they threw the DBZ fusion dance into the mix.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 07-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I fell off my chair when I saw that. I was wondering what the hell they were doing, and all of a sudden, the final finger connection move made it obvious.

Lucifus
Sat, 07-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Oh my glorius christ. This show is Madness incarnate.

Refigerators, Stoves, Bicycles, Babies! Put that back where you found it!~
The DBZ fusion dance was so utterly randomly. Lmao. Court room sketch.

So love the characters. Wipes tear away...:D

masamuneehs
Sat, 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM
the chalkboard was 'ON FIRE' this episode!!! Alot of really funny things up there. Took shots at Haruhi, Eva, Death Note, NHK. This is like the anime version of Family Guy, but the references aren't the core components... and they all seem to revolve around anime and Japan.

I love the 'foreigner' characters. The 'bilingual personality disorder' is hilarious and the illegal immigrant girl was so funny (was wondering what the start of the episode was all about...) Stalker girl and Kafuka were great in this episode as well.

Absolute hilarious insanity. I feel like there's so much packed into each of these episodes. It really deserves to be watched more than once (just once to catch all the rapid chalkboard jokes)

Yukimura
Sat, 07-28-2007, 08:14 PM
So funny, I've found it's easier to just watch the episode twice, once for the story and once for the black board. My favorite black board line this ep "Use your (moe) drill to break through the heavens". Then there always "If you don't shut up I'll introduce your mouth to my fist" just plain hilarious.

And I can't believe she actually sued.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 07-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Thinking about it, what country were those immigrants from? If they are migrating to Japan in such numbers, and look kind of mexican/latino, and come from Asia, I only have one country in mind though.

David75
Sun, 07-29-2007, 07:08 AM
The sensei has a great problem with money, that's its main personal disorder... that explains why he is in the show :D
Nice zoo they are creating, with each character having their own specific disorders :D

kenren
Sun, 07-29-2007, 07:53 AM
..episode 3 really made my day..
after talking about how nice japan can be.. finally you see someone committing suicide right in the middle of the park =)

David75
Sun, 07-29-2007, 08:57 AM
..episode 3 really made my day..
after talking about how nice japan can be.. finally you see someone committing suicide right in the middle of the park =)
I wonder if they'll go on mild rants about their own country... Japan has things not so good, like any country in the world...
But at least, they rant with quite an happy mood :D

masamuneehs
Sun, 07-29-2007, 03:57 PM
But at least, they rant with quite an happy mood :D
Yeah, that's one of the things I really like. The rants don't come off as long-winded or annoying or anything like that. They're just funny and make you sort of chuckle.

I just assumed the illegales were Mexican, but there's really no hard proof of that... The girl's name seems to be 'Maria' before she adopted/bought her Japanese name, which at least implies some kind of mostly Christian country of origin...

Was the guy who sold his name the receding hairline/invisible guy? It's funny, because there are a few shots taken from above (will find the times later 8:18 is most prevalent, 8:22) and in each of them he grows fainter and fainter until he's finally not there at all. And next day Maria is in the class. I hope they don't get rid of that guy, as he makes me laugh

edit - good god, there's even a South Park reference in there! The creators must have a ton of "knowledge" (sometimes read "trivia facts") about all sorts of animation...

also good: "Gourmet? More like fat ass.."
"Forget academic background, you're just plain stupid."
and a variation of the "believe that I believe in you" Gurren Lagann line

David75
Mon, 07-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Yeah, that's one of the things I really like. The rants don't come off as long-winded or annoying or anything like that. They're just funny and make you sort of chuckle.

I just assumed the illegales were Mexican, but there's really no hard proof of that... The girl's name seems to be 'Maria' before she adopted/bought her Japanese name, which at least implies some kind of mostly Christian country of origin...

I would assume the illegals are Brasilian, that would better explain crisp hair.
And that's also because Brasil is the country were most of the "foreign japanese" come from. Also the first country of japanese Diaspora, due to WWII.

Maybe we'll know more someday.

c u

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-30-2007, 06:21 AM
I also considered the name Maria, but forgot to write it down on the list of clues. This point actually seals it. There is only one Christian nation in Asia I believe, and that country sends a lot of migrants to Japan, and the physical characteristics fit as well.

Can anyone guess?

David75
Mon, 07-30-2007, 08:24 AM
I also considered the name Maria, but forgot to write it down on the list of clues. This point actually seals it. There is only one Christian nation in Asia I believe, and that country sends a lot of migrants to Japan, and the physical characteristics fit as well.

Can anyone guess?

Philippines?
I admitt I had to Google it ;) though I liked the idea of Brazil, that may add some samba (and with luck brazilian esoterism) to the show :D

Mae
Thu, 08-02-2007, 10:44 PM
I just picked up this series and I've really enjoyed it so far. It's sort of stylized, but overall I like the different look, and the dark humor appeals to me, especially Sensei's bizarre reasons for despair and his student's equally insane optimism. A quirky show, but appealing to me. Maybe not for everyone. In fact, I wonder who they think their target audience is anyways?

It's been a while since I've found a comedy that I've really liked, but now I've got this AND Gintama, two really nice ones. :cool:

Foomanchew24
Sun, 08-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Episode 4 out....
http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2004.avi.torrent

Yukimura
Sun, 08-05-2007, 02:09 AM
Lol @ the opening sequence yet! Japanese rope bondage FTW.

NM
Sun, 08-05-2007, 02:50 AM
I'm also on the Zetsubou bandwagon now and I gotta say that after watching episode 2, I'm sticking with this anime. I was dying at the end of that episode with the long line of stalkers! Still need to catch up on episodes 3 and 4 though but this looks to be like it'll be a fun series. And the animation style is different but I kinda like it.

Lucifus
Sun, 08-05-2007, 02:57 AM
Hahaha! Oh my God I want to kill the chick at 12:16. Shes reading some gay azz Sanji x Zoro fanfiction. xD

Loved the opening. That tail fetish...is weird...

Hahahaha, I love that line. *Wipes tear from his eyes*

"The internet has left me in despair!"

Foomanchew24
Mon, 08-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Just finished up ep 3. Surprised the men in the bathroom didnt freek out when the girl was in there with the teacher. Japanese men must be more comfortable peeing with some one behinde them than americans.

Also we didnt have to see the Mangaka's face everytime there was fanservice so thats a nice bonus, thats the only thing I don't care too much for in this anime. We see his face randomly in other places, we dont need to see it during fanservice too, he must think highly of himself unless they just threw that in for the anime.

Xrlderek
Tue, 08-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Got around to watch episode 4... Ichigo 1000% and the torture examples killed me. Especially the one with the eraser, and the one with stacking books on top of the girl. Great anime.

David75
Wed, 08-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Desert Crushers:
One Member Alone Killed an entire Platoon with only one volume of [Kimagure] Orange Road :D :D

And I like the Pikachu Tail too :D

masamuneehs
Wed, 08-08-2007, 05:29 PM
freaking awesome episode. The Rei Ayanami bandage girl turns out to have a tail fetish and everything with Mail-Mail was damn funny as well. Reminds me a bit of some of our forum goers...

The new animation for the OP confirms two things I've long thought about this show: It is, somewhere deep down, a harem anime (but it's so funny i can forgive it for that). And, you have to be batshit insane to be hired to work on this...

The Final Fantasy thing at the end gave me a chuckle. I also liked how Zetsubo ruins the guys reputation. Text messages were hilarious. Exorcism, Out of Range and Rambo cellphone batteries also got a laugh out of me.

More characters include: yaoi fangirl and super ordinary girl. So far each character has had roughly half an episode dedicated to them (although Fuura and Zetsubo had all of episode one together): Hikkikomori girl, Stalker, Bi-Cultural Returnee, Illegal Immigrant, Bandage Girl, Mail-Mail. The Couneslor, Fuura and Zetsubo naturally appear alot, and they have other characters chiming in from time to time.

At this pace I can't imagine this show will be very long, unless they just keep throwing new characters at us... I wonder if they'll ever focus on any of the male students, which we've seen a few of, but very fleetingly... it'd at least give them a couple more episodes, but I sorta doubt it will happen...

poopdeville
Tue, 08-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Just watched the first episode. I really liked it. Though the themes are obviously very different, it reminds me of Kare Kano and FLCL a lot. Thanks for recommending it, masamuneehs.

eat_toast
Wed, 08-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Episode 5 (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2005.avi.torrent).

Yukimura
Wed, 08-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Lol another crazy head trip. Being a rabid yuri lover my favorite part would have to be the scenes with the Hikkikomori girl and the counselor.

masamuneehs
Thu, 08-16-2007, 01:18 PM
weird episode. way too many quick flashes... i can't imagine anyone actually having to watch this solely on a live broadcast... I like how Zetsubo disappeared when he was detox'ed, or rather pinned to the bottom...

i can't tell what the hell is going on in the way of an overall plot line... we also didn't get introduced to any new characters, for the first time. Still, I laughed a couple times, especially with the numbers and at the end when the girls all went back to being 'toxic' (except ordinary girl)

David75
Sat, 08-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Same as masa for this ep.

This show is a collection of pure non sens most of the time, with a lot of quick scenes from anything...
Yet it's fun and and quick paced, plus the art is as sharp as most of the nonsensical statements :D
50 yen person :eek:
Perfect Girl (Perfect Girl rental is expensive :D)

This show is about Despair and Suicide, and although this background is quite agressive, I can't help myself ROFL

c u

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Its not about despair and suicide. Thats just the comedy tool they use to deliver a new style of comedy, to the newer audience who can actually appreciate it. If all is stripped away, it is actually a harem comedy show, much like Negima (only instead of action and magic, they put in parodies and insanity).

masamuneehs
Sat, 08-18-2007, 11:50 PM
you bring up a good subject: what is this show actually about?

The one thing that is consistent is that the characters are very extreme personalities, almost as if each represents a way of thinking or some overall type of personality. What's interesting is that alot of them are very recent (and i hesitate to use this word) 'archetypes'. You have a split personality, bi-cultural returnee, an illegal immigrant with a heart of gold, a shy but secretly evil girl who only communicates through e-mail, a yaoi fangirl... these 'types' are all very modern, even though they're also accompanied by classic types like Zetsubo (absolute pessimist), Fuura (absolute optimist) and the Control Freak Perfectionist girl...

Part of me says that the whole purpose of this show is to have viewers laugh at ourselves and the world around us. The characters are so numerous and varied that we can't help but see a bit of ourselves in at least a few of them. The cultural references, especially the references to other anime and manga, also indicate to me that the creator is trying to get us to laugh at the entire stratum of sub-culture that is anime and manga and viewers.

Again, it's all about the modern world. Zetsubo is put into despair not by traditional things such as "greed" or "misleading women", but almost always by things that are new to this age: naming rights, the internet, returning students from foreign exchange programs...

but I still can't tell: is the point some kind of disjointed critique of modern society? Or is it just to make people laugh at it, maybe not take it so seriously? Is it about the comedy or about the twisted people? ... the jury is still out on this one...

edit - rewatched episode 5, saw a couple of those quick flashes... a few jabs at Devil May Cry, a shot at China hosting the Olympics (on list of things people do not becoming of their status: hosting the Olympics in a country where 90% of all executions take place),

animus
Sat, 09-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Episode 6 XviD - Bure (http://www.datorrents.com/download.asp?id=26503&name=%5BBure%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2006%20%5B704x400%20XviD%5D%5BMP3%5D%5B59790959%5 D.avi.torrent)
Episode 6 h264 - Bure (http://www.datorrents.com/download.asp?id=26502&name=%5BBure%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2006%20%5B704x400%20h264%5D%5BVorbis%5D%5B8ABEBB7 3%5D.mkv.torrent)

I guess a.f.k. have just had less time since school started to sub stuff? Their releases of Lucky Star have been slow, and no release of this series for a month yet so far.

Yukimura
Sat, 09-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Definitely lacked the a.f.k attention to detail but the ep was still quite funny without most of the signs. One thing I didn't relly get, why does Chiri (the serious girl) like the teacher so much?

NM
Sat, 09-15-2007, 05:53 PM
That's what I'd like to know. I thought the only one who liked Zetsubou was the stalker girl and the creepy girl who keeps her hair covering her eyes. In any case, this was another enjoyable episode. I laughed so hard when Fuura wrote Zetsubou's brothers name sideways and it comes out as Dr. Death. :D

And cheers to making fun of the normal girl again!

As for the Bure group, they were...ok. There's no opening or ending karaoke but the editing and quality was good. It would've been nice if they translated all the signs like a.f.k. does but I think their team is new at the fansubbing business. Their subs are watchable though and they'll have to do for now until a.f.k. ever gets back on subbing or some other known group does it.

masamuneehs
Mon, 09-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Guerrand - Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei - Episode 6 (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=2094)

a new challenger! Let's hope they sub the written stuff...

edit - Far superior to the release by 'Bure'. Karaoke, most of the written gags translated (i wonder if there even were any chalkboard ramblings in this episode...). I'm going with these guys for 'speed-sensei' right now.

Quite simply put, some of the shit in Bure's subs did not make any sense. The Guerrand subs at least make several points understandable, such as why Rin got mad at Kafuka, what she yelled, and the 'Miai NOT established'.

I choked and downloaded Bure's release. It really isn't the same show without the chalkboard gags...

I really liked them making fun of the normal girl, and the energy drink commercial (although they are getting a little out of control with all the random cuts / fake promos). The episode itself wasn't the best. I thought it was funny how they all got to the same place, but I really think they could have made Dr. Death a bit more interesting, not to mention I was let down by the lack of samurai /yakuza badassness on the part of Zetsubo's sister.

also, when Kafuka's hair did the Alfalfa 'spoing!' i lol'd. But who was she referring to when she said they had an expert at looking? I assumed it was the Stalker Girl, but then the Forehead Chick opened that third eye...

Also, i think it would have been more believable to have the Foreign Personality girl change into her timid Japanese persona and have her chase Zetsubo around along with Stalker, as I hadn't imagined that the Forehead Chick was in love with him either... then again, it is harem...

David75
Thu, 09-20-2007, 03:01 PM
It's funny how I'm getting addicted to such a show, with absolutely no ounce of sanity or scenario :D
I was quite depressed this release took so much time, now I feel much better.

I can't really find words for why I like this show... but I do quite a lot

Yukimura
Sat, 09-22-2007, 02:39 AM
Syonara Zetsubou Sensei - 07 (h264) - [Bure-Tsuki] (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=2152)
Syonara Zetsubou Sensei - 07 (XviD) - [Bure-Tsuki] (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=2153)

Bure-Tsuki >>> Bure In case you're harboring doubts.

animus
Sat, 09-22-2007, 09:20 AM
The first half was decent I guess, but the second half with all the Mikoshi's was wayyyyyy to drawn out but was redeemed a bit with the Normal Girl Mikoshi.

masamuneehs
Mon, 09-24-2007, 10:28 AM
it was infinitely better than the first Bure release.

I enjoyed it alot, especially the convention and doujin scenes. The mikoshi did start losing steam at a certain point, and they could have done something a bit more clever with it (like the Exchange Student defending how great it is that all these things be 'celebrated' in public). I still thought it was oodles better than episode 6.

masamuneehs
Tue, 10-09-2007, 02:20 PM
despair no more! even though this is coming from ANN, the fact that it's from a reliable mag makes my heart sing!

Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei's 2nd Season in 2008 Confirmed
Issue 45 (on sale September 9) of Kodansha (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=88)'s Weekly Shonen Magazine (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6457) has confirmed (http://www.shonenmagazine.com/php/magazine.php?sbt=1&ptype=1) that the television anime adaptation of Kōji Kumeta's (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=22407) Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=7491) will have a second season in Japan. The high school comedy centers around a pathologically depressed teacher who somehow finds the will to deal with a class of oddball students. The first 12 episodes ran from July to September of this year on Chiba TV (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=1497) and other stations, and the second season is planned for the beginning of 2008. Ten volumes of the manga, which began in 2005, are currently in print. Source: Ultimatum (http://d.hatena.ne.jp/oroshi/20071009)
Now if we could only get some people to fansub this thing...

NM
Tue, 10-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Freakin' awesome! I was disappointed when I saw the RAW up and it said "End" on the file name. More Zetsubou goodness on the way! :)

And seriously...what are the fansub groups doing? I know schools have started up and all but there's been 0 releases for Zetsubou.

Yukimura
Wed, 10-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - 08 - [Bure-Tsuki] MKV (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=2381)

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - 08 - [Bure-Tsuki] AVI (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=2382)

masamuneehs
Tue, 10-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Original Official Sound Track (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20O riginal%20Soundtrack.zip.torrent)

haven't gotten it yet, but i'm hoping the ED song is on here (in a full version...) Not supposed to be released until tomorrow, but... Japan IS in the future... so...

Yukimura
Tue, 10-23-2007, 10:59 PM
I can't believe no one posted these, I know some of you must have been waiting with baited breath...
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - 06 - [a.f.k] (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2006.avi.torrent)
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - 07 - [a.f.k] (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2007.avi.torrent)
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - 08 - [a.f.k] (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2008.avi.torrent)

Yukimura
Wed, 10-31-2007, 11:08 PM
Sayanora Zetsubou Sensei - 09 - [a.f.k] (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2009.avi.torrent)

ZETSUBOU!

David75
Thu, 11-01-2007, 03:04 AM
Sayanora Zetsubou Sensei - 09 - [a.f.k] (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2009.avi.torrent)

ZETSUBOU!

Arigato, demo, zetsubo deshita!

Xrlderek
Thu, 11-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Nice episode. "Akagi x Washizu", heh.

masamuneehs
Thu, 11-01-2007, 03:49 PM
for some reason i wasn't really into this episode... reminded me a bit too much of the previous episode with the criticism...

a reference to Legend of Galactic Heroes at 7:30 made my day. Also thought the kid was pretty cool, not to mention some of the other random gags and references.

Lucifus
Tue, 11-20-2007, 01:04 AM
I...I am not drowning in despair. This is not right, I need my dosage of Despair, what the hell are the fs groups doing?! What am I to do without despair? Be happy?

David75
Wed, 11-21-2007, 01:55 AM
I...I am not drowning in despair. This is not right, I need my dosage of Despair, what the hell are the fs groups doing?! What am I to do without despair? Be happy?

Like you I wonder what happens with this show which airing finished a while ago...
Maybe the subbers all were in despair and hanged themselves?

Or maybe it's just a really high paced show, with quite a lot of references and text to sub, which requires a lot of efforts so that the fansub is of quality.
I hope that the raws are all avaible too (but I think I saw the whole batch somewhere, which is when I knew the show was over)

David75
Fri, 11-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Anonymous released ep 10
http://www.mininova.org/get/1019824

Stopped watching after 5 minutes because texts on chalkboard is not translated and is part of the fun.
So I'll have to wait a little (I hope) more.

New OP, wonder if the ED is new too.

Yukimura
Sun, 12-02-2007, 05:42 AM
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - 11 - [Anonymous[ (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=6375)

I guess only purists and me watch this show then. Even without the signs it's awesome and hilarious.

masamuneehs
Mon, 12-03-2007, 08:37 AM
man, the 11th episode was hilarious! It was weird to see some stronger sexual innuendo, along with a Zetsbuou sensei who seemed more and more stuck to life. Also, the ending was crazy. I mean, you just don't expect a show like this to ever get serious... and then they throw an episode ending like that at you... I assume everything goes back to normal in the next episode, but...

kooshi
Sun, 12-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Episode 10 by a.f.k. (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2010.avi.torrent)

David75
Tue, 01-01-2008, 05:01 AM
EP 11 by a.f.k. Xvid.
http://www.mininova.org/get/1077258

We'll have a second season too if I'm correct:
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Dainiki
http://www.starchild.co.jp/special/zetsubou2/

Yukimura
Tue, 01-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - 12 - [AnimeLink] (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=3687)

The comment on thei torrent is "Subbed just for fun, does not reflect groups quality" which makes me somewhat suspicious.

I personally watched it with this sub file (http://no-info.no-ip.info:6224/%5bmoyism%5d%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%20-%2012%20(RAW).ass.torrent) and this raw (http://www.datorrents.com/download.asp?id=26736&name=%5Bmoyism%5D%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei%2 0-%2012%20%28RAW%29.avi.torrent) from moyism. The signs and other extras were mostly translated and it all made sense.

This was a pretty weird last episode...they introduced 2 new charachters and essentially swept the end of episode 11 under the rug. Still, it was Zetsubou filled.

Note: Mayo may be creepy as hell, but she's also hilarious.

David75
Fri, 01-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Ep 12 by A.F.K.
http://www.mininova.org/get/1083218

masamuneehs
Fri, 01-04-2008, 07:36 PM
well, it's over... for now...

they sure didn't follow up on that preview teaser from episode 11 (with Itoshiki being in surgery... shame, I'd have thought that a series like this would have been stellar if it had a very serious, introspective episode as the final one...) I was very surprised to see them introduce new characters in episode 12, not to mention focus on them. I'd have liked to have gotten more backstory on them... it got old after awhile, especially with the guilt complex...

i'm so glad I stumbled across this one

David75
Sat, 01-05-2008, 04:45 AM
well, it's over... for now...

they sure didn't follow up on that preview teaser from episode 11 (with Itoshiki being in surgery... shame, I'd have thought that a series like this would have been stellar if it had a very serious, introspective episode as the final one...) I was very surprised to see them introduce new characters in episode 12, not to mention focus on them. I'd have liked to have gotten more backstory on them... it got old after awhile, especially with the guilt complex...

i'm so glad I stumbled across this one

To me, since the second season was planned already, they did that last episode as a normal "inside season" one, rather than a finishing one.
Plus SZS isn't your typical show, isn't it? so basically they just do whatever they want as long as it's funny and interresting, or even embarrassing :D Poor dog :eek:

But I admitt I had a hardtime with that ep, tired from a long day of working, I wasn't really fully in it. So I may have lost track of the fun watching it.
Another point is that it's impossible to have all eps to be equally good. I'm just glad some where incredibly fun and entertaining.

Thanks for telling us about this show in the first place.

David75
Wed, 01-09-2008, 01:09 PM
[a f k ] Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Preface -Zetsubou Girls Collection- (BS11 Ver ) avi (http://www.mininova.org/get/1094005)

Another version for the first ep, or something like that.
Interresting for the Hardcore Lovers os SZS.

I realised that at some point there's a reference to Death Note...

oyabun
Thu, 01-10-2008, 05:57 AM
Is that the first episode of the second season?

David75
Thu, 01-10-2008, 06:26 AM
Is that the first episode of the second season

It's another version (director's cut?) for the first episode of the first season :cool:
It's worth watching for the hardcore lovers.

oyabun
Thu, 01-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Oh i see. I'll check it out then. thanks!

Yukimura
Fri, 01-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - 01 - [a.f.k] (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Zoku%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei %20-%2001.avi.torrent)

The despair continues!

David75
Sat, 01-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - 01 - [a.f.k] (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Zoku%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei %20-%2001.avi.torrent)

The despair continues!
OMG! A.F.K. let us wait so long that now they can start season 2 without interruption :D

*thanks

All in all, very strange first part (before the new OP) and "regular" or should I say "normal" :D (ep meaning+series meaning) second part.

masamuneehs
Mon, 01-14-2008, 04:40 PM
i thought i'd posted here already?

i really liked the first episode of Zoku Zetsubou-sensei. Nami's one of those characters that's grown on me since she first appeared. I like that she does have her own individual personality (even if it is quite normal, ironically because she's seeking attention and wanting to stand out), but is always labeled 'normal'.

Also, the 'haunted school' was funny, especially Kafuka's bizarre song and the hanging babies. The weird intro parody (although I didn't recognize the reference) with Zetsubou and the evil peeing on beaches religion was quite funny.

Right now I like the new ED more than the OP. That art style is really freaky... but somehow seems to fit.

oyabun
Wed, 01-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Yeah me too. I really like the ED. I wish that the art of the whole series is the same as the ED..

masamuneehs
Fri, 01-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Zoku Sayonara Zetsubour Sensei - Episode 02 - a.f.k.- avi (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Zoku%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei %20-%2002.avi.torrent)

Come and get it!

Yukimura
Sat, 01-19-2008, 04:10 AM
A Note for confused fans:

In the first third of the episode all the characters are all speaking gibberish. The subs on the bottom are the translation of the Japanese text which is displayed at the bottom (which seem to parody the things being said on screen instead of actually translating them) . The subs at the top are from translations of the manga chapter that this part of the episode came from. The manga subs actually relate to what happens on the screen, and are the ones you probably should be reading.

David75
Sun, 01-20-2008, 05:35 AM
Well, I found that ep to be extremely boring and tiring.
I wonder what the others think.

In a way, I wonder if the idea for the show isn't now too far stretched... and the fact that is was all new has worn off a bit.

masamuneehs
Sun, 01-20-2008, 03:21 PM
i thought it was a good episode except for the first story with all the jibberish. I like what a.f.k. did with using both the manga translation and the on-screen translation, but they could have made it clearer... That story felt like it had potential to me, but the jibberish and constant Dragonball references just sorta ruined it.

I loved the idea of Zetsubou having a 'spiritual' brother, but he was thrown in it somewhat strangely. The guy who loves the old was the best part, especially when it was revealed they only knew each other for one day.

not the best episode, but they all can't be

David75
Sun, 01-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Well you're right they can't be all good ;)
It was also a bit difficult to track and read everything as I was a bit tired at the time.
Let's say the first part got me tired and I wasn't able to get the second as nicely as I should have.

Yukimura
Tue, 01-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - 02 - [Spoon Subs] (http://a.scarywater.net/spoonsubs/%5BSpoonSubs%5D_Zoku_Sayonara_Zetsubou_Sensei_-_02_%5BACDC95E1%5D.mkv.torrent)

masamuneehs
Tue, 01-29-2008, 07:20 PM
a.f.k. - Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei - Episode 03 - avi (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Zoku%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei %20-%2003.avi.torrent)

hard to follow first part again.
Fanservice. Goddamn.
I really love these characters.
LOL at "dramatic way of saying things"
all in all, i really liked it

David75
Wed, 01-30-2008, 05:11 PM
a.f.k. - Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei - Episode 03 - avi (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Zoku%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei %20-%2003.avi.torrent)

hard to follow first part again.
Fanservice. Goddamn.
I really love these characters.
LOL at "dramatic way of saying things"
all in all, i really liked it
I was to write this.

And add:
Kikuko's voice was a big plus. It added more to the first part. It was certainly a bit hard to follow, but nice too as most of the voice acting was good enough to have clear images of what would happen if animated.
This first part was a bit gay too, with a bit of underage gayness...

The part about Duties was really ringing something inside...

Yukimura
Wed, 02-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - 04 - [a.f.k] (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20Zoku%20Sayonara%20Zetsubou%20Sensei %20-%2004.avi.torrent)

Chiri = Awesome ?

masamuneehs
Wed, 02-20-2008, 03:19 PM
What an episode. I loved the weird aliens and their reactions to how fucked up people are. The theme about 'getting distracted away from the main point' was one of the better ones indeed. (they did sorta overkill it at the end by bringing it back so many times).

I liked that storytelling story. Zetsubou-sensei was fagged out in it, but it was nice to see how this book-worm could work everyone over so well with his great stories.

I didn't like the sexual tension between the real little kid and the Hikki girl. It was well written and all, but I just thought they spent too much time on it for loli fanservice purposes.

All in all though, I really liked it. But it did make me realize that it's been an awfully long time since we've had an episode focus on Kafuka. She's been there and been around alot, but I feel like the episodes have started to focus on a certain block of characters more and more (Zetsubou-sensei, Chiri, Hikki girl).

I think that Itoshiki's "old friend" is one of the funnier minor characters.

Giant Chiri = Awesome

I fixed it for you.

Ziggy
Wed, 02-20-2008, 07:47 PM
What an awesome episode. When Chiri morphed to Giant Chiri I had to think about this one Southpark episode with BARBARA...BARBARA...

David75
Sun, 03-23-2008, 03:22 PM
If anyone interrested, it's possible to get ep 5 and 6 from anon.
Have fun

tystic
Sun, 03-23-2008, 09:00 PM
For those who don't know where to go. There may be a high quality version (not listed here) but I haven't spent my bandwidth on it.

Oh look, the raw for ep 12 is out already.

ep 5 mkv (99mb) (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=13651)
ep 6 mkv (99mb) (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=13931)

David75
Mon, 03-24-2008, 03:22 AM
For those who don't know where to go. There may be a high quality version (not listed here) but I haven't spent my bandwidth on it.

Oh look, the raw for ep 12 is out already.

ep 5 mkv (99mb) (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=13651)
ep 6 mkv (99mb) (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=13931)
Directly quoted from the sub from anon:

Also, for the love of Christ, please someone else pick up this series!

This pretty much explains why the raws are all there (or is there a 13th ep?) and there's no fansub yet.
First season was quite new and entertaining. The beggining of season 2 maybe got a little too far or boring (depending on one's views) so no one cared to sub?

Death BOO Z
Tue, 07-29-2008, 03:42 PM
does someone know what's the quality of [volans] ?
they released 10-13 in both h264 and xvid versions (available at tokyo_tosho)

David75
Tue, 07-29-2008, 03:53 PM
does someone know what's the quality of [volans] ?
they released 10-13 in both h264 and xvid versions (available at tokyo_tosho)

I dont remember very well, only that second season got more and more difficult to watch for many reasons like boredom, or maybe impossibility to get the humor or things along these ideas.
A quick glimpse tell me it was ok. Anyways it seems that no one was interrested in subbing it anymore, I remember that phase at the beggining of some eps "Please some groupe take this show, for god sake" or something like that.
So I guess your choices will be limited to volans.

Death BOO Z
Sun, 08-10-2008, 07:18 PM
finished the series today.
the 2nd season was a blast, especially after the third episode...
Beware: I'm dropping the bomb.

So much better than Haruhi. like a gazzilion times funnier.

how come this anime didn't get mad popularity like haruhi?

edit:...yes, I meant Haruhi. my point still stands, though I cover in shame.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Do you mean Haruhi?

David75
Sat, 11-01-2008, 04:47 PM
First OAV released by GG:
[gg] Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - 01 [5651802B] mkv 344 Mb @ ggkthx (http://ggkthx.org/Torrents/[gg]_Goku_Sayonara_Zetsubou_Sensei_-_01_[5651802B].mkv.torrent)

I'll give it a try depending on reactions from you guys. Second season was really tiring, so I hope this will be better.

Death BOO Z
Sat, 11-01-2008, 04:57 PM
is any other group planning to sub it?
I don't like gg method of Translation notes, and this series is really depending on those...

David75
Sat, 11-01-2008, 05:01 PM
is any other group planning to sub it?
I don't like gg method of Translation notes, and this series is really depending on those...

I don't know, I just found that one while I was randomly browsing through Mininova.

masamuneehs
Wed, 03-11-2009, 10:13 AM
more despair

gg - Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - episode 02 - mkv (http://ggkthx.org/Torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Goku_Sayonara_Zetsubou_Sensei_-_02_%5BD284BF24%5D.mkv.torrent)

gg - Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - episode 03 - mkv (http://xabin.mine.nu/gg-tracker/torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Goku_Sayonara_Zetsubou_Sensei_-_03_%5BB74046F8%5D.mkv.torrent)

Nadouku
Thu, 03-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Episode 2 was interesting because of the various drawing styles that they used and the progression of the plot (if it had any) was beyond random skits, which made me laugh regardless.

I liked how Nozomu's little history was explained, like how he became known as Mr. Despair, and met little Kafuka. Such a hilarious reaction, as well.