PDA

View Full Version : Forum Changes July 2007

Munsu
Thu, 07-12-2007, 12:51 AM
In an effort to make the forums much better, we decided to make these small changes:

Naruto Manga and Naruto Open Discussion are now merged into one forum.
The Fansubbing forum will be deleted and all threads moved to General Support.
That's all for now. We discussed this extensively for weeks, and after much thought and consideration we decided to pull the trigger now.

We can all thank KitKat for this latest and genius idea, we couldn't have come up with it without her. She'll surely be missed, and we wish the best to her.

complich8
Sat, 07-21-2007, 06:56 PM
And now for some more changes!

Image gallery quotas have been tripled to 90 MB (this was actually a while ago, but I never told anyone about it :p)
Image attachment options have been turned up to allow images up to 1MB to be uploaded directly (so now you can upload those funny pics and cosplays and such straight to the thread, instead of imageshacking them or hotlinking in place).
Attachment Thumbnails for image type attachments have been enabled at a size of 225 pixels. I've rebuilt the thumbnails appropriately to reflect this change.
The reputation threshold to get to a custom user title has been lowered to 1500 points. This means that there's several users who are very, very close. (for comparison, you get your 10th green box at +1300). This puts several users within striking distance of that.
Enabled "Display Age" in the postbit (on the left), for kicks. If you've entered your whole birthdate, it's there.

I'm entertaining the idea of turning the zip/rar attachment options up even higher to allow for individual manga chapter zips to be uploaded... but I'm not sure about that one yet. Feedback is welcome.

Kraco
Sun, 07-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Wow, Complich. Those sound like very good changes indeed. Are you sure you haven't suffered a sudden sunstroke?

Lets hope this will make Psyke post even more pretty cosplay pics... >_>

Munsu
Sun, 07-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Liar, you just want to see more pictures of his wife.

Psyke
Tue, 07-24-2007, 04:26 AM
I didn't even know that one can get a custom title through earning rep points....

As for the display age function it's making me look old so I'm thinking of leaving my age empty. :p

complich8
Tue, 07-24-2007, 04:47 AM
that's "distinguished" :p

.... man, when did it suddenly become cool to be 14 though?

Psyke
Tue, 07-24-2007, 07:36 AM
I wouldn't mind being 14 again. It's not cool to be 14, but you definately got less to worry about at that age. :p

Honoko
Tue, 07-24-2007, 10:23 AM
yeah... I'll still keep my birth year a secret on this :p and stare in awe at the age range in this forum.

Kraco
Wed, 07-25-2007, 10:05 AM
yeah... I'll still keep my birth year a secret on this :p and stare in awe at the age range in this forum.

Well, it's impolite to ask a lady her age, so nobody could blame you anyhow.

I, personally, only hesitate to enter the year because there are very few older people here. And when I visited the largest (and only national) anime/manga convention in Finland a week ago, and was surrounded mostly by 14 years old girls, I felt myself really ancient and, what's more frightening, somewhat out of place...

Edit: I just noticed that with the age tab added, when you browse the list of forum members the tenth green block will be moved to a second row in the current forum layout. It looks a bit... unaesthetic.

Liar, you just want to see more pictures of his wife.
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing pics of them both cosplaying some anime couple(s). But if memory serves Psyke wasn't exactly positive about the prospects of getting his wife to cosplay.

Animeniax
Thu, 07-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Edit: I just noticed that with the age tab added, when you browse the list of forum members the tenth green block will be moved to a second row in the current forum layout. It looks a bit... unaesthetic.
Easy solution for this, quit pulling punches and lose some of those cute green boxes. You know you want to give some people here a piece of your mind.

I was expecting some more drastic changes to the forum to spice this place up. How about changing the layout or at least the color scheme? Maybe use some of that wasted gray space to the sides for advertising or some cool animation or links to stuff. Really it's the post content that makes the forums, so I don't care what it looks like, but I'm trying to keep relevant to the thread topic, when all I really wanted to do is call out Kraco.

Assassin
Sat, 07-28-2007, 07:53 PM
The layout is relatively new, so its unlikely to change anytime soon. And links/animation at the sides will just be tacky and amateur.

Foomanchew24
Tue, 07-31-2007, 09:10 PM
No need to worry about age Psyke, you are who you are. Besides I will stick around so theres always some dude older than you and I refuse to grow up or give a crap what others think of my interests or my age.

Board of Command
Wed, 08-01-2007, 11:04 AM
The layout is relatively new, so its unlikely to change anytime soon. And links/animation at the sides will just be tacky and amateur.
I'm pretty sure this layout has been here for almost two years. Basically, around the same time we ditched Fusetalk.

I also complained about the narrow margins when we first made the switch. It's understandable that this layout is suitable for lower resolutions, but it's safe to assume that nobody is running 800x600 nowadays. I think it's time to make the pages just a little wider so there's less vertical scrolling needed for every page. The profile pane itself takes up 1/4 of every post.

Kraco
Wed, 08-01-2007, 11:15 AM
One major difficulty in making the used space in the layout wider would be the fact the banner images are made for this particular width. So, they would need to be remade or replaced.

complich8
Wed, 08-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I've repeatedly entertained the thought of redoing the whole forum layout in CSS and divs instead of the mostly-tables layout that we've got ...

but it's a frigging lot of tedious work, and even more work making sure it works in ie6 and ie7, with their downright poor support for a lot of really basic css features. Munsu can tell you all about that.

Anyway, I'm not making it happen any time soon.

Also, I run a 1600x1200 or 1680x1050 monitor 95% of the time. But I keep my browser window at somewhere in the neighborhood of 800x900 (800x700 page space), in order to see other things while I'm browsing. The main column width is about 770px wide. If it's going to be made wider than that, it'll have to be able to resize narrower, or it'll piss me off. I dunno about you, maybe you live in f11'ed browsers and enjoy single-tasking, but it's not for me.

If you're willing to develop new and interesting vbulletin skins, I'll entertain the idea of using them assuming they don't suck. But vb skinning is tedious, like I said, so ... if you're not willing to do it yourself, don't expect anyone else to do it :p.

Anyway, it's not July anymore. Thus, time to close the thread :)